Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,320 members, 7,836,381 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:44 AM

Who Owns Lagos? The Igbos? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Owns Lagos? The Igbos? (767 Views)

If It Were The South Easterners That Owns Lagos / President Buhari's Visit To Lagos: The Roads Are Free!(Pix) / Lagos My State; Who Owns Lagos? History 101:point Of Information (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Owns Lagos? The Igbos? by Spanta(m): 5:40pm On Feb 21, 2023
Who Owns Lagos, a Useless Question Without Answers

Pots of ink have been wasted posing and trying to find out who owns Lagos. Some of the answers have been: Nobody owns Lagos; Lagos is owned by the Yoruba; The Igbo own Lagos, The Benin Kingdom and therefore the Beni own Lagos; all Nigerians own Lagos; etc. And recently two “Lagosians” held court on the ownership of Lagos. They are Alhaji Olufemi Okunnu and Chief Layi Ajayi Bembe at Punch Newspapers. Each had his own views.

The question is useless because there are no possible answers. The ownership of Lagos would require additional sentences/clauses before it can be determined. Such additional sentences could be “who are the original owners of Lagos; who owned Lagos from 1960-1999; who owns Lagos now etc.” The answers will vary with each additional sentence.

To make clear what this author is saying. Let’s assume that Obi was the original owner of an estate. Obi sold the land to Benji. There are two possible answers Obi and Benji, depending on how the question is posed. If currently the answer is Benji and if it is the original owner, the answer is Obi. When Obi sold the property to Benji he ceased to own the property.

Now let’s come back to Lagos. We begin by pointing out that landownership initially belonged to individuals and then moved on to kings who appropriated individual lands by treachery, purchases and or by force. And letter lands belonged to government which acquired the land by decrees, by laws or by use of the law of eminent domain.

Secondly, let’s point out that the subject is not clear to all. What is Lagos? When I lived in Surulere in the 60’s we used to say “I am going to Lagos if we were going to Lagos Island.” We acknowledged that the mainland was not Lagos. The Oba lived/lives on the island and that was Lagos. Even though in the 60’s there was a municipal government which recognized Lagos as both the island and the mainland. Today there is no more municipal government for the city but local governments that have carved the old Lagos into smaller municipalities. Meanwhile “Lagos” which was limited to Ikeja/Palm Grove now extends to Ikorodu.

So which Lagos are we talking about?

If I own Ajegunle and you own all the rest of “Lagos” who owns Lagos? This is another reason why the question is useless and have no definite answers. What if Ola owns Yaba, Obi owns Ajegunle and Ishaka ownes Ikeja, and Bola owns the Island, assuming each bought their pieces in a fair trade? Who owns Lagos?

Most often when people talk of the ownership of Lagos what they actually mean is what the history of Lagos is. Even here there seems to be two different stories. One says that the first settlers on Lagos were the Yoruba from the hinterland. And another posits that the first settlers were the Bini Kingdom as it expanded westwards. I am not sure which story has dominance now.

While this is important from getting the history right perspective, we can do this while doing the next important thing which is how do we make Lagos better. Making Lagos better will benefit all the residents of the city no matter who ownership belongs to.
All people born in Lagos, all people who live in Lagos, all people who do business in Lagos, etc. have stake in the city and should contribute their resources to make Lagos better for all.

It is not just the Yoruba.

By Benjamin Obiajulu Aduba.

If you own land in Lagos, you too own Lagos. Lagos is a Land of settlers from different nations. Indigenous people of this geographical entity called Lagos originally don't speak Yoruba or French.

1 Like

Re: Who Owns Lagos? The Igbos? by yrhuhfy113: 5:43pm On Feb 21, 2023
Spanta:
[left][/left]Who Owns Lagos, a Useless Question Without Answers

Pots of ink have been wasted posing and trying to find out who owns Lagos. Some of the answers have been: Nobody owns Lagos; Lagos is owned by the Yoruba; The Igbo own Lagos, The Benin Kingdom and therefore the Beni own Lagos; all Nigerians own Lagos; etc. And recently two “Lagosians” held court on the ownership of Lagos. They are Alhaji Olufemi Okunnu and Chief Layi Ajayi Bembe at Punch Newspapers. Each had his own views.

