Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,103 members, 7,835,731 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:00 PM

Seriously Can Nigeria Be Developed In 18 Months? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Seriously Can Nigeria Be Developed In 18 Months? (4114 Views)

Nigeria To End Petrol Imports In 18 Months – Kachikwu / Buhari Was Right, All Regions Will Not Be Developed Equally By The Fg. / Salaries: Strike Imminent In 18 States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Seriously Can Nigeria Be Developed In 18 Months? by Blackteeth(m): 1:51pm On Sep 12, 2011
I feel uncomfortable whenever people here say Jonthan is a failure because he has been in office for 18 months and Nigeria still has high unemployment, insecurity, power failures, corruption etc. Is it not inappropriate to think that a president can tackle all that in a space of 18 months? How does that sound possible to you guys? I think the questions we should be asking are:
WHAT SEEDS IS THE PRESIDENT SOWING FOR THE FUTURE?
IS HE SOWING THE RIGHT SEEDS?
The present state of Nigeria is not one that we can say a president is sworn-in today then within 18 months unemployment, corruption and infastructural decay varnishes just like that. Na magic?? Nigeria should currently be in a state of sowing viable seeds which should bear fruits in 5 to 15 years depending on the kind of problem. Sowing a seed to taclke issues like unemployment or corruption is not what can bear fruits within 18 months due to factors we should be aware of. Please you guys watch your words and stop saying things that are not possible
Re: Seriously Can Nigeria Be Developed In 18 Months? by igbo2011(m): 2:03pm On Sep 12, 2011
Nigeria should be developing by 15% a year but it needs to have the government support infant industries and start exporting MORE. Invest more in science and technology. We need to make our own computers, TVs, clothes, shoes, etc. We import everything when we have the opportunity to export. What is Goodluck waiting for?
Re: Seriously Can Nigeria Be Developed In 18 Months? by Blackteeth(m): 2:12pm On Sep 12, 2011
Do you have any proof that Jonathan isn't laying any foundation for some of what you mentioned above. Or are you just waiting to read them on papers first?
Re: Seriously Can Nigeria Be Developed In 18 Months? by Blackteeth(m): 2:18pm On Sep 12, 2011
Even those things metioned can take 10 years to accomplish fully. Its not an 18 months thing.
Re: Seriously Can Nigeria Be Developed In 18 Months? by kodewrita(m): 3:48pm On Sep 12, 2011
Any laws passed recently?, (silence)

Any sacred cows put to the sword?, (even more silence).

Any major pending projects commissioned and completed ?, (the silence is getting irritating).

Any new major forward-looking policy changes in sports, (sound of the breeze)

In power, (still silence)

In mining, (silence).

Main output: Plans, communiques, retreats, strategy sessions, intentions, goals, aims, reasons, motives, anything but action.
Re: Seriously Can Nigeria Be Developed In 18 Months? by PointB: 4:11pm On Sep 12, 2011
kodewrita:

Any major pending projects commissioned and completed ?, (the silence is getting irritating).

In mining, (silence).

Main output: Plans, communiques, retreats, strategy sessions, intentions, goals, aims, reasons, motives, anything but action.

Those are seeds he was talking about. He who fails to plan, plans to fail.

“If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six hours sharpening my ax”. Abraham Lincoln
Re: Seriously Can Nigeria Be Developed In 18 Months? by blacksta(m): 4:17pm On Sep 12, 2011
PointB:

“If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six hours sharpening my ax”. Abraham Lincoln

Lol - Unfortunately this does not apply to Nigeria - concept of sharpening the tool is totally absent. Infrastructure promises here and there yet no plans on how to achieve such plans.
Re: Seriously Can Nigeria Be Developed In 18 Months? by PointB: 4:22pm On Sep 12, 2011
blacksta:

Lol - Unfortunately this does not apply to Nigeria - concept of sharpening the tool is totally absent. Infrastructure promises here and there yet no plans on how to achieve such plans.

No plans!

