Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,102 members, 7,828,851 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:09 PM

The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) - Travel (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) (81420 Views)

Ado Ekiti Is Underrated / Is Ikot-Ekpene Nigeria's Most Underrated City? / Is ILORIN Nigeria's Most Underrated City? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by onyxo76(m): 9:50am On Mar 06, 2023
how is the health care system there? any opportunities for health care workers for better welfare over there? this that all the nurses and doctors don run go UK
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Segloyd(m): 9:53am On Mar 06, 2023
Pls on the average how much is the cost of renting a nice apartment in a middle class area and am interested in the transport biz you mentioned. Wont mind if I can have your email pls.

Gatess:
THE UNDERRATED COTONOU

Since I was born till date, we Nigerians have always looked down on a lot of neighboring countries like Cameroon, Togo, Benin Republic etc.
Well, you are not to be blamed if you are among those who look down on some of these countries, even when we have not had an opportunity to cross border.

Well I was one of those people who actually looked down on most of these countries until I had an opportunity to sail round west Africa and the narratives changed.

Meanwhile I was completely marvelled the first time I visited Cotonou, the business hub of Benin Republic about 4 years ago when Patrice Talon newly took office
Two years after I re-visited, after touring round other west African countries. I spent 3 days here and without a waste of time, I concluded to relocate down to this place based on the level of development I saw, the security, serenity etc.

Finally I am now living here and I have no regret so far.

I will say this country is blessed with the best president who is working tirelessly to improve the living conditions of his beloved citizens and I am glad hearing citizens saying positive things about the president.

Things You Don't Know About Benin Republic...

*They have currently have one of the best roads/road network in west Africa
* The maintain law and order
* Security is good
* Security personnels are friendly and don't intimidate anyone. If caught intimidating you, he or she will severely be punished
" If you are caught in a robbery attack which involves gun, forget it, u are gun forever.
* Electricity is 247. No low voltage or unecessarily interruptions.
* Steady clean water supply by the government at an affordable rate
* 247 transport system cos of good security
* Night life is topnotch.. in fact their balling na night with street light almost every nook and cranny of the city.
* Amazing beaches with super duper fun.
* Nice Bilingual schools for your kids
*Stress free movement without traffic jam.
* Policemen scattered at every nook and cranny of the town to maintain law and order and not for stop and search.
* Drugs are only bought or sold at a registered pharmacies and not from quacks or roadside vendors
* Foreigners almost have same right with citizen and can't be treated anyhow
*Women are like egg here. Any maltreatment or mistreatment, you will face the law.
*Public school, go to sch by 7:30am and return home for break by 12noon and return back to school by 3pm to dismiss between 6-7pm Monday- Friday
* You can choose to relocate from your rented apartment after a month or two cos of the privilege of monthly payment plan
* Their money now more valuable than naira in black market
*This is the only safe transit route coming from other African countries to Nigeria. Of course you should know how that helps an economy.
*Internet is steady and fast but a bit expensive
*Pepper body no common here like naija
* ETC

Business Opportunities
From My Findings So Far...

*Tailoring is a place to explore especially when you sew English wears and Nigerian attires
* Sales of any kind of electronics which you can bring from Nigeria and Togo cos they are cheaper over there and expensive here.
* Sales of second hand phones and laptops, not forgetting their accessories too. Very lucrative
* Nigerian foods are in high demand especially areas where Nigerians live more. U go sell tire
* Sales of sewing machines(more of manual)and it's accessories are in high demand cos this is their major skill work with hairdressing.
* Phone and laptop repairs needs serious attention here cos most of the engineers are not competent enough
* Sales of motor parts/bike parts. Both are very good biz here too.
* Bilingual schools are still in high demand in some places including teachers.
* Transportation biz- As a naija man, u will do better plying from border to town, if you are a smart. As an okada rider, concentrate around Tokpa, Misebo and Beach, you will be fine too.
Those who are into okirika(2nd clothes, shoes & bags), it's still very profitable till date but you must have a good contact for you not to be cheated.
Etc

Let me drop my pen here for now. I will be sharing some photos of the places I have been to like the beaches etc . So stay tuned as we will be dropping more information to give you a comprehensive info about the country generally.
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Kelvin3476: 10:10am On Mar 06, 2023
pocohantas:
I loved it when I went there.
They are generally happy people. Most francophone African countries are that way though. Life of the party, honest and easy-going.

The part of treating women like eggs is correct too. My mum told us a story of how she went to one African country and a new mother came home gloomy. She thought they lost the baby, only for them to tell her the woman had a baby boy. She never got over the shock until she left there. They protect their women. Nigerian men are probably the only ones in Africa that throw their women under the bus, privately and publicly for a cent. Maybe nothing sef.

Nigerian youths do not go there because it is for hustlers. These countries are not new to us and some of our uncles/aunties rocked it in the 60s to 90s. It just doesn’t make sense to most youths to go to school and migrate to Benin Republic to sell synthetic weavon and hair oil.
the treate their women like egg & their women c them as kings

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by highchief1: 10:11am On Mar 06, 2023
Gatess:
THE UNDERRATED COTONOU

Since I was born till date, we Nigerians have always looked down on a lot of neighboring countries like Cameroon, Togo, Benin Republic etc.
Well, you are not to be blamed if you are among those who look down on some of these countries, even when we have not had an opportunity to cross border.

