Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,765 members, 7,813,537 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:37 PM

Sapele Was Once A No-mans Land By Igbos? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sapele Was Once A No-mans Land By Igbos? (4095 Views)

Umahi: Ebonyi People Marginalised By Igbos, Will Never Be Part Of Biafra / #EndSARS: Most Businesses Looted & Destroyed In Lagos Were Owned By Igbos – Army / The Abia Prince ( Jaja Wachuku)that Proclaimed Lagos Is No Mans Land - Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sapele Was Once A No-mans Land By Igbos? by mightyhaze: 10:33pm On Mar 09, 2023
Agbado urchins on the beat grin

Una no dey tire ? cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Sapele Was Once A No-mans Land By Igbos? by mightyhaze: 10:37pm On Mar 09, 2023
designking:
I am from Sapele and this article is very apt. Even the popular Igbo Quarters was taken away from the Igbos and back to the Okpe community.

The Igbos are always are loggerhead with their host community until it climax to a major bloodshed.

I.just hope Lagos doesn't get to that stage. One reason I hardly acquire property in Lagos is because I know for certain, that a major supremacy battle will occur soon and we Niger Deltans might suffer casualties because we are always mistaken for Igbos

yes o.. Igbo man is the worst thing to happen to this country..

They sometimes disguise too as herdsmen to harass every part of the country.. they are the ones that held buharis skinny hands behind his back for 8yrs and made him not to do a single thing.. Earning him F 11 parallel

V terrible people

Happy now?

5 Likes

Re: Sapele Was Once A No-mans Land By Igbos? by kk2027: 10:41pm On Mar 09, 2023
REDshouse:
Ni Bo la tun Ja si bayi...

Their GRV gov find it difficult to answer questions with most likes rather he was highly selective in answering questions

Tell Sanwo Olu to come lets ask him questions too

1 Like

Re: Sapele Was Once A No-mans Land By Igbos? by REDshouse(m): 11:05pm On Mar 09, 2023
kk2027:

Tell Sanwo Olu to come lets ask him questions too

Tell Seun to tell us how much GRV paid to enable him come to nairaland selective answer session

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sapele Was Once A No-mans Land By Igbos? by honeyB2018: 11:58pm On Mar 09, 2023
cocolacec:
FACT CHECK

COPIED

I am a graduate of Unilag and I was a student of Unilag. As a Governor, Asiwaju performed exceptionally.

In school then, the Igbo boys and girls at Unilag usually run for elections and they win because the Yoruba students usually support the Igbos in a Yoruba dominated University.

Do you know that this "Lagos is a no man's land" narrative by some Igbo people in Lagos is something they have done before in a place called Sapele in Delta state some years ago?

In Sapele, we have Hausa road, Yoruba road, Urhobo road, Okpe road, Itsekiri road, Benin Road and even Esan road but no Igbo road

Alt these roads are named after various tribes in the town

You know why? (He meant why there is no igbo road )

History has it that the road called Okpe Road was originally called Igbo road

It is the main road at the middle of the town though Yoruba road is the longest road in the town, because that road have so many businesses, The Igbo people started calling Sapele a no man's land

This was around the 1940s and 1950s

So during the civil war, the then king of Sapele, Orodje of Okpe then ordered that the name of the road Igbo road must be changed to Okpe road

Today that road is now Okpe road instead of Igbo road because Igbo people were calling the town a no man's land

Also, there is no road in the entire town that bears an Igbo man's name

We have Awolowo road, Akintola road, Adeniyi road

But no single road named after the Igbos because of their attitude of calling the place a no man's land

Most people in Lagos don't know this.

I was born in Sapele and I know the History

They always have this r*de domineering spir*t which is very annoying

When I was discussing the matter with a few friends recently, I mentioned the Sapele case and challenged them to go to the town if they will see any road named after Igbo or any Igbo indovidual

The solution in Lagos is to cut them to size

Lagosians should start buying back their landed property

I could not get a house because they see me as Igbo though I am from Delta state

So, I had to relocate back to my state from Lagos

Igbos are creating problems for non Lagosians in Lagos
WHAT THEY CANT ACCEPT IN THEIR LAND .

