Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,260 members, 7,815,420 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:05 PM

Ogun Targets 10,000 Industries - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ogun Targets 10,000 Industries (5158 Views)

Kaduna Govt. To Acquire Peugeot, Targets 90,000 Cars Yearly.. / Pump Price Fraud: We Are Not Involved - Capital Oil And Gas Industries / FG targets one million jobs through growth employment project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ogun Targets 10,000 Industries by bashydemy(m): 10:14am On Sep 14, 2011
Kudos to Amosun ACN 4life
Re: Ogun Targets 10,000 Industries by edicolove: 11:08am On Sep 14, 2011
This is becoming very typical of ACN governors and their supporters. Propaganda after propaganda

1. How can a governor say he will build 10, 000 industries in 4 years. The guy is so silly. Even Lagos as big and industrialized as it is cannot boast of 10, 000 industries. The whole of Agbara and Ilupeju industrial areas plus Oba Akran and Agindingbi and environs cant even boast of 300 industries. And these are the main industrial zones of Lagos. Do you know what 10, 000 industries is? Foolish propaganda

2. When ACN governors talk unrealistic propaganda, ACN supporters quickly jump in here and start praising them and saying trash. But GEJ promises realistic stuff, they say its all talk and promises, no action. Non of them have even bothered to access their governors 100 days in office but are quick to jump on GEJ. Hypocrites!

3. This was how Aregbesola came out and said he has provided 20, 000 jobs. He gathered youths into a hall, invited music artists and comedians to come and perform to them and  said he was training them. Now the youths are back on the streets. They will soon stone him. He now spends almost the whole week in Lagos.

But they will continue to expose themselves. 10, 000 industries ko. This is the height of ignorance and stupidity.
Re: Ogun Targets 10,000 Industries by zabutt(m): 11:24am On Sep 14, 2011
The current industries in Ogun (sango otta) are ripping Nigerians, e.g. there is a plastic manufacturer in our area called "GP", they make plastic water tanks, rubbish bins etc. It is an Indian company that sells their products 30% cheaper in Indian than in Nigeria. During my last visit to Nigeria (last month), I visited Republic of Benin where the electricity is on 24/7 and I was shocked to find out that they buy electricity from Nigeria (through Abekouta grid).
When the government invites all those industries, they must keep an eye on their activities, it seems like most of the industries setup by foreign entities have no competition and they charge what ever they feel like (forget the issue of electricity or bad roads).
Re: Ogun Targets 10,000 Industries by Demdem(m): 11:28am On Sep 14, 2011
edicolove:

This is becoming very typical of ACN governors and their supporters. Propaganda after propaganda

1.[b] How can a governor say he will build 10, 000 industries in 4 years. The guy is so silly. [/b]Even Lagos as big and industrialized as it is cannot boast of 10, 000 industries. The whole of Agbara and Ilupeju industrial areas plus Oba Akran and Agindingbi and environs cant even boast of 300 industries. And these are the main industrial zones of Lagos. Do you know what 10, 000 industries is? Foolish propaganda

2. When ACN governors talk unrealistic propaganda, ACN supporters quickly jump in here and start praising them and saying trash. But GEJ promises realistic stuff, they say its all talk and promises, no action. Non of them have even bothered to access their governors 100 days in office but are quick to jump on GEJ. Hypocrites!

3. This was how Aregbesola came out and said he has provided 20, 000 jobs. He gathered youths into a hall, invited music artists and comedians to come and perform to them and  said he was training them. Now the youths are back on the streets. They will soon stone him. He now spends almost the whole week in Lagos.

But they will continue to expose themselves. 10, 000 industries ko. This is the height of ignorance and stupidity.

1) There is none of such. read the report again:

The current administration of Governor Ibikunle Amosun is determined to increase the number of industries in Ogun State to about 10,000 in the next four years.

The number of companies, which currently is about 1,500, is expected to increase, owing to the creation of a one-stop shop in the Ministry of Commerce and Industry, which will reduce bureaucratic bottlenecks for prospective investors.

The st[b]ate Commissioner for Commerce and Industry, Chief Bimbo Ashiru, disclosed this[/b] during a tour of industries at the Ado Odo-Ota axis of the state.

Chief Ashiru maintained that adequate infrastructure had been put in place to assure investors of optimum returns on their investments, urging them to always reciprocate government’s goodwill through prompt payment of their taxes.

