Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,832 members, 7,813,760 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:50 PM

Nweke Peter: Thugs Beat Man To Death At A Polling Unit In Ebonyi (Photo) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nweke Peter: Thugs Beat Man To Death At A Polling Unit In Ebonyi (Photo) (36481 Views)

Waje Cries Out As Thugs Beat & Chase Voters Away At Her Polling Unit In Lagos / Gunmen Kill Igboke Ewa (Traditional Ruler) In Ebonyi (Photo) / Thugs Beat Seidu Oshiomhole, Edo Lawmakers-Elect (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nweke Peter: Thugs Beat Man To Death At A Polling Unit In Ebonyi (Photo) by NwekeUG(m): 2:06pm On Mar 19, 2023
Guber Election: Political Thugs Beat Man To Death At Polling Unit In Ebonyi (Photo)

Gunmen suspected to be political thugs have killed a man identified as Nweke Peter, at a polling unit in Ezza Local Government Area of Ebonyi State, IGBERETV reports.

The deceased's brother, Sampson Oko Nweke, who is the Ebonyi State chairman of the Human Rights Defenders of Nigeria, (HURIDE), said the incident happened during the governorship and state House of Assembly elections at Ogboji ward on Saturday, March 18, 2023.

The activist said he and others managed to escape when the armed thugs invaded the polling units but his brother was not so lucky as the gunmen beat him to a coma.

He narrated;

"Armed political thugs with AK-47 riffles invaded my polling unit @booth 10, Ogboji ward, Ezza North LGA Ebonyi State. They came in two Carter motorcycles.

"One of them surrendered me with AK-47 at a very close range while others thugs pursued other people in the bush. How I managed to find myself outside the polling centre remains mysterious to me. I was almost a dead person today.

"They beat my brother, Mr Nweke Peter JP to coma. He is being rushed to hospital according to reports from those still around there. The hoodlums were also said to have set ablaze all the electoral materials in the three booths in Ndiagu Ogboji.,booths 009, 010 and 011."

https://www.facebook.com/100003015173550/posts/pfbid0a1FAw3wP9BfGUyPnPJTrK8rHyNGzZaJtyCNE39c53bVGr8b7EZkuwJzPUYirYvLLl/?app=fbl

He further narrated;

"Two weeks ago, bro Peter came visiting me in Abakaliki. I wasn't in the house but he met my wife. He told my wife to tell me that I should be very careful. He said that a certain political party had enlisted some persons from our community for elimination on or before the election date. He said he's number one on the list, I am number two and three other persons.

“Today, it happened to us. While I luckily survived it, my brother could not. They killed him at my polling unit. I wish today never came. Oh! How I wish there was never a date called 18th March, 2023. Bro Peter wouldn't have died. A young man so full of life and promises.”

https://www.facebook.com/100003015173550/posts/pfbid02uyRA781954b9xXQV575ab1SSUE9FDnDd3sjTtvmRqp7YEkNq4yGmdY52zhqXA79Ql/?app=fbl

https://igberetvnews.com/1441177/guber-election-political-thugs-beat-man-death-polling-unit-ebonyi-photo/

Re: Nweke Peter: Thugs Beat Man To Death At A Polling Unit In Ebonyi (Photo) by AsapTeddy(m): 2:09pm On Mar 19, 2023
Omo...this is too bad

1 Like

Re: Nweke Peter: Thugs Beat Man To Death At A Polling Unit In Ebonyi (Photo) by God1000(m): 2:09pm On Mar 19, 2023
But why, too much bloodshed in this election.

What is their gain now?

18 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nweke Peter: Thugs Beat Man To Death At A Polling Unit In Ebonyi (Photo) by FairlyUSEDpussy: 2:10pm On Mar 19, 2023
Sheybe e.......don reach y.eebo now u dey ask why abi??

If twas........Alhaji/Evang/Pastor Mc Oluomo dat was gentlemanly telling you and your lots to "Sit your damned murdaf*** black asses at home"......... sheybe una go dey here dey wail.......

