Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,063 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:32 AM

Advise A Tech Bro On His Japa Plan - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Advise A Tech Bro On His Japa Plan (2584 Views)

My Japa Plan For This Year Is Shaking / My Japa Plan Has Been Destroyed / Living In Germany as a Tech-bro (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advise A Tech Bro On His Japa Plan by Savagethe21st(m): 11:04am On Mar 08, 2023
Hello friends, a I am a software engineer working in a fintech company in Nigeria. From the state of things I have resolved to leave Nigeria but getting a tech job visa sponsorship seems to be a herculean task due to individual country immigration laws and intense competition from other software engineers from various underdeveloped countries. Now I came across the German work Visa but I have several questions which I need clarity on. In short I need guidance from people who have undergone the process.

Question 1: I heard you need a minimum of 5 working years of experience. Can freelancing in tech also count?
Question 2: I heard you need proof of fund in a blocked account. How is that done and how easily can I retrieve my money if the process doesn't go through.
Question 3: how long does getting an appointment take(I heard to get a student visa appointment takes 14 months
Question 4: How easy is it to get a job in Germany within the six months. Can I also apply to jobs vacancies written in German while I indicate I am currently learning GERMAN.

Please contribute or tell some one who can to help
Re: Advise A Tech Bro On His Japa Plan by Savagethe21st(m): 5:00pm On Mar 08, 2023
Bizzyman:
Why not look the UK route. Go as a dependant and get your dream job as a software engineer.
how can I go as a dependant, I am not married
Re: Advise A Tech Bro On His Japa Plan by tensazangetsu20(m): 5:19pm On Mar 08, 2023
If visa sponsorship isn't coming forth why not try freelance visa?
Re: Advise A Tech Bro On His Japa Plan by Savagethe21st(m): 7:29pm On Mar 08, 2023
Germany doesn't have that type
Re: Advise A Tech Bro On His Japa Plan by isArray: 10:10pm On Mar 08, 2023
There are a lot of English speaking tech companies in Germany, you can easily get a job when you're based here
Re: Advise A Tech Bro On His Japa Plan by Savagethe21st(m): 10:48pm On Mar 08, 2023
isArray:
There are a lot of English speaking tech companies in Germany, you can easily get a job when you're based here
yea please do you know about the blocked account and how can I put money there. I am really confused
Re: Advise A Tech Bro On His Japa Plan by abuhusna1: 4:41am On Mar 09, 2023
Savagethe21st:
Hello friends, a I am a software engineer working in a fintech company in Nigeria. From the state of things I have resolved to leave Nigeria but getting a tech job visa sponsorship seems to be a herculean task due to individual country immigration laws and intense competition from other software engineers from various underdeveloped countries. Now I came across the German work Visa but I have several questions which I need clarity on. In short I need guidance from people who have undergone the process.

Question 1: I heard you need a minimum of 5 working years of experience. Can freelancing in tech also count?
Question 2: I heard you need proof of fund in a blocked account. How is that done and how easily can I retrieve my money if the process doesn't go through.
Question 3: how long does getting an appointment take(I heard to get a student visa appointment takes 14 months
Question 4: How easy is it to get a job in Germany within the six months. Can I also apply to jobs vacancies written in German while I indicate I am currently learning GERMAN.

Try portugal freelance visa since you have good source of income
Re: Advise A Tech Bro On His Japa Plan by Hannover(m): 6:27am On Mar 09, 2023
So you have not heard about all the layoffs happening in tech lately in the west(Abroad)

You better go and study a medical course or apply for study visa. I observed you Nigerians hardly plan properly before taking decisions. You hear "Japa" the next thing is to carry bag and travelike zombies. Don't worry una eays go soon clear

1 Like

Re: Advise A Tech Bro On His Japa Plan by pseudonomer: 8:24am On Mar 09, 2023
Savagethe21st:

You have no guarantee of getting a job within 6 months especially when you don’t speak German. Don’t waste your time apply for job ads in German, look for job ads in English.

A lot of people got job from Nigeria as a software engineer, this route is your best bet if you are really solid, you must be better than average software engineers. Apply to startups fintech in Germany, improve your CV.
Re: Advise A Tech Bro On His Japa Plan by Nobody: 8:59am On Mar 09, 2023
Why you wan japa sef??