“T[b]he state already has a bad representation of being one of the worst locations to site a business, but the present administration is poised to change that perception through the creation of this one-stop shop for prospective investors in the state,” he stated.[/b]

2) So GEJ's promise to build Airports in all states of the federation is realistic eh? Good for u.

3) i will allow residents on this thread of Osun to comment on that however kindly give evidence that he spends most of his time in lagos than Osun. In the absence of that please stop peddling lies like BEAF.

Their target is to get as much as 10,000 industries into the state. if after 4yrs what they could achieve is 6000 or even 4500, its still worty of commendation considering the numerous challenges the Nigerian ecomomy gives to would be investors.
Re: Ogun Targets 10,000 Industries by zabutt(m): 11:32am On Sep 14, 2011
try coming down to sango (where the main industries are) from Lagos any time (morning, afternoon, evening) and you will have the shock of your life, a 25 kilometer journey will not take less than 2 hours - that is if you are lucky
can someone point out to the transportation department to fix the lagos-abekouta express way that has been dug by gold diggers as there are 2-3 feet pots around that express way
Re: Ogun Targets 10,000 Industries by Pukkah: 11:42am On Sep 14, 2011
edicolove:

1. How can a governor say he will build 10, 000 industries in 4 years. The guy is so silly. Even Lagos as big and industrialized as it is cannot boast of 10, 000 industries. The whole of Agbara and Ilupeju industrial areas plus Oba Akran and Agindingbi and environs cant even boast of 300 industries. And these are the main industrial zones of Lagos. Do you know what 10, 000 industries is? Foolish [/b]propaganda

2. When ACN governors talk unrealistic propaganda, ACN supporters quickly jump in here and start praising them and [b]saying trash
. But GEJ promises realistic stuff, they say its all talk and promises, no action. Non of them have even bothered to access their governors 100 days in office but are quick to jump on GEJ. Hypocrites!

Try and pass your message across without insults or abuses.
Re: Ogun Targets 10,000 Industries by edicolove: 11:45am On Sep 14, 2011
Demdem:

1) There is none of such. read the report again:

The current administration of Governor Ibikunle Amosun is determined to increase the number of industries in Ogun State to about 10,000 in the next four years.

The number of companies, which currently is about 1,500, is expected to increase, owing to the creation of a one-stop shop in the Ministry of Commerce and Industry, which will reduce bureaucratic bottlenecks for prospective investors.

The st[b]ate Commissioner for Commerce and Industry, Chief Bimbo Ashiru, disclosed this[/b] during a tour of industries at the Ado Odo-Ota axis of the state.

Chief Ashiru maintained that adequate infrastructure had been put in place to assure investors of optimum returns on their investments, urging them to always reciprocate government’s goodwill through prompt payment of their taxes.

“T[b]he state already has a bad representation of being one of the worst locations to site a business, but the present administration is poised to change that perception through the creation of this one-stop shop for prospective investors in the state,” he stated.[/b]

2) So GEJ's promise to build Airports in all states of the federation is realistic eh? Good for u.

3) i will allow residents on this thread of Osun to comment on that however kindly give evidence that he spends most of his time in lagos than Osun. In the absence of that please stop peddling lies like BEAF.

Their target is to get as much as 10,000 industries into the state. if after 4yrs what they could achieve is 6000 or even 4500, its still worty of commendation considering the numerous challenges the Nigerian ecomomy gives to would be investors.

So how is what you just quoted different from what I wrote? dem say see oyibo, yo say na fada. Na wa to you o!

And moreover, industries and companies are 2 different things. Lagos has thousands, if not millions of companies. But they dont have 10, 000 industries. If Ogun state creates 10, 000 industries, that will mean that geographical area has the highest density of industries  in the whole of Africa, Europe and the Middle east. Only Asian countries can boast of such density of industries in a similar land area/space.
Re: Ogun Targets 10,000 Industries by edicolove: 11:56am On Sep 14, 2011
Pukkah:

Try and pass your message across without insults or abuses.

