Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,015 members, 7,814,466 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:20 PM

Your Background Can Determine How Far You Go In Life - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Your Background Can Determine How Far You Go In Life (2578 Views)

Share Your Childhood Photos. Let’s Appreciate How Far We’ve Come. 2023! / No Matter How Far You Have Gone The Wrong Path, You Can Always Turn Around / My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Background Can Determine How Far You Go In Life by Honeydenz(f): 3:38pm On Mar 15, 2023
Thinking aloud all through last night, I have thought very deeply till 1am this morning on how a particular pattern Of wealth and affluence drives In a family and society expecially in this part of the world.

Studying the life of rich and influential individuals in the society, most of them seem to come from an already established or comfortable home, this worries me since I and my siblings aren't really from a well-to-do home or a rich background.
For example,
Seyi tinubu is already successful and famous and doing well, all thanks to his father Bola tinubu and understandably, tinubu himself also had a rich parent and studied in the US and With the western exposure they come back home and do great things, Obaseki of Edo state, Femi otedola's father was a governor of Lagos state, I can go on and on.
Your background and the environment you grew up in either impacts your life positively, or negatively, and could determine your future. But only if you allow it to. From the experiences of many, a humble upbringing, absence of one parent or lack of education does not mean that your future is doomed.

What's your opinion? Please no sentiments, religious or emotional comments pls, only reasonable argument is welcome.
would really appreciate if this can get to the front page for more logical explanations.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Your Background Can Determine How Far You Go In Life by Xxxxtentacion2: 3:41pm On Mar 15, 2023
Majority of people from poor homes don't end up doing well those who do are only few and they are outliers or exceptions...
Check the stats ...
You only use money to make more money

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Your Background Can Determine How Far You Go In Life by JOACHINpedro: 3:47pm On Mar 15, 2023
Na why man gat forget about offspring if him no get shish cus na that offspring go still despise you for bringing them here to suffer

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Your Background Can Determine How Far You Go In Life by woginid967: 3:57pm On Mar 15, 2023
Honeydenz:
Thinking aloud all through last night, I have thought very deeply till 1am this morning on how a particular pattern Of wealth and affluence drives In a family and society expecially in this part of the world.

Studying the life of rich and influential individuals in the society, most of them seem to come from an already established or comfortable home, this worries me since I and my siblings aren't really from a well-to-do home or a rich background.
For example,
Seyi tinubu is already successful and famous and doing well, all thanks to his father Bola tinubu and understandably, tinubu himself also had a rich parent and studied in the US and With the western exposure they come back home and do great things, Obaseki of Edo state, Femi otedola's father was a governor of Lagos state, I can go on and on.
Your background and the environment you grew up in either impacts your life positively, or negatively, and could determine your future. But only if you allow it to. From the experiences of many, a humble upbringing, absence of one parent or lack of education does not mean that your future is doomed.

What's your opinion? Please no sentiments, religious or emotional comments pls, only reasonable argument is welcome.
would really appreciate if this can get to the front page for more logical explanations.

You can make money from NOTHING.... I can tell you many ways i have made money from nothing.... So pls practically your family background has nothing to do with how great you will become. Ask obama who was in kenya and years later became USA president....

See children of the privileged like tinubu, can only use their fathers name.... But those of us from poor or average family generations are the ones breaking through now in tech, social media, etc.

No diabolism, no shortcuts, no mago mago.

So that you dont think I'm marketing anything or anyone, let me tell you how i made money as little as 570k, i was broke and hungry for days, family couldnt help, I am good at making friends and acquaintances, so my WhatsApp status at that time was about 746 views. At that time, i have been on hinger strike for 4 days, drinking water and visiting people hoping they'll give me food... Even bricklayer job was not available yet I'm a graduate, I sent one message to all the 700+ people that I need 500 to 1k for urgent help because i have not eaten and i was sick and need medical checkup and also I will refund the next month, well not all of them replied, some blocked me but i got 570k that week, with some promising foodstuff and others telling me not to refund. I used 100k to take care of myself for two months. Invested the rest in crypto and bale of clothes from Onitsha, which i started selling online ad delivering by myself. To cut this story short, i posted on my status thanking everyone and telling them what I did with the money, guess what, more started giving till i got 970k over the following 2weeks.... by the 4th month, i put my profit plus the donations together and bought a car for uber making 460k monthly, and the rest is history, under 7 months from zero to business man. It is my own story.

