Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,187 members, 7,818,611 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:43 PM

25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana (78490 Views)

Wike Warns Politicians In FCT Not To Obstruct His Work / Arrest, Prosecute Police Officers Who Brutalised NLC President – Falana To IGP / Supreme Court Says 25% Of Votes In FCT Not Compulsory (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by safetyInspector(m): 12:30pm On Feb 28, 2023
Keep deceiving yourself, they voted for him because of Muslim/Muslim ticket. Try to come up with Christian/Christian ticket then you will know their true colour. Besides Tinubu divided us with Muslim/Muslim ticket not Peter Obi.
GOTVee:
sad Even though I'm a born again Christian, I will like to use this opportunity to thank my fellow Nigerian Christians for voting massively for the candidate with the Muslim/Muslim ticket. This election has proven that we Christians and our Muslim brothers are one. Peter Obi tried to divide us by running a religious campaign but we Christians stood our ground and rejected him. May God continue to bless we Christians and Muslims for bringing this renewed Hope to our great country sad

1 Like

Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by kelvin21887(m): 12:30pm On Feb 28, 2023
BigBrother9ja:
Lol

OSŪS thought winning Lagos and Abuja is enough for you to be sworn in as president cheesy

I'm so happy God put them to shame grin grin grin

Sense should help you process what the SAN said, he said win he did not say 25%. so 30% but yet loose is one factor then not having up to 25% is another part of the law
Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by FuckAnyFuckable: 12:30pm On Feb 28, 2023
Some people are just daft. Why the f*ck will FCT be considered important than other states in electoral process.

F*cking lame flat headed illiterates

All hail Jagaban the successful President

F*ck all haters of the successful y'all f*cked for life
Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by Goke7: 12:30pm On Feb 28, 2023
Those looking for a rerun will be disappointed

Tinubu has met the legal requirements.

Results are being uploaded as we speak

Make Una find another reason o time Dey go
Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by drlateef: 12:30pm On Feb 28, 2023
BigBrother9ja:
Lol

OSŪS thought winning Lagos and Abuja is enough for you to be sworn in as president cheesy

Chukwudis and Chinedus ti lulee!!!

1 Like

Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by FatherOfJesus: 12:30pm On Feb 28, 2023
obedience4:

No wahala, when they annul the the election and inec ask for a rerun please quote me..

I can't argue with you.
Look for the nearest law chamber and get enlighten
If INEC declares winner, it will be contested in court.

That's the point, INEC cannot declare winner with respect to that part of the constitution
Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by FOWSkill: 12:31pm On Feb 28, 2023
GOTVee:
sad Even though I'm a born again Christian, I will like to use this opportunity to thank my fellow Nigerian Christians for voting massively for the candidate with the Muslim/Muslim ticket. This election has proven that we Christians and our Muslim brothers are one. Peter Obi tried to divide us by running a religious campaign but we Christians stood our ground and rejected him. May God continue to bless we Christians and Muslims for bringing this renewed Hope to our great country sad

Who is this one? Remove that born again from your statement, you mean with the killing of christians around the country, the diversity of Nigerian, and the fact that a mu-mu ticket is a threat to the unity of the country you come out and type all that.

Truly we Christians are the problem of ourselves and this country.

Because of people like you, we have began to doubt the motive of our fellow Christian brother around the country.

And for your information, it not about Peter Obi. It about the unity and the future of democracy In Nigeria
Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by MichaelSokoto(m): 12:31pm On Feb 28, 2023
Spirit04:
Stop kidding yourself So you think someone from Abuja can decide to run for president, win the entire area denying other contestants 25% of the votes in FCT and use it to hold the entire country hostage even if he doesn't win anywhere else and more popular candidate win in 30 states? So If Kwankwaso were from FCT and contest everytime no one will ever be president? You think the people who drafted the constitution are retarrds?
Eh naxo ee go be na!

As Kwankwaso na fulltime Abuja guy and u knw say him 97% plus votes dey always guarantee, if he vex block road say una no want am 2 win, himself go say make anoda pesin no win naa!

Na normal stuffz!

See Kwankwaso 4 d meme below!

grin

Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by casualobserver: 12:31pm On Feb 28, 2023
Egoat:
But the 2/3 of 37 states is not a whole number. undecided
Or simply put, it's 25% of 25 states as against the popular 24 states?

