Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,775 members, 7,810,021 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:47 PM

Labour Congress Plans Strike For 200% Increase In Fuel Prices - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Labour Congress Plans Strike For 200% Increase In Fuel Prices (5088 Views)

Nigeria Labour Congress Warns FG - Don’t Increase Price Of Fuel / Fuel Subsidy: NLC Suspends Strike For The Weekend / Official Reaction Of Nigerian Labour Congress To 2012 Budget Proposal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Labour Congress Plans Strike For 200% Increase In Fuel Prices by Sunofgod(m): 8:30pm On Sep 16, 2011
Nlc Mobilises Nigerians Against 200% Fuel Price Hike

The Nigerian Labour Congress on Friday said it had begun mobilising Nigerians to resist the Federal Government‘s alleged plan to raise the price of fuel by 200 per cent.

NLC Deputy President, Kiri Mohammed, told newsmen in Abuja that it was alarmed at the government‘s plan, adding that it would fight the proposed hike.

The NLC leader said it would stage a protest on Thursday, September 22 in Abuja over the proposed hike in fuel price and electricity tariff, the abuses in the privatisation process and non-payment of the N18,000 new minimum wage by some state governments.

It called on other labour bodies and civil society groups to help in the mobilisation for the rally.

He also said the NLC would investigate the scams that characterised the privatisation process and ensure the prosecution of government officials who participated in the fraud.

http://www.punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201109161448345
Re: Labour Congress Plans Strike For 200% Increase In Fuel Prices by aljharem3: 12:59am On Sep 17, 2011
na wa ooo 200% shocked

ridiculous price and i don't believe it
Re: Labour Congress Plans Strike For 200% Increase In Fuel Prices by amblors(m): 7:55am On Sep 17, 2011
[size=40pt]200% ?[/size]

that one easy for them.
minimum wage increase just by 100% oh!!!
na wa.
Re: Labour Congress Plans Strike For 200% Increase In Fuel Prices by kokogee: 8:14am On Sep 17, 2011
dividend of democracy! FRESH AIR!!!
Re: Labour Congress Plans Strike For 200% Increase In Fuel Prices by samyng(m): 8:23am On Sep 17, 2011
200% means everything here in nigeria would rise up to 100% or more,  cost of runing a business will be very high. Ranging from transportation , food items phone bills, internet bills, etc GOD HELP US, I HOPE THIS IS A RUMOUR  shocked shocked shocked. More is that the new National Minimum wage will be worthless,  Hmm These politicians.  I PRAY PRESIDENT JONATHAN REFUSES TO HAVE SUCH EVIL THOUGHTS WE ALL NEED TO PRAY FOR HIM
Re: Labour Congress Plans Strike For 200% Increase In Fuel Prices by saintneo(m): 8:36am On Sep 17, 2011
this one na wete isi bia were isi. Meaning the devil does not give you something without demanding for something in return.
Re: Labour Congress Plans Strike For 200% Increase In Fuel Prices by Nobody: 8:53am On Sep 17, 2011
time for the sub saharan african spring! time to revolt against the oppressive corrupt government!
Re: Labour Congress Plans Strike For 200% Increase In Fuel Prices by sheyguy: 9:08am On Sep 17, 2011
200% my God, where are we going from here? i also heard they plan to increase Electricity tariff by 200% cement has already been there (over 200% up). so many can hardly survive on there current pay.
My question is if they want us to pay similar price for petroleum product as developed nations like UK, America and co. does the average Nigerian earn similar income as pple in these countries? if no then why impose hardship on avag=rage Nigerian?
Re: Labour Congress Plans Strike For 200% Increase In Fuel Prices by Nobody: 9:09am On Sep 17, 2011
fresh air!!!!!

breathe it in you voted for it!!!

better hope that u have shoes unlike gej or your feet will wear out - trekking will be the only option for many after the transport fare hikes
Re: Labour Congress Plans Strike For 200% Increase In Fuel Prices by Sunofgod(m): 9:13am On Sep 17, 2011
sheyguy:

200% my God, where are we going from here? i also heard they plan to increase Electricity tariff by 200% cement has already been there (over 200% up). so many can hardly survive on there current pay. 
My question is if they want us to pay similar price for petroleum product as developed nations like UK, America and co. does the average Nigerian earn similar income as pple in these countries? if no then why impose hardship on avag=rage Nigerian?