See, you cant be broke poor and hostile to friends.... Thats death. If you dont have money, at least be friendly, and with little wise idea you condition will change.

If you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, you'll be successful, period

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Your Background Can Determine How Far You Go In Life by sisisioge: 4:12pm On Mar 15, 2023
woginid967:

You can make money from NOTHING.... I can tell you many ways i have made money from nothing.... So pls practically your family background has nothing to do with how great you will become. Ask obama who was in kenya and years later became USA president....

See children of the privileged like tinubu, can only use their fathers name.... But those of us from poor or average family generations are the ones breaking through now in tech, social media, etc.

So that you dont think I'm marketing anything or anyone, let me tell you how i made money as little as 570k, i was broke and hungry for days, family couldnt help, I am good at making friends and acquaintances, so my WhatsApp status at that time was about 746 views. At that time, i have been on hinger strike for 4 days, drinking water and visiting people hoping they'll give me food... Even bricklayer job was not available yet I'm a graduate, I sent one message to all the 700+ people that I need 500 to 1k for urgent help because i have not eaten and i was sick and need medical checkup and also I will refund the next month, well not all of them replied, some blocked me but i got 570k that week, with some promising foodstuff and others telling me not to refund. I used 100k to take care of myself for two months. Invested the rest in crypto and bale of clothes from Onitsha, which i started selling online ad delivering by myself. To cut this story short, i posted on my status thanking everyone and telling them what I did with the money, guess what, more started giving till i got 970k over the following 2weeks.... by the 4th month, i put my profit plus the donations together and bought a car for uber making 460k monthly, and the rest is history, under 7 months from zero to business man. It is my own story.

See, you cant be broke poor and hostile to friends.... Thats death. If you dont have money, at least be friendly, and with little wise idea you condition will change.

If you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, you'll be successful, period

You are one of the lucky ones. And yes, there are some exceptions to the phenomenon who show a lot of zeal and resilience to break out of the chain. I totally agree with the OP.

7 Likes

Re: Your Background Can Determine How Far You Go In Life by Nobody: 4:42pm On Mar 15, 2023
I think that's just the mentality that most of us black people have.

We are made to believe that if you're from a poor background, the possibilities of you to get out of that poverty are slim, our families are mostly the main reason why we are made to believe that most of the time it's only kids from rich families who get successful in life.

If you go and stay in a white community for a while, you'll see the major difference in the way they raise their children. They instill confidence in their children and make them believe in themselves from a very young age, they get them school holidays jobs just so they could get exposed into the working industry from a very young age, and in that way, by the time they finish University, they'd already be having plenty working experience... And those holidays jobs alone can motivate a child to do better in life.

They teach their kids to be free thinkers and be vocal about what they want in life, but when you try to be vocal as a young black child, you'll either be labeled as disrespectful or arrogant.

When it comes to black families, they think that taking a child to school and pressuring him or her to get straight As alone will result in the child being successful, which is not always the case. Next thing when things don't go well for the child they start blaming him or her.

Even the teaching systems between black and multiracial or white schools can differ, I was fortunate enough to attend both the schools.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Your Background Can Determine How Far You Go In Life by woginid967: 5:16pm On Mar 15, 2023
sisisioge:

You are one of the lucky ones. And yes, there are some exceptions to the phenomenon who show a lot of zeal and resilience to break out of the chain. I totally agree with the OP.

