Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,614 members, 7,827,310 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:25 AM

Music When On Hold - The Importance Of Adhering To Islamic Guidelines On Phones - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Music When On Hold - The Importance Of Adhering To Islamic Guidelines On Phones (3619 Views)

Using Someone Else's Phone: The Importance Of Adhering To Islamic Guidelines / Guidelines On Shaking Hands With Non-mahram / Igbo Men Who Belong To Islamic Movement (Pictured) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Music When On Hold - The Importance Of Adhering To Islamic Guidelines On Phones by Lukgaf(m): 7:38am On Feb 24, 2023
In our weekly review of the book, "The Islamic Etiquettes of Using the Telephone", we next today review Chapter 11 of the book.

Past review here:

The chapter discusses the use of music when on hold during a phone call. The author notes that using music or singing for entertainment while on hold is not permissible in Islam. Similarly, using Quranic verses or hadiths as hold music is also not permissible as it can lead to a situation that is undesired in Shariah. The author advises waiting in silence until the conversation resumes and emphasizes the importance of adhering to what is most beneficial. This is similar to caller's tunes!

Lessons from this Chapter

Using music and singing as a form of entertainment when placing someone on hold is considered haram (forbidden) with no distinction.

Using verses from the Quran or dhikr in place of music or singing is also considered impermissible.

Ruling events by using the Quran or ahadith is not possible, and it can lead a person to fall into a situation that is undesired in shari’ah.

Waiting in silence when on hold is the best course of action until the conversation resumes.

4 Likes

Re: Music When On Hold - The Importance Of Adhering To Islamic Guidelines On Phones by Debangis20(m): 11:03am On Feb 24, 2023
Wa ballahut-tawfeeq.

2 Likes

Re: Music When On Hold - The Importance Of Adhering To Islamic Guidelines On Phones by Fareke: 1:06pm On Feb 24, 2023
Allahu Akbar

4 Likes

Re: Music When On Hold - The Importance Of Adhering To Islamic Guidelines On Phones by motayoayinde: 1:06pm On Feb 24, 2023
BAARAKALLAHU FEEK

2 Likes

Re: Music When On Hold - The Importance Of Adhering To Islamic Guidelines On Phones by DeepSight(m): 1:08pm On Feb 24, 2023
Lukgaf:
In our weekly review of the book, "The Islamic Etiquettes of Using the Telephone", we next today review Chapter 11 of the book.

Past review here:

The chapter discusses the use of music when on hold during a phone call. The author notes that using music or singing for entertainment while on hold is not permissible in Islam. Similarly, using Quranic verses or hadiths as hold music is also not permissible as it can lead to a situation that is undesired in Shariah. The author advises waiting in silence until the conversation resumes and emphasizes the importance of adhering to what is most beneficial. This is similar to caller's tunes!

Lessons from this Chapter

Using music and singing as a form of entertainment when placing someone on hold is considered haram (forbidden) with no distinction.

Using verses from the Quran or dhikr in place of music or singing is also considered impermissible.

Ruling events by using the Quran or ahadith is not possible, and it can lead a person to fall into a situation that is undesired in shari’ah.

Waiting in silence when on hold is the best course of action until the conversation resumes.

By the prophet's beard, what on Earth could be wrong with music or Quranic verses being used as such? What on Earth? ? ?
Can you point out what exactly is wrong with such, and how such is sinful or harmful? ? ? ?

6 Likes

Re: Music When On Hold - The Importance Of Adhering To Islamic Guidelines On Phones by Lukuluku69(m): 1:19pm On Feb 24, 2023
DeepSight:

By the prophet's beard, what on Earth could be wrong with music or Quranic verses being used as such? What on Earth? ? ?
Can you point out what exactly is wrong with such, and how such is sinful or harmful? ? ? ?

As for Quranic verses being used as a Ringing tones/Hold Tones, I think the general consensus is that this Verses can be stopped abruptly when you answered or continue with the Call.

The Quran explicitly states that " We should listen to the Quran when it is being recited". Using the verses as a ringing tone/hold tones surely defeats this injunction.

And Allah knows best!