Shonde Festus

I forgot to tell you yesterday, that I was born and nurtured in Okpe in Sapele, never heard this your story before.

Very idiotic and useless post.

4 Likes

Re: Sapele Was Once A No-mans Land By Igbos? by aswani(m): 12:10am On Mar 10, 2023
DMerciful:
Read about the civil war. Igbos left every part of Nigeria to the East and declared independence and the Biafra Country was born. Nigerians went there to fight them to return to Nigeria.

Nigeria had it coming. You guys had it coming alright. Nigerians should have left Baifrans alone and continue with the remaining part of Nigeria. Now you've to live with the consequences of bringing back the Igbos into Nigeria

The problem was that Igbo's wanted to take non Igbo's with them and of course Oil is located in non-Igbo land which in my opinion is the real reason that the Federal Government went to war with Biafra.

I honestly believe that if Ojukwu had only taken the Igbo speaking parts of the Eastern region with him, Gowon would have let him be.

Obviously none of this excuses the genocide that followed.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sapele Was Once A No-mans Land By Igbos? by techWriter3: 1:11am On Mar 10, 2023
Instead of some Mofos to contemplate of how to bigger their Lives, They keep on Shouting IGBO, IGBO

1 Like

Re: Sapele Was Once A No-mans Land By Igbos? by tsdarkside(m): 1:17am On Mar 10, 2023
techWriter3:
Instead of some Mofos to contemplate of how to bigger their Lives, They keep on Shouting IGBO, IGBO

true....

1 Like

Re: Sapele Was Once A No-mans Land By Igbos? by vanunu: 1:32am On Mar 10, 2023
leanonme82:
Im not surprised. Even jos people chased them out in the jos killings in 1945. Their arrogance is their curse.

The thing about arrogance is that u will never learn from ur mistakes cos u have to be humble to do that, so its a curse.

Some of you Nigerians are worst than Adolf Hitler.

You hate the Igbos for nothing, Igbos even left your stupid country to form their own country, but your stupid parents and grandparents fought a genocidal war to bring them back.

2 Likes

Re: Sapele Was Once A No-mans Land By Igbos? by christistruth01: 2:03am On Mar 10, 2023
DMerciful:
There is no credible source to indicate this is not beer parlour gossips.

90% of Yorubas in Lagos are not from Lagos. Yorubas are equally immigrants to Lagos, they came early due to proximity.

Lagos belongs to all Nigerians equally because Nigeria resources was used to develop it, of which Yorubas contibuted probably lesser than others.

Speaking Yoruba doesn't make you a Lagos indigene

!Lagos is Yorubaland

Lagos is in SW too

Yorubas are in SW

So why is someone from SE complaining about

Yorubas living in their SW homeland

Is it Onitsha?

How many Yorubas come to Onitsha to tell Imo people

or Enugu People to get lost since Anambra

is not their State?I

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sapele Was Once A No-mans Land By Igbos? by NothingDoMe: 2:26am On Mar 10, 2023
Eboski:
I am born and bre in Sapele, I attended Ayomanor primary school and Urhiapele secondary school in sapele, I will differ from your write up..

Okpe road was change after the civil war, reasons be that majority of the houses in that road was owe by the igbos , the Oghene, Ayomanor many Okpe people share those houses among themselves after the civil war, they did that so that the igbos will not come and reclaim those properties…

Something happened in my street at Oghene road the year 2000 when a son of an Igbo man came back to reclaim his father’s house..

His proof was that his father buried old currency in one the rooms inside the building.

And he showed them the room, and it was discovered there was money in the room and the house was given to him back
Well spoken true Deltan. 👍

Not those fake Deltan Urchins looking for who to buy their hate messages.

All Urchins usually come from the state of their latest propaganda.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sapele Was Once A No-mans Land By Igbos? by vee22: 3:19am On Mar 10, 2023
Who is calling lagos no mans land is that man from osun who feels he can be governor in lagos but a lagos indigene can be governor in osun these are tge real land grabbers. Indigene no be by tribe.