Not luck. Everyone has the opportunities around them, laziness, complaining and lack of faith is why they don't see it.
Re: Your Background Can Determine How Far You Go In Life by myhousestats: 5:26pm On Mar 15, 2023
Honeydenz:

It's definitely true.

When it comes to the family making conditions dor successful children there are common things the parents do.

The main traits are the parent(s) being highly educated and in high-paying jobs. The parents have traditional family roles, with mom looking after the house and kids, and dad focused on making money. The kids in these families have strict parents that they look up to, obey, and respect greatly. Another trait that is linked to these families is experiencing hardship for many years followed by good economic conditions.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Your Background Can Determine How Far You Go In Life by sisisioge: 5:57pm On Mar 15, 2023
woginid967:

Not luck. Everyone has the opportunities around them, laziness, complaining and lack of faith is why they don't see it.

Awww....go tell that to the Alimanjiri boys who never were taught beyond eating a square meal. The poor children were left to cater for themselves as soon as they learnt to walk! You really need to spend a few hours with them to understand their doomed struggle. The last time I was at Jigawa, I went out to buy akara and couldn't eat at all. Those almanjiri toddlers were huddled against one another in the early morning cold hoping for food. My heart had not been that broken in a long long time! By the way, they were really just toddlers o. These kids mostly grow up to be farm hands, "dandoko", street shoe makers, bokoaram, etc

Or go tell that to the children in the innermost core of villages where they never learnt beyond substitent farming. They mostly grow to inherit whatever is left and pass same on to their children. Otherwise, yours and my village will be empty by now....

Or even enter makoko abi na maroko inside Lagos slum where the children were doomed from birth. One family with 8 children they can not afford to give basic physiological needs let alone formal or informal education towards survival! They are the ones that eventually replace the agberos, touts, blue collar lowly workers, your gate keepers and household staff, etc. Their birth somehow force them into that strata forever.

By the way, I used to work at big events and I've seen first hand how the rich connect themselves. Do not be deceived just because you made it out of the chain, besides, you even still had it good. At least, you were exposed to a formal or informal education to aid your survival, a lot of others werent that lucky.

21 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Your Background Can Determine How Far You Go In Life by crystalmoon(m): 6:13pm On Mar 15, 2023
Honeydenz:

For example,

Re: Your Background Can Determine How Far You Go In Life by woginid967: 6:54pm On Mar 15, 2023
sisisioge:

Awww....go tell that to the Alimanjiri boys who never were taught beyond eating a square meal. The poor children were left to cater for themselves as soon as they learnt to walk! You really need to spend a few hours with them to understand their doomed struggle. The last time I was at Jigawa, I went out to buy akara and couldn't eat at all. Those almanjiri toddlers were huddled against one another in the early morning cold hoping for food. My heart had not been that broken in a long long time! By the way, they were really just toddlers o. These kids mostly grow up to be farm hands, "dandoko", street shoe makers, bokoaram, etc

Or go tell that to the children in the innermost core of villages where they never learnt beyond substitent farming. They mostly grow to inherit whatever is left and pass same on to their children. Otherwise, yours and my village will be empty by now....

Or even enter makoko abi na maroko inside Lagos slum where the children were doomed from birth. One family with 8 children they can not afford to give basic physiological needs let alone formal or informal education towards survival! They are the ones that eventually replace the agberos, touts, blue collar lowly workers, your gate keepers and household staff, etc. Their birth somehow force them into that strata forever.

By the way, I used to work at big events and I've seen first hand how the rich connect themselves. Do not be deceived just because you made it out of the chain, besides, you even still had it good. At least, you were exposed to a formal or informal education to aid your survival, a lot of others werent that lucky.

As if our president was not from them.

See, God lifts men. Methods differ but NEVER forget, GOD lifts men.

God will be stupiiiid to let any human exist whose case is totally hopeless.

Those you mentioned get offered chances to be amputated and take up professional begging and they become rich. I have met several and discussed with them at sabo. Some join herdsmen or BH..... Either way money is made.

