Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,831 members, 7,820,913 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:22 AM

Lagos Staff Bus Driver Arrested For Causing Lagos Train/Bus Accident - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lagos Staff Bus Driver Arrested For Causing Lagos Train/Bus Accident (53672 Views)

Lagos Train/Bus Crash: We Begged Driver To Wait But He Refused — Survivor / FG Orders Probe Into Lagos Train/Bus Accident / Passengers Going To Warri From Lagos Found Themselves In Ibadan, Driver Arrested (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Staff Bus Driver Arrested For Causing Lagos Train/Bus Accident by gabbytabby: 9:15am On Mar 10, 2023
Re: Lagos Staff Bus Driver Arrested For Causing Lagos Train/Bus Accident by Tunedey0001(m): 9:16am On Mar 10, 2023
Lipscomb:
All this brt drivers weren't trained always driving recklessly not even consider that they are driving long vehicle.

All brt drivers were properly trained by Lagos state driver institute.

Blame the driver and not the state.
Re: Lagos Staff Bus Driver Arrested For Causing Lagos Train/Bus Accident by bentenny(m): 9:19am On Mar 10, 2023
When a presidential candidate rightly said this unfortunate accident could have been avoided,some ignorant and misinformed urchins with no proper safety training awareness attacked and abused him!
This particular incident could have been avoided had the said driver been patient enough to obey simple instructions along the railway!
I hope the driver is not only arrested but also prosecuted and jailed to serve as a deterrent to other reckless drivers in future!
Re: Lagos Staff Bus Driver Arrested For Causing Lagos Train/Bus Accident by Cutehector(m): 9:21am On Mar 10, 2023
jchioma:
The freak decision of the foolish driver caused unimaginable lose of innocent lives. I cannot begin to imagine what the families are going through now.
true

1 Like

Re: Lagos Staff Bus Driver Arrested For Causing Lagos Train/Bus Accident by shineeye1: 9:23am On Mar 10, 2023
TMSMedia:

https://igberetvnews.com/1440423/lagos-staff-bus-driver-arrested-causing-lagos-train-bus-accident/

There are countless HOT-HEADED drivers on our roads. The day they return home , they boast and brag over their smartness. The day they don't, they are in the morgue or cooling in jail. Awàn oloriburuku
Re: Lagos Staff Bus Driver Arrested For Causing Lagos Train/Bus Accident by shineeye1: 9:26am On Mar 10, 2023
gabbytabby:
Make them check him fit done smoke or na igbo man

Oloriburuku unlimited..
Re: Lagos Staff Bus Driver Arrested For Causing Lagos Train/Bus Accident by RALPHOW(m): 9:31am On Mar 10, 2023
Government should put barriers insuch sensitive points, because of such inpatient drivers

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Staff Bus Driver Arrested For Causing Lagos Train/Bus Accident by jchioma: 9:35am On Mar 10, 2023
litaninja:
Yes, the driver played a part, but DOES THE RAILWAY CROSSING HAVE THE APPROPRIATE GATES/BARRIERS??
See pic

I doubt such can be found anywhere here in Nigeria. The country has been killed by mediocre leadership and nonchalant attitude of the citizens.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Staff Bus Driver Arrested For Causing Lagos Train/Bus Accident by byteem: 9:37am On Mar 10, 2023
Its all the so called lagos state drivers,Most BRT drivers ,VIP drivers ,even Lastma they never obey traffic rules.. they don't stop for red lights
Dont stop at intersections. .. to them traffic rules are for the masses and they are above the law.. the arrogance which they exhibit like they own the road .. its that same unchecked arrogance that led to this avoidable accident ..
Re: Lagos Staff Bus Driver Arrested For Causing Lagos Train/Bus Accident by gabbytabby: 9:40am On Mar 10, 2023
[Na all of your useless lineage onye ara

quote author=shineeye1 post=121623526]