The question is useless because there are no possible answers. The ownership of Lagos would require additional sentences/clauses before it can be determined. Such additional sentences could be “who are the original owners of Lagos; who owned Lagos from 1960-1999; who owns Lagos now etc.” The answers will vary with each additional sentence.

To make clear what this author is saying. Let’s assume that Obi was the original owner of an estate. Obi sold the land to Benji. There are two possible answers Obi and Benji, depending on how the question is posed. If currently the answer is Benji and if it is the original owner, the answer is Obi. When Obi sold the property to Benji he ceased to own the property.

Now let’s come back to Lagos. We begin by pointing out that landownership initially belonged to individuals and then moved on to kings who appropriated individual lands by treachery, purchases and or by force. And letter lands belonged to government which acquired the land by decrees, by laws or by use of the law of eminent domain.

Secondly, let’s point out that the subject is not clear to all. What is Lagos? When I lived in Surulere in the 60’s we used to say “I am going to Lagos if we were going to Lagos Island.” We acknowledged that the mainland was not Lagos. The Oba lived/lives on the island and that was Lagos. Even though in the 60’s there was a municipal government which recognized Lagos as both the island and the mainland. Today there is no more municipal government for the city but local governments that have carved the old Lagos into smaller municipalities. Meanwhile “Lagos” which was limited to Ikeja/Palm Grove now extends to Ikorodu.

So which Lagos are we talking about?

If I own Ajegunle and you own all the rest of “Lagos” who owns Lagos? This is another reason why the question is useless and have no definite answers. What if Ola owns Yaba, Obi owns Ajegunle and Ishaka ownes Ikeja, and Bola owns the Island, assuming each bought their pieces in a fair trade? Who owns Lagos?

Most often when people talk of the ownership of Lagos what they actually mean is what the history of Lagos is. Even here there seems to be two different stories. One says that the first settlers on Lagos were the Yoruba from the hinterland. And another posits that the first settlers were the Bini Kingdom as it expanded westwards. I am not sure which story has dominance now.

While this is important from getting the history right perspective, we can do this while doing the next important thing which is how do we make Lagos better. Making Lagos better will benefit all the residents of the city no matter who ownership belongs to.
All people born in Lagos, all people who live in Lagos, all people who do business in Lagos, etc. have stake in the city and should contribute their resources to make Lagos better for all.

It is not just the Yoruba.

By Benjamin Obiajulu Aduba.

If you own land in Lagos, you too own Lagos. Lagos is a Land of settlers from different nations. Indigenous people of this geographical entity called Lagos originally don't speak Yoruba or French.

Pls GOOGLE who owns NIGERIA?

and then you will see things differently

all these things you have said are not invalid but the matter is deeper sir
Re: Who Owns Lagos? The Igbos? by Tflex01: 5:47pm On Feb 21, 2023
Who owns Kano?
Who owns Calabar?
Who owns Lokoja?
Who owns Enugu?

Why Una nor dey fight on top these ones?

Why always Lagos?

grin

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Owns Lagos? The Igbos? by Ireportlive: 6:00pm On Feb 21, 2023
Iba Igbo elerin knows who their Land owners are

Oshodi Apapa knows who the Oshodi ruling family are

All Villages making up Ajah, Ikorodu, Ibeju Lekki all know their rulling house

Lagos Island, Isale Eko all know who the Land owners are

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Owns Lagos? The Igbos? by limeta(f): 6:03pm On Feb 21, 2023
Tflex01:
Who owns Kano?
Who owns Calabar?
Who owns Lokoja?
Who owns Enugu?

Why Una nor dey fight on to these ones?

Why always Lagos?

grin

There will be no fight if yorubas stop claiming it as their own
Any small thing go back to Anambra go back to imo
As for me Bini own lagos they gave it its first name Eko
Am from sokoto so i really dont give a flying ffuuck about Lagos .