If you consider them insults and abuses, fair enough, I apologise.
Re: Ogun Targets 10,000 Industries by ak47mann(m): 12:03pm On Sep 14, 2011
^^^
WELL LET SEE HOW MR GOVERNOR CAN DO THAT cool cool HOPE HE WILL TRY HIS BEST,
Re: Ogun Targets 10,000 Industries by philip0906(m): 12:13pm On Sep 14, 2011
10000 industries in 4 years?unfortunately,we love to swallow lies all in d name of optimism undecided
Re: Ogun Targets 10,000 Industries by edicolove: 12:21pm On Sep 14, 2011
^^^ My brother, you are even kind enough to call it optimism. Its just fool hardiness. He cannot even achieve 1000 industries in 8 years. Dont mind the folly.
Re: Ogun Targets 10,000 Industries by hbrednic: 12:51pm On Sep 14, 2011
10,000 INDUSTRIES? PURE LIE
Re: Ogun Targets 10,000 Industries by manny4life(m): 1:27pm On Sep 14, 2011
10,000?

Well, first let's analyze the size and manpower of these companies. Looking at Macro-economic principles, what goes into a company, I mean in economics, what are the factors of production, assuming manufacturing / production, agriculture

Land ---- Does the state has enough land mass to accommodate 10,000 industries ? Perhaps maybe, or maybe not. Then we have to bring in the raw material factors, as well as other factors involved.

Labor ---- With the amount of jobless youths, labor won't be a problem, but finding skilled workers can pose a dangerous feat.

Capital ---- This is the master of all economic activity. If someone is gonna invest $100,000 per company, they will expect to get some kinda benefit back as well as site their companies where it's viable (environmental factors) which leads me to environmental factors such as infrastructures.

Environment / infrastructures ---- Electricity, transport network, logistics (rail, port, etc), and the list goes on.

So if he hasn't had a lot of these things, it ain't gonna work unless he's talking about small scale production companies with a manpower of 25 or less employees.
Re: Ogun Targets 10,000 Industries by Demdem(m): 1:54pm On Sep 14, 2011
edicolove:

So how is what you just quoted different from what I wrote? dem say see oyibo, yo say na fada. Na wa to you o!

And moreover, industries and companies are 2 different things. Lagos has thousands, if not millions of companies. But they dont have 10, 000 industries. If Ogun state creates 10, 000 industries, that will mean that geographical area has the highest density of industries  in the whole of Africa, Europe and the Middle east. Only Asian countries can boast of such density of industries in a similar land area/space.

Industries, companies etc they are basically commercial enterprises basically for making profits. You can define it to whatever for all i care. The government definitely wont be the one to establish them, all they need to do is simply to create enabling environment which the report is all about. 10000 seems to be an extremely large insurmountable target but who says thinking big in such endeavors is wrong. Kudos once again to the government.
Re: Ogun Targets 10,000 Industries by Demdem(m): 1:59pm On Sep 14, 2011
edicolove:

^^^ My brother, you are even kind enough to call it optimism. Its just fool hardiness. He cannot even achieve 1000 industries in 8 years. Dont mind the folly.

Which of the two promises is much more stup*id:

Amosun: I will create a more enabling environment to achieve my aim of at least 10000 Industries in Ogun in the next 4yrs
GEJ: Within 4yrs, i will establish domestic airports in all the states without airport.

Over to you.
Re: Ogun Targets 10,000 Industries by philip0906(m): 2:28pm On Sep 14, 2011
^^
though the two r senseless,Gej's is more feasible than 10000 industries not shops undecided
Re: Ogun Targets 10,000 Industries by ektbear: 4:15pm On Sep 14, 2011
Demdem:

Amosun: I will create a more enabling environment to achieve my aim of at least 10000 Industries in Ogun in the next 4yrs

Well said. If he creates an enabling environment, then he will have done his part.

Will the end result necessarily be 8.5k new businesses streaming into Ogun? Who can say. Could be more, could be less.

But we'll know he at least completed the work on his end.
Re: Ogun Targets 10,000 Industries by Gbawe: 5:14pm On Sep 14, 2011
ekt_bear:

Well said. If he creates an enabling environment, then he will have done his part.

Will the end result necessarily be 8.5k new businesses streaming into Ogun? Who can say. Could be more, could be less.

But we'll know he at least completed the work on his end.

That is the most important consideration here. Folks can focus on pedantism , numbers and other distractive issues that aid their mischievous argument but the most important and most laudible consideration is that stated below:

“The state already has a bad representation of being one of the worst locations to site a business, but the present administration is poised to change that perception through the creation of this one-stop shop for prospective investors in the state,” he stated.
Re: Ogun Targets 10,000 Industries by ektbear: 5:41pm On Sep 14, 2011
Btw, let's not pooh-pooh small businesses. Even if the average is 25 per, an additional 8.5k creates ~210k direct jobs, and probably a comparable # of indirect jobs.