Oloriburuku unlimited..[/quote]
Re: Lagos Staff Bus Driver Arrested For Causing Lagos Train/Bus Accident by byteem: 9:40am On Mar 10, 2023
RALPHOW:
Government should put barriers insuch sensitive points, because of such inpatient drivers

There were automatic barriers that come down with red lights once the train is close .. i know that section .. those stupid VIP drivers broke them.. i know they have replaced those automatic barriers more than 3 times in the last on year.. impatient drivers keep ramming into them
Re: Lagos Staff Bus Driver Arrested For Causing Lagos Train/Bus Accident by HarunaWest(m): 9:42am On Mar 10, 2023
NinjaXmetahuman:
they should also be responsible for the security of their investment.

Hire private security to watch your investment.

You think there are no thieves in order countries too?

That's why am everything needs to be privatized in the country.
lol private security? Who go pay. Seems yall aren't aware that Nigeria is a broke country. We are currently borrowing to service capital and recurrent expenditure. Most agencies have their budget slashed. Even the NRC is working at a loss. What they make isn't even enough to maintain the trains or purchase diesel.
Re: Lagos Staff Bus Driver Arrested For Causing Lagos Train/Bus Accident by HellVictorinho7: 9:43am On Mar 10, 2023
This life
Re: Lagos Staff Bus Driver Arrested For Causing Lagos Train/Bus Accident by HellVictorinho7: 9:46am On Mar 10, 2023
HarunaWest:
lol private security? Who go pay. Seems yall aren't aware that Nigeria is a broke country. We are currently borrowing to service capital and recurrent expenditure. Most agencies have their budget slashed. Even the NRC is working at a loss. What they make isn't even enough to maintain the trains or purchase diesel.
with the so called recovered loots, naija still broke.right?
Re: Lagos Staff Bus Driver Arrested For Causing Lagos Train/Bus Accident by Successlane: 9:47am On Mar 10, 2023
Richy4:
Nigerian Railway Association should not exonerate themselves over what happened... They got 48% of the blame in my opinion...
What safety measures did they put in place to make sure that citizens were safe on the road?

Was there a barrier or barricade in place that prevents motorists from crossing at every rail line intersections?
Was there an Alarm bell in place that warns pedestrians at railway intersections whenever a train is approaching the intersection?.. (incase they have earphones on)🔔🚨

It is really easy to point fingers but they failed in their own part to secure the lives of those motorists as well that lost their lives.. assuming there was a barrier that is automatically or manually operated, that driver wouldn't have attempted to cross 🚧🚷

"............ many cars stopped when they got to the level crossing while the Lagos State Staff Bus driver continued moving.........."
Re: Lagos Staff Bus Driver Arrested For Causing Lagos Train/Bus Accident by uvie66: 9:48am On Mar 10, 2023
LaIabobo:
The arrest is a way to start.

However, the NRC is also to be blamed.
Why are there no barriers on our level crossings?? In those days, these barriers used to be available on major railway crossings and they have staff dropping them when a train is approaching.

Nowadays, you’ll see railway staff holding flags to stop traffic. This country keeps going backwards.

Something similar happened in Abuja last year. A simple barrier like this would have saved lives. Yet we wonder why the life expectancy in nigeria is very low
So after commissioning the trains Sanwo Olu did not enquire about the barriers or his transport commisioner
Re: Lagos Staff Bus Driver Arrested For Causing Lagos Train/Bus Accident by palsenator(m): 9:51am On Mar 10, 2023
Richy4:
Nigerian Railway Association should not exonerate themselves over what happened... They got 48% of the blame in my opinion...
What safety measures did they put in place to make sure that citizens were safe on the road?