2 Likes

Re: Music When On Hold - The Importance Of Adhering To Islamic Guidelines On Phones by DeepSight(m): 1:43pm On Feb 24, 2023
Lukuluku69:

As for Quranic verses being used as a Ringing tones/Hold Tones, I think the general consensus is that this Verses can be stopped abruptly when you answered or continue with the Call.

The Quran explicitly states that " We should listen to the Quran when it is being recited". Using the verses as a ringing tone/hold tones surely defeats this injunction.

And Allah knows best!

Thank you for this lucid response. But what about music? Does islam have something against music?

1 Like

Re: Music When On Hold - The Importance Of Adhering To Islamic Guidelines On Phones by Lukuluku69(m): 1:56pm On Feb 24, 2023
DeepSight:

Thank you for this lucid response. But what about music? Does islam have something against music?

Music!

This is a rather tough one but may Allah grant us guidance in our Deen.

There is a Chapter in the Quran ( I will get it shortly? I think the last part of Chapter The Poets (Ash-shuara) where Allah say we should not follow them because they say things they don't do ( I am paraphrasing) as such they mislead people.

I am not that a Scholar so, I can't really give a verdict on this, for I grew up listening to Music and it has somehow become part of me, but as I grow older, I have come to the realization that listening to Music makes my soul yearn for something I can't explain.

I don't do Music anymore but sometimes the urge comes and anytime it does, there is this song from my younger days that solely praise Allah and eulogize the Prophet, I just do it within me with no beats!

But generally, a lot of Scholars say it is Haram.

And Allah knows best.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Music When On Hold - The Importance Of Adhering To Islamic Guidelines On Phones by DeepSight(m): 3:00pm On Feb 24, 2023
Lukuluku69:

Music!

This is a rather tough one but may Allah grant us guidance in our Deen.

There is a Chapter in the Quran ( I will get it shortly? I think the last part of Chapter The Poets (Ash-shuara) where Allah say we should not follow them because they say things they don't do ( I am paraphrasing) as such they mislead people.

I am not that a Scholar so, I can't really give a verdict on this, for I grew up listening to Music and it has somehow become part of me, but as I grow older, I have come to the realization that listening to Music makes my soul yearn for something I can't explain.

I don't do Music anymore but sometimes the urge comes and anytime it does, there is this song from my younger days that solely praise Allah and eulogize the Prophet, I just do it within me with no beats!

But generally, a lot of Scholars say it is Haram.

And Allah knows best.

Music is beautiful. I often call it the King of the Arts. Music inspires. Music heals. Music rejuvenates. We use music in worship also. Just as it has a place in the art of love. In the appreciation of beauty. In the appreciation of life and the world. In joyous exultation, and even in heartbreak and sorrow. Music is a thing for the soul. It carries the strings of the soul and enlivens the spirit. I cant imagine music being any kind of haram and I am certain that God cannot frown on music. That would be like saying that God frowns on art or science. Of course, both art and science can be deployed in a sinful way, and only then is there a problem. What you have said reminds me of certain extremist Churches which I know of who forbid their people music. There is something very perverse in this. Its like forbidding a person education, or forbidding a person artwork or the expression of any other God-given talent.

Nevertheless I thank you for sincerely sharing your views lucidly.

1 Like

Re: Music When On Hold - The Importance Of Adhering To Islamic Guidelines On Phones by Lukuluku69(m): 3:07pm On Feb 24, 2023
DeepSight:

Music is beautiful. I often call it the King of the Arts. Music inspires. Music heals. Music rejuvenates. We use music in worship also. Just as it has a place in the art of love. In the appreciation of beauty. In the appreciation of life and the world. In joyous exultation, and even in heartbreak and sorrow. Music is a thing for the soul. It carries the strings of the soul and enlivens the spirit. I cant imagine music being any kind of haram and I am certain that God cannot frown on music. That would be like saying that God frowns on art or science. Of course, both art and science can be deployed in a sinful way, and only then is there a problem. What you have said reminds me of certain extremist Churches which I know of who forbid their people music. There is something very perverse in this. Its like forbidding a person education, or forbidding a person artwork or the expression of any other God-given talent.

