Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,315 members, 7,811,939 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:10 AM

NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? (21804 Views)

6 Things Anyone Who Just Finished NYSC Will Relate With / Akwa Ibom Police Brutalized Corpers To An Unconscious State(Photos) / Private Companies In Lagos That Accept Youth Corpers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by Marchman: 5:07pm On Sep 15, 2011
I love this Minister

We Won't Post Corps Members to Private Companies Again - Minister

Youth corps members will no longer be deployed to private establishments for the mandatory one year national service, Minister of Youth Development Bolaji Abdullahi has said.

The minister, who said this in Abuja Tuesday while speaking at a media briefing marking President Jonathan’s first 100 days in office, said government resources could not be used to sustain private organizations, noting that 90 percent of his ministry’s budget is spent on the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) alone.

“Youth corps members will no longer be deployed to privately owned establishments for their one year mandatory service as this is tantamount to using government resources to sustain the private companies”, he said.

He, however, assured that government’s efforts towards creating jobs in all sectors of the economy would soon yield results

http://allafrica.com/stories/201109151443.html
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by expensive007(m): 12:03am On Sep 16, 2011
welll i think its ok. bcus this will serves as a challenge to the government to create more jobs for the yought corps. at least after there service year, those thst performed very well will be retained in the government establishment.
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by expensive007(m): 12:08am On Sep 16, 2011
welll i think its ok. bcus this will serve as a challenge to the government to create more jobs for the youht corps. at least after their service year, those that performed very well can be retained in the government establishment. thereby giving them opportunity to work coveniently, welll i think its ok. bcus this will serve as a challenge to the government to create more jobs for the youht corps. at least after their service year, those that performed very well can be retained in the government establishment. thereby giving them opportunity to work coveniently,
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by slimyem: 10:02am On Sep 16, 2011
at least they'd stop posting corpers to beer palours.
At the same time,i doubt if this will take effect considering the number of graduated posted for nysc yearly.
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by tunyus(m): 10:03am On Sep 16, 2011
I’m one of those agitating against the proscription of NYSC. It’s obvious that banks/oil companies are very juicy for corps members due to the mouth-watering allowance ranging from N30-50K monthly allowance, whereas, their colleagues in schools and other organisations receive 5k or less even some organisations don’t pay at all. From all indications, the mad rush of corps members to serve in these juicy companies is as a result of the financial incentives. Have u taken time to find out those that are absorbed in banks? I’ll tell you; they’re relatives of top shots of these companies or connected to those in corridor of power. Corps members who are posted by NYSC officials to serve in the banks are not usually accepted; even those who read Accounting, Biz Admin or other related courses are rejected because they’re not ‘connected.’ Have u also asked yourself why most of the corps members are ladies? They fuse them in the marketing dept. to get unrealistic targets. What happens when they could not get it? They have to succumb to all sorts of demands from management! If they refuse, they would go to classroom(s) or go to a place where little or nothing is paid. My assertion is based on evidence before me as a serving corps member. Why is everything in Nigeria being pushed to religion, how is the issue of a policy to restrain corps members to serve in banks relates to religion? My candid opinion is that posting of corps members to these places are being influenced by their family members or use what they have to get what they want. Meanwhile, the FG’s reasons to ban posting of corps members to banks is part of the reforms to b carried out in the NYSC. The minister said 90% of d ministry’s budget is spent on 10% of youth’s population (corppers) in d country. “it’s using public funds to subsidize private business.” For me it’s a welcome devt. You re expected to serve the country not where you’ll get juicy pay.
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by otokx(m): 10:19am On Sep 16, 2011
Can they implement it?
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by HISfavoryt: 10:20am On Sep 16, 2011
Well, if they've decided so, no problem. But come 2 think of it, how many public firms/companies will contain all d graduates per year. Let it not be 2moro now they will start limiting d number of graduates 4 NYSC. They should look well b4 leaping.
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by amdman: 10:25am On Sep 16, 2011
tunyus:

I’m one of those agitating against the proscription of NYSC. It’s obvious that banks/oil companies are very juicy for corps members due to the mouth-watering allowance ranging from N30-50K monthly allowance, whereas, their colleagues in schools and other organisations receive 5k or less even some organisations don’t pay at all. From all indications, the mad rush of corps members to serve in these juicy companies is as a result of the financial incentives. Have u taken time to find out those that are absorbed in banks? I’ll tell you; they’re relatives of top shots of these companies or connected to those in corridor of power. Corps members who are posted by NYSC officials to serve in the banks are not usually accepted; even those who read Accounting, Biz Admin or other related courses are rejected because they’re not ‘connected.’ Have u also asked yourself why most of the corps members are ladies? They fuse them in the marketing dept. to get unrealistic targets. What happens when they could not get it? They have to succumb to all sorts of demands from management! If they refuse, they would go to classroom(s) or go to a place where little or nothing is paid. My assertion is based on evidence before me as a serving corps member. Why is everything in Nigeria being pushed to religion, how is the issue of a policy to restrain corps members to serve in banks relates to religion? My candid opinion is that posting of corps members to these places are being influenced by their family members or use what they have to get what they want. Meanwhile, the FG’s reasons to ban posting of corps members to banks is part of the reforms to b carried out in the NYSC. The minister said 90% of d ministry’s budget is spent on 10% of youth’s population (corppers) in d country. “it’s using public funds to subsidize private business.” For me it’s a welcome devt. You re expected to serve the country not where you’ll get juicy pay.

Your comment portrays that nothing works in Nigeria except you are connected, and that is very wrong thinking. We know that this exists in a so many places, but there are still opportunities for people to distinguish themselves.

I work in the Banking industry and corp members in my Bank are not assigned to marketing functions and those that distinguish themselves are retained provided they can pass the requisite tests.
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by gtnapes: 10:26am On Sep 16, 2011
Goodnews in disguised………. Their children are posted to good private sector like oil and gas companies  while ordinary are posted to classroom  …….
But where are the FG sectors that would accommodate all Youth corps,
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by kcpumping(m): 10:29am On Sep 16, 2011
just like u said,it is a welcome development bt were ar the establishment dat will absobe all d thousands of youth going for service every 3 mnths or so,wel,d allowance of a corps menmber is more dan what i received while serving bt even at dat if d ministers son/daughter is going for service were do u think he wil serve? Ofcos in asorck, u c? So d commoner wil go to primary school to teach ba?rubbish,

1 Like

Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by Seun(m): 10:39am On Sep 16, 2011
Does the minister for youth development have that authority?
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by aquita(m): 10:44am On Sep 16, 2011
Seun:

Does the minister for youth development have that authority?
The minister for youth development should have the authority since his ministry funds the activities of NYSC.
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by doctokwus: 10:48am On Sep 16, 2011
Anoda half thought out policy.Do u know how many youth corpers in goverment establishments,particularly ministries are idle do nothing during dere service yrs?D private sector is where some of dem get d workin xperience dey wi eva get b4 dey enta d job market
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by buzcenter: 11:14am On Sep 16, 2011
y
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by Nobody: 11:21am On Sep 16, 2011
slimyem:

at least they'd stop posting corpers to beer palours.