2 Likes

Re: Sapele Was Once A No-mans Land By Igbos? by Taba21: 4:06am On Mar 10, 2023
flokii:
This is eye opening..

Sapele is in Delta na.. so Igbos don show them too for that side.

I am aware that at a point in time in Lagos, Igbos were going to L.G.As to change street names from their original name to their Igbo names but didn't succeed. Our people still had sense back then not the dullards growing among Yoruba population now who will jump at money blindly to sell their heritage.

That is how Igbo behave don't give an Igbo man a total freedom in your region if not you will regret it.

5 Likes

Re: Sapele Was Once A No-mans Land By Igbos? by RealTalkNoBull: 4:11am On Mar 10, 2023
hansoneze:

"So during the civil war, the then king of Sapele, Orodje of Okpe then ordered that the name of the road Igbo road must be changed to Okpe road"

Most likely changed because of the war, not their attitude...even in Porthacourt, settlements name were changed.

This is to show support and allegiance to the Federal Power and disassociate themselves from seccession.

It has nothing to do Igbo attitude
It had everything to do with their attitude

3 Likes

Re: Sapele Was Once A No-mans Land By Igbos? by RealTalkNoBull: 4:17am On Mar 10, 2023
Eboski:
I am born and bre in Sapele, I attended Ayomanor primary school and Urhiapele secondary school in sapele, I will differ from your write up..

Okpe road was change after the civil war, reasons be that majority of the houses in that road was owe by the igbos , the Oghene, Ayomanor many Okpe people share those houses among themselves after the civil war, they did that so that the igbos will not come and reclaim those properties…

Something happened in my street at Oghene road the year 2000 when a son of an Igbo man came back to reclaim his father’s house..

His proof was that his father buried old currency in one the rooms inside the building.

And he showed them the room, and it was discovered there was money in the room and the house was given to him back
In the entire Nigeria, the only people that gave Igbos their lands back after the civil war were the Yorubas and Edos, even though they were Ibos biggest casualties during the war. Biafra attacked them for no reason to kickstart the civil war

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sapele Was Once A No-mans Land By Igbos? by Ofodirinwa: 4:23am On Mar 10, 2023
this is Sapele

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-od-DATc8a8

This is an igbo village, not even a city

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVh2Cyg-Jug

How do you think 'Okpe road' is effecting Igbo people?

2 Likes

Re: Sapele Was Once A No-mans Land By Igbos? by Nigerfine3: 4:47am On Mar 10, 2023
christistruth01:

!Lagos is Yorubaland

Lagos is in SW too

Yorubas are in SW

Is it Onitsha?

is not their State?I

If only you have been to kaduna and Kano, to Jo’s to msiduguri, you would understand that yorubas are not Hausa but settled in those places mentioned for trade and living
Re: Sapele Was Once A No-mans Land By Igbos? by kingthreat(m): 5:04am On Mar 10, 2023
DMerciful:
There is no credible source to indicate this is not beer parlour gossips.

90% of Yorubas in Lagos are not from Lagos. Yorubas are equally immigrants to Lagos, they came early due to proximity.

Lagos belongs to all Nigerians equally because Nigeria resources was used to develop it, of which Yorubas contibuted probably lesser than others.

Speaking Yoruba doesn't make you a Lagos indigene

This talk for justifying ownership of Lagos will chase your people out of Lagos.

5 Likes

Re: Sapele Was Once A No-mans Land By Igbos? by odinga1of: 5:05am On Mar 10, 2023
Eboski:
Please stop this hate against the igbos

Go to Palmer venue , Cemetery road, Okpe road, Adeola road, Boyo road, Chude Grammar school road all this places are dominated by the igbos and we have all live together for years in Sapele, The igbos has never 👎 claim ownership of Sapele local government area, please bring down this your post against the igbos. If you are talking those that dominated Ssapele is the ESAN tribe from Edo state

OP take down this post. This guy is speaking the truth, not OP.

I school in Ugbeyiyi then, my family is still there.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sapele Was Once A No-mans Land By Igbos? by seguno2: 5:18am On Mar 10, 2023
REDshouse:
Ni Bo la tun Ja si bayi...

