Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,203 members, 7,818,674 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:37 PM

Buying My First Car - Car Talk (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Buying My First Car (51780 Views)

Buying My First Car, Please Share Your Experience / Advice needed on 1.5m budget for a first car owner / When Did You Buy Your First Car And How Much Was It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buying My First Car by GentlePEACE: 9:48am On Mar 16, 2023
BigBrother9ja:

How much can you get your rav 4
2009 or 2010?

3m and above
Re: Buying My First Car by iadelola77(m): 9:57am On Mar 16, 2023
Brother, I will advise you to buy Honda civic 2006-2009 for the following reasons:
Fuel efficiency
Cheap spare parts
Easy maintenance (Service)
No Honda surprise
Less security concern.
Remain blessed!

1 Like

Re: Buying My First Car by hezsquirt(m): 10:03am On Mar 16, 2023
As an experienced car dealer and an automobil lover, having used both cars u mentioned, I'll advise u go for the 06/07 honda civic.Trust me, you'll have no ball joint issues like accord.. I have used two Honda civic and I tell u that that model of Honda is very reliable.
The parts are very easy to get and they aren't as expensive as camry (big daddy's) parts.
Also it comes with an IV-TEC engine and the fuel consumption is very nice.
Not saying the 05 camry is a bad choice tho, but your budget could get u a toks standard honda civic and would only get u a regular (not grade A) standard toyota Camry.

1 Like

Re: Buying My First Car by Betnomore: 10:06am On Mar 16, 2023
Wetin be your WhatsApp number

IvarDboneless:

1.9 chekini money
Re: Buying My First Car by cleancars247: 10:52am On Mar 16, 2023
sweetkev:
I will give you my Toyota Camry (big daddy) 2003 for 1.7m. Very sound engine and very good gear selection. Chilling AC and everything working perfectly. Since it's your first car you need to enjoy your money without stress. TRUST ME

Phone no
Re: Buying My First Car by sweetkev(m): 10:55am On Mar 16, 2023
cleancars247:

Phone no
meeunderhim@gmail.com
Re: Buying My First Car by Uniquekriss(m): 10:56am On Mar 16, 2023
Ransomware:

Trust me boss man i know all too well.
Getting stranded by the road side, looking all fresh while my cheap benz was smoking and leaking oil beside me.

That was me in my 20s
Today old man like me will not buy a used car
I rather drive a brand new honda than buy a used benz
so on point, I rather drive a clan Toyota Yaris than buy an over-used Lexus

1 Like

Re: Buying My First Car by IvarDboneless: 11:27am On Mar 16, 2023
Betnomore:
Wetin be your WhatsApp number

Abeg give me your own make I send you hi or send me your email address make I send you my number for there...I no trust this platform with my personal number...thanks
Re: Buying My First Car by Betnomore: 11:28am On Mar 16, 2023
Check my signature for my number

IvarDboneless:

Abeg give me your own make I send you hi or send me your email address make I send you my number for there...I no trust this platform with my personal number...thanks
Re: Buying My First Car by Anonymoususher: 11:47am On Mar 16, 2023
That amount now cannot get you a reasonable Toyota corolla or Camry.

According to Nigeria inflation it is too small.

It's your first car and I will never advise you to buy Nigerian used cos it will seem like you wasted money considering how you painstakingly saved for it.

Continue saving and make sure you begin with a correct Tokunbo. Go for Nigeria used if and only if you know someone that has a sound car and wants to japa OR maybe you know a silly yahoo boy that has gone broke and needs money badly, he can sell a car worth 5mil for that 1.8m so hungry won't kill him.

Lastly, runaway from older versions of Honda cars except you have power to be fixing tire everyday.

Good luck

2 Likes

Re: Buying My First Car by Anonymoususher: 11:56am On Mar 16, 2023
acorntree:

You can say this for Auto not manual. Mastering how and when to change gear in manual take time to learn. An slowpoke can easily drive auto not manual

Wetin u dey use manual do for this time and season when driver less cars are fast rising.

Una just like suffer for this part of the world

1 Like

Re: Buying My First Car by acorntree(m): 12:16pm On Mar 16, 2023
Anonymoususher:

Wetin u dey use manual do for this time and season when driver less cars are fast rising.

