Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,371 members, 7,819,333 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:34 PM

Opinion:going To University In Nigeria Is A Waste Of Time - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Opinion:going To University In Nigeria Is A Waste Of Time (1085 Views)

I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? / Carpenter With No Child Sends 33 Strangers To University With Life Savings / Debate : Is Educating Female Child A Waste Of Resources? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Opinion:going To University In Nigeria Is A Waste Of Time by OdogwuMoney6: 6:25pm On Feb 20, 2023
Honestly I feel like going to University in this country is a total waste of time if you looking to acquire quality education that would make you fit to compete with other countries on an international level... To me, if you can't afford to go to school abroad, don't even think about it, not even private schools in Naija... The money you will spend in going to school for five years,to go and learn one course from extremely terrible, lazy Nigerian lecturers who don't know how to teach, use that money to look for where to invest or start up multiple businesses.. Nigeria teachers and lecturers are next to useless because most of them dont know how to teach and This country currently does not have the facilities required to produce world class students..... Our parents and secondary schools need to start teaching kids the art of business and investment at an early age because of the kind of country we live in...Education in Naija Na nonsense...
I wish someone told me something like this when I graduated from sec school and got admission to uni in 2017(at 16 years old) all the money I was saving to buy clothes and shoes, all the money I was saving to lodge babes during school break (in excess of 100k+), all the money I was wasting on bet9ja, I would have saved those funds to look for where to invest and I believe if I had that mindset then, I would have become a crypto millionaire at a young age because I knew I probably would have found out about crypto early in quest to find where to invest...

Myndd44
Farano
Richiez
olawalebabs

1 Like

Re: Opinion:going To University In Nigeria Is A Waste Of Time by madridguy(m): 6:30pm On Feb 20, 2023
Leave story and be thankful for having a first degree. You won't understand how lucky you are until you start opening some doors with the certificate.

2 Likes

Re: Opinion:going To University In Nigeria Is A Waste Of Time by OdogwuMoney6: 6:32pm On Feb 20, 2023
madridguy:
Leave story and be thankful for having a first degree. You won't understand how lucky you are until you start opening some doors with the certificate.

Oga, I don't have any yeye first degree

1 Like

Re: Opinion:going To University In Nigeria Is A Waste Of Time by Jashub: 6:34pm On Feb 20, 2023
Except you're studying law or medicine, a degree is just worthless in Nigeria.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Opinion:going To University In Nigeria Is A Waste Of Time by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 7:09pm On Feb 20, 2023
Jashub:

You are right. Career courses are good.
Re: Opinion:going To University In Nigeria Is A Waste Of Time by aylive02(m): 7:11pm On Feb 20, 2023
You're right. But a typical urchin can never understand this.

1 Like

Re: Opinion:going To University In Nigeria Is A Waste Of Time by inforesource: 10:47pm On Feb 20, 2023
My first day of attending lecture in LASU those days was my last. My friends begged me tire, I no gree. What!!! Unfortunately, Nigerians are stucked in it, no other options except the expensive private ones, which are not accessible by many.

1 Like

Re: Opinion:going To University In Nigeria Is A Waste Of Time by Nobody: 10:55pm On Feb 20, 2023
When you study in Europe you will appreciate Nigerian lecturers for even taking time to try explain things to you.
Over there lecturers come to class with PowerPoint slides and do presentation of abstract ideas. It is now your responsibility as student to read up and do self study.

Besides that, university experience is not just academic learning, it also makes you exposed. Even if you graduate with 3rd class and never use your certificate, you'd be better off than if you didn't go at all.

A lot of lecturers are terrible. Agreed. Had many of those in my first degree. But it's still worthwhile - friends made, cultures learned, self development, virtues learnt, etc. It's worthwhile.

6 Likes

Re: Opinion:going To University In Nigeria Is A Waste Of Time by Jashub: 10:59pm On Feb 20, 2023
crows2ravens:
When you study in Europe you will appreciate Nigerian lecturers for even taking time to explain things to you.
Over there lecturers come to class with PowerPoint slides and do presentation of abstract ideas. It is now your responsibility as student to read up and do self study.

Besides that, university experience is not just academic learning, it also makes you exposed. Even if you graduate with 3rd class and never use your certificate, you'd be better off than if you didn't go at all.
Nigerian lecturers do the same thing oga. In my chemical engineering department, we had alot of doctors and professors coming to show slides of mathematical greek. It was up to us to make research and gain insight of what they were saying ...or at least trying to teach.

2 Likes

Re: Opinion:going To University In Nigeria Is A Waste Of Time by Nobody: 11:15pm On Feb 20, 2023
Jashub:
Nigerian lecturers do the same thing oga. In my chemical engineering department, we had alot of doctors and professors coming to show slides of mathematical greek. It was up to us to make research and gain insight of what they were saying ...or at least trying to teach.

Sorry I finished some 15 years ago, few lecturers even had laptops, desktops were more common. so they must use whiteboard.
So if they use slides now it means it's the same thing everywhere.
But I still give it to some nigerian universities. Despite bad standards, they still manage to give some value.
The top ten ranking on webometrics shows them. You should also know even in the same school some departments are just terrible.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opinion:going To University In Nigeria Is A Waste Of Time by sacajawea: 1:42am On Feb 21, 2023
Yawns
Not well articulated, not what I expected to hear
Re: Opinion:going To University In Nigeria Is A Waste Of Time by clockwisereport: 1:46am On Feb 21, 2023
Jashub:

Law?