Their GRV gov find it difficult to answer questions with most likes rather he was highly selective in answering questions

How many NL questions did your Sanwo Olu answer? He is only relying on Tinubu’s demonic looting structure of MC Oluomo agberos to win, but the masses are working hard to free themselves of this yoke and burden.

So help us God.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sapele Was Once A No-mans Land By Igbos? by DMerciful(m): 5:58am On Mar 10, 2023
SW or SE is not in the constitution.
Yorubaland is not in the constitution.

How come a Lagosian has never been Ekiti state governor or Oyo State gov?
christistruth01:

!Lagos is Yorubaland

Lagos is in SW too

Yorubas are in SW

Is it Onitsha?

is not their State?I

1 Like

Re: Sapele Was Once A No-mans Land By Igbos? by skyZine(m): 6:38am On Mar 10, 2023
All these because of an election.

At this 21st century? Common brothers, We've gone pass this aswear.
Re: Sapele Was Once A No-mans Land By Igbos? by agadez007(m): 7:12am On Mar 10, 2023
What the Yoruba people are doing all because of Elections
It’s giving “Hey everyone Come let’s hate Ibos together” vibe

4 Likes

Re: Sapele Was Once A No-mans Land By Igbos? by Putinofrussia: 7:24am On Mar 10, 2023
Tribal write up.Not good.
But then is there anything anybody can do to please the Igbos?
I dont think so.
Why havent the Yorubas thought about what the Hausas did to the Igbos to make them respect them so much in Kano,Kaduna that one will hardly see them going against the wishes of the Hausas/Fulanis there.
The South Africans spoke one language,their nonsense abated.
The Ghanaians spoke the same language.
The Hausa/Fulani spoke the same language,one can see how calm they are in Kano as if it is not one Nigeria there too.
I have heard from several Hausa/Fulani that the only language Igbos understand is violence.
Even Buhari signified that there is only one language that Igbos understand.
Is this really true?
I dont understand o.

3 Likes

Re: Sapele Was Once A No-mans Land By Igbos? by Depressed101: 7:38am On Mar 10, 2023
cocolacec:
FACT CHECK

COPIED

I am a graduate of Unilag and I was a student of Unilag. As a Governor, Asiwaju performed exceptionally.

In school then, the Igbo boys and girls at Unilag usually run for elections and they win because the Yoruba students usually support the Igbos in a Yoruba dominated University.

Do you know that this "Lagos is a no man's land" narrative by some Igbo people in Lagos is something they have done before in a place called Sapele in Delta state some years ago?

In Sapele, we have Hausa road, Yoruba road, Urhobo road, Okpe road, Itsekiri road, Benin Road and even Esan road but no Igbo road

It is the main road at the middle of the town though Yoruba road is the longest road in the town, because that road have so many businesses, The Igbo people started calling Sapele a no man's land

So during the civil war, the then king of Sapele, Orodje of Okpe then ordered that the name of the road Igbo road must be changed to Okpe road

Today that road is now Okpe road instead of Igbo road because Igbo people were calling the town a no man's land

But no single road named after the Igbos because of their attitude of calling the place a no man's land

When I was discussing the matter with a few friends recently, I mentioned the Sapele case and challenged them to go to the town if they will see any road named after Igbo or any Igbo indovidual

I could not get a house because they see me as Igbo though I am from Delta state

Shonde Festus
how is it for sapele now that majority of the igbos left?. It's a shadow of itself now...
Re: Sapele Was Once A No-mans Land By Igbos? by christistruth01: 7:39am On Mar 10, 2023
DMerciful:
SW or SE is not in the constitution.
Yorubaland is not in the constitution.

How come a Lagosian has never been Ekiti state governor or Oyo State gov?

Stop Lying Customary Law is in the Constitution

Customary Law depends on Tribes

Why do you think there is Sharia Law in the North and not in Igboland ?