I sincerely share your sentiments on this. I grew up loving music. You need to hear me sing! Lol

Like I said, listening to Music makes my soul yearn for something I can't explain. That said, I am bit of an older "wiser" person now. There are lots of music out here that are not edifying for anyone's soul or mind. They are poison to the heart.

I still do Music but it is to myself only. Songs praising my makers only. Within me and for me alone. You know we can only try with the hope and longings in our hearts that it is acceptable to the benefit of our souls.
Re: Music When On Hold - The Importance Of Adhering To Islamic Guidelines On Phones by DeepSight(m): 3:19pm On Feb 24, 2023
Lukuluku69:

I sincerely share your sentiments on this. I grew up loving music. You need to hear me sing! Lol

Like I said, listening to Music makes my soul yearn for something I can't explain. That said, I am bit of an older "wiser" person now. There are lots of music out here that are not edifying for anyone's soul or mind. They are poison to the heart.

I still do Music but it is to myself only. Songs praising my makers only. Within me and for me alone. You know we can only try with the hope and longings in our hearts that it is acceptable to the benefit of our souls.

Well said. And to corroborate you a little, there is a lot out there nowadays which is called music but is nothing but vulgar and psychopathic shouting.

2 Likes

Re: Music When On Hold - The Importance Of Adhering To Islamic Guidelines On Phones by Lukuluku69(m): 3:30pm On Feb 24, 2023
DeepSight:

Well said. And to corroborate you a little, there is a lot out there nowadays which is called music but is nothing but vulgar and psychopathic shouting.

Still on this Music thing, when you hear and see what is said in the lyrics, (some of them) you are left with no choice than to move on. Then the suggestive dancing, the milling and mixing and all that, you just have to move on.

The singers say a lot of things they don't do!
Re: Music When On Hold - The Importance Of Adhering To Islamic Guidelines On Phones by vannessa7(f): 4:25pm On Feb 24, 2023
DeepSight:

Asalam alekum, I reverted to Islam about six years ago after being a Christian minister for almost twenty years after receiving powerful revelations through dreams. While growing I was highly gifted in music writing and singing and I couldn't do without music especially meaningful ones either blues before I became born again and gospel music after I became born again, I used to cry while listening to gospel music and any meaningful once. I am an introvert and tend to get into depression all by myself unless I listen to music and whenever I'm depressed like that I used to experience satanic afflictions and attacks until I become joyful which I could achieve instantly through music, a verse of the bible say with joy you will fetch water from the well of salvation. Anyway I became a muslim and it is still the best thing that has happened to me yet and I deeply regret all the years I spent in Christianity, I was told no music by the people that led me into Islam, not even Islamic music, aaaahhh, but as times goes on I found out all the symptom I used to have while depressed resurfaced, oppression especially when I'm alone, even when I had company I still get very serious before I knew it and the enemy just start manifesting and I start struggling, I had to pray about it using idina suratal mustakim, because that verse in the Quran did not outrightly condemn music and being gifted with the gift of revelations I received that it should be in moderation if it makes me happy because the spirit of Allah will not dwell in a sad environment but it should not be my top priority, and also when the Quran said we should recite surah with sweet pleasant voice, that's definitely music and that's why most Quranic recitations are so pleasant to the hear because Allah loves it like that, I have also come across some of these Al Sunna Muslims who are possessed with witchcraft, especially the elehas and they know, I have encountered them several times and they know but won't admit, you will never see them pray congregational prayers because it's dangerous for them to enter the mosque with witchcraft, I believe lack of joy is a contributing factor to their being possessed, being joyful always drive shaitan far away and that's why even in Christianity any church that are too serious their members will have issues. Allah knows best.

N B:
I decided to write this because I know someone might love to be a muslim but be discouraged by all these strict laws that are not really clearly marked as sin on all ground, I understand music was used to welcome Prophet Mohammed (S.A.W) to mecca at a time. Islam is the best and music is a gift of Allah to humanity when done with the fear of Allah.