Just stay here and be working remotely for a company based in the EU

As far say them day pay you 6 fig salary , just day naija day enjoy am
Re: Advise A Tech Bro On His Japa Plan by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:47am On Mar 09, 2023
Hannover:
So you have not heard about all the layoffs happening in tech lately in the west(Abroad)

You better go and study a medical course or apply for study visa. I observed you Nigerians hardly plan properly before taking decisions. You hear "Japa" the next thing is to carry bag and travelike zombies. Don't worry una eays go soon clear

Even with the layoffs in the west, there's an incredibly stupid amount of high paying jobs still available. The people mostly affected by layoffs are those who haven't gotten a permanent residency yet. Citizens and those on PR are spoilt for jobs.

2 Likes

Re: Advise A Tech Bro On His Japa Plan by Originalsly: 12:15pm On Mar 09, 2023
Did you try going after remote jobs? ... thinking this should boost your CV and give you a better idea of the competition and your chances abroad.

3 Likes

Re: Advise A Tech Bro On His Japa Plan by isArray: 2:41pm On Mar 09, 2023
Savagethe21st:
yea please do you know about the blocked account and how can I put money there. I am really confused
I am not really sure about how block account works, but you can search online to see what it entails
Re: Advise A Tech Bro On His Japa Plan by Savagethe21st(m): 2:43pm On Mar 09, 2023
abuhusna1:

Try portugal freelance visa since you have good source of income
Portuguese requires you to earn above 2k dollars a month. I earn 800 only
Re: Advise A Tech Bro On His Japa Plan by Savagethe21st(m): 2:45pm On Mar 09, 2023
Hannover:

I am aware but bear in mind there is low unemployment rate so one can easily get a job abroad unlike Nigeria where it takes month before a tech vacancy appears on linkedin
Re: Advise A Tech Bro On His Japa Plan by Savagethe21st(m): 2:46pm On Mar 09, 2023
Failure2019:
Why you wan japa sef??

Just stay here and be working remotely for a company based in the EU

As far say them day pay you 6 fig salary , just day naija day enjoy am

that's the thing. Most companies that operate remotely only want to hire from EU. The chances of getting such a job is like 1percent. They will rather sponsor your visa which is also hard

1 Like

Re: Advise A Tech Bro On His Japa Plan by Savagethe21st(m): 2:48pm On Mar 09, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Even with the layoffs in the west, there's an incredibly stupid amount of high paying jobs still available. The people mostly affected by layoffs are those who haven't gotten a permanent residency yet. Citizens and those on PR are spoilt for jobs.
bro thanks for this reply, you really know what's up. The main thing is to japa and find a way to get a permanent residency. I'm looking towards Canada and Germany. Canada has just been misbehaving with their federal express entry program
Re: Advise A Tech Bro On His Japa Plan by Savagethe21st(m): 2:50pm On Mar 09, 2023
Originalsly:
Did you try going after remote jobs? ... thinking this should boost your CV and give you a better idea of the competition and your chances abroad.
remote jobs are extremely hard to get. Most companies hire remotely but must be within their country or continent

1 Like

Re: Advise A Tech Bro On His Japa Plan by Savagethe21st(m): 2:52pm On Mar 09, 2023
pseudonomer:

You have no guarantee of getting a job within 6 months especially when you don’t speak German. Don’t waste your time apply for job ads in German, look for job ads in English.

A lot of people got job from Nigeria as a software engineer, this route is your best bet if you are really solid, you must be better than average software engineers. Apply to startups fintech in Germany, improve your CV.
bro most people are aware German companies sponsor visa. Once a job vacancy comes out, within an hour there are over 100 applicants on LinkedIn. And the vacancy might just be for one or two people. If you are the manager how will you filter people? Will you rather spend time interviewing all or just interview those in your country which will save you stress of sponsoring visa

1 Like

Re: Advise A Tech Bro On His Japa Plan by Savagethe21st(m): 2:53pm On Mar 09, 2023
Savagethe21st:
bro most people are aware German companies sponsor visa. Once a job vacancy comes out, within an hour there are over 100 applicants on LinkedIn. And the vacancy might just be for one or two people. If you are the manager how will you filter people? Will you rather spend time interviewing all or just interview those in your country which will save you stress of sponsoring visa
tensazangetsu20
Re: Advise A Tech Bro On His Japa Plan by tensazangetsu20(m): 3:05pm On Mar 09, 2023
Savagethe21st:
tensazangetsu20

I will advise you to get a student visa if you have the means and leave the country. Visa sponsorship isn't guaranteed o. And loosing a job while in Nigeria shouldn't be what someone prays for as it's not easy getting another highly paid one.

