Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,356 members, 7,850,307 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 06:05 PM

Ghanaian Boy With 419 Facebook Friends Cost Bank $2 Billion! - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Ghanaian Boy With 419 Facebook Friends Cost Bank $2 Billion! (1091 Views)

Charles Antwi Tries To Kill Mahama, Ghanaian President (Photo) / Ghanaian Navy Arrests 8 Heavily Armed Nigerian Pirates (photos) / 12-yr-old Boy With Growth Tail Hailed As god In India (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Ghanaian Boy With 419 Facebook Friends Cost Bank $2 Billion! by Relax101(m): 1:02am On Sep 16, 2011
A Ghanaian boy has found himself in the middle of a financial error that cost a Swiss bank UBS $2billion. As at this morning, the internet search portals went crazy as people tried to ascertain the identity of the person who put a dent to the financial stability of the popular Swiss bank UBS.

Although UBS has not confirmed the name of the trader, the City of London police have identified the man arrested in the alleged scheme as 31-year-old Kweku Adoboli.  As the media witch hunt for the identity of the rogue trader intensified, a Facebook search revealed initially, that Kweku has 419 friends (holy smokes! what a number), likes  MC Xander, Fela Kuti, Gwyneth Herbert,Ghana and Al Jazeera English TV. Kweku started working for UBS after studying at the University of Nottingham. He was initially employed as a communications officer from 2000 to 2001.

In a statement, his former Landlord, Phillip Octave, said:

“He was a very nice guy, very polite. He would speak to anyone. I don’t have a bad word to say about him,” Mr Octave said. “He had a girlfriend who I met once. He wasn’t the tidiest person, but he was a good tenant. His girlfriend was a nurse I think, she was a long-term girlfriend. I don’t know where he has moved on to.”

The bank said in a statement:

“UBS has discovered a loss due to unauthorised trading by a trader in its Investment bank. The matter is still being investigated, but UBS’s current estimate of the loss on the trades is in the range of $2bn.”

http://amebor.com/ghanaian-cost-bank/

(1) (Reply)

Photos Man Wed 4 Years Old Girl In New York / U.S. Air Force Admits It's Running Out Of Bombs To Drop On ISIS Targets In Syria / 2016 South African Budget Is R1.4tn Or $97bn, Biggest budget in AFRICA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.