2 Likes

Re: Music When On Hold - The Importance Of Adhering To Islamic Guidelines On Phones by Friend22(m): 4:30pm On Feb 24, 2023
DeepSight:

Evidence of prohibition of music and singing in the Quran and Sunnah
Allah says in Surah Luqman (interpretation of the meaning):

“And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e. music, singing) to mislead (men) from the path of Allah…” [Luqman 31:6]

The scholar of the ummah, Ibn 'Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him) said: this means singing . Mujahid (may Allah have mercy on him) said: this means playing the drum (tabl). (Tafsir al-Tabari, 21/40)

Al-Hasan al-Basri (may Allah have mercy on him) said: this ayah was revealed concerning singing and musical instruments (lit. woodwind instruments). (Tafsir Ibn Kathir, 3/451)

Al-Sa’di (may Allah have mercy on him) said: this includes all manner of haram speech, all idle talk and falsehood, and all nonsense that encourages kufr and disobedience; the words of those who say things to refute the truth and argue in support of falsehood to defeat the truth; and backbiting, slander, lies, insults and curses; the singing and musical instruments of the Shaytan; and musical instruments which are of no spiritual or worldly benefit. (Tafsir al-Sa’di, 6/150)

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

“The interpretation of the Sahabah and Tabi'in, that ‘idle talk’ refers to singing, is sufficient. This was reported with sahih isnad from Ibn 'Abbas and Ibn Mas’ud. Abu’l-Sahba said: I asked Ibn Mas’ud about the ayah (interpretation of the meaning), ‘“And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks’ [Luqman 31:6]. He said: By Allah, besides Whom there is no other god, this means singing – and he repeated it three times. It was also reported with a sahih isnad from Ibn ‘Umar (may Allah be pleased with them both) that this means singing.

There is no contradiction between the interpretation of “idle talk” as meaning singing and the interpretation of it as meaning stories of the Persians and their kings, and the kings of the Romans, and so on, such as al-Nadr ibn al-Harith used to tell to the people of Makkah to distract them from the Quran.

Both of them are idle talk. Hence Ibn 'Abbas said: “Idle talk” is falsehood and singing. Some of the Sahabah said one and some said the other, and some said both. Singing is worse and more harmful than stories of kings, because it leads to zina and makes hypocrisy grow (in the heart); it is the trap of the Shaytan, and it clouds the mind. The way in which it blocks people from the Quran is worse than the way in which other kinds of false talk block them, because people are naturally inclined towards it and tend to want to listen to it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Music When On Hold - The Importance Of Adhering To Islamic Guidelines On Phones by DeepSight(m): 4:36pm On Feb 24, 2023
Lukuluku69:

Still on this Music thing, when you hear and see what is said in the lyrics, (some of them) you are left with no choice than to move on. Then the suggestive dancing, the milling and mixing and all that, you just have to move on.

The singers say a lot of things they don't do!

But there is classical music and the like.
Re: Music When On Hold - The Importance Of Adhering To Islamic Guidelines On Phones by DeepSight(m): 4:36pm On Feb 24, 2023
Friend22:

Evidence of prohibition of music and singing in the Quran and Sunnah
Allah says in Surah Luqman (interpretation of the meaning):

“And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e. music, singing) to mislead (men) from the path of Allah…” [Luqman 31:6]

The scholar of the ummah, Ibn 'Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him) said: this means singing . Mujahid (may Allah have mercy on him) said: this means playing the drum (tabl). (Tafsir al-Tabari, 21/40)

Al-Hasan al-Basri (may Allah have mercy on him) said: this ayah was revealed concerning singing and musical instruments (lit. woodwind instruments). (Tafsir Ibn Kathir, 3/451)

Al-Sa’di (may Allah have mercy on him) said: this includes all manner of haram speech, all idle talk and falsehood, and all nonsense that encourages kufr and disobedience; the words of those who say things to refute the truth and argue in support of falsehood to defeat the truth; and backbiting, slander, lies, insults and curses; the singing and musical instruments of the Shaytan; and musical instruments which are of no spiritual or worldly benefit. (Tafsir al-Sa’di, 6/150)

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

“The interpretation of the Sahabah and Tabi'in, that ‘idle talk’ refers to singing, is sufficient. This was reported with sahih isnad from Ibn 'Abbas and Ibn Mas’ud. Abu’l-Sahba said: I asked Ibn Mas’ud about the ayah (interpretation of the meaning), ‘“And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks’ [Luqman 31:6]. He said: By Allah, besides Whom there is no other god, this means singing – and he repeated it three times. It was also reported with a sahih isnad from Ibn ‘Umar (may Allah be pleased with them both) that this means singing.

