Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:40 AM

No Oro Festival In Lagos On Saturday, Electoral Process Not Threatened – Police - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No Oro Festival In Lagos On Saturday, Electoral Process Not Threatened – Police (9924 Views)

Why Is There No Oro Festival This Year? / Rhodes-Vivour Reacts To Alleged Plot To Intimidate Voters With Oro Festival / 2023: Tinubu Tackles Obi, Says ‘party Not Threatened By Fake Statistics, Jabs’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Oro Festival In Lagos On Saturday, Electoral Process Not Threatened – Police by press9jatv: 1:46am On Mar 18, 2023
The police have assured voters in Lagos State say there won’t be Oro festivities in the state on Saturday, maintaining that there is no threat to the governorship and state assembly elections billed for that day.

Reports on social media claimed that the Oro festival in some parts of the state will take place on Saturday – on the same day as the elections. The development triggered reactions from Nigerians most of whom lamented the situation.

But speaking on Channels Television’s election show The 2023 Verdict on Friday, the Force Public Relations Officer, Muyiwa Adejobi, said it is only one part of the state that conducted Oro which he confirmed ended on Friday.

“When the news went viral that there will be Oro between Wednesday and Thursday, the major city that is concerned is Ikate land where we have Kabiyesi Oba Elegushi and I personally put a call to Kayesi to find out what is the situation.

“I am a Yoruba man, and I know what it is when they say they will have Oro cult or Oro festival. I know definitely many people will not be allowed to move particularly women and he clarified and said the Oro festival will end today (Friday). So, this means it’s not a threat to the electoral process in any way because the election is tomorrow (Saturday).

“I think if the Oro is over today, that settles it. So, according to the information I have from Lagos State, the Oro ends today Friday and the election is tomorrow. So, I don’t think it is a threat to the electoral process in any way,
” Adejobi said.

He said he is not aware that there are other communities in the state planning on doing the Oro festival on election day and as such, there is nothing to worry about. He, however, said that if some people insist on going on with such activity on election day, the police will also deal with the situation.

Orò Festival is an event celebrated by towns and settlements of Yoruba origin. It is an annual traditional ceremony that is patriarchal in nature, as it is only celebrated by male descendants who are paternal natives of the specific locations where the event is taking place.

During the festival, females and non-natives stay indoors as oral history has it that Orò must not be seen by women and non-participating people.

https://channelstv.com/2023/03/17/no-oro-festival-in-lagos-on-saturday-electoral-process-not-threatened-police/

1 Like

Re: No Oro Festival In Lagos On Saturday, Electoral Process Not Threatened – Police by press9jatv: 1:47am On Mar 18, 2023
Good one from Nigeria Police force

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Oro Festival In Lagos On Saturday, Electoral Process Not Threatened – Police by press9jatv: 1:51am On Mar 18, 2023
All of them were convicted!

48 Likes 4 Shares

Re: No Oro Festival In Lagos On Saturday, Electoral Process Not Threatened – Police by mymadam(m): 1:54am On Mar 18, 2023
press9jatv:
Good one from Nigeria Police force

The Oro festival was NEVER planned for election day anyway. The announcement specifically stated that it was gonna take place between 11.30/Midnight and 5.30 the next morning... each day. The last time I checked, Nigerian General Elections only take place during the day, right? 😏

12 Likes

Re: No Oro Festival In Lagos On Saturday, Electoral Process Not Threatened – Police by GreyLaw(m): 2:36am On Mar 18, 2023
A country like Nigeria is still in darkness of hell. Imagine a useless festival that breaches people statutory right of freedom of movement. These kinds of festivals should be banned everywhere in Nigeria. You can do such festivals in your house and go nakes, but no festival should be above the constitution of Nigeria.

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: No Oro Festival In Lagos On Saturday, Electoral Process Not Threatened – Police by BlackAdams007: 3:13am On Mar 18, 2023
🥱 lack of security, dump country.

4 Likes

Re: No Oro Festival In Lagos On Saturday, Electoral Process Not Threatened – Police by Leboska(m): 3:36am On Mar 18, 2023
If una like make una put am, me & my guys don swear say we must vote, na that oluomu wahala we dey find come.

19 Likes

Re: No Oro Festival In Lagos On Saturday, Electoral Process Not Threatened – Police by hisgrace090: 3:55am On Mar 18, 2023
Declaring oro festival on election day is the hight of fearfulness.

3 Likes

Re: No Oro Festival In Lagos On Saturday, Electoral Process Not Threatened – Police by FairlyUSEDpussy: 5:37am On Mar 18, 2023
Dey play........

Nah una wan dey follow dictate how we go practice our culture and what time/day to fix it abi??

Nah......the ones wey go like trespass for ikorodu Syd......I dey pity pass

Same see finish mc oluomo was avoiding Sha.....

2 Likes

Re: No Oro Festival In Lagos On Saturday, Electoral Process Not Threatened – Police by press9jatv: 5:38am On Mar 18, 2023
Lagos, Good morning.
If you have any information, results or reports, any useful communication, please reach out to us on these numbers..#obidients

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Oro Festival In Lagos On Saturday, Electoral Process Not Threatened – Police by OmotolaBoy(m): 5:41am On Mar 18, 2023
Good One
Re: No Oro Festival In Lagos On Saturday, Electoral Process Not Threatened – Police by Tunedey0001(m): 6:33am On Mar 18, 2023
press9jatv:

Have been noticing your comment and way of reason that you love sharing fake news ❌ alot and live on propaganda.