Because they can . . . . . .

Since when did politicians start caring about the 'common man'?

All of them bar none are evil, wicked, inept crooks.
Re: Labour Congress Plans Strike For 200% Increase In Fuel Prices by Nobody: 9:16am On Sep 17, 2011
Time to do Libya style in Nigeria, only that Nigerians no get heart at all, they are too afraid to stand on their feet when ever they hear gun shots from policemen, nobody wan die grin
Re: Labour Congress Plans Strike For 200% Increase In Fuel Prices by sadyeek(m): 9:35am On Sep 17, 2011
[size=18pt]Just 100days and so many things is going wrong and downhill,

Inflation go turn to the no1 killer.
Looks like this is part of ngozis idea, if so then she obviously is making things worse n not better.

There are people who are born to lead, i don't tink GEJ is one of them.

Just my thoughts.[/size]
Re: Labour Congress Plans Strike For 200% Increase In Fuel Prices by efisher(m): 10:00am On Sep 17, 2011
NLC needs to let this one fly and instead channel its energy towards ensuring the productive use of the subsidy money.
Re: Labour Congress Plans Strike For 200% Increase In Fuel Prices by skyone(m): 10:11am On Sep 17, 2011
Believe it or not " THE ILLUMINATI, FREEMASONS, AND JOINT CARTEL FROM US AND EUROPE" controls the oil prices around the world (FORGET OPEC) . And if you don't abide by their rules YOU WILL BE SCOOPED i mean the leader/leaders of that country would be politically removed and someone who is more favourable will then step in.
Re: Labour Congress Plans Strike For 200% Increase In Fuel Prices by Nobody: 10:27am On Sep 17, 2011
Leaving this country for the rich is the best option, Mekunu can never survive here , i mean the poor people, its on the rich that will be getting richer every day,
Re: Labour Congress Plans Strike For 200% Increase In Fuel Prices by infofta(m): 10:28am On Sep 17, 2011
200% = Hardship
Hardship + Bombing = Revolution
Revolution = Failed State by 2015
Re: Labour Congress Plans Strike For 200% Increase In Fuel Prices by skyone(m): 10:56am On Sep 17, 2011
info.fta:

200% = Hardship
Hardship + Bombing = Revolution
Revolution = Failed State by 2015

You are almost 100% correct, it will come to a time when people will prefer to ku ku die than to live and suffer immensely. And that means fatal revolution up and down the country, i pray it won't happen though.
Re: Labour Congress Plans Strike For 200% Increase In Fuel Prices by metrixauto: 3:18pm On Sep 17, 2011
more people will be improverished,more people will be frustrated,more sucide bombers to come,We need prayer to heal our land
Re: Labour Congress Plans Strike For 200% Increase In Fuel Prices by nuclearboy(m): 5:15pm On Sep 17, 2011
Anyone who voted pdp should shut up and enjoy the fresh air promised and now being delivered
Re: Labour Congress Plans Strike For 200% Increase In Fuel Prices by don33310(m): 7:56pm On Sep 17, 2011
If president Goodluck does that,it will be the beginning of the end of his unpopular adminstration.
Re: Labour Congress Plans Strike For 200% Increase In Fuel Prices by Pukkah: 8:25pm On Sep 17, 2011
In theory, it's good to remove the subsidy. In practice, the removed subsidy will go into the pockets of the armed robbers masquerading as leaders. Have all the gains from previous price increases developed Nigeria's infrastructure in any way?
Re: Labour Congress Plans Strike For 200% Increase In Fuel Prices by ektbear: 8:46pm On Sep 17, 2011
I used to think NLC was evil. Now I just think that they are dumb.