Well I was one of those people who actually looked down on most of these countries until I had an opportunity to sail round west Africa and the narratives changed.

Meanwhile I was completely marvelled the first time I visited Cotonou, the business hub of Benin Republic about 4 years ago when Patrice Talon newly took office
Two years after I re-visited, after touring round other west African countries. I spent 3 days here and without a waste of time, I concluded to relocate down to this place based on the level of development I saw, the security, serenity etc.

I will say this country is blessed with the best president who is working tirelessly to improve the living conditions of his beloved citizens and I am glad hearing citizens saying positive things about the president.

* Security is good
* Security personnels are friendly and don't intimidate anyone. If caught intimidating you, he or she will severely be punished
" If you are caught in a robbery attack which involves gun, forget it, u are gun forever.
* Night life is topnotch.. in fact their balling na night with street light almost every nook and cranny of the city.
* Policemen scattered at every nook and cranny of the town to maintain law and order and not for stop and search.
* Drugs are only bought or sold at a registered pharmacies and not from quacks or roadside vendors
*Women are like egg here. Any maltreatment or mistreatment, you will face the law.
*Public school, go to sch by 7:30am and return home for break by 12noon and return back to school by 3pm to dismiss between 6-7pm Monday- Friday
* You can choose to relocate from your rented apartment after a month or two cos of the privilege of monthly payment plan
*This is the only safe transit route coming from other African countries to Nigeria. Of course you should know how that helps an economy.
* ETC

Business Opportunities

*Tailoring is a place to explore especially when you sew English wears and Nigerian attires
* Sales of any kind of electronics which you can bring from Nigeria and Togo cos they are cheaper over there and expensive here.
* Sales of second hand phones and laptops, not forgetting their accessories too. Very lucrative
* Nigerian foods are in high demand especially areas where Nigerians live more. U go sell tire
* Sales of sewing machines(more of manual)and it's accessories are in high demand cos this is their major skill work with hairdressing.
* Phone and laptop repairs needs serious attention here cos most of the engineers are not competent enough
* Transportation biz- As a naija man, u will do better plying from border to town, if you are a smart. As an okada rider, concentrate around Tokpa, Misebo and Beach, you will be fine too.
Those who are into okirika(2nd clothes, shoes & bags), it's still very profitable till date but you must have a good contact for you not to be cheated.
Etc

Let me drop my pen here for now. I will be sharing some photos of the places I have been to like the beaches etc . So stay tuned as we will be dropping more information to give you a comprehensive info about the country generally.
this is for obidients
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Quaddafi29: 10:32am On Mar 06, 2023
Don't they have fulanis there?
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by OlaleOne: 11:19am On Mar 06, 2023
Op, please kindly share your contact information or email, it can be very useful for some of us incase of further enlightenment as to relocating, I take God beg you.

* Security is good
* ETC

Business Opportunities

Etc

Let me drop my pen here for now. I will be sharing some photos of the places I have been to like the beaches etc . So stay tuned as we will be dropping more information to give you a comprehensive info about the country generally.[/quote]
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Bbbwings: 11:31am On Mar 06, 2023
CodeTemplar:
In case of chaos in Nigeria, God has opened the eyes of the youths to another Japa destination. Akwa Ibom is another.
Is akwa ibom fine.

1 Like

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Hunchogee: 11:34am On Mar 06, 2023
Bbbwings:

Is akwa ibom fine.
yes
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Nobody: 11:49am On Mar 06, 2023
Gatess:

Many are like you and surviving. Once u begin to learn the language, living here becomes more interesting to u
I've already choose and list the country among African countries I would relocate to If the incoming dunce of a president fails within the first year of ruling. Thanks!

1 Like

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by 1Salaam: 11:52am On Mar 06, 2023
GROUP TRAVEL TO BENIN?

We can go and explore in a bid to settle down.

If you like the idea
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by orikoku: 11:55am On Mar 06, 2023
I don't mind if someone can help me there. Thanks in anticipation.
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Countersam(m): 11:57am On Mar 06, 2023
softsoul22:

I am planning on relocating to Benin bro, how do i hookup?

WhatsApp 08062512778
Call +22999033359
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Nobody: 12:05pm On Mar 06, 2023
franchasofficia:
If you are serious and honest, I will give you a test with some American used laptops to sell, if it goes well, then forget about it, will send you lots more and more.

Do they buy Apple laptops?

Or low version Hp and Dell sell more? Reply so I will send someone to call you
please try and get more info about the poster before heading to send ur goods to him.