Was there a barrier or barricade in place that prevents motorists from crossing at every rail line intersections?
Was there an Alarm bell in place that warns pedestrians at railway intersections whenever a train is approaching the intersection?.. (incase they have earphones on)🔔🚨

It is really easy to point fingers but they failed in their own part to secure the lives of those motorists as well that lost their lives.. assuming there was a barrier that is automatically or manually operated, that driver wouldn't have attempted to cross 🚧🚷

Damn sure you don't know Sogunle in Lagos..... Even the blaring sound of the train could be heard some kilometers away.... That is enough measure. The train didn't derail of its track bro...
Re: Lagos Staff Bus Driver Arrested For Causing Lagos Train/Bus Accident by airsaylongcome: 9:54am On Mar 10, 2023
Richy4:

Says you are in Australia so I can accept some of your not so informed statements. For the avoidance of doubt, the National Railway Corporation had those barriers in place. Locals always cut them off to sell of as scrap metal or because it serves as an impediment to unrestricted access to cross the tracks

1 Like

Re: Lagos Staff Bus Driver Arrested For Causing Lagos Train/Bus Accident by uvie66: 9:54am On Mar 10, 2023
alobright17:
the other drivers that stopped for the train to pass what signs did they see!?

No be on this same Nigeria that drivers jumps red lights with careless abandoned but the same driver won't try that when in another country, here driving one way is common. Even with measures people tend to offend rules and regulations in Nigeria.
....no brother, you are missing the point, part of a railway crossing safety awareness is a traffic lights and safety barriers.
Re: Lagos Staff Bus Driver Arrested For Causing Lagos Train/Bus Accident by Richy4(m): 9:58am On Mar 10, 2023
Successlane:

"............ many cars stopped when they got to the level crossing while the Lagos State Staff Bus driver continued moving.........."

Exactly... What would have been done to prevent motorists from making bad decisions?
Assuming a functioning barricade was in place, would it have prevented him from moving, hence saving the lives of innocent victims?.. I think so.. or what do you think?
Re: Lagos Staff Bus Driver Arrested For Causing Lagos Train/Bus Accident by onadana: 10:03am On Mar 10, 2023
jchioma:
The freak decision of the foolish driver caused unimaginable lose of innocent lives. I cannot begin to imagine what the families are going through now.

The pain of death losing a loved one is something I would not wish to anyone.It is a terrifying experience.A whole new world where only you knows what you're feeling.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Staff Bus Driver Arrested For Causing Lagos Train/Bus Accident by Kingcalls: 10:05am On Mar 10, 2023
Richy4:

Maybe it's time to hold some people accountable especially in terms of service delivery... Willingly accepting what is thrown at you should be a thing of the past especially when you are a tax payer..

I still believe that the Nigerian railway association owe the citizens the duty of care by protecting them... Whether you look after yourself or not...

Besides, I believe a lot of citizens behind the wheels got mental health issues no one knows about.. it's the responsibility of the railway association to make sure such individual or individuals do not endanger others as well as themselves... That's the duty of care I am talking about...

The railway dint operate BRT... the passengers begged the bus driver not to do what he did...but he went ahead.... the railway has no blame in this
Re: Lagos Staff Bus Driver Arrested For Causing Lagos Train/Bus Accident by Richy4(m): 10:19am On Mar 10, 2023
palsenator:

Damn sure you don't know Sogunle in Lagos..... Even the blaring sound of the train could be heard some kilometers away.... That is enough measure. The train didn't derail of its track bro...

This is where those that studied engineering would have helped in terms of the red ink...
Is the sound of train enough to avert danger and preventing motorists from making wrong decisions (based on their knowledge on HSE)

I am shocked that you feel that a barricade in place would not have prevented the driver from moving on...That little restriction from his movement would not have saved lives? smiley....
I guess this is where I will draw the curtain for today as far as this thread is concern... I am exhausted already..Itwas cool chatting with you all
Re: Lagos Staff Bus Driver Arrested For Causing Lagos Train/Bus Accident by ZUBY77(m): 10:20am On Mar 10, 2023
Lipscomb:
All this brt drivers weren't trained always driving recklessly not even consider that they are driving long vehicle.

