Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,693 members, 7,816,833 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:14 PM

Presidential Poll Failed To Meet Nigerians’ Expectations – US Ambassador - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Presidential Poll Failed To Meet Nigerians’ Expectations – US Ambassador (1134 Views)

Presidential Election Failed To Meet Nigerians’ Expectations - Mary Beth / Presidential Poll Failed To Meet Nigerians’ Expectations -US Envoy / US Ambassador, Stuart, Speaks On Nigerian Elections 2019 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Presidential Poll Failed To Meet Nigerians’ Expectations – US Ambassador by iwaeda: 2:29pm On Mar 05, 2023
Eight days after Nigeria held its presidential poll, the United States, has said that the exercise failed to meet the expectations of Nigerians.

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) declared Bola Tinubu of the All Progressives Congress (APC) won the election after polling 8,794,726, almost two million votes more than his closest rival — former Vice President Atiku Abubakar of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

READ ALSO: It’s Tinubu’s Turn! Former Lagos Gov Declared Nigeria’s President-Elect

Abubakar, 76, who has now run for president six times, got 6,984,520 votes, while the candidate of the Labour Party (LP), Peter Obi, who, in less than a year, galvanised young voters in a manner some have described as unprecedented finished the race with 6,101,533.

However, both Atiku and Obi have faulted the presidential election, vowing to challenge the result in court.

In a statement on Sunday, the US Ambassador to Nigeria, Mary Beth Leonard, said many citizens are angry and frustrated with the results, while some others are celebrating victories, they believe were hard-fought and well-earned.

“It is clear that the electoral process as a whole on February 25 failed to meet Nigerians’ expectations,” the US Ambassador stated.

“As I said numerous times prior to the elections, Nigeria has accomplished much in just the two-plus decades since the return to democracy, and a gradual improvement in the quality of its elections in that time constitutes one of those accomplishments.

“The people of Nigeria demonstrated their dedication to democracy on February 25, but there are many angry and frustrated Nigerians as well as many who are celebrating victories they believe were hard-fought and well-earned.

“In the coming days, it will be important for the future of this country that Nigerians not let their differences divide them, and that the legally established process for resolving challenges to the election be allowed to take its course.”

The US envoy called on INEC to promptly address the challenges that can be resolved ahead of the March 11 governorship elections, urging the electoral body to undertake a broader review of the problems that transpired during the last elections and what can be done to fix them.

She also commended Nigerians for demonstrating their dedication to democracy, asking INEC to share with the Nigerian public information about the actions it is taking.

Leonard commended Peter Obi and Atiku Abubakar for their commitment to take the legal path in contesting the presidential elections and also the president-elect, Bola Tinubu, for acknowledging their right to do so.

https://www.channelstv.com/2023/03/05/presidential-poll-failed-to-meet-nigerians-expectations-us-ambassador/

1 Like

Re: Presidential Poll Failed To Meet Nigerians’ Expectations – US Ambassador by God1000(m): 2:30pm On Mar 05, 2023
It was a sham election

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidential Poll Failed To Meet Nigerians’ Expectations – US Ambassador by loosecanon50(m): 2:30pm On Mar 05, 2023
The just concluded presidential election is the worst election in the history of this nation.

If you think otherwise despite all the glaring evidence staring you in the face, then you’re absolutely sick in the head with no hopes of recovery.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Presidential Poll Failed To Meet Nigerians’ Expectations – US Ambassador by amnesty7: 2:31pm On Mar 05, 2023
grin
Despite all the initial gra-gra, even Obi himself knew that he came third.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidential Poll Failed To Meet Nigerians’ Expectations – US Ambassador by VinnyBaba: 2:32pm On Mar 05, 2023
Of course, IT DID NOT. 😏

I Call this Presidential Election an EXPENSIVE SHIT! sad cheesy cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Presidential Poll Failed To Meet Nigerians’ Expectations – US Ambassador by AdaojoTheUrchin: 2:32pm On Mar 05, 2023
It was daylight robbery of the Nigerian mandate.

Uploading via BVAS from the polling unit and confirmation on IReV is backed by law. Any PO who doesn't do that commits a crime. No excuses.

It takes less than 5 minutes to upload results online.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidential Poll Failed To Meet Nigerians’ Expectations – US Ambassador by helinues: 2:33pm On Mar 05, 2023
We have read.

Nigeria democracy is in progress, next election is another opportunity to get it right

1 Like

Re: Presidential Poll Failed To Meet Nigerians’ Expectations – US Ambassador by loosecanon50(m): 2:33pm On Mar 05, 2023
helinues:
We have read.