Some are saying there are too many plans and no action, now you are saying no plans? Na wa oo. I tire for Nairalanders.
Did you really mean to say that or you rather just want to add your name to this debate, by saying the first thing on your mind?
Re: Seriously Can Nigeria Be Developed In 18 Months? by kodewrita(m): 4:38pm On Sep 12, 2011
PointB:

If we follow your timeline then we have another 18 months to wait before any action occurs. Unfortunately the situation deteriorates so fast that there's not time to be twiddling your thumbs deliberating.

There's no excuse for tardiness.
Re: Seriously Can Nigeria Be Developed In 18 Months? by Kobojunkie: 4:40pm On Sep 12, 2011
Considering the same man has been indirectly at the helm of affairs for the 3 and half years prior, I don't see why 18 months if not enough time to expect a substantial move in the right direction for the whole nation. @Poster
Re: Seriously Can Nigeria Be Developed In 18 Months? by PointB: 5:04pm On Sep 12, 2011
kodewrita:

If we follow your timeline then we have another 18 months to wait before any action occurs. Unfortunately the situation deteriorates so fast that there's not time to be twiddling your thumbs deliberating.

There's no excuse for tardiness.

Well, that appears the case here, so if you dont like the way the president is running his government forward march to Aso Rock and tell him; you can only win sympathizers from the Buhari apologists, and I tell you they are very few (of course loudest). But those who have actually being in position to run things, manage people and project, know how difficult and challenging it can be meeting with timelines, objectives, and deliverables.

And were are not even talking about a corporate project, we are talking about a bastardized, tribalized country, with extensive problems stemming from geo-political and economic challenges, and now serious security problem bring the country to a brink. In fact in another world and age, the president will actually spend more time trying to keep the country one, for what it is worth, leaving to so-called development at the mercy of the elements. fortunately that is not the case.

On that note, only naive, foolish and extremely ignorant people will expect a miracle in 18 months. Fortunately I am not one of those, I understand the complexities of politics, governance, and challenges the president faces. So I rather laugh or pity those unfortunate souls who run their temperature high, and swear and curse the president at every chance and turn. I sometimes suggest in extreme cases that they can actually do themselves a favour viz they should either summon courage and march to Aso rock like the Save Nigeria Group, or go hug a high tension wet transformer at one of the power stations.
Re: Seriously Can Nigeria Be Developed In 18 Months? by Nobody: 7:40pm On Sep 12, 2011
18 months was enough for Fashola and Chime to start making a visible impact in their repective States.

Anything is possible if the will is there.
Re: Seriously Can Nigeria Be Developed In 18 Months? by ektbear: 7:41pm On Sep 12, 2011
18 months is too short to become "developed."

Think more like 20 years.

But on the path towards development? Definitely, yes.
Re: Seriously Can Nigeria Be Developed In 18 Months? by edicolove: 1:11am On Sep 13, 2011
GenBuhari:

18 months was enough for Fashola and Chime to start making a visible impact in their repective States.

Anything is possible if the will is there.

I live in Lagos, Fashola did nothing visible in 18months. except you want to lie to yourself. Even the street lights that they hurriedly put in place to make him look good are bad now. they had to replace the lights in allen and many parts of VI. The whole solar street lights they installed was a big fraud. they are not working anymore. Most of the things Fashola points to took effect around 2 and half years after he took over. even BRT WHICH WAS ACTUALLY PLANNED DURING TINUBU'S TERM. Fashola was also aided by the fact he served under Tinubu and had planned some of the projects then. And also, you cannot compare the state of Lagos to that of Nigeria.
Re: Seriously Can Nigeria Be Developed In 18 Months? by olapluto(m): 1:12am On Sep 13, 2011
YES Nigeria can be transformed in 18 months. Kill corruption, manage oil revenues better, invest massively in agriculture and improve security. Every other thing will start falling in place, and oh NEPA!
Re: Seriously Can Nigeria Be Developed In 18 Months? by edicolove: 1:17am On Sep 13, 2011
^^^You are one of those in NL that make Nigerians look foolish. Even if you bring in magicians, no country can develope in 4 years not to talk of eighteen months

So how long does a court process take even in the US. So how can you stamp out corruption in 18 months?
So how long does it take to plant a crop and harvest it that you can transform the agricultural landscape of a country of 150million in 18 months?
do you know how long it takes to setup a 50mega watt power plant even with all your money ready?
Or maybe you think we are in a military state where you can just go around shooting people or throwing people in jail?

