Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,963 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:12 AM

Is This A Wise Decision? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Is This A Wise Decision? (769 Views)

The Decision Point To Switch Career To Tech And The Second Thought / Transfer Wise Payment / Is It Wise To Build A Startup As A Developer In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is This A Wise Decision? by chukwuebuka65(m): 8:39pm On Feb 24, 2023
I found this YouTube channel of a Nigerian developer. The guy has a lot good videos, about 70 of them . And he has been a YouTuber for about 9 months . But he has only 200 subscribers which I believe is because he uses pidgin to teach, I mean pidgin English. I believe this is a bad idea because firstly, he is limiting his audience to Nigerians, secondly, I don’t think there is would be any aspiring developer that doesn’t understand English .

What do you think? Yay or Nah?
Re: Is This A Wise Decision? by qtguru(m): 8:49pm On Feb 24, 2023
Bad
Re: Is This A Wise Decision? by parcydrix(m): 10:00pm On Feb 24, 2023
You can drop the name of the channel for those that would prefer to learn in pidgin.

3 Likes

Re: Is This A Wise Decision? by chukwuebuka65(m): 10:08pm On Feb 24, 2023
parcydrix:
You can drop the name of the channel for those that would prefer to learn in pidgin.

“Learn Tech In Pidgin English “
Re: Is This A Wise Decision? by Codedboy95(m): 10:58pm On Feb 24, 2023
The person you speak of is actually a friend, Will you ask if it is a bad idea if someone created a channel to help deaf people understand coding by using hand signs to explain? I don't think so. The targeted audience is low but the person is making an impact.

There are people who really love pidgin English and are more expressive or understand things really well when it is said in pidgin, these people are his targeted audience. Not you with the British accent wink

3 Likes

Re: Is This A Wise Decision? by chukwuebuka65(m): 8:02am On Feb 25, 2023
Codedboy95:
The person you speak of is actually a friend, Will you ask if it is a bad idea if someone created a channel to help deaf people understand coding by using hand signs to explain? I don't think so. The targeted audience is low but the person is making an impact.

There are people who really love pidgin English and are more expressive or understand things really well when it is said in pidgin, these people are his targeted audience. Not you with the British accent wink

But his audience will also read articles, blogs, documentations and also watch other tutorials in English. But since you say he is making impact, no problems. We need more Nigerian developers.
Re: Is This A Wise Decision? by truthCoder: 8:09am On Feb 25, 2023
chukwuebuka65:
I found this YouTube channel of a Nigerian developer. The guy has a lot good videos, about 70 of them . And he has been a YouTuber for about 9 months . But he has only 200 subscribers which I believe is because he uses pidgin to teach, I mean pidgin English. I believe this is a bad idea because firstly, he is limiting his audience to Nigerians, secondly, I don’t think there is would be any aspiring developer that doesn’t understand English .

There are many hindi programming channels on YouTube.

As surprising ad it might be, Nigerian pidgin is understood in few countries.

And lets face it. Not all of us can understand English as comprehensively as we form to be.

He has 200 subscribers means he has people who like his style.

What is important is if he can teach.
Re: Is This A Wise Decision? by truthCoder: 8:10am On Feb 25, 2023
qtguru:
Bad
Not bad.

1 Like

Re: Is This A Wise Decision? by qtguru(m): 8:51am On Feb 25, 2023
truthCoder:

Not bad.

I would prefer a Global Audience for Ads and sponsors, but maybe he has Nigerians just in mind. that's why I said it feels bad to me.
Re: Is This A Wise Decision? by parcydrix(m): 11:48am On Feb 25, 2023
qtguru:

I would prefer a Global Audience for Ads and sponsors, but maybe he has Nigerians just in mind. that's why I said it feels bad to me.
That's the difference between the both of you. He is trying to help those that might find it hard to learn with conventional English, also making it easier for those in the streets maybe looking for a way out.

He is solving a problem which is the fundamentals of Programming and I believe with time his efforts would pay off.
Re: Is This A Wise Decision? by qtguru(m): 11:53am On Feb 25, 2023
parcydrix:

That's the difference between the both of you. He is trying to help those that might find it hard to learn with conventional English, also making it easier for those in the streets maybe looking for a way out.

He is solving a problem which is the fundamentals of Programming and I believe with time his efforts would pay off.

Ah I see, valid point
Re: Is This A Wise Decision? by emmyN(m): 1:47pm On Feb 25, 2023
Waste of time and resources. He may be recognized for making contributions to the developer community, but he's not really helping anybody.
Re: Is This A Wise Decision? by Nobody: 3:02pm On Feb 25, 2023
It's not wise.

Like BBC pidgin no one listens to lol.

Personally for me I don't fancy it.

People will understand better if he used English... I don't think there's anyone that can operate a computer and think of learning programming without understanding English.

But sha... it's a niche based Chanel so yay!

1 Like

Re: Is This A Wise Decision? by bularuz(m): 3:57pm On Feb 25, 2023
You can help the guy by posting links to some of his videos here

1 Like

Re: Is This A Wise Decision? by Najdorf: 8:05pm On Feb 25, 2023
qtguru:

Why exactly must he have a global audience?

1 Like

Re: Is This A Wise Decision? by Najdorf: 8:07pm On Feb 25, 2023
If you want do global audience biko create your own YouTube channel. He has found his niche
Re: Is This A Wise Decision? by qtguru(m): 8:49pm On Feb 25, 2023
Najdorf:
If you want do global audience biko create your own YouTube channel. He has found his niche

Agreed

1 Like

Re: Is This A Wise Decision? by qtguru(m): 8:53pm On Feb 25, 2023
GREATIGBOMAN:
It's not wise.

People will understand better if he used English... I don't think there's anyone that can operate a computer and think of learning programming without understanding English.

Even with English e hard to understand.
Re: Is This A Wise Decision? by stanliwise(m): 10:29am On Feb 26, 2023
chukwuebuka65:

Maybe you should focus more on his motives than the numbers.
Was his motive to reach people who prefer using pidgin, if yes then it’s fact that people who go online to find pidgin English videos are few.

It will be more objective if you speak about his quality of video and the work he puts into it. Perhaps if his motive was to get follower then quite alright that is a dead wrong approach. If not then maybe it is not

1 Like

Re: Is This A Wise Decision? by airsaylongcome: 12:20pm On Feb 26, 2023
GREATIGBOMAN:
It's not wise.

Don't dull. Loads of foreigners listen to and read BBC pidgin. They see it as a tool to learn pidgin English. When I say loads I mean loads

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Information Security Software! / Any Network Guru Arround? / Online Business Directory Script

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.