Hahahaha

3 Likes

Re: Opinion:going To University In Nigeria Is A Waste Of Time by Nobody: 4:09am On Feb 21, 2023
OdogwuMoney6:
Honestly I feel like going to University in this country is a total waste of time if you looking to acquire quality education that would make you fit to compete with other countries on an international level... To me, if you can't afford to go to school abroad, don't even think about it, not even private schools in Naija... The money you will spend in going to school for five years,to go and learn one course from extremely terrible, lazy Nigerian lecturers who don't know how to teach, use that money to look for where to invest or start up multiple businesses.. Nigeria teachers and lecturers are next to useless because most of them dont know how to teach and This country currently does not have the facilities required to produce world class students..... Our parents and secondary schools need to start teaching kids the art of business and investment at an early age because of the kind of country we live in...Education in Naija Na nonsense...
I wish someone told me something like this when I graduated from sec school and got admission to uni in 2017(at 16 years old) all the money I was saving to buy clothes and shoes, all the money I [b]was saving to lodge babes during school break (in excess of 100k+), all the money I was wasting on bet9ja, [/b]I would have saved those funds to look for where to invest and I believe if I had that mindset then, I would have become a crypto millionaire at a young age because I knew I probably would have found out about crypto early in quest to find where to invest...

Myndd44
Farano
Richiez
olawalebabs

Me I don't understand how you will come out of your school with one kobo knowledge. Anyway you try sef because you can write a comprehensible story.

Imagine lodging babes and getting involved in gambling as a student!

Na pussy go full your head na!

1 Like

Re: Opinion:going To University In Nigeria Is A Waste Of Time by Cashio(m): 5:35am On Feb 21, 2023
As someone who spent 6 years on the streets before gaining admission into the university, I can categorically tell you that school refines.
It becomes a disappointment when you so much rely on the certificate instead of relying on the overall development.
On the same pedestal, a University graduate who eventually went into business will do better and package better than a non graduate.
A graduate who ended up driving Keke or danfo bus will do better and present better than a non graduate.
And so on.
I left so many friends on the streets to go to school and guess what, when I travel home and get to meet those my old time niggahs who never went to School, it us easily observed that our reasonings no longer align.
Re: Opinion:going To University In Nigeria Is A Waste Of Time by smart8956: 10:55am On Feb 21, 2023
Don't be angry bro.
It depends on what you want. If your brain is telling you to depend on certificate for job after school, you'll suffer as a man because that's women mentality. As a man you should be creative, do part-time work and having experienced, few years later when you realize what is giving you some quick and steady cash, you'll invest more on it.
I'm a medical student but I tell you medical student are the poorest until they start working. Why? because of the time we give into study while others like you in business, engineering are doing some side work.
Soon or later before we even finish clinicals most of you are driving.
Don't be against education, look at what you can offer to the society in return you're gaining something. After I discovered the secret, I start up something, and one day when I saw the money coming before I travel out, I wanted to go mad to say why waste my time all this while? It's just a little shift in the brain thinking further than your peer and there, you hit.
Today I have a software company, I have my app people are downloading and every month subscription I received disbursement. I told myself medicine will not give me what I want, and it's true because no doctor will employ 20staff and paying them good salary that enables them to pay their children fees. But tech can. Facebook, Microsoft, MTN, DStv,Amazon, jumia, konga, paystack, flutterwaves, Kuda and lots of tech companies out there employ hundreds -thousands of staffs and they're paying them good amount. That was my mentality it's not JuJu or illuminatic whatever.
So op leave the idea that Nigerian school is not doing well, they're doing well otherwise Saudi Arabia, UK, USA and other countries won't be coming to steal our doctors behind close doors.
Discover what you want and work towards it while passing through school.
I've build softwares for companies in Nigeria and abroad in real estate, tech , news and blogs including bigger churches like Winners Chapel. I'm a programmer and a med student, you see the combo?
Email: info.lightcloud@gmail.com
I'll respond.
Re: Opinion:going To University In Nigeria Is A Waste Of Time by seanwilliam(m): 1:16pm On Feb 21, 2023
If you’re not studying STEM and medical related courses , don’t rely on your certificate.
Re: Opinion:going To University In Nigeria Is A Waste Of Time by GentleChief: 2:28pm On Feb 21, 2023
In a way, you are right. Because education in Nigeria is bastardized.

But on the other hand, you have commited fallacy of hasty generalization.

I am in Europe today because I had a degree. If I didnt get my degree in Nigeria, I wouldn't have been able to travel.

Imagine what I would have been passing through under the corpse called Buhari undecided undecided

So, education is good. It can open doors.

1 Like

Re: Opinion:going To University In Nigeria Is A Waste Of Time by Blake755: 6:27pm On Feb 21, 2023
See person wey don get degree dey tell others make the no get degree nah wa oooo
Re: Opinion:going To University In Nigeria Is A Waste Of Time by Uyi168: 8:27pm On Feb 21, 2023
Jashub:
law na yeye course.

the only good thing about medicine and most medical courses is their relevance even outside the country.

1 Like

Re: Opinion:going To University In Nigeria Is A Waste Of Time by Uyi168: 8:31pm On Feb 21, 2023
OdogwuMoney6:
Oga, I don't have any yeye first degree

u know all of these about Nigeria universities, yet u don't have any degree. how come?

(1) (Reply)

Women: A Chemical Analysis / Cultural Influences / Uniosun In Okuku

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.