No one, i repeat..... No one is hopeless in this universe.
Re: Your Background Can Determine How Far You Go In Life by Klass99(f): 6:59pm On Mar 15, 2023

2 Likes

Re: Your Background Can Determine How Far You Go In Life by Klass99(f): 7:26pm On Mar 15, 2023

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Your Background Can Determine How Far You Go In Life by Honeydenz(f): 9:31pm On Mar 15, 2023
Klass99:
@ Honeydenz, your original post is true and not far from reality. Most of what you said is one of the reasons I advocate for quality over quantity, when it comes to starting a family.

The fewer the better, quality over quantity, are recipes for success when it comes to responsible parenting and helping your offspring succeed in life. There is no gain or benefit in having many children you cannot cater for, only pain and suffer head awaits all parties involved.

Even if you are stinkingly rich, quality over quantity is still a good policy to live by as you birth children. Don't proceed to birth a football team or half the team because you have the means, this is one way we end up with sadistic deviants. Because someone refused to stop after their 3rd or 4th child, the 5th, 6th or 7th child turns out to be a real nightmare to a community at large and not only the parents.
I agree with you
Even the rich family I talked about, looking at them, they usually don't have more than 3 kids, it's the usual one, two or at most three. But poor men, u can find one man with 13 kids

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Your Background Can Determine How Far You Go In Life by Honeydenz(f): 9:44pm On Mar 15, 2023
There re kids nature just favour from birth, pray nature favours your children, as it is now, it's left for each and everyone of us to sit and think critically on how to make our children privileged from birth, if you believe it, you can achieve it

1 Like

Re: Your Background Can Determine How Far You Go In Life by Klass99(f): 10:06pm On Mar 15, 2023

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Your Background Can Determine How Far You Go In Life by tosinhtml: 10:19pm On Mar 15, 2023
Honeydenz:

Sister, your thoughts are very valid, I will tell you a little story about a girl I knew from 10 years ago from IT school.

For the purpose of this comment, let's call her "Kate", maybe she might even read this online one day. So Kate was in my class & she was among the 2 most brilliant persons. Usually in engineering schools, women are excellent with the theoretical aspect and can write a full book of technical info & do well in exams, but not that great with practicals but "Kate" was different. Kate was exceptional in both theory & practical, she was also very pretty too but she never let it get to her head. She was focus & I remember we did a project on Oracle & MS SQL, the code she wrote was like someone who had already been working in the industry, she even did the presentation & omo it was mad. From that point we knew this girl would be a genius.

Guess what? some months into the programme she came to tell us that her Dad can no longer pay for her tuition due to family separation & she had to drop out, that's how this brilliant girl dropped out & went to Ogun State University. The whole zeal just died, after battling with University strikes and missing exam school scripts, she graduated and ended up being an event planner in Ogun State. I used to see her on Facebook & she doesn't look like someone that is doing so well.

This is someone who should be in Google or Amazon by now with such level of talent at that young age, that is how her life was re-directed because of lack of funds.

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Your Background Can Determine How Far You Go In Life by Anunakeeh: 10:22pm On Mar 15, 2023
Absolute Truth.
Re: Your Background Can Determine How Far You Go In Life by Anunakeeh: 10:33pm On Mar 15, 2023
woginid967:

Omo so you sent messages to over 500 people begging them Chaiii.

This is the reason why most successful people doesn't help in Nigeria. I'm Imagining the kind of Shame and Humiliation you would have gone through. I'm sure some people will still use that eyes of beggi beggi of 1k to look you even after you become a Millionaire. But who Cares or give a Fvck so far you are okay now?😂

Nigeria is HELL on Earth.

This is the reason why i can never get impressed with most successful people in Nigeria because i perfectly know what most of them went through before they attain such status. I don't even blink at Nigeria's wealthy/rich people twice.