2 Likes

Re: Who Owns Lagos? The Igbos? by computer0810(m): 6:20pm On Feb 21, 2023
limeta:

There will be no fight if yorubas stop claiming it as their own
Any small thing go back to Anambra go back to imo
As me Bini own lagos they gave it its first name Eko
Am from sokoto so i really dont give a flying ffuuck about Lagos .

Me too am from adamawa but why r u igbos so obsessed with yoruba land lagos....can't u focus on ur states or is there igwe lineage in lagos😂

7 Likes

Re: Who Owns Lagos? The Igbos? by Burruchaga71(m): 6:24pm On Feb 21, 2023
If yorubas sold all their ancestry lands to Igbos. It's automatically means Igbos are the new owners of Lagos.
Shekenah!!

3 Likes

Re: Who Owns Lagos? The Igbos? by PeterObi4LP: 6:26pm On Feb 21, 2023
I was born and bread in Lagos. My dad build house in Lagos in the 60s. From history, no region owns Lagos. Everyone migrated to Lagos (Nigeria capital) then for greener pastures.

The same way I came to Lagos, you came is the same way others will still come.

LAGOS IS NO MAN'S LAND

2 Likes

Re: Who Owns Lagos? The Igbos? by Tflex01: 6:31pm On Feb 21, 2023
computer0810:

Me too am from adamawa but why r u igbos so obsessed with yoruba land lagos....can't u focus on ur states or is there igwe lineage in lagos😂

Even me I'm from Borno grin... Don't mind the clown.

2 Likes

Re: Who Owns Lagos? The Igbos? by delpee(f): 6:33pm On Feb 21, 2023
Burruchaga71:
If yorubas sold all their ancestry lands to Igbos. It's automatically means Igbos are the new owners of Lagos.
Shekenah!!

Leasehold is different from freehold. The C of O specifies the term. Only the real indigenes can lay claims on the land from generation to generation by way of excision. This is usually based on their history and consideration for public interest in order to accommodate everyone, and provide needed amenities. What you have is leasehold.

4 Likes

Re: Who Owns Lagos? The Igbos? by Tflex01: 6:37pm On Feb 21, 2023
PeterObi4LP:
I was born and bread in Lagos. My dad build house in Lagos in the 60s. From history, no region owns Lagos. Everyone migrated to Lagos (Nigeria capital) then for greener pastures.

The same way I came to Lagos, you came is the same way others will still come.

LAGOS IS NO MAN'S LAND

I thought you said you are Yoruba... Now it is your father that migrated and build house in Lagos again. grin

Why are you Igbos so obsessed with Lagos? grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Owns Lagos? The Igbos? by limeta(f): 7:04pm On Feb 21, 2023
computer0810:

If there wasn't one there should be one
Re: Who Owns Lagos? The Igbos? by T9ksy(m): 7:52pm On Feb 21, 2023
limeta:

If there wasn't one there should be one

Go and put one (igwe) there na. However, he will still be subjected to indigenous (Yorubas ') laws and customs.

If ibo Igwe departs at any time from the rules & regulations given to him, he will be banished from the land but not before his obdurate a.s.s has been flogged to reset his brain cells.

Remember the Igwe in akure who disrespected the paramount ruler of the land. He was flogged naked grin at the towns' marketplace and then sent packing from the land.

2 Likes

Re: Who Owns Lagos? The Igbos? by PeterObi4LP: 9:27pm On Feb 21, 2023
Tflex01:

I thought you said you are Yoruba... Now it is your father that migrated and build house in Lagos again. grin

Why are you Igbos so obsessed with Lagos? grin

Oga I'm from Ibadan, but grew up in lagidi. I'm confirm Omoluabi. I know e shock you say I'm speaking differently abi?

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Just In; Former President Obasanjo’s Appeal On 2023 Election. / The Quietness In The Land Is Deafening / INEC Are Now Deleting Their Tweets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.