2 Likes

Re: Advise A Tech Bro On His Japa Plan by Originalsly: 3:56pm On Mar 09, 2023
Savagethe21st:

remote jobs are extremely hard to get. Most companies hire remotely but must be within their country or continent

Then this is an indication that they hire people familiar with how to navigate the local systems.... he is likely to also find it extremely hard to get jobs if within the country until he gets local experience.
Re: Advise A Tech Bro On His Japa Plan by Savagethe21st(m): 4:48pm On Mar 09, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

I will advise you to get a student visa if you have the means and leave the country. Visa sponsorship isn't guaranteed o. And loosing a job while in Nigeria shouldn't be what someone prays for as it's not easy getting another highly paid one.
Okay if I understand you clearly I should get a student job then while doing my masters I will keep hunting for tech companies who are likely to file a work visa for me then I will drop out once I can get one
Re: Advise A Tech Bro On His Japa Plan by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:50pm On Mar 09, 2023
Savagethe21st:

Okay if I understand you clearly I should get a student job then while doing my masters I will keep hunting for tech companies who are likely to file a work visa for me then I will drop out once I can get one

Yeah, find a way to leave. If you there with your tech skills you would be the one spoilt for jobs.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Advise A Tech Bro On His Japa Plan by pseudonomer: 6:38pm On Mar 09, 2023
Savagethe21st:

The hiring manager will pick the best, sponsoring visa doesn’t cost the company a lot. A lot of people are not good, don’t even know to code, and forget about the LinkedIn counter, it counts everyone who clicked on the job ads, not people who actually applied.

Skilled software engineers are scarce… First make sure your CV is solid and stands out.

4 Likes

Re: Advise A Tech Bro On His Japa Plan by Letlovelead213: 2:14pm On Mar 10, 2023
Make ur CV count normally I no suppose comment but I just will. Register on linkedine and follow respective CEO in your field and junior staffs in their or your respective career skills... keep learning keep making contacts. Na when I go Dubai and turkey I believe say I need to make contact and those contacts na him be my saving grace till now
Re: Advise A Tech Bro On His Japa Plan by sharone21(f): 4:33pm On Mar 12, 2023
Estonia- With work visa( D Visa)...

Or Estonia as student and use that to penetrate the IT market there...

Google for details.
Re: Advise A Tech Bro On His Japa Plan by Emeraldfynest(m): 7:19pm On Mar 12, 2023
Estonia is a good place for Tech talents. I also look forward to doing my Masters Degree there and relocate as a student. I'm also a UI/UX Designer.
sharone21:
Estonia- With work visa( D Visa)...

Or Estonia as student and use that to penetrate the IT market there...

Google for details.

2 Likes

Re: Advise A Tech Bro On His Japa Plan by Ibukun06: 7:16pm On Mar 24, 2023
Hi please apply for jobs on Vanhack.com
Re: Advise A Tech Bro On His Japa Plan by Savagethe21st(m): 9:35pm On Mar 24, 2023
Ibukun06:
Hi please apply for jobs on Vanhack.com
nice idea thanks boss
Re: Advise A Tech Bro On His Japa Plan by studyless123: 10:24pm On Mar 24, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Unfortunately everything you stated is not true.
There are no incredibly stupid amount of high paying jobs still available. Not now not before. The biggest companies are downsizing, on hiring freeze and restructuring.

Those mostly laid off are residents. You hear of H1B often because they are the ones very active on LinkedIn and rigorously looking for another jobs. They have a limited time to get a new job. Residents are not bothered about that.

Residents are not spoilt for jobs at this time. Some of those laid off were called back but on different terms. Guess what, low ball. Recruiters agree that there're not many opportunities as before. I know many people who have spent a century of their lives in tech and struggling to get a job now, I'm in the same forum with many of them. For example Adam Davis keeps a blog on his life and have been a great front end programmer for over 20 years. Apart from my personal experiences the job market charts are not looking good.

(1) (2) (Reply)

MY Japa Plans / Uk Visa Fees Changing On 6th April 2011 / Lagos Is Truly A Beautiful City..must See Photos*

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.