Even if you are not intelligent please do try to sound like you are.
Re: Seriously Can Nigeria Be Developed In 18 Months? by Lexusgs430: 1:26am On Sep 13, 2011
It would be difficult to achieve said fate in 18 months, but a blue- map can be set in motion to achieve desired goals.
This clueless and visionless cowboys we gave in place, give them 18 years, they will request another 18 more !!!
Re: Seriously Can Nigeria Be Developed In 18 Months? by edicolove: 1:29am On Sep 13, 2011
^^^Please go and watch the presidents interview of yesterday and come back and tell us if he sounded clueless of visionless. Unless of course you are one the these NL cynics and pessimists
Re: Seriously Can Nigeria Be Developed In 18 Months? by Lexusgs430: 1:32am On Sep 13, 2011
edicolove:

^^^Please go and watch the presidents interview of yesterday and come back and tell us if he sounded clueless of visionless. Unless of course you are one the these NL cynics and pessimists

I must admit, I have not seen the intetview. But let us cut all the I will I will, and start acting, then I will believe !!!
Re: Seriously Can Nigeria Be Developed In 18 Months? by Lexusgs430: 1:34am On Sep 13, 2011
@ edicolove - Time will tell !!!
Re: Seriously Can Nigeria Be Developed In 18 Months? by ShipIt(m): 1:36am On Sep 13, 2011
kodewrita:

In mining, (silence).

Enough said, But just to add: 18 months is enough to start seeing changes but what positive changes have you noticed? Let me highlight a few negative ones
Security is getting worse

Power is being "sabotaged"

Foreign reserves are dropping

Domestic investigations are bring carried out by FOreign agencies

President needs Israeli bodyguards, not even Nigerian

The constitution was recently breached ( salami)

I can just go on like this for days bug what's the point.
The only magic in question is how GEJ is going to turn things around within the next four years,

Re: Seriously Can Nigeria Be Developed In 18 Months? by edicolove: 1:39am On Sep 13, 2011
Lexusgs430:

I must admit, I have not seen the intetview. But let us cut all the I will I will, and start acting, then I will believe !!!

What is your definition of action? Isnt the planning and meetings part of the action?

If you have ever been part of a project, you should know that a project life cycle includes. planning, design, implementation, review and maintenance. The planning and design stages are normally refered to as silent or salient stages.
Re: Seriously Can Nigeria Be Developed In 18 Months? by seedord247(m): 1:44am On Sep 13, 2011
what get me aggressive is the poster saying You feel Uncomfortable

Please know the kind of adjective you use when talking to audience or writing for pple to see.

Are you affected with the recent Bombing?

IS Gej One of your family?

so tell me how do you feel on Uncomfortable
Re: Seriously Can Nigeria Be Developed In 18 Months? by edicolove: 1:45am On Sep 13, 2011

In mining, (silence).

ShipIt:

Enough said, But just to add: 18 months is enough to start seeing changes but what positive changes have you noticed? Let me highlight a few negative ones
Security is getting worse

Power is being "sabotaged"

Foreign reserves are dropping

Domestic investigations are bring carried out by FOreign agencies

President needs Israeli bodyguards, not even Nigerian

The constitution was recently breached ( salami)

I can just go on like this for days bug what's the point.
The only magic in question is how GEJ is going to turn things around within the next four years,

Posts like these really makes me sad. so you want them to send you a text message daily showing you their daily activities or what? Like the president said in the interview that some people are asking for what the SSS and others are doing. how can the SSS post their briefs of terrorist intelligence gathering to the public? Ignorance they say is a disease.

And the slowpoke ended with the bolded statement and called meetings and plannings and all other stuff inaction. The guy just showed he either hasnt worked in a coporate environment or i probably a gateman or receptionist at best. The first action in any project is the planning and design. You dont jump on the road and start to do stuff. The planning stage is normally like 40 to 60 percent, depending on the type of project.