That is not an insignificant #.

It isn't really big business alone which I think will provide mass employment.
Re: Ogun Targets 10,000 Industries by manny4life(m): 5:57pm On Sep 14, 2011
ekt_bear:

Btw, let's not pooh-pooh small businesses. Even if the average is 25 per, an additional 8.5k creates ~210k direct jobs, and probably a comparable # of indirect jobs.

That is not an insignificant #.

It isn't really big business alone which I think will provide mass employment.

Yeah but you forgot, how do 210k people travel daily (transportation), if each company produce 10k items daily, what networks are there to coordinate logistics ? I mean how do you coordinate 8.5k x 10k = 85k items daily? How do you generate electricity to produce 85k items daily?

When mr gov answers all relevant questions, then these 8.5k companies can come to play if not, it's just BS, it ain't gonna work.
Re: Ogun Targets 10,000 Industries by ektbear: 6:00pm On Sep 14, 2011
Regarding electricity, Ogun State has a gas pipeline running through it. And in Agbara and Ota you can get shell to extend their pipeline (by up to 100 meters) to pump natural gas. So if your property is within 100 meters or so of the pipeline (or already in an industrial estate), you can get sufficient gas for electricity.

You can confirm all of this by calling Shell Nigeria on the phone, if you like.

Regarding the rest, transportation/roads/etc, I dunno.
Re: Ogun Targets 10,000 Industries by ektbear: 6:28pm On Sep 14, 2011
I've suggested this before on NL. But imo the fastest way to get to 10k businesses is for the governor to open up new industrial estates and cut out this extra work of providing power.

What if he decides to install a 10 MW power plant powered by natural gas himself? He provides the electricity and small businesses sign up to be wired to his grid. Textile shops, food processing plants, all sorts of small businesses like this.

That way the textile manufacturer, all he has to do is to buy the raw cloth and his equipment and labor, not worry also about providing power for himself.

By doing this, he makes it easier for smaller people to start businesses. And I am sure that he can fill the demand fairly easily.

This is the sort of thing I would do if I wanted to make 10k businesses in Ogun State by 2015 a reality, if I were in charge.
Re: Ogun Targets 10,000 Industries by bashydemy(m): 7:32pm On Sep 14, 2011
to those that have been pointing accuse finger on Amosun you can go to hell for all i care he as been performing since day so if he promise to crate 10.000 industry does that mean he is using the state fund? all he is going to do is create space for foreign investor simple
Re: Ogun Targets 10,000 Industries by Gbawe: 7:44pm On Sep 14, 2011
bashy_demy:

to those that have been pointing accuse finger on Amosun you can go to hell for all i care he as been performing since day so if he promise to crate 10.000 industry does that mean he is using the state fund? all he is going to do is create space for foreign investor simple

What you state here cannot be over-emphasized enough. I would not appreciate how potentially effective this effort from Amosun is if I did not have first hand experience of the bureacratic bottlenecks that makes setting up and doing business in Nigeria far more difficult than it needs to be.

People should forget whether it is 2000, 5000 or 10,000. The 10,000 itself is a target anyway . It is not what should be the object of focus and attention. I am more delighted in the fact that Amosun has correctly recognized the need for a "one-stop shop" for potential investors in Ogun State. It is what many business men have been suggesting to State and federal Government for ages. It takes a leader that wants change to do this because a "one-stop shop" will curtail all the extortion-like dough being collected from the many 'sectors' created unnecessarily to provide more avenue of cynically 'shaking down' potential investors and business folks.
Re: Ogun Targets 10,000 Industries by aletheia(m): 8:08pm On Sep 14, 2011
ekt_bear:

What if he decides to install a 10 MW power plant powered by natural gas himself? He provides the electricity and small businesses sign up to be wired to his grid. Textile shops, food processing plants, all sorts of small businesses like this.
^Quite sensible approach. . .but I can bet my bottom dollar that that will not be done.

It is good to be optimistic but I believe this is just the usual empty rhetoric from politicians. The sad thing is that so many on this thread who ought to be more discerning are allowing themselves to be carried away by empty platitudes that sound nice but are really lacking in specifics and substance.

The part highlighted above is rather vague. It provides no specific roadmap for how to get from 1,500 companies to 10,000 companies in 4 years. How? Someone highlighted the very important need for capital above. How does "one-stop shop" address access to capital for prospective small business owners, access to low-interest loans or microfinance schemes?

