Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,615 members, 7,813,021 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:26 AM

I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? (39934 Views)

Reno Omokri: Avoid Your School Alumni Whatsapp Forum If You Are Wealthy / Bowen University Creates New Portal For Revalidation Of Alumni Data / Katsina Govt Bans Whatsapp Groups In Schools & Prohibits Facebook Among Workers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by VinnyBaba: 8:01am On Apr 17
In my Secondary School and University WhatsApp groups,
I hardly Comment or make contributions. sad

I see them online talking about social media trends, Our School days, Visitations,etc and I always Wonder 'Do these Pple have Jobs and ambitions?'.

I talked to a Friend of mine About this and he said 'I am Anti-Social or an Introvert'. embarassed

But Really, I see those Alumni WhatsApp Groups as an Organization of Time Wasters. undecided

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Comment.

48 Likes 6 Shares

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by Lalami3232(m): 8:02am On Apr 17
Na person wey no get money to buy beer na say E dey bitter

280 Likes 16 Shares

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by janedonez(m): 8:07am On Apr 17
VinnyBaba:

I see them online talking about social media trends, Our School days, Visitations,etc and I always Wonder 'Do these Pple have Jobs and ambitions?'.

I talked to a Friend of mine About this and he said 'I am Anti-Social or an Introvert'. embarassed

But Really, I see those Alumni WhatsApp Groups as an Organization of Time Wasters. undecided

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Comment.
Nplfmod.

True, especially those University groups where there was no sincere cohesion and bonding during school days, whatever they are doing now is just a waste of time because those negative perception will still be in the minds of many amongst them. Everyone should just Face themselves or mini groups that they share Same ideologies together.

My Uni Class mates could best be described as evil & treacherous. The only that got us together then was the schools administration, otherwise we had nothing in common to show that love ever existed.
Some of them felt exams was their sure way to achieving their goals in life, woe betide you if on exam day you ask them anything, not as if you didn't prepare but just a little reminder you will be snubbed😎, is that the. same person you will wish to share any space with again in life? Not again

170 Likes 20 Shares

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by Sapasenator: 8:13am On Apr 17
My alumni, they are only interested in contributing money for birthdays and burial ceremonies.

We Nigerians, are never good at harnessing the power of a group to achieve great success or solve a problem.

255 Likes 21 Shares

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by dkidd: 8:13am On Apr 17
It's just an avenue to meet old friends, lovers and fuckbuddies and see if anything fun and pleasure related can come up. Heck they even set up meetings and hangouts to that effect. And some old sparks get rekindled married or not and then complications sets in. In life u get past a stage and u keep going forward no looking backwards. Especially in today's world where discipline and loyalty is outdated. I pity married men who allow their wives engage in such groups. If no be say I dey principled the married women when full my contact from these groups and those steady flooding my vision with blinding green lights for dey get am hot hot. I no like karma for that department at all so I respect myself. There's no real reason to be in such groups

114 Likes 11 Shares

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by immortalcrown(m): 8:15am On Apr 17
It depends on your alma mater.

My secondary school alumni association donates money for sick members and for members hosting events. Those hosting events are not mandated to give the association anything. Accept the alumni's donation and serve the alumni whatever you can afford. Two or three years ago, they talked about asking members in diaspora to help members in Nigeria to japa. But that topic didn't get a serious attention.

My university alumni association sponsors dinner night for graduating students every year and occasionally call members for get-together events without mandatory contributions from members. The graduating students contribute money for the dinner but the alumni association donates a substantial amount for that. The rich ones silently donate the money.

But in the case of my university alumni association, I can say that the university lays the foundation. The university funds students parties. I mean, students do not contribute money for things like freshers' party and final-year party, unless the students willingly tax themselves to add somethings to the party. The school provides basic requirements for such parties. Also, students do not spend a dime on Students Council (Students Union Government) elections. No room to squander money in the name of SUG.

136 Likes 13 Shares

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by dkidd: 8:16am On Apr 17
Lalami3232:
It's actually for jobless, unproductive and less busy people

20 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by VinnyBaba: 8:17am On Apr 17
Sapasenator:
My alumni, they are only interested in contributing money for birthdays and burial ceremonies.

We are never good at harnessing the power of a group to achieve great success or solve a problem.

Na that Burial ceremony dey Tire me Pass. undecided

Some even Travel Distances to such Burial ceremonies.🤨

I am always like 'So this Person does not Have a Job or Things to do with his/her Time'? 🤨😒

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by Sapasenator: 8:19am On Apr 17
VinnyBaba:

Na that Burial ceremony dey Tire me Pass. undecided

Some even Travel Distances to such Burial ceremonies.🤨

I am always like 'So this Person does not Have a Job or Things to do with his/her Time'? 🤨😒

It was a waste of my time and I had to leave the group.

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by EreluRoz: 8:48am On Apr 17
I don't do those group wareva for personal reasons.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by VinnyBaba: 8:53am On Apr 17
dkidd:
It's just an avenue to meet old friends, lovers and fuckbuddies and see if anything fun and pleasure related can come up. Heck they even set up meetings and hangouts to that effect. And some old sparks get rekindled married or not and then complications sets in. In life u get past a stage and u keep going forward no looking backwards. Especially in today's world where discipline and loyalty is outdated. I pity married men who allow their wives engage in such groups. If no be say I dey principled the married women when full my contact from these groups and those steady flooding my vision with blinding green lights for dey get am hot hot. I no like karma for that department at all so I respect myself. There's no real reason to be in such groups

Lol, That's when there is a Reunion Party. smiley

Things like that must definitely occur in such Gatherings.