It is Well ooo.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Your Background Can Determine How Far You Go In Life by woginid967: 10:42pm On Mar 15, 2023
Anunakeeh:

Omo so you sent messages to over 500 people begging them Chaiii.

This is the reason why most successful people doesn't help in Nigeria. I'm Imagining the kind of Shame and Humiliation you would have gone through. I'm sure some people will still use that eyes of beggi beggi of 1k to look you even after you become a Millionaire. But who Cares or give a Fvck so far you are okay now?😂

Nigeria is HELL on Earth.

This is the reason why i can never get impressed with most successful people in Nigeria because i perfectly know what most of them went through before they attain such status. I don't even blink at Nigeria's wealthy/rich people twice.

It is Well ooo.

One time shame for generational shift is worth it. None of my kids will ever have to beg again.

If you're on my contact list as an acclaimed friend, you must be useful either financially or network or spiritually, else that friendship is purposeless.
Re: Your Background Can Determine How Far You Go In Life by DontBullshitMe: 11:13pm On Mar 15, 2023
Geography is destiny.

3 Likes

Re: Your Background Can Determine How Far You Go In Life by emmaodet: 3:27am On Mar 16, 2023
myhousestats:

It's definitely true.

When it comes to the family making conditions dor successful children there are common things the parents do.

The main traits are the parent(s) being highly educated and in high-paying jobs. The parents have traditional family roles, with mom looking after the house and kids, and dad focused on making money. The kids in these families have strict parents that they look up to, obey, and respect greatly. Another trait that is linked to these families is experiencing hardship for many years followed by good economic conditions.

I concur 100%
Re: Your Background Can Determine How Far You Go In Life by emmaodet: 3:32am On Mar 16, 2023
sisisioge:

You are 100% right.
I do say if Mark Zuckerberg Facebook owner was born in iperu or ilisan or ikenne in Ogun state hawking oranges for grandma, he would never have become the owner of Facebook.
Never

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Your Background Can Determine How Far You Go In Life by emmaodet: 3:44am On Mar 16, 2023
Klass99:
@ Honeydenz, your original post is true and not far from reality. Most of what you said is one of the reasons I advocate for quality over quantity, when it comes to starting a family.

The fewer the better, quality over quantity, are recipes for success when it comes to responsible parenting and helping your offspring succeed in life. There is no gain or benefit in having many children you cannot cater for, only pain and suffer head awaits all parties involved.

Even if you are stinkingly rich, quality over quantity is still a good policy to live by as you birth children. Don't proceed to birth a football team or half the team because you have the means, this is one way we end up with sadistic deviants in society. Because someone refused to stop after their 3rd child, the 4th, 5th or 6th child turns out to be a real nightmare to a community at large and not only the parents.

We really need to curb this population menace.
Our population is ballooning too much and I will blame most father's from the 60's to 90's for this.
I have many family members to sight as an example but will choose one now.
He is a pastor in one of the olden days generation churches earning 20k in the remote church he was posted. Wife not working because it is not allowed for pastor's wife.
Gave birth to a whole 3 children they couldn't take care of. Why will a grown man with brains do that for God sake?
My mother took the first born to nurture since they can't and another family member took the second one.
So we literally trained the first child her secondary school and now she is doing freedom as auxiliary nurse and about to go nursing school.
Lost my mum years back and the furthering of this child as been on my neck.
Literally, the father doesn't know how his child feeds, pay school fees, admission etc yet will call himself father and will want to be addressed as the bride's father on wedding day.
A child you virtually have no impact on

Is it a must to give birth in the first place? If you can't train the child?
It is really really annoying

7 Likes

Re: Your Background Can Determine How Far You Go In Life by SeaTrade(m): 5:21am On Mar 16, 2023
Very true at OP but not as black and white as you put it.
I'd say there's a certain level you can get to as someone from nothing,not that you won't succeed at all.
You can succeed from the streets but a very huge glass ceiling awaits you,how you handle it and your level of vision makes all the difference nonetheless.

