Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,991 members, 7,817,922 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:02 PM

25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana (78482 Views)

Wike Warns Politicians In FCT Not To Obstruct His Work / Arrest, Prosecute Police Officers Who Brutalised NLC President – Falana To IGP / Supreme Court Says 25% Of Votes In FCT Not Compulsory (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by ElSudani: 2:12pm On Feb 28, 2023
Gilgil:
No. That's not what the law says.

This is explicit. The word AND has an explicit meaning in that sentence.

There is no ambiguity on what it means. Let's not let conspirators twist the English language

So what happens if I win in all the states in the federation and failed to win 25% in Abuja. But you are my opponent and you won 80% of the votes in the FCT?
Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by Broveens42(m): 2:13pm On Feb 28, 2023
ElSudani:

God bless you, this is the interpretation. The FCT will only count as a state in this scenario where you have 25% in 23 states and also 25% in the FCT.
The constitution cannot say you must have 25% in any particular state to win the election.

That's the corruption I'm talking about. Your opinion of when fct would count does not do justice to the language structure.
Mentioning a name(fct) in the first place means it is not an option. It is a mandatory 25%, whether you fell short of 1 state ie 23 states or not.
It is the language structure.. you can twist the language to suit your needs
Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by mukthar2000(m): 2:16pm On Feb 28, 2023
Everybody speaking good now on behave JAGABAN, as they see that the will be declare president soon.

I am waiting for afenifere leader speech soon.
Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by ElSudani: 2:17pm On Feb 28, 2023
Broveens42:

That's the corruption I'm talking about. Your opinion of when fct would count does not do justice to the language structure.
Mentioning a name(fct) in the first place means it is not an option. It is a mandatory 25%, whether you fell short of 1 state ie 23 states or not.
It is the language structure.. you can twist the language to suit your needs

My question again to you is if for example you won all the states in the federation with 80% of the votes but failed to make 25% in the FCT and I as your sole opponent won the FCT with 80% of the votes, what happens then?
Will the election be canceled?

1 Like

Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by yassinattah(m): 2:17pm On Feb 28, 2023
ElSudani:

God bless you, this is the interpretation. The FCT will only count as a state in this scenario where you have 25% in 23 states and also 25% in the FCT.
The constitution cannot say you must have 25% in any particular state to win the election.

Bros I suggest you have to write IELTs so when you don't get 7 in reading section,then you ll go back and ask yourself why

24 states and FCT means 24 states + or Minus FCT to you isn't it.

Please I don't want to throw vulgar words at you,don't make me pls
Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by Broveens42(m): 2:19pm On Feb 28, 2023
ElSudani:

So what happens if I win in all the states in the federation and failed to win 25% in Abuja. But you are my opponent and you won 80% of the votes in the FCT?

Sadly, the language structure Suggest you didn't win the election , because a name fct was mentioned.
You need to score above 60% in 5 science subjects and maths in order to gain admission...

Maths is not an option

1 Like

Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by splendournoni: 2:19pm On Feb 28, 2023
Those supporting APC I now know the level of mad people we have in Nigeria... with the hardship and poverty they brought you still support APC...

May APC happen to your Generations
Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by OLADD: 2:19pm On Feb 28, 2023
ElSudani:

That is not what the law says. 25% in the FCT is only relevant if you have 25% in 23 other states.

What you are saying doesn't make sense since you can win all the states in Nigeria and still not win if you don't have 25% in Abuja.
The crafter of the constitution knew what they were doing by specifically mentioning FCT. If it was not mandatosry and important, it would have been completely ignored in the provision.
Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by tammie24: 2:21pm On Feb 28, 2023
Obrigardo:

You didn't have to refer to a group of people like that. There are better words you could use.

It's sad that nairaland moderators have essentially taken a break.

This should warrant your account and IP ban but I'm sorry that the mods might not take action.

Cc: Mynd44?
something is wrong with you
You suddenly realize that the mods should intervene but when your people were calling Yorubas all sort of names you were blind abi

I understand how you feel... Shame

Shame shame

Tinubu finally emerged

You didn't believe it would ever happen but God has shamed you guys

Call FBI CIA EFCC and when you are done let us know

1 Like

Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by oyetpel(m): 2:21pm On Feb 28, 2023
mymadam:

The 1983 Presidential Election comes to mind... The Shehu Shagari vs Obafemi Awolowo fiasco. It is well 🙌🏽

Modified: Sorry, 1979 was indeed the year of the scientific calculator 😂

It's 1979 tho.