In as much I know you're not from any SW state but as a resident in Lagos you've the right to support/choose your candidate. Pls do that with only fact base news and not fake news.

Don't affect our politics here in SW with your fake news ❌.
It kills.

JANDOR WILL WIN
GRV WILL WIN
SANWO WILL WIN

But only one person will win
And GOOD LUCK TO THE BEST AMONG THEM.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No Oro Festival In Lagos On Saturday, Electoral Process Not Threatened – Police by alcuin(m): 6:35am On Mar 18, 2023
GreyLaw:
A country like Nigeria is still in darkness of hell. Imagine a useless festival that breaches people statutory right of freedom of movement. These kinds of festivals should be banned everywhere in Nigeria. You can do such festivals in your house and go nakes, but no festival should be above the constitution of Nigeria.

Very stupid comment.

Learn to respect culture.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: No Oro Festival In Lagos On Saturday, Electoral Process Not Threatened – Police by press9jatv: 6:49am On Mar 18, 2023
Tunedey0001:

Have been noticing your comment and way of reason that you love sharing fake news ❌ alot and live on propaganda.

In as much I know you're not from any SW state but as a resident in Lagos you've the right to support/choose your candidate. Pls do that with only fact base news and not fake news.

Don't affect our politics here in SW with your fake news ❌.
It kills.

JANDOR WILL WIN
GRV WILL WIN
SANWO WILL WIN

But only one person will win
And GOOD LUCK TO THE BEST AMONG THEM.
As if it’s not true

2 Likes

Re: No Oro Festival In Lagos On Saturday, Electoral Process Not Threatened – Police by SmartGadgetz: 7:44am On Mar 18, 2023
Re: No Oro Festival In Lagos On Saturday, Electoral Process Not Threatened – Police by dapsoneh: 7:44am On Mar 18, 2023
Elluuuu peeeeee and propaganda
Their grandpatron is a chief liar
Go and verify it

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No Oro Festival In Lagos On Saturday, Electoral Process Not Threatened – Police by Lanre4uonly(m): 7:45am On Mar 18, 2023
Definitely.
Re: No Oro Festival In Lagos On Saturday, Electoral Process Not Threatened – Police by Progressyac: 7:45am On Mar 18, 2023
I thought the festival is evening things
Re: No Oro Festival In Lagos On Saturday, Electoral Process Not Threatened – Police by inoki247: 7:45am On Mar 18, 2023
Lol Oro wey be Night event...

You wan Vote for 12 midnight...

1 Like

Re: No Oro Festival In Lagos On Saturday, Electoral Process Not Threatened – Police by olatunji0607: 7:46am On Mar 18, 2023
Propaganda everywhere!!!

1 Like

Re: No Oro Festival In Lagos On Saturday, Electoral Process Not Threatened – Police by Dididrumz(m): 7:46am On Mar 18, 2023
Fools.

An Oba that wants to use Oro festival to intimidate and disenfranchise voters, is that one an Oba?

Bastard human beings.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Oro Festival In Lagos On Saturday, Electoral Process Not Threatened – Police by mytime24(f): 7:46am On Mar 18, 2023
So na now police woy talk
Re: No Oro Festival In Lagos On Saturday, Electoral Process Not Threatened – Police by princeade86(m): 7:46am On Mar 18, 2023
All I know is that, our system of government is very poor.
Re: No Oro Festival In Lagos On Saturday, Electoral Process Not Threatened – Police by sonnie10: 7:46am On Mar 18, 2023
Indomie generation won’t know that. Soft drink, Oro.
Very cheap and useless back in the days.
Re: No Oro Festival In Lagos On Saturday, Electoral Process Not Threatened – Police by flemsy15(m): 7:46am On Mar 18, 2023
The most interesting results of these governorship elections will come from South East
Re: No Oro Festival In Lagos On Saturday, Electoral Process Not Threatened – Police by Akaegwu(m): 7:46am On Mar 18, 2023
press9jatv:
Yahoo leaders,
Re: No Oro Festival In Lagos On Saturday, Electoral Process Not Threatened – Police by emekajacobogbon(m): 7:47am On Mar 18, 2023
Let's stop the negative speech in terms of tribalism and bigotry in this forum, it will do us a greater favor if we refrain from it because I believe there is power in words.
Each word you speak to another person is a seed down in that person's heart and it will definitely germinate and blossom one day to give you back the fruits.
This forum has the potential of education, entertainment, news, etc for the good and relaxation of hardworking Nigerians, it is very painful to me to sometimes decided to take a break from work and come online to relax only to start hearing negative tribal and derogatory remarks about another person.
For those questioning my position to determine what is good and what is bad,
For those asking me to keep quiet coz I'm not GOD, Freedom of choice doesn't require one to be a God to exercise, it is a duty God delegated to mankind to have freedom to choose but the worst part is that what ever choice you make, you must face the consequences.
So it's for your own good to make a positive choice.
The society can only regulate and enforce positive behavior to an extent but it lies on each individual to make the world a better place by making positive choices

2 Likes

Re: No Oro Festival In Lagos On Saturday, Electoral Process Not Threatened – Police by Mindlog: 7:47am On Mar 18, 2023
Cool
Re: No Oro Festival In Lagos On Saturday, Electoral Process Not Threatened – Police by INTEGRITYA1(m): 7:47am On Mar 18, 2023
Okay

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria Reiterates Call For A Humanitarian Truce In Israel-Gaza Conflict / Oil Subsidy Removal: I’ll Lead Sng To Protest If – Tunde Bakare / Housing: Osinbajo Hosts 'Major Stakeholders' In Abuja (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.