Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,223 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:44 AM

Customers Groan As Banks Exhaust Old, New Naira Notes - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Customers Groan As Banks Exhaust Old, New Naira Notes (27486 Views)

Naira Rebounds As Banks Offload Excess Dollars / Nigerians Lament As Banks Slash Withdrawal Limits Ahead Of Christmas / Naira Scarcity Worsens As Banks Limit Withdrawals, ATMs Run Dry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Customers Groan As Banks Exhaust Old, New Naira Notes by dre11(m): 10:19am On Mar 10, 2023
•Banking halls, ATMs deserted •We’re expecting fresh supplies, say DMBs

Despite the reintroduction of old N200 naira notes into circulation, commercial banks in Abuja are still having a hectic time meeting customers’ cash needs as many of them claim to have run out of supplies.

Consequently, the banking halls of many banks and their ATMs are completely deserted.

Anxious customers now spend a chunk of their work hours scouting for a few bank branches and ATMs that will disburse the new naira notes.

Many also lay siege to banks as early as 4am to pick numbers and return later to queue for cash.

Checks by Daily Sun reveal that some of the banks pay as little as N2,000 per customer as against the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) directives of N20,000 daily payouts across the counter.

Deposit Money Banks (DMBs) visited on Tuesday did not accept or disburse the old N500 and N1,000 notes, though a few of them did so on Monday.

Sources said the banks were treading softly on the old N500 and N1,000 notes that were recently resurrected by the Supreme Court, since the apex bank has not officially communicated to them on the next line of action.

At the Fidelity Bank, Kubwa, Abuja, a teller clerk said: We’re not taking or issuing old N500 and N1,000 notes. It’s just the N200 and the new notes”.

At another Fidelity Bank branch adjacent Sahad Stores at the Central Business District, customers were paid N7,000 across the counter.

Polaris Bank in Gwarinpa was literally non-operational as officials claim to be expecting cash from the CBN for onward disbursement to customers.

Stanbic IBTC bank on Ralph Shodeinde Street, CBD, neither accepted nor disbursed the old N500 and N1,000 notes.

However, the bank’s ATMs dispensed N10,000 to each customer, resulting in long queues around there.

At Zenith Bank along the same street as Stanbic, there was no cash for disbursement, just as the ATMs were dry. A staff member said the branch was expecting some fresh cash supply from the apex bank.

Many bank customers, especially Point of Sales operators, lamented the endless horror Nigerians were subjected to as the hunt for cash gets fiercer.

Okoli Janet, a PoS operator lamented: “I thought they said the naira scarcity was to ensure vote buyers don’t get access to cash to disrupt the presidential election. So, what is happening? The elections are over but the cash crunch is not. In fact, it’s worse right now”.

Another customer, Bashir Ali said: “I’m a trader and I need cash. The mobile apps are not working. Network issue. Nothing is working. This is a dangerous situation. They should do something about these new naira notes”, he groaned.

It was also gathered that there was serious cash mop up by politicians ahead of the Guber elections on Saturday.

The Supreme Court in its ruling last Friday, extended the validity of the old naira notes to December 31.

Since then, there has been confusion as the Presidency and the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) kept mum over the matter.

Although the CBN was not a party to the suit by State Governors challenging the naira redesign policy, legal experts say the apex bank would need an approval from President Muhammadu Buhari to determine its next line of action, as matters of currency change need presidential nods to fly.

https://sunnewsonline.com/customers-groan-as-banks-exhaust-old-new-naira-notes-2/

1 Like

Re: Customers Groan As Banks Exhaust Old, New Naira Notes by God1000(m): 10:27am On Mar 10, 2023
I'm so tired and fed up with this country.

The higgledy-piggledy nature of Nigeria is worrisome

87 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Customers Groan As Banks Exhaust Old, New Naira Notes by Nobody: 10:28am On Mar 10, 2023
this country dey on a free fall. feels like nothing is working.

please why is nobody saying about opay.. for like days now you cant do anything with The account. money sent to you wont drop and even if you try sending out The Person wont recieve it..

this thing is really tiring i swaer.. hunger Don nearly kill me

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Customers Groan As Banks Exhaust Old, New Naira Notes by Metaphor44(m): 10:32am On Mar 10, 2023
I've Never seen a country so misgoverned as Nigeria.