Nigeria democracy is in progress, next election is another opportunity to get it right

We ain’t waiting for next election, we’ll get it right this time at the Supreme Court.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Presidential Poll Failed To Meet Nigerians’ Expectations – US Ambassador by Fahdiga(m): 2:35pm On Mar 05, 2023
helinues:
We have read.

I weep for you honestly. You are beyond redemption.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Presidential Poll Failed To Meet Nigerians’ Expectations – US Ambassador by CockAndBullStor: 2:35pm On Mar 05, 2023
Was the presidential election that brought Trump into power exceeded voters' expectations? We are onground in the US and know what's going on. US should not meddle in Nigeria political affairs. Bunch of hypocrites!
Re: Presidential Poll Failed To Meet Nigerians’ Expectations – US Ambassador by helinues: 2:36pm On Mar 05, 2023
Fahdiga:
I weep for you honestly. You are beyond redemption.

Would you be able to fill a storage tank with your weeping?

We dey buy tears water in bulk oo

1 Like

Re: Presidential Poll Failed To Meet Nigerians’ Expectations – US Ambassador by DenreleDave(m): 2:38pm On Mar 05, 2023
coachchijioke:

Hey tribal bigot, not all Obidients are Igbos

If I were a mod on this platform, comments like this won't show.

Comment objectively and sensibly.
Only sane comments would be allowed.

Hey Boy, you are just an insignificant lot...

Majority defines all...

I jsut start with una, shebi una fit abuse people abi... Una go tire
Re: Presidential Poll Failed To Meet Nigerians’ Expectations – US Ambassador by Fahdiga(m): 2:38pm On Mar 05, 2023
helinues:

Would you be able to fill a storage tank with your weeping?

We dey buy tears water in bulk oo
Nigeria is now a laughing stock thanks to people like you.
Re: Presidential Poll Failed To Meet Nigerians’ Expectations – US Ambassador by Racoon(m): 2:38pm On Mar 05, 2023
INEC and APC are still thinking and living in a fool's paradise if they think the criminality of incongruent electoral robbery of 25th February 2023 is a hidden sham.
Re: Presidential Poll Failed To Meet Nigerians’ Expectations – US Ambassador by helinues: 2:38pm On Mar 05, 2023
loosecanon50:

We ain’t waiting for next election, we’ll get it right this time at the Supreme Court.

Lol, your in preparedness go still expose una yansh at the Supreme court.

Apc inaugurated their legal team even before the election cos we have considered election dispute, infact Prof Osinbajo is the head of the Apc legal team . We are not going to allow 1993 to repeat itself.

You go meet us at the court even before arriving
Re: Presidential Poll Failed To Meet Nigerians’ Expectations – US Ambassador by Racoon(m): 2:39pm On Mar 05, 2023
loosecanon50:
You mind the zombie. So INEC will be packaging any electoral fraud for posterity? Why are we wasting bullion of taxpayers monies to organise shams or brazen electoral robbery then ask the courts to give legitimacy to illegalities? This country must get it right or divide. I can't be a party to this fraudulent and criminals forcing structures of corruption and criminality on a nation.
Re: Presidential Poll Failed To Meet Nigerians’ Expectations – US Ambassador by helinues: 2:41pm On Mar 05, 2023
Fahdiga:
Nigeria is now a laughing stock thanks to people like you.

It has always been according to you guys.

Sebi you guys forgot to update us when Jubril was repatriated back to Sudan after Buhari resurrected?

Kanu is waiting to curse any of una who go mention him after you are being disgraced at the court cos Biafra or dead if you last resort
Re: Presidential Poll Failed To Meet Nigerians’ Expectations – US Ambassador by helinues: 2:43pm On Mar 05, 2023
Racoon:
You mind the zombie

Racoon is one of the wisest animal but not in your case. Why not terminate whatever contract you had with failure.

Infact, you don't have any single major support argument you have ever won on this forum.

Why not follow us who sabi road so that you can enjoy the best drive of life
Re: Presidential Poll Failed To Meet Nigerians’ Expectations – US Ambassador by Fahdiga(m): 2:45pm On Mar 05, 2023
helinues:

It has always been according to you guys.

Sebi you guys forgot to update us when Jubril was repatriated back to Sudan after Buhari resurrected?