That’s why you people who are not taught history are disadvantaged. Same thing happened in 1979 and precedent was set. it was determined by the Supreme Court that you will need to get 25% of 2/3rds of the vote in the 25th state. This is legal precedent.

2 Likes

Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by Egoat(m): 12:31pm On Feb 28, 2023
Idiko1:

The bolded is a wrong statement even in applied situation. The summation of 2/3 of 37 is 24.67 is greater than 24 but less than 25. Since the states are not fractioned but whole, therefore 24.67 is appropriately roundup to 25.
I made that statement out of the judgement the court passed during the Shagari v Awolowo's 1983 court case.
The court favored Shagari and claimed 2/3 of 19 states was 12 and not 13.
After all, the 2/3 of 19 is as well 12.67.
Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by cursedAbiola(f): 12:31pm On Feb 28, 2023
Fayos1:

Think about it from this angle.
Assume a very well loved candidate from FCT decided to run for president.
Even if he woefully lost the total election, he will most likely win the FCT with others not getting 25% just as OBI won Enugu.
Do you think INEC will deny the overall winner just because of FCT
then their will be a re-run which a simple majority will now win the election.
the constitution is clear here.
you can't appoint an administrator where you're rejected because that will no longer be democracy.
that's why the constitution was clear on that.

1 Like

Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by infogeneral: 12:31pm On Feb 28, 2023
Even if there is going to be a runoff, It will be between APC and PDP i.e 1st and second positions.
Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by Alba3: 12:32pm On Feb 28, 2023
Egoat:

Point is that.
Popular opinion has it that one needs to win 25% in 2/3 of the 36 states abi? And the 2/3 of 36 states is 24.
If FCT is recognized as a state then 2/3 of 37 states is 24.6 which is not a whole number.
Then it's possibly safe to say 2/3 of 36 states and FCT is 25 states and not 24 states as commonly believed.
This is just grammar. In every context, whether in nysc, census, etc, Nigeria division is referred to as 36 states and fct. If they now say something (24) in 36 states and fct, that means if you won in 23 states + fct making 24, then you're qualified because fct is seen as one of the states. It doesn't mean fct is a must or compulsory.

1 Like

Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by obedience4(m): 12:32pm On Feb 28, 2023
Aboguede:

I am not ur usual ignoramus grin

English is a foreign language and not many people understand it!

36+

That is primary maths

25% in Abuja is a must to win or u lost!

I am not any body supporter here.

Kiss the reality or continue in ur ignorance

From your foolish statement of a compulsory state in USA to this crap you wrote.

Please just look for any legal chamber close to you,
And let them educate you..
Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by Goke7: 12:32pm On Feb 28, 2023
FatherOfJesus:

That's the point, INEC cannot declare winner with respect to that part of the constitution

Labour Party rigging machinery will be exposed in court. Are you guys ready grin
Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by dollynnn(f): 12:32pm On Feb 28, 2023
AroleOduduwa2:
You need 25% there though, that's the interpretation of the law. The Federal Capital Territory (FCT), is the capital territory of Nigeria, and it is in this territory that the capital city of Abuja is located. The FCT is not a state but is administered by elected officials who are supervised by the federal government.

I think Buhari set us all up, they will definitely form an interim government while there is a rerun.

Sensible
Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by maestroferddi: 12:32pm On Feb 28, 2023
Goke7:

They are looking for a new reason to cancel elections no mind them
There is no looking oga...

We are talking about the spirit and letters of the Constitution.

Tinubu is about the only "leading" candidate to fall short of meeting 25% of votes cast in Abuja...

It is without doubt a major legal hurdle...