63 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Customers Groan As Banks Exhaust Old, New Naira Notes by fidelmarshal199: 10:38am On Mar 10, 2023
Godwin Emefiele will go down in history as the worst cbn governor Nigeria ever had. What stopped him from printing new notes or disbursing the old notes that has been retracted to the cbn. He should continue accompanying Buhari to every International outing as his official side chick. Buhari wont remain in power forever. Dasuki and Jonathan come to mind

89 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Customers Groan As Banks Exhaust Old, New Naira Notes by onatisi(m): 10:41am On Mar 10, 2023
the most lawless country in the world is NIGERIA .
but we can't blame the cbn governor when even the sitting president does not obey any court order even up till the supreme court so why should emefiele obey the supreme court , unfortunately, the precedence has been set, and tinubu too will follow suit, and may most likely even be worse than buhari

Metaphor44:

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customers Groan As Banks Exhaust Old, New Naira Notes by Zamrito: 10:43am On Mar 10, 2023
NIGERIA ; A country were the leaders deliberately hurt the citizens.
This useless buhari administration would one day pay for their sins and wickedness!!

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Customers Groan As Banks Exhaust Old, New Naira Notes by ImoleNaija: 10:58am On Mar 10, 2023
Odaju ni Emefiele yi. I don buy cash tire from POS agents.

I withdraw my support for the Naira redesign, abeg.

I think it's high time we directed our grievances to the CBN branches & not the common banks.

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Customers Groan As Banks Exhaust Old, New Naira Notes by Olarewaju89: 10:59am On Mar 10, 2023
undecided

After banks dish out old notes and i wonder why some useless folks out there continue rejecting it.

This country is the state of total confusion.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customers Groan As Banks Exhaust Old, New Naira Notes by SleekyP(m): 10:59am On Mar 10, 2023
angry
Re: Customers Groan As Banks Exhaust Old, New Naira Notes by stano2(m): 10:59am On Mar 10, 2023
This country fit craze person

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customers Groan As Banks Exhaust Old, New Naira Notes by MrPADDY(m): 10:59am On Mar 10, 2023
This is what you have when you elect those who have nothing to offer into offices. When people want power just to fulfill life ambition, the end is disastrous. Some say it's their turn. Others say it is their religion or tribe. In a sane country, people like Buhari do not get close to leadership positions. He took over 6 months to select his ministers, and he will be leaving behind a country more divided, more in debts, and the citizens poorer. In Africa, anything goes.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Customers Groan As Banks Exhaust Old, New Naira Notes by oz4real83(m): 10:59am On Mar 10, 2023
I went to bank yesterday morning in Benin city and the bank manager was honest enough to admit that there was no money, I still went there today and the same story, he said they were expecting money from CBN and they hoped they will receive it by Monday 😠😠😠. Only those doing non-cash transactions remained in the bank. The evil govt said we should go cashless, but we all know that ussd codes have not been working😠😠. Nigeria is gradually being taken to a state where Nigerians will be forced to physically fight for their destinies.

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customers Groan As Banks Exhaust Old, New Naira Notes by officialfestus(m): 10:59am On Mar 10, 2023
Re: Customers Groan As Banks Exhaust Old, New Naira Notes by tuoyoojo(m): 10:59am On Mar 10, 2023
See as our institutions nor get levels

Supreme Court gave an order, buhari ignore am and absolutely nothing happened with no repercussions

Let's brace up, this scarcity may continue till May when a new transition occurs

Buhari is not yet thru dealing with Nigerians

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Customers Groan As Banks Exhaust Old, New Naira Notes by Adeneeyee84: 11:00am On Mar 10, 2023
After now the igbos will be claiming the country is structure to marginalised them, see what Emefiele their brother is making my eye to see for this country since January 2023. Emefiele wherever u dey for today na Ogun and Sanpona go kill u there in Jesus mighty name

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customers Groan As Banks Exhaust Old, New Naira Notes by fola2222: 11:00am On Mar 10, 2023
I just imagine

Assuming emefiele won apc primaries, and eventually won the presidential elections.