Stop deceiving People

Also Aregbesola who ruled Osun State twice had a Kogi Father

Bukola Saraki who ruled Kwara Twice is an Egba man from Abeokuta

Please don't bring your Bad Belle Politics of Ancient Ancestral hate and bitterness that blinded you from seeing the Osu People as Human Beings like yourself to our Region

We don't want it

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sapele Was Once A No-mans Land By Igbos? by Badgers: 7:49am On Mar 10, 2023
techWriter3:

Because you are fleas, you disturb the peace of everywhere... There's nothing special about you, just like nothing special about your forefathers who never bequeath you with any worthy town to thrive. Imagine you cankerworms running to Lagos to get pvc just to undermine Lagos political process.... You are all terrorist parasite that will never be humble until thought the 1967 lessons again.

3 Likes

Re: Sapele Was Once A No-mans Land By Igbos? by Badgers: 7:58am On Mar 10, 2023
Putinofrussia:
Tribal write up.Not good.
But then is there anything anybody can do to please the Igbos?
I dont think so.
Why havent the Yorubas thought about what the Hausas did to the Igbos to make them respect them so much in Kano,Kaduna that one will hardly see them going against the wishes of the Hausas/Fulanis there.
The South Africans spoke one language,their nonsense abated.
The Hausa/Fulani spoke the same language,one can see how calm they are in Kano as if it is not one Nigeria there too.
I have heard from several Hausa/Fulani that the only language Igbos understand is violence.
Even Buhari signified that there is only one language that Igbos understand.
Is this really true?
I dont understand o.

So true bro, Just take it. They are an itinerant race whom never build large kingdoms or empires. I can show you a video trending now of some ipob boys in Lagos beating their chest for violence as against the gubernatorial election, in Lagos oohhh not Anambra...

3 Likes

Re: Sapele Was Once A No-mans Land By Igbos? by DMerciful(m): 8:03am On Mar 10, 2023
You guys only make noise on social media[Pquote author=christistruth01 post=121620647]

Stop Lying Customary Law is in the Constitution

Customary Law depends on Tribes

Why do you think there is Sharia Law in the North and not in Igboland ?

Stop deceiving People

Also Aregbesola who ruled Osun State twice had a Kogi Father

Bukola Saraki who ruled Kwara Twice is an Egba man from Abeokuta

Please don't bring your Bad Belle Politics of Ancient Ancestral hate and bitterness that blinded you from seeing the Osu People as Human Beings like yourself to our Region

We don't want it[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Sapele Was Once A No-mans Land By Igbos? by Winnersunited: 8:04am On Mar 10, 2023
cocolacec:
FACT CHECK

COPIED

Shonde Festus
What do you want to achieve with this write-up So Igbos should start crying that one little street name was changed. What has that got to do with your daily life . Igbo blooded towns and villages in Rivers State had the names changed, Igbos moved on and you are just talking about a street. All these 'R' you see before 'Umu', Rumumasi, Rumueme Rumungasi, but still they could not change Ogbonabali. What of Obigbo to Oyigbo. Igbos moved on with their lives, and you are there disturbing yourself because of a street. But I can tell one thing, in all these the relationship between Igbos and their kits and kins within these areas , be in marriage, business and human relationship are still very strong. So my advice to you my friend, is to live your life and forget about meaningless things. If all Igbos leave Sapele today would you be able to fill the vacuum.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sapele Was Once A No-mans Land By Igbos? by Eboski(m): 8:10am On Mar 10, 2023
odinga1of:

OP take down this post. This guy is speaking the truth, not OP.

I school in Ugbeyiyi then, my family is still there.

St. malachy Grammar School or St.Louis

Thanks 🙏 bro
Re: Sapele Was Once A No-mans Land By Igbos? by Eboski(m): 8:20am On Mar 10, 2023
You said there’s name of road in Sapele name after any Igbo man, I have mentioned maduka road, Izu road, so many , I have also differ from your write up, always do research before coming to social media to say things against a tribe.

cocolacec:
FACT CHECK

COPIED

Shonde Festus

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pictures Of Ikem Nando In Anambra State And Girl Spits On Its Ground / Nigerians Are Missing My Late Father – Abacha’s Daughter / Story Of Katsina’s Indigenous Christians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.