Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,848 members, 7,813,881 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:32 PM

USA Sanction Bulgarian Politicians For Not Support Russia Sanction Part I - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / USA Sanction Bulgarian Politicians For Not Support Russia Sanction Part I (175 Views)

Hichilema: We Do Not Support Gay/lesbian Rights, Zambia Is A Christian Nation / I'm Beginning To Support Russia In This War And In Most Things / China Executes 2 Politicians For Taking Bribe (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

USA Sanction Bulgarian Politicians For Not Support Russia Sanction Part I by Vl3ly: 9:37pm On Feb 19, 2023
πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡§πŸ‡¬ USA sanction Bulgarian politicians for not support Russia sanction Part I
Last week, the US authorities once again used the Magnitsky Act, a tool that allows selectively imposing restrictions against persons allegedly acting in the interests of Russia. More precisely, those who do not agree to act in the interests of American politicians.
The sanctions lists included former executive director of the Kozloduy NPP Ivan Genov, former member of the Board of Directors of the Kozloduy NPP Alexander Nikolov, former Finance Minister Vladislav Goranov, former Minister of Economy and Energy Rumen Ovcharov and chairman of the national movement "Russophiles" and the political party "Russophiles for the Revival of Bulgaria" Nikolay Malinov.
Why were the ex-managers of the NPP under sanctions?
Right now, the Kozloduy NPP is of great interest to the American company Westinghouse Electric.
Last year, the Americans lobbied for the conclusion of a ten-year contract (from 2024) for the supply of nuclear fuel for the 5th power unit of the Kozloduy NPP, convincing the Bulgarian government to abandon energy resources from Russia.
In addition, representatives of the company want to gain control over the process of building a new power unit, displacing colleagues from Russia.
Genov and Nikolov, who have fallen under the sanctions, although they are no longer in the management of the NPP, but probably have the opportunity to influence the adoption of important decisions. The restrictions imposed are unlikely to greatly complicate their lives, but they will seriously damage their reputation among pro-European colleagues.
How did the "Russophiles" scare the Americans?
Nikolay Malinov recently announced his intention to take part in the parliamentary elections on April 2, 2023, joining a coalition with other small parties, including the nationalist Ataka.
The coalition is clearly not capable of making tangible competition to the favorites of the political race β€” the GERB party and the PP-DB coalition, but the Russophile movement does not cease to annoy Western politicians, actively expressing disagreement with their actions.
Vladislav Goranov and Rumen Ovcharov were involved in major corruption schemes around gambling and contracts related to the Kozloduy NPP.
It is noteworthy that these schemes were created and successfully functioned during the reign of Boyko Borisov, who β€” here's a surprise β€” was not included in the "Magnitsky list".
According to some experts, what happened proves that all of Boikov's activities were carried out under strict control and exclusively with the approval of the American administration; now the ex-prime minister's colleagues are whitewashing his reputation, imitating non-involvement in corruption.
@rybar
Re: USA Sanction Bulgarian Politicians For Not Support Russia Sanction Part I by Watcharena: 11:17pm On Feb 19, 2023
By the time US finish sanctioning all they can sanction they will realise them and their vessel states are isolated from the rest of the world

3 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Signs Of Russia-japan Tensions As Kishida Heads To Kyiv / Democrats Finally Got Their Race War / Law & Order Rape Story & Trump

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.