Una just like suffer for this part of the world
DO YOU HAVE A CAR?
Re: Buying My First Car by Lucas4903: 12:40pm On Mar 16, 2023
Icon4s:
In Nigeria of today, N1.8 million can only get you a Naija used car that will make you know all the mechanics in your area. You will lose your sleep, peace of mind and appetite. All your salary will continue to go into repairs of the vehicle.

Naija is a messed up country else I would have asked you to invest the money somewhere for now, but which investment is viable in Nigeria of today?

Motor no be wetin person dey save 5k per month to buy. In Nigeria of today, for you to buy a vehicle that will make sense, you need nothing less than N4m for sedan and N6m for SUV.

Sorry if my post breaks your heart but that is just the reality.

All the best.

I don’t think you should comment in the first place. How does him buying a car translate to Naija been a messed up place🤷. It’s his choice to buy a car and he saved up for it. If you think he can’t afford any car for now just say it and leave your frustrations out of it.

1 Like

Re: Buying My First Car by DesireV: 2:42pm On Mar 16, 2023
GentlePEACE:

Stop generalising like that when you are not in car business.... See, there are alot of good cars selling cheap because the owner needs money or they are relocating, some sell to upgrade, not all cars are bad as u speculated.... No matter the sweet mouth, take your mechanic along, let him inspect or ask a rewirer to scan it. i still bought a distress sale (Honda City) this month.
Seems you have comprehension challenge. You may want to read the post again, slowly this time around
Re: Buying My First Car by yusufmurry: 3:50pm On Mar 16, 2023
Germanhunter:
First I started with daily 5k …my projection was by mid this year I could get a Benz, but omo saving money is extra HARD in Naija.
Lorokan sha (in one word), I have saved up 1.8 million so far and I THINK i will like to get a car now
Yes, it’s not much to get my dream car but I feel it’s definitely ok to get started ..I am flexible with my plan…keep upgrading my cars when I get the chance and before I know it, I may get my BENZ…it’s hard I know but I can do it and I am sure of it……

A Nigerian girl read this part will be like, I go catch this boy saving 5k daily to mess him up with fake love

1 Like

Re: Buying My First Car by Elxandre(m): 3:50pm On Mar 16, 2023
Germanhunter:
Continued…….
I will be needing (please) the help of the gurus here to choose the best ride for that price (1.8m) at most ….

My options
A clean Toyota Camry (2004 ——)
A clean Honda civic (2006 ——-)
And the cleanest and best cars available fr my price range
(By clean I mean body , interior ,gear and engine)

I have been a nairalander for a couple of years and I know that if there is a place I can get help or get scammed then it’s here on nairaland but then so also anywhere else has its + / -
Civic 2006-2011.
Best choice if you want something modern looking while being rock solid reliable.

1 Like

Re: Buying My First Car by Stakekay1(m): 4:31pm On Mar 16, 2023
Elxandre:

Civic 2006-2011.
Best choice if you want something modern looking while being rock solid reliable.
Can this model of car travel long distance across the country most expecially the bad roads? I had wanted to buy this car I was discouraged by the dealer that, it is not strong and body of the car wear out quick.
Re: Buying My First Car by sethzy4u(m): 5:30pm On Mar 16, 2023
Bro with that budget of yours I'll advise you go for a neatly used 1999 mercedes C230 Kompressor full option..
Believe me It is a very safe and reliable car. Comfortable, excellent performance and a beast on the road that gives you full control and power. Nothing concern you and mechanics at all..
Forget all this Toyota's and Honda's.. My 2 cents💪
Re: Buying My First Car by BestTrades: 5:53pm On Mar 16, 2023

Ensure you run a detailed vehicle history report to make an informed decision

For comprehensive vehicle history report .

https://verifyithq.com/services/vehicle-history-reports/

Do a Custom Duty Verification

For Custom Duty Verification ..
https://verifyithq.com/services/customs-duty-verification/

Lost/Stolen Customs Documents

For Retrieval Of Lost Custom Duty

https://verifyithq.com/lost-customs-papers/

Re: Buying My First Car by Umueme: 5:56pm On Mar 16, 2023
Wealthoptulent:

Bmw, if u gat balls. I waded in 2015 till date... still in the game.
4 bmw , i tried 3 Toyota tho, but las las went back to my devil BMW 😈.