There is no contradiction between the interpretation of “idle talk” as meaning singing and the interpretation of it as meaning stories of the Persians and their kings, and the kings of the Romans, and so on, such as al-Nadr ibn al-Harith used to tell to the people of Makkah to distract them from the Quran.

Both of them are idle talk. Hence Ibn 'Abbas said: “Idle talk” is falsehood and singing. Some of the Sahabah said one and some said the other, and some said both. Singing is worse and more harmful than stories of kings, because it leads to zina and makes hypocrisy grow (in the heart); it is the trap of the Shaytan, and it clouds the mind. The way in which it blocks people from the Quran is worse than the way in which other kinds of false talk block them, because people are naturally inclined towards it and tend to want to listen to it.

If it is true that music is haram in Islam, that is truly tragic.
Re: Music When On Hold - The Importance Of Adhering To Islamic Guidelines On Phones by DeepSight(m): 4:39pm On Feb 24, 2023
vannessa7:

Asalam alekum, I reverted to Islam about six years ago after being a Christian minister for almost twenty years after receiving powerful revelations through dreams. While growing I was highly gifted in music writing and singing and I couldn't do without music especially meaningful ones either blues before I became born again and gospel music after I became born again, I used to cry while listening to gospel music and any meaningful once. I am an introvert and tend to get into depression all by myself unless I listen to music and whenever I'm depressed like that I used to experience satanic afflictions and attacks until I become joyful which I could achieve instantly through music, a verse of the bible say with joy you will fetch water from the well of salvation. Anyway I became a muslim and it is still the best thing that has happened to me yet and I deeply regret all the years I spent in Christianity, I was told no music by the people that led me into Islam, not even Islamic music, aaaahhh, but as times goes on I found out all the symptom I used to have while depressed resurfaced, oppression especially when I'm alone, even when I had company I still get very serious before I knew it and the enemy just start manifesting and I start struggling, I had to pray about it using idina suratal mustakim, because that verse in the Quran did not outrightly condemn music and being gifted with the gift of revelations I received that it should be in moderation if it makes me happy because the spirit of Allah will not dwell in a sad environment but it should not be my top priority, and also when the Quran said we should recite surah with sweet pleasant voice, that's definitely music and that's why most Quranic recitations are so pleasant to the hear because Allah loves it like that, I have also come across some of these Al Sunna Muslims who are possessed with witchcraft, especially the elehas and they know, I have encountered them several times and they know but won't admit, you will never see them pray congregational prayers because it's dangerous for them to enter the mosque with witchcraft, I believe lack of joy is a contributing factor to their being possessed, being joyful always drive shaitan far away and that's why even in Christianity any church that are too serious their members will have issues. Allah knows best.

N B:
I decided to write this because I know someone might love to be a muslim but be discouraged by all these strict laws that are not really clearly marked as sin on all ground, I understand music was used to welcome Prophet Mohammed (S.A.W) to mecca at a time. Islam is the best and music is a gift of Allah to humanity when done with the fear of Allah.

This is well weighed and moderate, thank you for sharing your journey.

2 Likes

Re: Music When On Hold - The Importance Of Adhering To Islamic Guidelines On Phones by Lukuluku69(m): 4:57pm On Feb 24, 2023
DeepSight:

But there is classical music and the like.

I know.

There also an Hadith of The Prophet that forbids making and playing of Musical Instruments. And I think for Muslims, this is enough prohibition in itself.

But there are Millions who grew up with Music in their Face literally and they are Muslims too.

Like I said earlier, I am no Scholar and can't make a pronouncement on this, but my own experience overtime made me leave it as it is.

And like we always say in matters like this, Allahu Alam! Allah knows best!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Serious Question For My Muslim Brothers And Sisters / Do Muslim Leaders Perform Miracles / The Root Words Of Allah; Attn: Davidylan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.