We should be wary of politicians' sound bytes.
Re: Ogun Targets 10,000 Industries by manny4life(m): 8:19pm On Sep 14, 2011
ekt_bear:

I've suggested this before on NL. But imo the fastest way to get to 10k businesses is for the governor to open up new industrial estates and cut out this extra work of providing power.

That way the textile manufacturer, all he has to do is to buy the raw cloth and his equipment and labor, not worry also about providing power for himself.

By doing this, he makes it easier for smaller people to start businesses. And I am sure that he can fill the demand fairly easily.

This is the sort of thing I would do if I wanted to make 10k businesses in Ogun State by 2015 a reality, if I were in charge.

Quite a modest approach particularly if we are aiming at manufacturing and developing. However; electricity is just 1 out of several problems that plague this industry. Not only does he have to install this amount, having good logistic network for these folks is VERY important. The ability for vendors (delivery of raw materials) and consumers (wholesalers through local international trade) to reach their manufacturers is very important as well. Solve first

A. Capital Resource availability

B. Infrastructures Development (logistic network - building, rail, roads, trade depot, waterways, etc)

C. Human resource in-sourcing
Re: Ogun Targets 10,000 Industries by funkybaby(f): 9:20pm On Sep 14, 2011
@thread

lots of nice ideas here.

i hope amosun and his aides are taking notes smiley grin
Re: Ogun Targets 10,000 Industries by eunisam: 9:31pm On Sep 14, 2011
thisis wonderful! How possible is it going to be?
Re: Ogun Targets 10,000 Industries by edicolove: 10:54pm On Sep 14, 2011
1. The idea to industrilise their state has already been muted by over 15 governors. Amosun is not the first.
2. Some people are still saying 10,000 industries. That is fantasy not reality.
3. Industries and companies are not the same thing. Stop using them interchangeably
4. Creating space for industries is not enough to make people come to your state and start an industry. They have like 36(state) choices. There has to be things that will make them come including:

Raw Materials (Ogun has very few natural resources)
Power (Ogun has no power plant)
Rail system/transportation facilities (Ogun has no airport or seaport)
Finance (Ogun is not a wealthy state)

If he is really sincere, he should pick achievable goals and grow from there (crawl before you walk). Ogun is more like a Lagos spillover. He could take advantage of the facilities Lagos has. But to go to press and say he will increase the number of industries in Ogun State to about 10,000 in the next four years, means he is not sincere. Just doing propaganda. The good thing though is that this page has been booked marked. We will refer to it in 2015.
Re: Ogun Targets 10,000 Industries by ektbear: 12:17am On Sep 15, 2011
gonna address the points raised in the pessimistic posts, but i can already tell this will take time and energy

I'll return to this thread at some point later
Re: Ogun Targets 10,000 Industries by jason123: 12:22am On Sep 15, 2011
edicolove:

1. The idea to industrilise their state has already been muted by over 15 governors. Amosun is not the first.
2. Some people are still saying 10,000 industries. That is fantasy not reality.
3. Industries and companies are not the same thing. Stop using them interchangeably
4. Creating space for industries is not enough to make people come to your state and start an industry. They have like 36(state) choices. There has to be things that will make them come including:

Raw Materials (Ogun has very few natural resources)
Power (Ogun has no power plant)
Rail system/transportation facilities (Ogun has no airport or seaport)
Finance (Ogun is not a wealthy state)

If he is really sincere, he should pick achievable goals and grow from there (crawl before you walk). Ogun is more like a Lagos spillover. He could take advantage of the facilities Lagos has. But to go to press and say he will increase the number of industries in Ogun State to about 10,000 in the next four years, means he is not sincere. Just doing propaganda. The good thing though is that this page has been booked marked. We will refer to it in 2015.

Ogun does not just have "very few" resources. Everything is not about oil. What about Bitumen and Iron ore??
@Highlighted
VERY CORRECT AND WELL PUT!!!
Re: Ogun Targets 10,000 Industries by bashydemy(m): 1:05am On Sep 15, 2011
All i ever want is for the ACN Governor to surprise there Enemy PDP supporters on NL

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Mimiko Formally Declares Second Term Bid / Oby Ezekwesili blasts Nigerian lawmakers for “disrespecting” Okonjo-Iweala / Don't Re-arrest Kanu - Boko Haram Warns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.