Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,190 members, 7,953,682 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 10:56 PM

A Police Man Confesses - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Police Man Confesses (1039 Views)

What Has This Police Man Done To Be Beaten Up Like This In Effurun / Buhari And Amaechi Enter A Police Van In London (Video) / Look At What A Police Officer Did To This Guy Because Of Fuel Scarcity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Police Man Confesses by steadymind(m): 3:23pm On Aug 30, 2007
Today, as i was on my way to work a lastma official was bribed 200 Naira so our bus could pass one way. one Mopol in the bus was outraged and said, if it was police collecting N20 now you guys will not complian. He later went on to tell us why he could not help being corrupt, he said after serving for 25yrs with 5 children, some of whom are now attending summer school, his salary was still not up to 15 thousand Naira, he said his counterpart in the Ministry would have been promoted several times over. He said

"If i see a Man who just killed someone and he offered me a bribe of a million Naira, i would be insane to refuse because if i refuse and take him to the station, he would offer same to my superiors and they would take it from him and probably transfer me to an uncompleted building.

My Take on this is that the governmentis irresponsible for leaving our security in the hands of Hungry People, an hungry man is an angry man.
Re: A Police Man Confesses by Mamajama(m): 3:46pm On Aug 30, 2007
Interesting and this guy should be dismiss from the force with that kind of attitude. My question to him is what has he done in the last 25 years to better and sell himself? you can't always blame the government for all your poverty. each and everyone of us has the ability to choose to go to school and take on strategic course to distinguish us from our rivals?
Re: A Police Man Confesses by funloving(m): 8:53pm On Aug 30, 2007
And who stopped this reckless ranting rogue of a policeman from being promoted

IS he not aware of fellow policemen who moved from Recruits to Inspectors in 25 years or what of Nuhu Ribadu, who got something like four promotions in four years, moving from CSP or so to AIG in barely four years ?

People should stop blaming others for their position or poverty in life.

Even if he entered the police force as a recruit with Primary Six School Leaving Certificate 25 years ago, if he had continued with part time and adult education by now he could at least have attained HND or even BSc, which would have positioned him for promotion to Officer rank

That policeman and others like him deserve to be excised from the police force
Re: A Police Man Confesses by steadymind(m): 4:15am On Aug 31, 2007
all i was trying to say is that, the welfare given to policemen is really bad. his case is the case of many of the guys(Police) carrying AK 47 on our roads, and they will not mind to shoot an innocent person if they think that the way to care for the gaping mouths at home.
Re: A Police Man Confesses by Mamajama(m): 2:46pm On Aug 31, 2007
steadymind true but his lack of promotion or his attitude is his own fault. Nothing in life is accident. people don't get BSC, MBA OR PHD by accident. you have to be proactive and go for your goal
Re: A Police Man Confesses by yarodin: 6:44pm On Aug 31, 2007
But really what programs are in place to assist these policemen advance in their field? Nigeria is a society of who you know and not what you know, so if you like read all the books in the world if you don't have at least some sort of connection then the bottom is where you going to remain. How do you explain a chemical engineering grad working as a financial analyst at a bank.
Re: A Police Man Confesses by Mamajama(m): 7:16pm On Aug 31, 2007
yarodin how do you explain Economist working in IT in one of the largest communication company in the world. its not your degree that matter its the concept and to be able to make a quick decision. How many people actually specialize in the field in or work in the field in which they have degree? I know more than 100 policemen in Nigeria whom through perseverance and dedication are able to climb the ladder to the top. we need to stop blaming the government and take action. Hard work does pay off, it might not pay off when we expect or want it to.
Re: A Police Man Confesses by chidichris(m): 7:59am On Sep 01, 2007
Mamajama,
i am really sorry for been personal here but i must have to be. it is always a surprise when i see people who claim to be living in london or america write some things here.
Ribadu been promoted to the rank of a field marshal does not make him the most intelligent police man of our time.
he is among the lucky ones who benefit from the obj administration. if we want to be reasonable here, we will all beleive that had it been atiku succeeded in been president, ribadu must be an inmate in one of our prisons and u will see another lucky man ascend to the throne.
in reality, ourpolice men are no where match to their counterparts in most countries.
a senior police friend of mine who visited dubai last time told me that he is ashamed to identify himself as a police man when he saw the kind of facilities the dubai police is made of. they all have communication facilities in their cars, computers to monitor events as they are happening. their welfare is such that when any gets involved in bribery, you will know he needs nothing but deliverance. an inspector of police in nigeria who lives in the insepctors' mess can't be compared with a recruit outside.
with the level of treatment nigerian police is getting from the fg, it will be justified for them to start a 100 naira bribe as against 20.
if you live in america for real, what does it cost to be educated? we are talking about countries where a student can take care of his family. look at our educational system and tell me the ratio of our working graduates as against the unemployed.
i must tell u here that 90% of promotion in our police is based on corrupt reasons rather than merits.
obj picked ribadu all his promotions were not based on his war against corruption in nigeria rather his war against oppositions to the government by the way, corruption has gone scientific and nuclear in the past eight years.
Re: A Police Man Confesses by angel101(f): 8:13am On Sep 01, 2007
funloving:

And who stopped this reckless ranting rogue of a policeman from being promoted

IS he not aware of fellow policemen who moved from Recruits to Inspectors in 25 years or what of Nuhu Ribadu, who got something like four promotions in four years, moving from CSP or so to AIG in barely four years ?

People should stop blaming others for their position or poverty in life.

Even if he entered the police force as a recruit with Primary Six School Leaving Certificate 25 years ago, if he had continued with part time and adult education by now he could at least have attained HND or even BSc, which would have positioned him for promotion to Officer rank

That policeman and others like him deserve to be excised from the police force

I think this is an unfair statement. where in this world does it say u have to be educated to a specific level to be able to enjoy decency in your job?
I always knew the plight of the policeman in nigeria was poor but never thot it was as bad as earning 15k a month. that is just over a thousand dollars not to mention the appalling environment in which they have to live in. meanwhile their bosses have the effontry to cart away billions meant for their welfare!
common man, lets be human.
Re: A Police Man Confesses by cgift(m): 2:38pm On Sep 07, 2007
W should start canvassing for state police. It will reduce thes disgrace enormously.
Re: A Police Man Confesses by Ninjabyte(m): 4:20pm On Sep 07, 2007
The police in Nigeria is a pathetic case. Nobody's saying even when their salary is upped, their wont be corruption. Point is when u hand a gun to a hungry man (not by his own doing) and u expect him to safeguard the very persons that are in part responsible for his hunger, what do you expect. I bet you, nobody joined the police as a recruit cos that was his childhood ambition.
Re: A Police Man Confesses by shostar: 4:33pm On Sep 07, 2007
I wonder why we have to cut this policeman's head for his attitude.
At times it takes God's Grace to sustain in this country.O.k take my case for example,having joined the Army 12years ago, and I've neva been promoted.In quest for promotion I decided to further my education and today, I'm a graduate. Yet, I've never been promoted from morning to night before, mind you I graduated 2 years ago.But to me o, rather than take a bribe and destroy my family reputation with God and Man, I'll rather leave the force. I'm on my way out anyway.

Nigerian Armed Forces Stinks
Re: A Police Man Confesses by BigB11(m): 5:50pm On Sep 07, 2007
For many years now Nigerian police as a job has been the most degrading and defiling job or position for anyone. And it is sad and unacceptable that all the retarded IG (past or present) have done nothing, but added to the debasement of this department.

Even though I'm not condoning the policeman's state of mind, but I totally understand the root of his mentality; and I hold the IG (past and present) responsible.

e.g: Ehindero ran all over this country for many years getting involved with anything and everything except for his main duties as the head of this department. At the end of the day he did nothing, but looked out for himself and kissed OBJ's ass like a 2 year old; what a despicable human being.

My question is, how can a country move forward effectively and efficiently when the security of the nation and the citizens is in the hands of Hungry and extremely unhappy group of people?

In order for one to become an excellent police man, this individual must be committed, dedicated, loyal to his people and country and honest under any circumstances. However it is crystal clear that this doesn't happen or will never take place in Nigeria for many many years to come.
We should look at other countries and it wouldn't take us too long to discover that policeman as a job is seen as a prestigious position, which some will kill to have.

Instead of beating up the poor policeman, let's identify the root of the problem, recommend solutions and hope for the best.
Believe me, it isn't easy to be a policeman in Nigeria!

May God bless Nigeria.
Re: A Police Man Confesses by toksdam(m): 12:23am On Sep 08, 2007
na wa oh,God save naija,no word can justify killing for 20 box
Re: A Police Man Confesses by shilo23(m): 1:33pm On Sep 08, 2007
Even the superior officers in the police force still collects bribe in order to free criminals not to talk of ordinary recruits. All the same, Nigeria need help from God. Let us pray for Naija/

(1) (Reply)

Are Niger Delta People Actually The Most Confused In Nigeria ? / Only In Nigeria! / Cnn Apologises To Atiku Over Report On Corruption Charge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.