We already know most of the fuel subsidy is stolen by corrupt guys connected to NNPC or smuggled to benefit Benin Republic, Niger Republic and Cameroon.

So how can anyone be in support of a policy that spends $1 to give 5 cents of benefit to the common man?

Shouldn't you be fighting to see it abolished and the money spent on something that will actually benefit the people? Policies that spend $1 and give say 50 cents or 75 cents, or hell, even the full dollar to the common man?
Re: Labour Congress Plans Strike For 200% Increase In Fuel Prices by mekaboy(m): 10:18pm On Sep 17, 2011

THE CORRUPT GOVT IS MAKING THINGS SO HARD FOR THE COMMON MAN, WITH OVER 50MILLION UNEMPLOYED NIGERIANS, YOU STILL WANT TO INCREASE FUEL PRICE WHICH WILL EVENTUALLY INCREASE THE COST OF EVERYTHING . THIS WILL ALSO INCREASE CRIME, BECAUSE THE PEOPLE HAVE TO SURVIVE SOMEHOW.

TALKING ABOUT HOW MUCH NIGERIA SPENDS ON FUEL SUBSIDY , LET THE EFCC RECOVER OUR STOLEN FUNDS, IT WILL BE ENOUGH TO SUBSIDIZE FUEL TILL 80% OF THE UNEMPLOYED NIGERIANS ARE EMPLOYED.

Re: Labour Congress Plans Strike For 200% Increase In Fuel Prices by sweet9ja: 10:32pm On Sep 17, 2011
ekt_bear:

I used to think NLC was evil. Now I just think that they are dumb.

We already know most of the fuel subsidy is stolen by corrupt guys connected to NNPC or smuggled to benefit Benin Republic, Niger Republic and Cameroon.

So how can anyone be in support of a policy that spends $1 to give 5 cents of benefit to the common man?

Shouldn't you be fighting to see it abolished and the money spent on something that will actually benefit the people? Policies that spend $1 and give say 50 cents or 75 cents, or hell, even the full dollar to the common man?

Thanks for your observation. I've always said that these clowns (NLC) are closet Communists and are not working for the interest of Nigerians.
My only fear is that gullible and despirately poor Nigerians see the NLC as their champion. We must realise that without these reforms the country may end up bankrupt one day. Argentina went bankrupt in 2005 and Greece is on the brink of bankrupcy.
Re: Labour Congress Plans Strike For 200% Increase In Fuel Prices by adconline(m): 3:04am On Sep 18, 2011
Okonjo Iweala school of economics brought to you by IMF and WorldBank!
Re: Labour Congress Plans Strike For 200% Increase In Fuel Prices by Kobojunkie: 3:06am On Sep 18, 2011
What in the world has IMF and WorldBank to do with this?  sad sad sad undecided undecided undecided

mekaboy:

THE CORRUPT GOVT IS MAKING THINGS SO HARD FOR THE COMMON MAN, WITH OVER 50MILLION UNEMPLOYED NIGERIANS, YOU STILL WANT TO INCREASE FUEL PRICE WHICH WILL EVENTUALLY INCREASE THE COST OF EVERYTHING . THIS WILL ALSO INCREASE CRIME, BECAUSE THE PEOPLE HAVE TO SURVIVE SOMEHOW.

TALKING ABOUT HOW MUCH NIGERIA SPENDS ON FUEL SUBSIDY , LET THE EFCC RECOVER OUR STOLEN FUNDS, IT WILL BE ENOUGH TO SUBSIDIZE FUEL TILL 80% OF THE UNEMPLOYED NIGERIANS ARE EMPLOYED.