Especially when Broke Nigga back then, is now a SA to a Governor or a Big Politician!
Some female coursemates will Try get his contact and later do 'Business' with him. wink cool

45 Likes 7 Shares

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by DyingFetus: 8:56am On Apr 17
I don't give a shit about alumni group chat as I stopped using Whatsapp immediately I graduated but

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by Ibechris2: 9:00am On Apr 17
U can advice them to convert the idea to business.

U can reach out to some of them who are capable like u and set up a business by contributing to the business.

E.g if the capable hands are up to 10 people,each person's can come up with 5million and that amounts to 50million and u can look for one good business u guys can do and make good cash.

It is not yet awaste until u proposes an idea such as this to them. And if they refused,come down with the value and continue until u find out that it is indeed a waste.

VinnyBaba:

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Comment.
Nplfmod.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by Holluwhakemmy(f): 9:17am On Apr 17
I maintain my privacy I refused to be added

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by Talkisneeded: 10:24am On Apr 17
I'm always there, but I ever text until I was chosen to be the secretary...

It was tough that year...

I sell herbs Tho

7 Likes

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by Obainoman6: 11:47am On Apr 17
EreluRoz:
I don't do those group wareva for personal reasons.
Because they know you as a psycho, EreluRoz psycho.

5 Likes

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by Obainoman6: 11:49am On Apr 17
Lol, may ogun kill my alumni group for there, alumni group for people wey no love themselves in real life.

Human beings are wicked and evil and they pretend a lot,

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by drnoel: 11:49am On Apr 17
VinnyBaba:

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Comment.
Nplfmod.

Not all, my alumni uni group is very active and has helped communities. My sec school not so much. It depends

8 Likes

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by femtex007(m): 12:39pm On Apr 17
Some are there to claim level and monitor others progress

71 Likes 8 Shares

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by AngelicDamsel(f): 12:39pm On Apr 17
I left all school groups.

Fake love and connection, it only favours those in cliques back then in school.

Those of us that do not belong are spied at.

They just want to track your progress in life and contributions are opportunities to show off.

Meanwhile, in the next 40 years most of us will be gone, just like the picture below.

Timoleon:
all the children died before the adults?

I think the surviving children are the adults in the picture.

35 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by tollyboy5(m): 12:39pm On Apr 17
As graduate I deleted the group soft

6 Likes

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by IbrahimSkiba(f): 12:39pm On Apr 17
cool
Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by Promismike(m): 12:39pm On Apr 17
Ok
Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by Meerahbel: 12:40pm On Apr 17
grin
Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by franchasofficia: 12:40pm On Apr 17
VinnyBaba:

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Comment.
Ignore the messages you don't want to see.

1 Like

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by Sonnobax15(m): 12:40pm On Apr 17
lipsrsealed
Op my guy,the truth is that I used to be like you.......I used to see my former classmates as 'Carry-body' type of people because of one or two of them that were always fond of boasting of their achievements in life......I even remember when one of them once said and I quote --"That those people who were taking the first and second positions in class back then can't stand and talk in the same podium where they who were known as the olodos of our class now speak'. He was clearly throwing tantrums at me and I could sense it......That was when I realized it was high time I left the group for them....

Las las,I was added back grin

Now fast forward to last two weeks,one of the greatest help and assistance I've had in my life came from that particular group...I was indeed shocked cheesy

82 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by yuzjet(m): 12:41pm On Apr 17
Well if utilized properly, it suppose to be for helping others and not losing contacts with old mates.

In my Uni Whatsapp Group (Can't waste my time on secondary school whatsapp group), we still assist ourselves on admission and updates on anything relating to our field, especially new trends for former colleagues still unemployed. And they have been helpful.

Many have japad successfully through that.

Just that in Nigeria, cruise is our top priorities in anything.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by Sheuns(m): 12:41pm On Apr 17
You that have a job, I want to believe you work 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 30/31 days a month, 365/366 days a year.

It’s childish to think that because people talk about trends on your group means they’re jobless or you that don’t talk is more busy than some of them there.

I am on several group chats of old school friends, I barely say anything cos I don’t have what to say or just contribute to discussions that are important. It’s not that I’m the busiest person or those that discuss are jobless.

My secondary school Alunmi group is very useful and helpful to me. I remember a few weeks ago my younger brother's phone was stolen at gun point, I had to call the guy that added me to the group to ask if he knows anyone that works in the bank my brother banks with. He got me a contact in less than 3 minutes and the contact successfully helped me put the account on PND. This was around 10pm at night.

Several other connections are there to be made and used.

89 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by Hndrrxxx(m): 12:41pm On Apr 17
Vgg
Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by Kcfresh2103(m): 12:41pm On Apr 17
grin how to leave the group is my major problem now. I have discovered that the major reason why my group was set up is for some guys to show off. Unnecessary show off. Secondly, our head girl has factionalized the whole system. What ever she and her cacus members decide is final. I don pay money for burial tire. Those who do not have money to pay for any events are being discriminated against.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by Emeka71(m): 12:41pm On Apr 17
Lalami3232:
Tinubu factor.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Things You Never Knew Would Do The Trick (photos) / DSS Shuts Abuja School, Sacks 140 Teachers Over Request For Better Welfare / Three Abia State University Lecturers Die On The Same Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.