Beware of Scam!!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by CodeTemplar: 12:14pm On Mar 06, 2023
Bbbwings:

Is akwa ibom fine.
is not about beauty but civility, organisation, and opportunities

2 Likes

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Gatess: 12:14pm On Mar 06, 2023
KingofTheStreet:
yeah compare to that of Nigeria. Gas, house rent, tax

I don't agree to this. A 6kg cylinder is 5k here and properly filled. House is still much affordable till date. If u wanna compare Cotonou, use Lagos and not osun or nasarawa, so u don't make the readers to have wrong impression.
Coming to tax, wat exactly do u mean. Are u talking of light or water or wat? Light and water are still very much affordable compare to naija. If u are coming from Ogun state, or most northern parts, I can agree that cost of living there is cheaper than Cotonou but very cheap at the northern part of Benin Republic
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Gatess: 12:16pm On Mar 06, 2023
aariwa:
how can one find nice hotels there for a week or two vacation since their language is French and not English

Contact me when ready and let me know your budget
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Gatess: 12:20pm On Mar 06, 2023
franchasofficia:
If you are serious and honest, I will give you a test with some American used laptops to sell, if it goes well, then forget about it, will send you lots more and more.

Do they buy Apple laptops?

Or low version Hp and Dell sell more? Reply so I will send someone to call you

Very saleable knowing the right strategies to apply
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Nobody: 12:20pm On Mar 06, 2023
Kirigidi:
so what will you now say about China with over 1.3billion people yet they enjoy good standard of living. Our population is not even up to 1/5th of China's population. What Nigeria lack is bad leadership
u meant to say good leadership
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by babyfaceafrica: 12:22pm On Mar 06, 2023
Gatess:

I don't agree to this. A 6kg cylinder is 5k here and properly filled. House is still much affordable till date. If u wanna compare Cotonou, use Lagos and not osun or nasarawa, so u don't make the readers to have wrong impression.
Coming to tax, wat exactly do u mean. Are u talking of light or water or wat? Light and water are still very much affordable compare to naija. If u are coming from Ogun state, or most northern parts, I can agree that cost of living there is cheaper than Cotonou but very cheap at the northern part of Benin Republic

How is house affordable please? Self con is about 3-40k cefas monthly.... The strong point for Benin is light and organisation.. But things are a bit high especially when you staying in Cotonou or Abomey

1 Like

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Gatess: 12:24pm On Mar 06, 2023
franchasofficia:
Insightful topic.

What do you think about China trucks, do they sell over there? Even China truck spare parts, is it something you can recommend?

What about tech companies, are there Tech companies there? Do you think it will sell over there? Please kindly comment on these and more, thanks

I see china trucks and I believe it will sell well cos of the busy nature of their ports and remember this is a transit route too. So the parts will sell too cos motor parts are imported from naija.
As for tech companies, there are according to a discussion I had with someone last month and being here for such makes it whole lot easier
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Gatess: 12:26pm On Mar 06, 2023
Anuoluwa12345:
Pls all these 60k cefas ,20k cefas, can we compare it to like 60k naira , I mean the value. Cuz you ppl said Benin is cheap yet I am reading 60k cefas, 10 thousand cefas for hair. Pls help me explain more.

1k naira to at most 850cefa. So u can corelate
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Gatess: 12:27pm On Mar 06, 2023
Anuoluwa12345:
Can we the 500 cefas compare to 500 naira like I mean the value of their money

500 cefa is approximately 575 naira
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Gatess: 12:29pm On Mar 06, 2023
ShowmeHeaven:

Very insightful wow!

How much should someone planing on staying over there for a while come up with?

We need to be specific to enable us advise u better. Thanks
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Nobody: 12:29pm On Mar 06, 2023
Hunchogee:
yes
is it the Nigeria's Akwa ibom the Original poster meant?
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Gatess: 12:31pm On Mar 06, 2023
jrobbins:

Good morning. If I want to enter Benin for two weeks vacation, what would I need and how much would you estimate I'd need to travel with?

If u are coming from lag, u can manage between 150k to 200k
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Nobody: 12:33pm On Mar 06, 2023
Gatess:

1k naira to at most 850cefa. So u can corelate
obviously there's no much difference so to say na small cefa take high pass naira. With 1M naira I can comfortably relocate there that's if I'm not over hyping sha😁
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Gatess: 12:35pm On Mar 06, 2023
Hayomide19:

Hi. My cousin is skilled and very good in motor mechanic. How lucrative is that field over there.

The problem will be language barrier initially except he will get an apprentice or someone that is bilingual to help him interpret. Meanwhile, some skill work here require certificate to practice but can get more info on that but it will move cos they will believe u more being a naiaj and probably u sell motor parts
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by negro77: 12:50pm On Mar 06, 2023
KingofTheStreet:
yeah compare to that of Nigeria. Gas, house rent, tax
Bro can I get your WhatsApp plz
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Jespet97: 12:56pm On Mar 06, 2023
Kindly hi me on Whatsapp 09017088101,some questions I wanna ask but not here pls
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by DrDunamis(m): 1:43pm On Mar 06, 2023
Gatess:
THE UNDERRATED COTONOU

* Security is good
* ETC

Business Opportunities

Etc

Oh my lovely country...
I'll come visit soon...

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (21) (Reply)

Homeless Nigerian Man In USA, Walks The Street Aimlessly (Photos) / Otedola Bridge, Lagos Tanker Explosion: 'Pictures Cannot Explain What I Saw' / Iran: Reconsider Travelling To Nigeria, US Warns Citizens

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.