Is this how he is going to treat the citizen....

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customers Groan As Banks Exhaust Old, New Naira Notes by Jahzrockballer(m): 11:01am On Mar 10, 2023
omo 💔
Re: Customers Groan As Banks Exhaust Old, New Naira Notes by Jack500: 11:01am On Mar 10, 2023
Obidients dogs supported this policy, because the fools thought it will hurt TINUBU chances, today Tinubu is president in waiting, while the obidient fools groan with lack of cash.

May it never be well with Emefiele.

If Tinubu no arrest this Emefiele guy, immediately he is swear in, then thunder will fire him.

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Customers Groan As Banks Exhaust Old, New Naira Notes by WowSweetGuy(m): 11:01am On Mar 10, 2023
Metaphor44:
I swear

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Customers Groan As Banks Exhaust Old, New Naira Notes by Lanre4uonly(m): 11:02am On Mar 10, 2023
It is well.
This shall pass.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Customers Groan As Banks Exhaust Old, New Naira Notes by Nobody: 11:02am On Mar 10, 2023
These Meennn angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Customers Groan As Banks Exhaust Old, New Naira Notes by Femisol(m): 11:02am On Mar 10, 2023
This alone are signs of a banana republic

Things like this will in turn kill the hopes, dreams and aspirations of a youth.

As a guy please don’t marry presently because fuel subsidy will be removed this year, Orosanye report will be implemented, tax will increase etc.

I rest my case.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customers Groan As Banks Exhaust Old, New Naira Notes by tiswell(m): 11:02am On Mar 10, 2023
Useless banks with fantastically corrupt individuals

1 Like

Re: Customers Groan As Banks Exhaust Old, New Naira Notes by Bananapill: 11:03am On Mar 10, 2023
azraeljaheel:
this country dey on a free fall. feels like nothing is working.

please why is nobody saying about opay.. for like days now you cant do anything with The account. money sent to you wont drop and even if you try sending out The Person wont recieve it..

this thing is really tiring i swaer.. hunger Don nearly kill me

I've been sending with my OPay account and receiving.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customers Groan As Banks Exhaust Old, New Naira Notes by davillian(m): 11:03am On Mar 10, 2023
The amount of new note printed is not even up to half of the old note collected by CBN......
I think the CBN either produce more new notes or pump the old note in thier possession to the economy....
But guess what they are not printing new notes
And not releasing the old notes...
Some should explain this policy cus I don't understand the aim of such

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customers Groan As Banks Exhaust Old, New Naira Notes by inoki247: 11:03am On Mar 10, 2023
Lol confused country with confused citizens....

5 Likes

Re: Customers Groan As Banks Exhaust Old, New Naira Notes by Klington: 11:03am On Mar 10, 2023
cool
Re: Customers Groan As Banks Exhaust Old, New Naira Notes by WowSweetGuy(m): 11:04am On Mar 10, 2023
Are we just going to sit down and watch these idiots in government who are mere human do strong thing to us like this...I think its time to occupy Nigeria

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Customers Groan As Banks Exhaust Old, New Naira Notes by MuchAdo: 11:04am On Mar 10, 2023
Emefiele MUST go to jail! angry

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customers Groan As Banks Exhaust Old, New Naira Notes by sukkot: 11:04am On Mar 10, 2023
i am now comfortable with this cashless thing. havent had any physical money in over 2 weeks now

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Dangote To Get 3-Year Tax Relief After Constructing Apapa-Oworonshoki Road / 3 Legitimate Online Businesses A Nigerian Can Start Today / Naira Crashes To N400/$1 At Parallel Market, Lowest Rate Ever

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.