Beer parlours?  shocked grin
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by bolee(f): 11:24am On Sep 16, 2011
Welcome development !
My take is that the Private establishments will stop using the corpers as cheap labour instead of employing people into roles.
They prefer to use Contract staff and corpers for mandatory roles.
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by pinkrex(m): 11:27am On Sep 16, 2011
doctokwus:

Anoda half thought out policy.Do u know how many youth corpers in goverment establishments,particularly ministries are idle do nothing during dere service yrs?D private sector is where some of dem get d workin xperience dey wi eva get b4 dey enta d job market

That's very true, but how many of the less privileged ones get to be posted and accepted in so called private sectors? If its a service to the nation then it should be a service to the populace which is the Government!! shikina!
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by Ben13: 11:27am On Sep 16, 2011
It's food. But most corpers will have to teach in govt. secondary schools then, 'cos I'm just thinking of other government establishments the minister is referring to. undecided
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by Johnpaul2k2(m): 11:29am On Sep 16, 2011
when privates are paying 'hard currencies' like 30k, 40k  smiley smiley
while all the ministries (ie ministries of no work grin grin) pay nothing less than akala money tongue tongue
God punish him there cheesy cheesy
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by bigfat01: 11:30am On Sep 16, 2011
this is not nice
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by tayoTFC(m): 11:31am On Sep 16, 2011
good ideal if only they can implement it,

private company are found of use and dump method simply because they no NYSC is sodier go sodier come, as a result they refuse to employe ppl, waiting for another bacth of coper to use for another year.
just like my office imagine only 3 staff in Group internal audit depart, with a subsidary of 6 company to Audit every 3 /3 month, but relie on coper every year to serve as Audit assistant,
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by okeyxyz(m): 11:36am On Sep 16, 2011
doctokwus:

thanx for your thoughts. everybody else seems to think this is a good idea. if u don't post corp members to private sector businesses, then what would they be doing at the over-bloated government institutions where many workers just sit around doing little or nothing, without challenge or motivation. the only way we can move forward economically is to put our youths into businesses(especially profit driven ones like private businesses) to nurture their entrepreneurial and leadership talents, learn to earn an honest living by hard work and accountability(we definitely don't learn such at government organisations, instead it's sabotage and corruption). can anybody name one govt institution that is properly and responsibly run in all of nigeria? start with police, NNPC, PHCN, NITEL, national assembly, budget dept(let's see if okonjo can help sanitize that one),  local govts, govt schools(no wonder private schools are thriving), mehn, the list is infinite, yet this are the same place u want to send our leaders of tomorrow? sadly it seems we are not ready to improve.
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by kannymoore(m): 11:45am On Sep 16, 2011
a very good move if i must say. I'd love them to be sent the public school system where their expertise is much needed.
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by pinkrex(m): 11:52am On Sep 16, 2011
okeyxyz:

thanx for your thoughts. everybody else seems to think this is a good idea. if u don't post corp members to private sector businesses, then what would they be doing at the over-bloated government institutions where many workers just sit around doing little or nothing, without challenge or motivation. the only way we can move forward economically is to put our youths into businesses(especially profit driven ones like private businesses) to nurture their entrepreneurial and leadership talents, learn to earn an honest living by hard work and accountability(we definitely don't learn such at government organisations, instead it's sabotage and corruption). can anybody name one govt institution that is properly and responsibly run in all of nigeria? start with police, NNPC, PHCN, NITEL, national assembly, budget dept(let's see if okonjo can help sanitize that one),  local govts, govt schools(no wonder private schools are thriving), mehn, the list is infinite, yet this are the same place u want to send our leaders of tomorrow? sadly it seems we are not ready to improve.

Nice one bro, But you have so forgotten something

1. The NYSC is a service to the nation and not the private organisations.
2. most of the people posted to good private organisations is based of connections or family business hereby defeating the purpose of nysc's establishment
3. Every company or private company would have a proper recruitment policy, they wont have to start freshers with 200k salary, because you are being trained on the job.
4. It will curb the issue of 'no experience no job' or perhaps excessive demands from freshers.
5. It will reduce unemployment, by reducing ration of EXperience  before employment.
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by okeyxyz(m): 11:52am On Sep 16, 2011
slimyem:

at least they'd stop posting corpers to beer palours

And what is wrong with a beer parlour?
i don't mean to denigrate u, but it's only in backward societies like ours that people redicule beer palours. i have visited the UK a few times & US once, put a beer palour in ur CV and people will respect that. it means ur have engaged in an honest living where u responsible and accountable in ur duties, are able to meet customers needs, contribute to the economy and pay ur taxes. if u can manage a beer parlour, who says u can't manage a bigger business, local or multinational?
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by hollandis(f): 12:09pm On Sep 16, 2011
[size=18pt]YOU ARE ALL FOOOLS FOR APPLAUDING THE MINISTER.IT IS EASIER FOR A CORPER TO BE RETAINED IN THE COMPANY HE SERVES THAN FOR A CORPER TO GET A GOOD JOB AFTER SERVICE

STUPID manliness HEADS LIKE UNA FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL angry[/size]
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by hollandis(f): 12:12pm On Sep 16, 2011
size=18pt]YOU ARE ALL FOOOLS FOR APPLAUDING THE MINISTER.IT IS EASIER FOR A CORPER TO BE RETAINED IN THE COMPANY HE SERVES THAN FOR A CORPER TO GET A GOOD JOB AFTER SERVICE

STUPIIIIID DIIIICK HEADS LIKE UNA FOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by pinkrex(m): 12:13pm On Sep 16, 2011
hollandis:

[size=18pt]YOU ARE ALL FOOOLS FOR APPLAUDING THE MINISTER.IT IS EASIER FOR A CORPER TO BE RETAINED IN THE COMPANY HE SERVES THAN FOR A CORPER TO GET A GOOD JOB AFTER SERVICE

silly manliness HEADS LIKE UNA FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL angry[/size]

That is because Government don't dictate or influence recruitment policies to private organisations.

They all have pay models and salary structures for freshers but they take advantage of the high rate of unemployment by hyping their demands for employment, hereby making it difficult or rather cumbersome to get the graduate jobs(tautology was really need to make you understand).

A a fresh graduate, you don't really need the 500k pr 200k jobs, you start on a level and get trained on the job, later you rise through the ranks by hardwork and proper application of your internship.
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by okeyxyz(m): 12:14pm On Sep 16, 2011
pinkrex:

Nice one bro, But you have so forgotten something

1. The NYSC is a service to the nation and not the private organisations.
what is the nation if not a collection of individuals and corporations.

2. most of the people posted to good private organisations is based of connections or family business hereby defeating the purpose of nysc's establishment
if something is based on connection, the solution would be to properly regulate it, not ban it.

3. Every company or private company would have a proper recruitment policy, they wont have to start freshers with 200k salary, because you are being trained on the job.
sorry, i really don't understand the point u'r trying to make here.

4. It will curb the issue of 'no experience no job' or perhaps excessive demands from freshers.
the experience u get from serving in a private organisation is good enough(probably far better and useful than u'd get from govt post)

5. It will reduce unemployment, by reducing ration of EXperience  before employment.
govt post might reduce unemployment by keeping the youth corper doing little\nothing, but a private biz will defintely reduce unemployment by engaging and challenge his creativity. so which is better?
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by hollandis(f): 12:14pm On Sep 16, 2011
@PINKREX
AND WHEN DID WE START DEPENDING ON GOVT
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by pinkrex(m): 12:16pm On Sep 16, 2011
hollandis:

size=18pt]YOU ARE ALL FOOOLS FOR APPLAUDING THE MINISTER.IT IS EASIER FOR A CORPER TO BE RETAINED IN THE COMPANY HE SERVES THAN FOR A CORPER TO GET A GOOD JOB AFTER SERVICE

STUPIIIIID DIIIICK HEADS LIKE UNA FOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Those insults are meant for your husband. And the kinda family you come from shows in your post too.

YOu have called many people fools for their inputs but you havent stated your reasons for being against them? undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

NYSC Batch C 2014 Kwara Corpers, Meet Here!!! / Corper Almost Attacked In Rivers For Being ‘Less Biafran' / A Corper Receives Chieftaincy Title In Zamfara

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.