Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,263 members, 7,815,430 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:18 PM

Choose Between Hausa, Yoruba, And Igbo Language - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Choose Between Hausa, Yoruba, And Igbo Language (4729 Views)

Poll: Choose a Nigerian language:

Hausa: 28% (6 votes)
Yoruba: 23% (5 votes)
Igbo: 47% (10 votes)
This poll has ended

Similar Words Between Hausa/yoruba Languages And That Of Igbo/idoma / Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary / Marriage between Yoruba And Igbo people On The Rise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Choose Between Hausa, Yoruba, And Igbo Language by spicie: 10:10pm On Aug 30, 2007
If we are to centralize one local language as official language which one will be suitable?

To me Hausa is more suitable because it's widely accepted and if u look at number people that speak other language after their mother's tongue predominantly the speak Hausa. And when it comes to global recognition, Hausa is highly recognize. Please am bias and i need reasonable responds. Thanks.
Re: Choose Between Hausa, Yoruba, And Igbo Language by naijadiva2(f): 10:26pm On Aug 30, 2007
And when it comes to global recognition, hausa is highly recognise

not even.
Re: Choose Between Hausa, Yoruba, And Igbo Language by younghoodi(m): 10:48pm On Aug 30, 2007
what u mean not even.
Re: Choose Between Hausa, Yoruba, And Igbo Language by ssRhino: 11:16pm On Aug 30, 2007
I will admit that hausa is more recognized around teh globe, cos all they speak is the Arabic and which is like the official language for all Muslim, and i must admit that their language is kinda sexy, followed b y the easterners, Yoruba is not bad as well, but if you have to consider how the old skool yoruba pronouce things, it can drive you insane, like if you name is John, dem old skool will pronounce-> Johhnnuuuuu.
But all in all, we are all one nigerian and one love to that nation, i would like to be able to speak all dem language fluently
Re: Choose Between Hausa, Yoruba, And Igbo Language by kojeiwa(m): 12:21am On Aug 31, 2007
I will choose the Edo language
Re: Choose Between Hausa, Yoruba, And Igbo Language by ssRhino: 12:25am On Aug 31, 2007
Kojeiwa, why would u chose it, give us reason now
Re: Choose Between Hausa, Yoruba, And Igbo Language by spicie: 4:34am On Aug 31, 2007
Naija_diva please elaborate "not even"
Re: Choose Between Hausa, Yoruba, And Igbo Language by spicie: 4:35am On Aug 31, 2007
Re: Choose Between Hausa, Yoruba, And Igbo Language by naijadiva2(f): 6:16pm On Aug 31, 2007
spicie:

when i say certain things, it's usually has to do with experience and environment. Hausa to me is not well known or global, at least where i live. mostly you see yorubas and igbos. before at a time, yorubas where well known and if you tell a person that you are nigerian, of the back, they are going to ask are u yoruba. but now i guess people figured that there are more that tribes so they are you igbo or yoruba. i've only met one hause in my entire life time and she claims igbo because she was born in igboland. i don't, maybe elsewhere they are well known but where i'm at, rare amount of people know of them.
Re: Choose Between Hausa, Yoruba, And Igbo Language by younghoodi(m): 9:33pm On Aug 31, 2007
the naija president is naija yoruba and hausa are well recognize we are err were,igbo are recognize in violence 419 on abc that's what make them famous.
Re: Choose Between Hausa, Yoruba, And Igbo Language by chiogo(f): 1:03am On Sep 01, 2007
I have to agree with naija_diva, come to think of it, I've only met one hausa person in my life too but igbo, yoruba, edo, calabar people are everywhere not just in naija but here in d states. Go to Texas, for example, majority of its population is igbo people and edo but i never even met hausa people in Lagos, naija not to talk of here. They Kinda isolate themselves, they only live in d north, their home and no where else so they're not recognized even tho they rule d country. To refer to d topic, idk, both igbo and yoruba languages are really recognized. Even AA's ask me if am yoruba or igbo when i tell 'em am from Nigeria, i was even surprised how they know(my teachers i mean) and this teacher at my school who came from texas asked me if am edo or igbo too when i said i was from naija, he was like "oh, there are lots of nigerians in houston, mostly igbo and edo, most of my students" and he was like "kedu??"he actually spoke igbo.
Re: Choose Between Hausa, Yoruba, And Igbo Language by younghoodi(m): 2:02pm On Sep 01, 2007
chiogo:

I have to agree with naija_diva, come to think of it, I've only met one hausa person in my life too but igbo, yoruba, edo, calabar people are everywhere not just in naija but here in d states. Go to Texas, for example, majority of its population is igbo people and edo but i never even met hausa people in Lagos, naija not to talk of here. They Kinda isolate themselves, they only live in d north, their home and no where else so they're not recognized even tho they rule d country. To refer to d topic, idk, both igbo and yoruba languages are really recognized. Even AA's ask me if am yoruba or igbo when i tell 'em am from Nigeria, i was even surprised how they know(my teachers i mean) and this teacher at my school who came from texas asked me if am edo or igbo too when i said i was from naija, he was like "oh, there are lots of nigerians in houston, mostly igbo and edo, most of my students" and he was like "kedu??"he actually spoke igbo.

THOSE AKATAS THAT ASK U THAT QUESTION MUST BE EDUCATED CUZ THE ONES I LIVE WITH THINK AFRICA'S A COUNTRY,YORUBA PEOPLE ARE WELL RECOGNIZE I AGREE WITH THAT I LOVE THEM 4 LIFE,IGBOS ARE RECOGNIZE CUZ OF THIS JOKES AKATA'S GOT ABOUT THEM AKATA'S THINK IGBO PEOPLE SLEEP WITH MONKEYS,HAUSSA ARE RECOGNIZE CUZ OF THE RELATIONSHIP OUR ANCESTORS HAD WITH ARABS.
Re: Choose Between Hausa, Yoruba, And Igbo Language by grafikdon: 3:00pm On Sep 01, 2007
''Err body'' do not speak Hausa.
Re: Choose Between Hausa, Yoruba, And Igbo Language by younghoodi(m): 7:23pm On Sep 01, 2007
grafikdon:

''Err body'' do not speak Hausa.

have u ever meet a nigerian that don't know what's wahala haba or uwaaka?
Re: Choose Between Hausa, Yoruba, And Igbo Language by chiogo(f): 7:30pm On Sep 01, 2007
@Youngdice$, yes, Nigerians here don't know any of thAT.Maybe d ones in naija. they probably got yoruba/igbo words/slangs used in naija by everyone.
Re: Choose Between Hausa, Yoruba, And Igbo Language by grafikdon: 7:43pm On Sep 01, 2007
younghoodi:

have u ever meet a nigerian that don't know what's wahala haba or uwaaka?

Don't get carried away,young man. Agbero and kilode are two widely used terms by Nigerians, regardless of ethnic orientation. In my 'village' the term Ijebu ode (wrongly pronounced Ijabu ode) is as common as the clouds in the sky but it doesn't mean ''err body'' speaks Yoruba. There's a huge difference between the knowledge of a few words of a language and the ability to speak and comprehend the language. smiley

In the fantasy world where neighbours water their flower in peace and harmony, while walking hand in hand, I'd go with Hausa, but let's get back to the real world where kaka happens. It will be the most ridiculous concept, EVER! No man or woman at this age should allow any language to be imposed on them. It is bad enough that we adopted a foreign language, but it will be even worse than hell to adopt one of the Nigerian Languages. VEEEERY BAAAAAAD Concept.
Re: Choose Between Hausa, Yoruba, And Igbo Language by younghoodi(m): 7:50pm On Sep 01, 2007
i don't even know those words u just said i know yoruba people they are popular lovely people i like em allot,but haussa's err where my nigga in the hole west-africa am moving to this country next to naija call benin cotonou and i have never meet a menber of the 419 tribe.
Re: Choose Between Hausa, Yoruba, And Igbo Language by younghoodi(m): 7:52pm On Sep 01, 2007
chiogo:

@Youngdice$, yes, Nigerians here don't know any of thAT.Maybe d ones in naija. they probably got yoruba/igbo words/slangs used in naija by everyone.

