Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,963 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:11 AM

My Deplorable Experience As A Gatekeeper - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Deplorable Experience As A Gatekeeper (2138 Views)

Experienced & Mature Gatekeeper Needed Immediately - 40years Old Above / My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie / Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Deplorable Experience As A Gatekeeper by Rrchrd(m): 11:35am On Feb 23, 2023
I don't really talking much but I'm just saving some of my True Life Stories here

After all my efforts to get a better job proved abortived I decided to do any menial job I see (a Gatekeeper work) for the first time.

Very bad that in Nigeria someone will employ a gatekeeper to work in a house inside an Estate without given him food, very wealthy people for that matter not as if they don't have money. Inside estate where I can't even see anything to buy even I've money.

& it worst that I don't even have any money
How can I cope, life is just so unbearing for me.
Why are people so wicked, they don't even look@ my face, someone that is opening gate for you & wash your cars.

Thinking of to quick it this week bc I can't cope.

MODIFIED: N/B: I live there

2 Likes

Re: My Deplorable Experience As A Gatekeeper by yrhuhfy113: 11:46am On Feb 23, 2023
Rrchrd:
I don't really talking much but I'm just saving some of my True Life Stories here

After all my efforts to get a better job proved abortived I decided to do any menial job I see (a Gatekeeper work) for the first time.

Very bad that in Nigeria someone will employ a gatekeeper to work in a house inside an Estate without given him food, very wealthy people for that matter not as if they don't have money. Inside estate where I can't even see anything to buy even I've money.

Why are people so wicked, they don't even look@ my face, someone that is opening gate for you & wash your cars.

WHY NOT TELL THEM....

WHY NOT POLITELY ASK THEM WHAT THEY THINK YOU SHOULD DO....

they may have overlooked it or forgotten.

DON'T QUIT YET.... are you skilled in any digital skill... maybe we can find you a better job
Re: My Deplorable Experience As A Gatekeeper by Rrchrd(m): 12:17pm On Feb 23, 2023
yrhuhfy113:

WHY NOT TELL THEM....

DON'T QUIT YET.... are you skilled in any digital skill... maybe we can find you a better job
Since I don't have a laptop again it is only Microsoft Word that I can handle now
Re: My Deplorable Experience As A Gatekeeper by olamilarks(m): 2:32pm On Feb 23, 2023
Rrchrd:

Sorry bro, if you can make friends with the kitchen staff you'll get food by hook or crook. If you go home daily I'd suggest you pack food from home. You can also approach the woman of the house!
Re: My Deplorable Experience As A Gatekeeper by checkmatez: 2:34pm On Feb 23, 2023
Please stop the job before you begin to plan evil because I believe you agreed to their terms before resumption.

Reading this writeup, I just remembered the CBN couple and thier son tragedy undecided

7 Likes

Re: My Deplorable Experience As A Gatekeeper by Vulcanheph(m): 2:43pm On Feb 23, 2023
Bro... I can tell you from experience, the worst place someone can work as a gateman/security guard is the houses of very wealthy people.
Most of them never acknowledge your presence, you'll be made to feel inferior.
I once worked for a Judge (who later became the chief judge of the state)... The man was incredibly stingy, awful and difficult to work for... I had to beg the security firm I was working with to transfer me somewhere else.
I was transferred to another area that had civil servants and middle class people living there and I enjoyed my stay through out the time I worked there.
Someone was always ready to give me food or small change which really helped.

I'm no longer doing that job anymore and have become self employed but I learnt a lot from that experience.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Deplorable Experience As A Gatekeeper by Generalwoodz(m): 2:49pm On Feb 23, 2023
What's your take home ? If your take finishes on the road you may quit. However, if your take home takes you home and takes good care of life responsibilities, then stay until something way more worthwhile surfaces.

Like someone said: "tell them what you want if you really think they measure up and are well equal to the task.

Pointedly tell: "oga, I want food"

It won't reduce your prestige, tarnish your reps, or paint with a dirty brush your credibility.

Rip HungerBAD

One thing I like about acute hunger is that you express yourself adequately without sentiment.

3 Likes

Re: My Deplorable Experience As A Gatekeeper by SporaD8: 4:03pm On Feb 23, 2023
checkmatez:
Please stop the job before you begin to plan evil because I believe you agreed to their terms before resumption.

Reading this writeup, I just remembered the CBN couple and thier son tragedy undecided
What I have come to realize is that, oftentimes, it's not these rich folks fault - it's experience that make their crayfish bend! Imagine the situation where Gateman coughs after eating madam's food, His family will say, "Na Oga use their Son to renew his Rituals!"
These people are not oblige to feed him! If at all they do, it is a privilege not his right as long as his salary is not delayed/owned.
Infact from my little experience, it's always his kind of entitlement mentality that normally make rich men to stop showing further empathy to the plight of their workers!