Is there any trained urchin ?
Even Lasma
Re: Lagos Staff Bus Driver Arrested For Causing Lagos Train/Bus Accident by NinjaXmetahuman: 10:21am On Mar 10, 2023
HarunaWest:
lol private security? Who go pay. Seems yall aren't aware that Nigeria is a broke country. We are currently borrowing to service capital and recurrent expenditure. Most agencies have their budget slashed. Even the NRC is working at a loss. What they make isn't even enough to maintain the trains or purchase diesel
that's why government has to privatize it and let investors take care of that.

Then they can hire private security contractors to secure their investment.
Re: Lagos Staff Bus Driver Arrested For Causing Lagos Train/Bus Accident by litaninja(m): 10:25am On Mar 10, 2023
Funny thing is, the country used to have them. NRC (Nigerian Railway Corporation) used to have either electric driven or hand-cranked level crossings. Anyone who is old enough here can attest to this. After a number of years, from vandalism, to accidents and lack of maintenance, they all disappeared.

This is the result.

jchioma:

I doubt such can be found anywhere here in Nigeria. The country has been killed by mediocre leadership and nonchalant attitude of the citizens.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Staff Bus Driver Arrested For Causing Lagos Train/Bus Accident by miketayo(m): 10:30am On Mar 10, 2023
Nukilia:
The BRT driver might be having mental problem or he is a frustrated soul. The details of the driver should be released and investigation should be carried out about him.

How many public drivers in Lagos drive properly? Both Danfo and BRT drivers are the same

1 Like

Re: Lagos Staff Bus Driver Arrested For Causing Lagos Train/Bus Accident by Originalsly: 10:34am On Mar 10, 2023
Nukilia:

The BRT driver might be having mental problem or he is a frustrated soul. The details of the driver should be released and investigation should be carried out about him.

How about him being impatient and stubborn? I'm almost sure this is not the first time he is showing himself.... either he was never reported or was reported and nothing done.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Staff Bus Driver Arrested For Causing Lagos Train/Bus Accident by jchioma: 10:34am On Mar 10, 2023
litaninja:
Funny thing is, the country used to have them. NRC (Nigerian Railway Corporation) used to have either electric driven or hand-cranked level crossings. Anyone who is old enough here can attest to this. After a number of years, from vandalism, to accidents and lack of maintenance, they all disappeared.

This is the result.

You see. This goes to confirm what I said about mediocre leadership and nonchalant attitude of citizens.
The standard has been eroded and corruption takes over every sector of society. The result is always fatal.
Re: Lagos Staff Bus Driver Arrested For Causing Lagos Train/Bus Accident by omoluka: 10:39am On Mar 10, 2023
jchioma:
Nigeria don't have natural disasters, what they have is human disaster unfortunately.
Yes, just like what emefailure and bullhari are deliberately doing to the economy with their stupid naira redesign and cashless policy .
Re: Lagos Staff Bus Driver Arrested For Causing Lagos Train/Bus Accident by Petdagr8t(m): 10:54am On Mar 10, 2023
And when P.O said that the accident could have been avoided some idiots descended on him with insults rather than listening to his candid advice.
Re: Lagos Staff Bus Driver Arrested For Causing Lagos Train/Bus Accident by alobright17(m): 11:20am On Mar 10, 2023
uvie66:
....no brother, you are missing the point, part of a railway crossing safety awareness is a traffic lights and safety barriers.
clearly you're the one missing the point, my point is putting those measures and after that will you force people to adhere to it ? that's why I used the traffic light that has been put yet people still jump it some even do jump it when others are still waiting for the greenlight. all those measures are there but some people deliberately ignores them .that's my point.

Why you never asked yourself why others were waiting yet the bus driver came and crossed, from the statement it even show that he came and met others that are waiting for the train to pass . what did others that was waiting saw that he did not ? abeg no try to justify this mumu drivers recklessness on this matter, they are the types that jumps red lights even when it is showing red.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

₦250k Fare: Lagos To Anambra/Asaba Flight Almost Empty (Video) / Patos Oghenevwede Lands Plane Without Front Tyre (Video) / Kogi University Graduate Burnt To Death 2 Weeks Before Her NYSC (Graphic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.