3 Likes

Re: Your Background Can Determine How Far You Go In Life by shegzhkn: 6:32am On Mar 16, 2023
Oh yeah, example Alexandr Wang (co-founder of Scale AI).
Re: Your Background Can Determine How Far You Go In Life by xavuv: 7:58am On Mar 16, 2023
woginid967:

I used 100k to take care of myself for two months. Invested the rest in crypto and

Cypto is God sent
Re: Your Background Can Determine How Far You Go In Life by Raalsalghul: 9:30am On Mar 16, 2023
Honeydenz:

A lot of people underestimate the importance of wealthy/right platforms and parents for personal success.

Every time I see success stories of individuals out there, the first thing I check is their background and 4 times out of 5 they were born in solid foundations and leveraged it.

The Bill Gates, Elon Musks, Bezos, Fani-Kayodes, Otedolas of this world all took advantage of the background they were born in: rich, exposed and professional parents who gave them solid education, the right networks, nutritious meals, enlightening environments for their future success. It's like playing a match with life and you're leading 2 - 0 already.

But if na trenches dem born you, na life long struggle where you handicapped in a match with life losing 3 - 0.

And at the bold, I'm still on the journey and while I've seen relative success, I don't think I'm still there yet. It's why I laugh when I see many young men my age with half my net worth rushing to get married and have kids.

Sometimes, I think something is wrong with me for not towing that path, But deep down I know it's the fear of generational poverty.

My parents foolish no mean I go foolish self.

I remember making the above post sometime ago.

Glad more people are beginning to realise it's true.

Hopefully, you learn from your parents mistake and chart a different path.

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Your Background Can Determine How Far You Go In Life by shantti(m): 10:12am On Mar 16, 2023
Being born in Nigeria puts you in a disadvantageous situation. Nigeria is a dream killer. There are many times I've wished I wasn't born

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Your Background Can Determine How Far You Go In Life by Tony142: 10:22am On Mar 16, 2023
Honeydenz:

For example,

You are 100% correct baby girl.

In this life there are only 5 ways through which you can get rich and they are

1. Parents.
2. Country
3. Skill (higher paying skill)
4. Business (not job)
5. Luck (e.g winning the lottery).

Let me explaine then one after the other

1. Parents: Who your parents are will determine what you will be, for example a lion will give birth to a lion and a dog will give birth to a dog also if your parents are rich (Lion) then you are likely to be rich too (Lion), Why? Because lion can only give birth to lion, also if your parents are poor (dog) then you are likely to be poor too (dog), Why? Because a dog can only give birth to a dog, so the family you come from can determine if you will be rich or not. People like DJ Copy and Davido are from rich home and that was what helped them.

2. Country: The country you come from will determine if life will be easy or hard for you, in a develop country like American they care for their citizens, there are good hospitals, good schools, good road and stable economy and this things make life more easy for their citizens, but in a useless country like nigeria were if you are not corrupt they see you as a novice who is not smart, politicians keep looting money that is met for the masses, poor health care, poor education system (na every day ASUU dey go on strike). Lack of job opportunity, naira scarsity are the outcomes, if you plant a seed in a good soil (e.g American) they seed will grow up and produce good food, but if you plant a seed in a desert (e.g nigeria) that seed will not grow well and it will produce very little food, Now, just like the way a good soil will determine if a seed will grow well or not, so also the country you are born into will determine if life will be easy or hard for you.

I would have explain the remaining ones but I am tired to type.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Your Background Can Determine How Far You Go In Life by Klass99(f): 11:03am On Mar 16, 2023

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Your Background Can Determine How Far You Go In Life by JUMO95: 11:11am On Mar 16, 2023
nive write

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Died And Living Far From Home / The Legacy Of Mother Theresa; 20 Facts About This Great Woman. / 21 Crimes You Can Get Beaten For In A Nigerian Home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.