1983 was the year Buhari topple Shagari.
Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by Broveens42(m): 2:21pm On Feb 28, 2023
ElSudani:

My question again to you is if for example you won all the states in the federation with 80% of but failed to make 25% in the FCT and I as your sole opponent won the FCT with 80% of the votes, what happens then?
Will the election be canceled?

Judging from the language structure none won.
Because none of us met the criteria.. so two of us will go for a runoff
Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by reddingtonblack: 2:22pm On Feb 28, 2023
onuman:

You heard Falana say that Abuja is a state by law.

Abuja is not a state becos it is the only territory in Nigeria presided by a MINISTER.

Abuja is not a state that is why behind FC, you have "T" that stands for territory (FCT) while others bear "states"

A state is a sovereign territory with an elected leader by the residence of that territory.

Was the FCT minister appointed or Elected ?? the answer settles it.

1 Like

Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by Pascal9: 2:22pm On Feb 28, 2023
when the result is reviewd you will see that tinubu will only get 20 state
Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by ElSudani: 2:23pm On Feb 28, 2023
yassinattah:

Bros I suggest you have to write IELTs so when you don't get 7 in reading section,then you ll go back and ask yourself why

24 states and FCT means 24 states + or Minus FCT to you isn't it.

Please I don't want to throw vulgar words at you,don't make me pls

24 states "including" the FCT is the only logical explanation. That is, a scenario where you have 24 states in which one of them is FCT. Any other interpretation just crazy.
Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by deji17: 2:24pm On Feb 28, 2023
Tinubu will have a minimum of 25% in at least 28 states.
Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by Goke7: 2:24pm On Feb 28, 2023
reddingtonblack:

Abuja is not a state becos it is the only territory in Nigeria presided by a MINISTER.

Abuja is not a state that is why behind FC, you have "T" that stands for territory (FCT) while others bear "states"

A state is a sovereign territory with an elected leader by the residence of that territory.

Was the FCT minister appointed or Elected ?? the answer settles it.

The reason FCT was specifically mentioned is to cure a situation where somebody will have 25% in 23 states and in Abuja. Abuja is technically not a state because it does not function exactly as a state does but has however be confirmed with the status of a state by the constitution. If Abuja was not mentioned, people would have argued that 25% in Abuja does not count as part of the 24 states.
So, to cure this, the constitution had to specifically mention Abuja to let us know that Abuja can be counted as part of the 24 states for the 25% requirement. What it then means is that if a candidate got 25% in 23 states as well as in Abuja, that candidate is assumed to have gotten 25% in 24 states and as such, met the 25% requirement.
Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by ElSudani: 2:25pm On Feb 28, 2023
Broveens42:

Because none of us met the criteria.. so two of us we go for a runoff

We are not mad people.
Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by Goke7: 2:25pm On Feb 28, 2023
deji17:

if not more, the losers are aware already, na all manner of excuses dem just they find

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by LZAA: 2:28pm On Feb 28, 2023
GOTVee:
sad Even though I'm a born again Christian, I will like to use this opportunity to thank my fellow Nigerian Christians for voting massively for the candidate with the Muslim/Muslim ticket. This election has proven that we Christians and our Muslim brothers are one. Peter Obi tried to divide us by running a religious campaign but we Christians stood our ground and rejected him. May God continue to bless we Christians and Muslims for bringing this renewed Hope to our great country sad
You are still a m.oron
No correction will change that
Enjoy grin
Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by Obrigardo: 2:29pm On Feb 28, 2023
Godwin4444:
hope u were here yesterday when an Igbo moniker pasted an obituary picture of tinubu?

tinubu is a public personality who's actually involved in the government over your life in certain ways. He is free reign to be criticised. Not like that poster did.
Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by Frizz001: 2:31pm On Feb 28, 2023
I think Falana has said something different from what the Constitution clearly states. Falana, SAN says one must not win the FCT. However, the Constitution is not asking for a win of the FCT but rather 25% of the FCT and 24 other states i.e 2/3 of the 36 states as well as the highest number of votes. There is a clear requirement for 25% in the FCT as clearly mentioned in the Electoral Act.