WHAT KIND OF NIGERIANS ARE U TALKING ABOUT?
Re: Choose Between Hausa, Yoruba, And Igbo Language by grafikdon: 7:54pm On Sep 01, 2007
younghoodi:

i don't even know those words u just said i know yoruba people they are popular lovely people i like em allot,but haussa's err where my nigga in the hole west-africa am moving to this country next to naija call benin cotonou and i have never meet a menber of the 419 tribe.

Nigeria is the laughing stock of Africa and the world because of people like you. You label an entire ethnic group as criminals when you have not met up -00.0% of them. I feel very sorry for you because your hatred and vile prejudice will burden your poor soul for a very unimaginable long period .
Re: Choose Between Hausa, Yoruba, And Igbo Language by chiogo(f): 7:55pm On Sep 01, 2007
The igbo and yoruba and edo u were talkin' about 'cause i never heard a nigerian usin' those words here. what's with u and 419 tribe??. is there a tribe for that??. every freakin' tribe does 419. i don't like d way u be talkin'
younghoodi:

WHAT KIND OF NIGERIANS ARE You TALKING ABOUT?
Re: Choose Between Hausa, Yoruba, And Igbo Language by CrazyMan(m): 7:56pm On Sep 01, 2007
I think Igbo should be choosed because most easterners travel outside the country where they socialize with people and in the process; they can teach them the language.

Hausa people don't travel and they aren't social so you simply can't choose Hausa as an official language.
Re: Choose Between Hausa, Yoruba, And Igbo Language by younghoodi(m): 7:56pm On Sep 01, 2007
grafikdon:

Nigeria is the laughing stock of Africa and the world because of people like you. You label an entire ethnic group as criminals when you have not met up -00.0% of them. I feel very sorry for you because your hatred and vile prejudice will burden your poor soul for a very unimaginable long period .

why are u dissin me i was just telling the true i love all nigerian tribe but the true is the true.
Re: Choose Between Hausa, Yoruba, And Igbo Language by younghoodi(m): 8:00pm On Sep 01, 2007
@crazykid 419 is like coke business u gotta travel my nigga.

@chiogo

am not Trina talk shit or something but its just the true.
Re: Choose Between Hausa, Yoruba, And Igbo Language by grafikdon: 8:01pm On Sep 01, 2007
younghoodi:

why are u dissin me i was just telling the true i love all nigerian tribe but the true is the true.

Truth? You have no idea the difference between truth and prejudice. Go and read/research more on the two words and come back and proclaim yourself the ultimate 'truth merchant'. I have suffered your type before and I am certain you're a teenager. It is well, you will attain maturity with age and hopefully it will sanitize your reasoning, because right now, there's so much room for improvement. No, I am not 'dissing' you, I don't go that route.
Re: Choose Between Hausa, Yoruba, And Igbo Language by younghoodi(m): 8:03pm On Sep 01, 2007
grafikdon:

Truth? You have no idea the difference between truth and prejudice. Go and read/research more on the two words and come back and proclaim yourself the ultimate 'truth merchant'. I have suffered your type before and I am certain you're a teenager. It is well, you will attain maturity with age and hopefully it will sanitize your reasoning, because right now, there's so much room for improvement. No, I am not 'dissing' you, I don't go that route.

yo my nigga u can't teach me shit am just telling the true are u igbo?
Re: Choose Between Hausa, Yoruba, And Igbo Language by grafikdon: 8:07pm On Sep 01, 2007
younghoodi:

yo my nigga u can't teach me shit am just telling the true are u igbo?
The most frustrating thing is to have a sane discussion with a ''know- it- all'' teenager. And please, I will appreciate it if you stop addressing me as 'nigga'.
Re: Choose Between Hausa, Yoruba, And Igbo Language by younghoodi(m): 8:09pm On Sep 01, 2007
doggy u black,why are u getting mad at me wow the true hurt.

(1)

What Does The Name, Obasanjo Mean In Yoruba? / Apply For SEIFAC/CBN Anchor Borrowers Programme / KEAGBOREKUZI I, The Youngest Crowned King In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.