10 Likes

Re: My Deplorable Experience As A Gatekeeper by gentleman82: 4:32pm On Feb 23, 2023
Keep surviving till they pay you your salary then you will smile , patience is virtue.
Re: My Deplorable Experience As A Gatekeeper by olamilarks(m): 4:42pm On Feb 23, 2023
SporaD8:

What I have come to realize is that, oftentimes, it's not these rich folks fault - it's experience that make their crayfish bend! Imagine the situation where Gateman coughs after eating madam's food, His family will say, "Na Oga use their Son to renew his Rituals!"
These people are not oblige to feed him! If at all they do, it is a privilege not his right as long as his salary is not delayed/owned.
Infact from my little experience, it's always his kind of entitlement mentality that normally make rich men to stop showing further empathy to the plight of their workers!
I know we have trust issues in Naija, but I feel it's the right thing to feed people working for you. While growing up anytime my mama dey do construction work for her site, she always make provision of food for the construction workers, Indian factories always make food provision for their staff. Those things are takeaways from welfare states, you have to feed your worker while he's in your service, helps efficiency!

4 Likes

Re: My Deplorable Experience As A Gatekeeper by Nobody: 6:05pm On Feb 23, 2023
You this fraudster again. If there's something about you, you're a good storyteller. Your stories get a lot of views. So why don't you channel that effort into writing short stories for people for money. It'll benefit you on the long run. Don't waste it on scam.

2 Likes

Re: My Deplorable Experience As A Gatekeeper by Soulflai: 7:12pm On Feb 23, 2023
Why call him a fraudulent person? has he obtained you before?

1 Like

Re: My Deplorable Experience As A Gatekeeper by Zico777(m): 9:09pm On Feb 23, 2023
yrhuhfy113:

WHY NOT TELL THEM....

I don't think any right thinking person would or should overlook such!

Knowing it's an estate where he can't get cheap food to buy. Security job can't be effectively done on an empty stomach.

If they can't give him food from their rich kitchen why not organize pots & stove for him to fix his own meals!

2 Likes

Re: My Deplorable Experience As A Gatekeeper by yrhuhfy113: 9:29pm On Feb 23, 2023
Zico777:

Knowing it's an estate where he can't get cheap food to buy. Security job can't be effectively done on an empty stomach.

If they can't give him food from their rich kitchen why not organize pots & stove for him to fix his own meals!

YOU ARE SO RIGHT... now I do not blame these gatemen and housemaids for being informants to raid homes or for looting or doing other things.

Many rich people are selfish by nature and insensitive

1 Like

Re: My Deplorable Experience As A Gatekeeper by PerfectMan24: 10:43pm On Feb 23, 2023
Get urself a pot & a stove. If u don't have money, explain to them to give u salary advance.
Life is not easy.

2 Likes

Re: My Deplorable Experience As A Gatekeeper by galantjoe(m): 5:03am On Feb 24, 2023
Talk to your employer, complain to him. Lay out your thoughts and plight to him .

Nigerians are fond of not talking when they have personal issues. It is bad. Talk your oga if he doesn't do any thing favorable, you can quit. At least he will know why you quit so that another gateman he will employ, he will try to feed him well.

1 Like

Re: My Deplorable Experience As A Gatekeeper by galantjoe(m): 5:05am On Feb 24, 2023
Zico777:

Before you said so, has he complained to his oga or housekeeper about his problem.

Let him complain first before taking action
Re: My Deplorable Experience As A Gatekeeper by Almaigaa: 7:03am On Feb 24, 2023
olamilarks:
I know we have trust issues in Naija, but I feel it's the right thing to feed people working for you. While growing up anytime my mama dey do construction work for her site, she always make provision of food for the construction workers, Indian factories always make food provision for their staff. Those things are takeaways from welfare states, you have to feed your worker while he's in your service, helps efficiency!

In the North, when you give someone a daily job, you must make provision for their lunch. Either you provide food or you give them some money to buy food.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Deplorable Experience As A Gatekeeper by robinso01(m): 7:30am On Feb 24, 2023
Firstly, try to talk to your employer about it first, their assumptions about you might be wrong, they may think you have ways of providing food for yourself. If they later did not do anything about the issue after telling them about ur plight then you can quit for good.
Re: My Deplorable Experience As A Gatekeeper by Zico777(m): 7:59am On Feb 24, 2023
galantjoe:

Before you said so, has he complained to his oga or housekeeper about his problem.

Let him complain first before taking action
Bro, haba he need not complain nah!

2 Likes

Re: My Deplorable Experience As A Gatekeeper by Kiddogarcia(m): 8:17am On Feb 24, 2023
Zico777:

Bro, haba he need not complain nah!

Maybe not complain, but to table his grief.

Na we be your best plug for everything Sexual enhancement tho
Re: My Deplorable Experience As A Gatekeeper by Zico777(m): 8:20am On Feb 24, 2023
Kiddogarcia:

Maybe not complain, but to table his grief.

Na we be your best plug for everything Sexual enhancement tho
Ok
Re: My Deplorable Experience As A Gatekeeper by Emma1Oj(m): 9:29am On Feb 24, 2023
Shoodboi:
You this fraudster again. If there's something about you, you're a good storyteller. Your stories get a lot of views. So why don't you channel that effort into writing short stories for people for money. It'll benefit you on the long run. Don't waste it on scam.
what's your point, omini knowest?
Re: My Deplorable Experience As A Gatekeeper by ONNYX: 9:36am On Feb 24, 2023
What does the contract spell?