BigBrother9ja:
Lol

OSŪS thought winning Lagos and Abuja is enough for you to be sworn in as president cheesy

I'm so happy God put them to shame grin grin grin

We taught them and those few brainwashed mofos ọmọ ale jatijati that, being TOXIC, ABUSIVE AND AGGRESSIVE doesn't win election cheesy
Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by Pimine: 2:32pm On Feb 28, 2023
Neoteny7:

Like I said, anything you grasp to feed your delusions is ok....we just want you not to hurt yourself.

I'm sure your next whine would be: "Tinubu will never get a second term".

We heard it all with PMB. Behold the result!

Now, kindly stop interrupting my merrymaking as I bask in your misery and loss.
Overconfidence just like the dead-bat 🦇. This is just half time, bro. Don't rejoice yet.
Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by Frizz001: 2:33pm On Feb 28, 2023
The word in the law id 'and' not 'including'.

ElSudani:

24 states "including" the FCT is the only logical explanation. That is, a scenario where you have 24 states in which one of them is FCT. Any other interpretation just crazy.
Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by Dandas: 2:33pm On Feb 28, 2023
GOTVee:
sad Even though I'm a born again Christian, I will like to use this opportunity to thank my fellow Nigerian Christians for voting massively for the candidate with the Muslim/Muslim ticket. This election has proven that we Christians and our Muslim brothers are one. Peter Obi tried to divide us by running a religious campaign but we Christians stood our ground and rejected him. May God continue to bless we Christians and Muslims for bringing this renewed Hope to our great country sad
My friend speak for yourself and your family. What do you mean by " we the Christians " what do you know about religion?....where do u live in Nigeria
If you think this election is about religion, may you sleep and never wake up...Ode
Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by tyinfinity: 2:35pm On Feb 28, 2023
Let Pandora obituary peter win in London he is still going to be defeated by jagaban og borgu
Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by tyinfinity: 2:36pm On Feb 28, 2023
Obi introduced religious vote in Nigeria but God almighty disgraced him despite his night vigil in churches
Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by Neoteny7: 2:39pm On Feb 28, 2023
Pimine:

Overconfidence just like the dead-bat 🦇. This is just half time, bro. Don't rejoice yet.

I'm overconfident, yes.

Wanna know why?

Because I'm BATman.

Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by ElSudani: 2:40pm On Feb 28, 2023
Broveens42:

Because none of us met the criteria.. so two of us we go for a runoff

Why not just conduct the election only in the FCT alone?
What is the point then of conducting election in the states and not just the FCT?
Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by reddingtonblack: 2:41pm On Feb 28, 2023
Goke7:

The reason FCT was specifically mentioned is to cure a situation where somebody will have 25% in 23 states and in Abuja. Abuja is technically not a state because it does not function exactly as a state does but has however be confirmed with the status of a state by the constitution. If Abuja was not mentioned, people would have argued that 25% in Abuja does not count as part of the 24 states.
So, to cure this, the constitution had to specifically mention Abuja to let us know that Abuja can be counted as part of the 24 states for the 25% requirement. What it then means is that if a candidate got 25% in 23 states as well as in Abuja, that candidate is assumed to have gotten 25% in 24 states and as such, met the 25% requirement.

If i get you right, the requisite is 24 states but in a situation a candidate only meet 23states, Abuja can suffice as supplementary IF the candidate get 25% in FCT.

Is that what you are saying

1 Like

Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by Pimine: 2:41pm On Feb 28, 2023
Neoteny7:

I'm overconfident, yes.

Wanna know why?

Because I'm BATman.
Haha 😂 Good one, bruh. Don't forget to take that screenshot 😉
Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by BigBrother9ja: 2:41pm On Feb 28, 2023
sukar886:

Big fool , osu rich pass u
Shut up wretched osu
Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by sonnie10: 2:41pm On Feb 28, 2023
deji17:
For you to gain admission to Nigeria universities you must have credit in 5 subjects AND INCLUDING maths and English O levels.
If you like score A1 in all other 7 subjects, without those two, you are going nowhere.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Nnamdi Kanu Mobbed In Germany By IPOB Members After Meeting. Photos / 'Thanks': Wike’s Response To Atiku’s Congratulatory Message / Meet Fabian Obi, Peter Obi’s Elder Brother Who Is A Catholic Priest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.