They tell you their plans and you say there is too much talk, no action. they dont say anything but are doing their job and you say they are silent. cynics are the worst kind of people in any society and they never contribute, they only criticize
Re: Seriously Can Nigeria Be Developed In 18 Months? by ShipIt(m): 1:54am On Sep 13, 2011
edicolove:

Posts like these really makes me sad. so you want them to send you a text message daily showing you their daily activities or what? Like the president said in the interview that some people are asking for what the SSS and others are doing. how can the SSS post their briefs of terrorist intelligence gathering to the public? Ignorance they say is a disease.

They tell you their plans and you say there is too much talk, no action. they dont say anything but are doing their job and you say they are silent. cynics are the worst kind of people in any society and they never contribute, they only criticize

Listen Mr Jonathan Defense Force, nothing is being done and you are too thick to see that, Look at your people differing on thx street, 70 percent unemployment and so much more, How many more plans do you need? Nigerian leaders are always planning till their time is up yet their plans always seem to be paid for with Nigerian peoples money,
Re: Seriously Can Nigeria Be Developed In 18 Months? by edicolove: 1:57am On Sep 13, 2011
So what proof do you have that nothing is being done. have you been visiting the ministries and supervising them to know they are doing nothing?
Re: Seriously Can Nigeria Be Developed In 18 Months? by CyberG: 1:58am On Sep 13, 2011
Come back in 3 years and see if anything of his mega, high-sounding promises have been kept.
Re: Seriously Can Nigeria Be Developed In 18 Months? by edicolove: 2:00am On Sep 13, 2011
So the kerosine price that has come down to between 65 to 80naira, is it an angek that did it? or the light that has improved all over lagos, is it America that did it? or the rails that have started working, is it spirits that did it? why cant you talk intelligently?
Re: Seriously Can Nigeria Be Developed In 18 Months? by ShipIt(m): 2:01am On Sep 13, 2011
edicolove:

So what proof do you have that nothing is being done. have you been visiting the ministries and supervising them to know they are doing nothing?
what proof do you have that something is being done. have you been visiting the ministries and supervising them to know they are doing something? I have empirical evidence to support my claim, That evidence is Nigeria's track record, What makes you think this time is going to be much different.
Re: Seriously Can Nigeria Be Developed In 18 Months? by edicolove: 2:12am On Sep 13, 2011
CyberG:

Come back in 3 years and see if anything of his mega, high-sounding promises have been kept.

Is that what you wish for Nigeria? It will not come to pass. Those of you wishing Nigeria will not make it will be disappointed this time

Honestly i do not even need to wait for 3 years. I am right here in my house enjoying a tremedous improvement in power supply because of the recent stations that have gone live. That is already a promise kept and I can only pray to God to give the president the grace to do more and sustain what has been done. I am not a hopeless unpatriotic cynic like you
Re: Seriously Can Nigeria Be Developed In 18 Months? by udezue(m): 2:14am On Sep 13, 2011
You can't a 3rd world nation into 1st class but u can place it on noticeable path but how can u expect Nigeria to transform into anything better when a good chunk of its population up-north are very wild, uncivilized and violently dragging the rest of the nation back? This is the reason we must break away from those elements or force them to leave us alone.
Re: Seriously Can Nigeria Be Developed In 18 Months? by edicolove: 2:19am On Sep 13, 2011
ShipIt:

what proof do you have that something is being done. have you been visiting the ministries and supervising them to know they are doing something? I have empirical evidence to support my claim, That evidence is Nigeria's track record, What makes you think this time is going to be much different.

Plenty of proof and signs bro. I have been following the president and ministers who have been holding intense meetings over the last 2 months. Almost all the minsters have been making unprecedented visits to various sites in their ministries. one such visit led the minster of power to find out and change the non performing CE of the Olorunshogo power plant and the restoration of some of the plants functionality which has led to the addition of more power to the Lagos axis. Of course I know you dont follow these intense progress because you are a cynic and pessimist who only gets satisfaction in criticizing.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

UN To Support FG In 2015 Elections / Breaking! Omoyele Sowore Caught Partying Hard At A Hidden Place In Lagos- Photos / INEC Begins Distribution Of PVCs For Kogi, Bayelsa Governorship Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.