Kanu is waiting to curse any of una who go mention him after you are being disgraced at the court cos Biafra or dead if you last resort
Right in your heart you know I'm a patriot to the core. You know that whatever I stands for is always the truth unlike you and your types that can set the country on fire once it benefits you.
Re: Presidential Poll Failed To Meet Nigerians’ Expectations – US Ambassador by Racoon(m): 2:46pm On Mar 05, 2023
helinues:
Lol, your in preparedness go still expose una yansh at the Supreme court.Apc inaugurated their legal team even before the election cos we have considered election dispute, infact Prof Osinbajo is the head of the Apc legal team . We are not going to allow 1993 to repeat itself.You go meet us at the court even before arriving
You disappeared from this forum for long because you ain't sure the Chicago heroine-drug baron is going to make it.

Now he have been packaged via the structure of corruption & criminality, then You showed up claiming Mr Advocate. Don't worry even karma, providence and God Almighty are going to work against the criminal structure the APC have instituted. Stolen water never tastes sweet.Mark this post.
Re: Presidential Poll Failed To Meet Nigerians’ Expectations – US Ambassador by helinues: 2:47pm On Mar 05, 2023
Fahdiga:
Right in your heart you know I'm a patriot to the core. You know that whatever I stands for is always the truth unlike you and your types that can set the country on fire once it benefits you.

You are simply a parrot who knows nada about how things work.

I dare you and your colleagues to mention just 1 single major argument you have won over me on this forum, infact I fit even dash any of you who can $1,000 worth of btc.

Follow those who sabi road so that you won't get lost
Re: Presidential Poll Failed To Meet Nigerians’ Expectations – US Ambassador by Ustec: 2:47pm On Mar 05, 2023
cheesy
Re: Presidential Poll Failed To Meet Nigerians’ Expectations – US Ambassador by Racoon(m): 2:49pm On Mar 05, 2023
helinues:
Racoon is one of the wisest animal but not in your case. Why not terminate whatever contract you had with failure.
Me follow urchins, miscreants, alayes, owomida agberoes, MC Oluomo, Asari Dokubo, Tony Kabaka, Kekemeke and clique? Olorun maje! We all live to see what become of you all supporting the evil being perpetuated upon this nation.
Re: Presidential Poll Failed To Meet Nigerians’ Expectations – US Ambassador by helinues: 2:49pm On Mar 05, 2023
Racoon:
You disappeared from this forum for long because you ain't sure the Chicago heroine-drug baron is going to make it.

Now he have been packaged via the structure of corruption & criminality, then You showed up claiming Mr Advocate. Don't worry even karma, providence and God Almighty are going to work against the criminal structure the APC have instituted. Stolen water never tastes sweet.Mark this post.

Una paid mod wey dey promote/force the acclaimed Lekki massacre narration banned me for 7 months plus which I had no choice than to respect cos it sure for me die that we will win the election and moreover I have participated in the major role e.g suggesting Shettima as Tinubu's VP.

I only hope the candidate of the the mods who banned me for that long won the election cos if not, na big shame on the person
Re: Presidential Poll Failed To Meet Nigerians’ Expectations – US Ambassador by Fahdiga(m): 2:49pm On Mar 05, 2023
helinues:

You are simply a parrot who knows nada about how things work.

I dare you and your colleagues to mention just 1 single major argument you have won over me on this forum, infact I fit even dash any of you who can $1,000 worth of btc.

Follow those who sabi road so that you won't get lost
Lol imagine what this one is talking! So you supporting Tinubu that rigged himself in means you have won argument over me? The joke is on you.
Re: Presidential Poll Failed To Meet Nigerians’ Expectations – US Ambassador by Mylove55(f): 2:50pm On Mar 05, 2023
God1000:
It was a sham election
because you lost
Re: Presidential Poll Failed To Meet Nigerians’ Expectations – US Ambassador by Racoon(m): 2:51pm On Mar 05, 2023
helinues:
Una paid mod wey dey promote the acclaimed Lekki massacre banned me for 7 months plus which I had no choice than to respect cos it sure for me die that we will win the election and moreover I have participated in the major role e.g suggesting Shettima as Tinubu's VP
Whao! Welcome back! The mod must have helped to sanitised this forum a bit. @ Least for some time. I have never been banned for more than 2 - 3 days but you? A whooping 7 months. Chai! I raise hand for that mod. More grease to his elbows.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Na Lagos Own Enter Your Eyes - Twitter User Drag Obi Over Monday Market Incident / Tinubu Is Gone / I Respect Prof Wole Soyinka But I Don't Agree With Him. Chimamanda Says. Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.