Anything done outside the contract can be misconstrued.

The contract should be honoured to the very letter.

Your complaint drips of a sense of entitlement. Your employer only owes you what is on your contract.
Re: My Deplorable Experience As A Gatekeeper by FuckYourFather(f): 9:52am On Feb 24, 2023
OP is like you never do gateman before, well it's their choice to give you food or not
as for looking your face forget that one wether they look your face or not just forget about them you are a hustler and doing your thing that's what matters.
people tend to comonize The gateman that opening gate in their house na normal thing be that. just like you dey see am for movies
last last you will survive
sorry for asking did they directly employ you or is it security company that brought you?
Re: My Deplorable Experience As A Gatekeeper by olamilarks(m): 9:57am On Feb 24, 2023
Almaigaa:

In the North, when you give someone a daily job, you must make provision for their lunch. Either you provide food or you give them some money to buy food.
In this respect I give it to the North.

2 Likes

Re: My Deplorable Experience As A Gatekeeper by FuckYourFather(f): 10:03am On Feb 24, 2023
olamilarks:
Sorry bro, if you can make friends with the kitchen staff you'll get food by hook or crook. If you go home daily I'd suggest you pack food from home. You can also approach the woman of the house!

Not everybody is an expert in eye service, besides approaching the owner of the house won't yeild any positive results, he shouldn't bother doing it trust me they will say that they are paying him salary.
but this one he's sounding like ajebo, lol
lol if he can do eye service like: always greeting the woman anytime he sees her, saying compliments like weldone ma, thank you ma, oga mi, and always rushing to open gate for them, wash car, bowing to greet, if you can do all these things, with time when they begin to smile with you you will begin to enter them, and also stylishly ask for something, "anything For your boy" " your boy dey o" things will begin to come.
Re: My Deplorable Experience As A Gatekeeper by FuckYourFather(f): 10:06am On Feb 24, 2023
Vulcanheph:
Bro... I can tell you from experience, the worst place someone can work as a gateman/security guard is the houses of very wealthy people.
Most of them never acknowledge your presence, you'll be made to feel inferior.
I once worked for a Judge (who later became the chief judge of the state)... The man was incredibly stingy, awful and difficult to work for... I had to beg the security firm I was working with to transfer me somewhere else.
I was transferred to another area that had civil servants and middle class people living there and I enjoyed my stay through out the time I worked there.
Someone was always ready to give me food or small change which really helped.

I'm no longer doing that job anymore and have become self employed but I learnt a lot from that experience.

were you expecting them to acknowledge your presence before? as what the owner of the house? stop expecting too much from people in Nigeria especially if you're a junior employee, meanwhile im not doing excuse for bad bosses
Re: My Deplorable Experience As A Gatekeeper by olamilarks(m): 10:08am On Feb 24, 2023
FuckYourFather:

Not everybody is an expert in eye service, besides approaching the owner of the house won't yeild any positive results, he shouldn't bother doing it trust me they will say that they are paying him salary.
but this one he's sounding like ajebo, lol
lol if he can do eye service like: always greeting the woman anytime he sees her, saying compliments like weldone ma, thank you ma, oga mi, and always rushing to open gate for them, wash car, bowing to greet, if you can do all these things, with time when they begin to smile with you you will begin to enter them, and also stylishly ask for something, "anything For your boy" " your boy dey o" things will begin to come.
Most Naija ajebo no Sabi lick ass baba. But e sure me say the man go survive if e get Grit. Just collect first salary and buy gas with some food stuffs (If he lives onsite) he should buy plenty of garri for the long afternoons. During my doorman days for KFC, Na food wey remain from the previous day we dey microwave chop!
Re: My Deplorable Experience As A Gatekeeper by FuckYourFather(f): 10:10am On Feb 24, 2023
Generalwoodz:
What's your take home ? If your take finishes on the road you may quit. However, if your take home takes you home and takes good care of life responsibilities, then stay until something way more worthwhile surfaces.

Like someone said: "tell them what you want if you really think they measure up and are well equal to the task.

Pointedly tell: "oga, I want food"

It won't reduce your prestige, tarnish your reps, or paint with a dirty brush your credibility.

Rip HungerBAD

One thing I like about acute hunger is that you express yourself adequately without sentiment.

i can imagine him saying "oga i want food" and oga replying "i am paying you salary, use it to buy food"

can only imagine how badly hurt his ego would be after the reply, and they are rich people if you try to steal anything sorry for you and your family, God forbid
Re: My Deplorable Experience As A Gatekeeper by FuckYourFather(f): 10:11am On Feb 24, 2023
SporaD8:

exactly my point!
Re: My Deplorable Experience As A Gatekeeper by Rrchrd(m): 10:18am On Feb 24, 2023
olamilarks:
I live there bro

(1) (2) (Reply)

Airtel Call Centre Job / Job Alert; Vacancy In Unilag / Daily Newspaper Job Vacancies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.