Why expect COMMON SENSE solution to any of Nigeria's problems at this point? I mean we should at least be happy that the suggestion was not to declare a BAN on subsidies, across the board. rofl
Re: Labour Congress Plans Strike For 200% Increase In Fuel Prices by sirjec(m): 9:31pm On Sep 18, 2011
Over the years FG have been saying they wanna remove subsidy and we have been fighting against it. I feel it's high-time we let them remove it and then see how things turn out. Honestly fuel is very cheap in this country. I feel they have to allow the price to meet up with world market price. We have always survived and we will survive.
Re: Labour Congress Plans Strike For 200% Increase In Fuel Prices by OAM4J: 2:12am On Sep 19, 2011
[size=13pt]Crisis looms, Labour rejects planned hike in fuel price[/size]

TUC to shun talks with govt today

NLC Acting President turns down invitation

Governors allege abuse of fuel subsidy, seeks removal

THE Federal Government may soon be faced with civil and industrial unrest alongside other challenges confronting the country as the Labour movement yesterday threatened to reject the proposed deregulation of the downstream sector of the petroleum industry.

Already, the President-General of Trade Union Congress (TUC), Peter Esele, has said the union will not be a part of the negotiations, which begin today between Labour and the Federal Government on the move to hike the price of a litre of petrol to N150.

It was not clear last night who will lead the NLC team to the talks, as one of the deputies of the union’s hierarchy, Kiri Mohammed, now deputising for the NLC President, Abdulwaheed Omar, said he had rejected the assignment to participate in the parley.

Mohammed said he had gone to Dutse, Jigawa State where he works at the pension board. In his absence, the lot falls on either Promise Adewusi or Joe Ajaero who are the other deputy presidents.

Also, governors of the 36 states of the federation are poised for another showdown with the Federal Government over the latter’s continued deduction of huge amount of money from the Federation Account for fuel subsidy.

In their renewed opposition to the policy, the governors said at the weekend that it was no longer relevant because ordinary Nigerians meant to be the major beneficiaries of the scheme had been sidelined.

The governors further said that the Federal Government is violating the provisions of the Constitution and an earlier agreement they reached on the matter by persistently deducting money for fuel subsidy from source in the Federation Account.

Niger State Governor Mua’zu Babangida Aliyu, who made his colleagues’ position on the matter public in Osogbo, Osun State at the weekend, said the government was breaching the agreement the parties reached that the deduction be stopped.

Aliyu lamented that the deduction, which the governors challenged in court, still continues despite an out-of-court settlement sought by the federal authorities on the matter.

And against the backdrop of allegations by organised Labour that the government has increased fuel price and removed the controversial subsidy, the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) said yesterday that the policy was still in place.

Its Group Public Affairs Manager, Dr. Levi Ajuonuma told The Guardian that the government was yet to do away with fuel subsidy.

He said the government is still consulting with all the stakeholders to ensure the withdrawal of subsidy on petroleum products would be done when it is prudent to take the measure. According to the pricing template of the Petroleum Product Pricing Regulatory Agency (PPPA) as at August 15, 2011, the landing cost of a litre of petrol is N129.21; the margin for transporters and marketers is N15.49; the expected pump price is N144.70; while the official pump price is N65.

This means that the government pays N79.70 as subsidy on each litre of petrol.

With about 32 million litres of petrol consumed daily in the country, the government pays about N2.6 billion as subsidy per day.

Esele alleged that government is broke and is desperately looking for where it can get cheap money to finance its projects without first pruning its re-current expenditure.

He said somebody requested him to attend the meeting, “but we (TUC) will not attend. I also know that government is proposing N150 pump price per litre of petrol. We ask how do you do that? There is no infrastructure in place and the recurrent expenditure is as high as 70 per cent. Even a businessman does not run recurrent expenditure of more than 40 per cent talk less of the government of a country. They are quick to announce salary payment as reason for this jerk up, but I ask how much is paid on salary yearly?”

He said the government pays only N11 billion on salary yearly with the new minimum wage to its workers.

Isele asked how much is spent to maintaining ministers, special advisers, senior special advisers, ambassadors, governors, commissioners and National Assembly members yearly?

He alleged that what they call constituency project is a fraud and “yet the government is not interested in plugging all these leakages but interested in removing fuel subsidy. We will resist that unless there is infrastructure for the people.”