Just make sure u get the toks, I don't like N-engines, L6 are the best.

Ur BUDGET small oo

Aww! See this oga o, when person wan dey ok in Nigeria?
Op u can try it jare, I can be helping u to source the parts from here, Bmw, benz , mini & volkswagen is very useless [I mean count of cars 1 - 10 they all these cars here.

2022 X6 is my Dream car, n na 9ja I wan use am... na tax go kill one here with such Ride.
9ja no dey use car size park grin cheesy...

You see that x6? I love that car. After driving x5, I decided it's x6 or nothing
Re: Buying My First Car by Elxandre(m): 6:19pm On Mar 16, 2023
Stakekay1:
Can this model of car travel long distance across the country most expecially the bad roads? I had wanted to buy this car I was discouraged by the dealer that, it is not strong and body of the car wear out quick.
I do travel from Oyo to Ondo State.
Been to Ogun, Ekiti, Lagos. So I've been like everywhere in the southwest with it and it still looks solid after a year.
I see nothing wrong with it sha but maybe the dealer is right who knows.

1 Like

Re: Buying My First Car by Elxandre(m): 6:29pm On Mar 16, 2023
realogk:

I might be the only person who didn't bash his car after learning. I dont know why or how.... no single scratch..
You probably have perfect vision or play games alot
Re: Buying My First Car by IMMUNO1(m): 6:45pm On Mar 16, 2023
It is an awesome car for a starter. But there are complaints about the 2007 model.

BigBrother9ja:

Good.

What do you think of Toyota rav 4, naija used?

1 Like

Re: Buying My First Car by row2ray(m): 6:58pm On Mar 16, 2023
Germanhunter:
Hello nairalanders,
It’s with great pleasure that I start this thread about purchasing my first car.
Mid last year, I determined I was going to buy a car and started saving rigorously to try get one…trust me it has been a grand journey …suddenly there was no more henessy, Martel kept staring every night out but I was always like ‘baba chill,I Dey save’… I don’t earn much but I am so tired of jumping buses and Okada and most painfully paying big money to e-hailing………………

OP buying your first car, I advise you to go with something common, the reason being that a car that is common means it has mechanics and parts easily available. Personally I love Honda cars, but as a newbie go with Toyota the ball joint issues in Honda can be challenging and takes a while to see the minute signs it shows. Toyotas don't have this issue as commonly. Also toyotas have great engines in terms of durability. I'm not thrilled at there performance interms of output, how ever it is decent. Things I advise you to check is the undercarriage, and suspension, scanners miss this. Also look at steering clearance, it's a tell tale sign of week tie rods or bushings. Best of luck as you go

1 Like

Re: Buying My First Car by Elxandre(m): 7:29pm On Mar 16, 2023
kodab:
You dey save 5k per day till e reach 1.8 mil

Anyway as mechanic concerns don't go and buy Benz ooo because maintenance alone go dey chop 10% of ur hard earned money,so my advice for u is to buy Toyota corolla 2007 model
The car get economic very well
1. Low consumer of fuel at the rate of 50litre per 150km
2.spare part full every mechanics market and e cheap
3.maintenance money na 2% of ur hard earn money
Full tank for Lagos to Ibadan shocked😂
How's that good consumption?
Re: Buying My First Car by Anonymoususher: 9:31pm On Mar 16, 2023
acorntree:
DO YOU HAVE A CAR?

Yes, y do u ask?
Re: Buying My First Car by larrypourl(m): 10:28am On Mar 17, 2023
OP have you picked up your car, and how's it like?
Re: Buying My First Car by realogk: 2:18pm On Mar 17, 2023
Elxandre:

You probably have perfect vision or play games alot

Both! grin
Re: Buying My First Car by Rutimillz(m): 3:29pm On Mar 17, 2023
Germanhunter:
So please ..Help me get my wish and I will reciprocate with 2k each for any tangible help I get here ..Kosowo ni naija(no money in Nigeria) but there will always be a way for Gods people ..so please you can help with advice and flags to look out for y (both Green and Red)..

I appreciate you all
. Buy Toyota product, it’s better

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Cartalk Lounge. (derailers Paradise) / See The Real Meaning Of The Logo Of Mercedes Benz! / Innoson Backs The #ENDSARS Protest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.