Get your legal team ready...
Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by TheOmoney(m): 12:32pm On Feb 28, 2023
BigBrother9ja:
Lol

Plz Say something new...City Boy lost his own home....Shame!
Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by drlateef: 12:32pm On Feb 28, 2023
mymadam:

The 1983 Presidential Election comes to mind... The Shehu Shagari vs Obafemi Awolowo fiasco. It is well 🙌🏽

And the role of Akinjide cannot be forgotten.
Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by Jogs1900: 12:32pm On Feb 28, 2023
Fayos1:

Think about it from this angle.
Assume a very well loved candidate from FCT decided to run for president.
Even if he woefully lost the total election, he will most likely win the FCT with others not getting 25% just as OBI won Enugu.
Do you think INEC will deny the overall winner just because of FCT
They won't answer you...Leave them.
Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by Egoat(m): 12:32pm On Feb 28, 2023
casualobserver:

That’s why you people who are not taught history are disadvantaged. Same thing happened in 1979 and precedent was set. it was determined by the Supreme Court that you will need to get 25% of 2/3rds of the vote in the 25th state. This is legal precedent.
You're even wrong with the history you quoted.
Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by AroleOduduwa2: 12:33pm On Feb 28, 2023
duro4chang:
No re run . Go and prepare for 2027

Why do I have to prepare for 2027? I don't have anything at stake. I am only interpretating the law.

1 Like

Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by obedience4(m): 12:33pm On Feb 28, 2023
FatherOfJesus:

No wahala, so it's not rigging now it Abuja 25%
When the law is clear for the blind to see

Nowahala,
Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by nonhuman(m): 12:33pm On Feb 28, 2023
N3TRAL:
Winning FCT Not Requirement To Emerge President – Falana

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.channelstv.com/2023/01/24/winning-fct-not-requirement-to-emerge-president-falana/amp/
but the electoral act didn't say the same thing
Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by drlateef: 12:33pm On Feb 28, 2023
AroleOduduwa2:
You need 25% there though, that's the interpretation of the law. The Federal Capital Territory (FCT), is the capital territory of Nigeria, and it is in this territory that the capital city of Abuja is located. The FCT is not a state but is administered by elected officials who are supervised by the federal government.

I think Buhari set us all up, they will definitely form an interim government while there is a rerun.

Pipe dream. Sour losers. Go and lick your wounds.
Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by casualobserver: 12:33pm On Feb 28, 2023
Egoat:

You're even wrong with the history you quoted.
How am I wrong? I just checked. I was only wrong in because although that was how it was decided in 1979, it was specifically stated In he judgement of the supreme court that it would not be regarded as legal precedent.

https://thenationonlineng.net/akinjides-12-2-3-moniker/

1 Like

Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by FatherOfJesus: 12:34pm On Feb 28, 2023
Goke7:

Labour Party rigging machinery will be exposed in court. Are you guys ready grin
Labour has nothing to lose going to court over it.

INEC will not declare Tinubu winner
Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by Strafudeen: 12:34pm On Feb 28, 2023
mymadam:
Oga Falana, please educate them wella. They need it badly. Thank you 👏🏽

Several SANs disagree with flanks interpretation, so ntooor
Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by VoteTinubu2023: 12:34pm On Feb 28, 2023
Open secret.
Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by FarahAideed: 12:34pm On Feb 28, 2023
maestroferddi:
It is going to be interesting in the legal battle looming...

The phraseology of that requirement is very unambiguous.

24 states and Abuja should mean that winning 25 percent in Abuja is a compulsory requirement...

If the converse is true, then the question is why was Abuja added in the provision?

It is complicated...

That's what it looks like from here
Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by FatherOfJesus: 12:34pm On Feb 28, 2023
obedience4:

No wahala, so it's not rigging now it Abuja 25%
When the law is clear for the blind to see

Nowahala,
Well, maybe APC didn't study the constitution well before rigging
Re: 25% In FCT Not A Requirement To Emerge President – Falana by Babastrong(m): 12:34pm On Feb 28, 2023
[quote author=AroleOduduwa2 post=121337325]You need 25% there though, that's the interpretation of the law. The Federal Capital Territory (FCT), is the capital territory of Nigeria, and it is in this territory that the capital city of Abuja is located. The FCT is not a state but is administered by elected officials who are supervised by the federal government.

I think Buhari set us all up, they will definitely form an interim government while there is a rerun.[ Just be deceiving yourself with half barked knowledge. I wonder why you guys always see yourself as know-it-all]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

'Thanks': Wike’s Response To Atiku’s Congratulatory Message / Nnamdi Kanu Mobbed In Germany By IPOB Members After Meeting. Photos / Mc Tagwaye Shakes President Buhari, As DSS Reacts (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.