Esele stressed that government is not coming to the negotiation table with something new saying, “they are not coming to the table with any new idea and therefore nothing new to discuss.”

Before the move to increase fuel price, the NLC had scheduled a rally in Abuja for Thursday to protest the state-of-the-nation.

Mohammed while announcing plans for the protest at the weekend in Abuja, said: “In the midst of mass suffering despite our huge natural resources and income, it is provocative for the government to want to further increase the price of petrol. In fact, this will tantamount to cruel injustice against the Nigerian people.

“The primary motive for this planned price increase is the insatiable greed of some politicians to get more money to squander; they see an increase in fuel prices as easy way to access more of the country’s wealth. There is also the calculation to render the new minimum wage worthless by embarking on a hyper inflation-inducing project like the astronomical increase in the prices of petroleum products.”

The governor said if Abuja believes in fuel subsidy, it should restrict the deduction to its own share of the Federation Account.

He described the deduction as unjustifiable, saying the governors had discovered that it was a calculated attempt to enrich a few individuals at the expense of most Nigerians.

Aliyu queried: “Why should people circumvent the law of the land with impunity? It is part of official corruption. The rule says everything that is generated in the Federation Account should be distributed in accordance with the formula that is on ground. But it is surprising that people still deduct from the source before the distribution. If the NNPC or any other person wants to deduct from the Federal Government allocation, it is alright but you cannot deduct from the source because the issue had been resolved.

“We have discovered that what they call subsidy is no more subsidy to Nigerians but a few elements are profiting from the exercise and so we agreed that the deduction should stop. My position and I think is the position of other governors is that we have decided it must stop and it should stop,” he said.

The governor said good governance is an antidote to corruption, stressing that his administration makes graft in the public sector a serious offence that might affect the career progression of offenders.

“By personal disposition, people know that if I get you with corrupt tendency, you are in trouble. If you think I’m also involved, there are other ways that I can be challenged. So openly, I confront anybody and that has permeated down the system and like I talked about transparency anytime money is released, we will let the world know and how the government intends to utilise available resources.”

Aliyu said the major problems facing the state government are ghost workers, inflated emolument with the names of retired officers or those who had died still reflected on the nominal payroll.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=61567:crisis-looms-labour-rejects-planned-hike-in-fuel-price&catid=1:national&Itemid=559
Re: Labour Congress Plans Strike For 200% Increase In Fuel Prices by Pukkah: 6:30am On Sep 19, 2011
@sirjec, why do you think fuel is 'very cheap' in Nigeria? Have you attempted to compare fuel prices in Nigeria with those in other oil producing countries?
Re: Labour Congress Plans Strike For 200% Increase In Fuel Prices by nuclearboy(m): 6:36am On Sep 19, 2011
@sirjec:

Google will tell you what the price of fuel is in say, Libya and Saudi
Re: Labour Congress Plans Strike For 200% Increase In Fuel Prices by Nobody: 9:56am On Sep 19, 2011
When will nlc go on strike demanding for the true practice of total fiscal federalism, holistic constitutional review to address these miriads of social malady confronting this nation? They only go on strike for increament in thier salaries and petroleum products alone and after that they go home and wate for d nxt strike for the same reasons. Labour is a very strong body that can actually bring about the type of change we desire by downing their tools completely and demand for total good governance. The theiving bunch made up of both legislative federal chambers, the executives and judiciary can be compeled to start doing d right thing as its done in other climes and its only the organise labour in colaboration with other civil organizations that have the ability to presurise these vampires in goverment to start doing the right thing jst as it was done in venezuela but all d labour does is strike only for salary increament and petroluem product related issues dats all.
Re: Labour Congress Plans Strike For 200% Increase In Fuel Prices by MMM2(m): 12:36pm On Sep 19, 2011
9ja embarassed

(1) (2) (Reply)

Collecting Bribe Is In My Blood - Dismissed Policeman / FG Probes Attack On Embassy In Senegal / Manufacturing Sector Is BOOMING Says M.A.N. (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.