Thought.........yeast is home to all saints and perfectionist...........

God1000:
But why, too much bloodshed in this election

337 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Nweke Peter: Thugs Beat Man To Death At A Polling Unit In Ebonyi (Photo) by hisexcellency34: 2:11pm On Mar 19, 2023
How can you sleep with your two eyes closed knowing that you killed someone to occupy the office you are holding?

22 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nweke Peter: Thugs Beat Man To Death At A Polling Unit In Ebonyi (Photo) by MrBiGGEST(m): 2:11pm On Mar 19, 2023
Fvck, R.I.P

3 Likes

Re: Nweke Peter: Thugs Beat Man To Death At A Polling Unit In Ebonyi (Photo) by Urheadmaster(m): 2:14pm On Mar 19, 2023
Murderers kill without being remorseful tongue
hisexcellency34:
How can you sleep with your two eyes closed knowing that you killed someone to occupy the office you are holding?

2 Likes

Re: Nweke Peter: Thugs Beat Man To Death At A Polling Unit In Ebonyi (Photo) by Padipadi(m): 2:17pm On Mar 19, 2023
They only focus on Lagos but neglect news like this from their region. Say no to violence!
If Labour Party no win any gubernatorial seat in the south east, all Obi supporters are bastards. Note that's there's a difference btw Obidients and Obidióts.
* Obidióts are elupeees. You know those that say elunpee from top to bottom. That's daftness, won't you vet other candidates if they are worth voting for? They are the LP supporters that argue blindly, lacked history, lacked political calculations that Obi isn't as popular as Tinubu or Atiku in the north, focus on Lagos elections alone and neglect other parts of the country. They act as if LP is Igbo party alone yet failed to focus on south-south and the south east where Obi came from.
Most are those yeyebrities like dead career Mr P, Chioma Chukwuka, Omoni Oboli, some Nairaland mods or stakeholders, yellow fever faced Rufai of Arise TV & Obi himself. All of them played into the hands of Tinubu easily. Very dumb people.

* Obidient LP are those that are sane among LP supporters. They are useful for future progressive elections. They saw the demonic govt and has decided to support on a realistic way instead of making inciting statements like Obidióts. The solution is to rally round all youths nationwide and it must start from the north. Cos they are the region that gave LP the least vote. The face of new Nigeria might not be Obi in 2027. But it's better to plan ahead cos if FG fail again, they ll come back with more brutal tactics in 2027. We need unity now. All Igbos doing gburugburu politics should receive brain. And other tribes that want to forge should shun tribalism and see this as project new Nigeria devoid of hate, ethnic or religious votes.
We have two tribes in Nigeria. The elites and the poor. It's not by violence or inciting hate. It's by planting that structure deep in northern Nigeria and other regions. Imagine the voters apathy witnessed yesterday. People must wear a never say die attitude towards election. Imagine them saying cos presidential was controversial, they lost confidence in gubernatorial. That's stupidity. What affected you most? Isn't it governors?

83 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Nweke Peter: Thugs Beat Man To Death At A Polling Unit In Ebonyi (Photo) by AdaojoTheUrchin: 2:21pm On Mar 19, 2023
Exactly why the military needs to take over until Nigeria evolves in democracy. Every election day, people get kill. Electronic voting is the ONLY WAY forward and only the military can enact it..
Read my thoughts.

The military gave us the constitution that we are killing to defend today, so why demonizing the military?
The military handed over to politicians who asked for democracy. Yet these 'quasi-democrats' cannot manage a simple election that other democratic countries organise without rancour and rigging. They claim to be democrats but threaten other Nigerians from freely voting their choice. They kill, they maim, they mutilate results and steal people's votes.

Nigeria's election swallows 300 billion Naira every four years, voting is done on a flimsy paper and fake results are manually mutilated and written in the bedroom of politicians after collation at the polling stations. Are the voters who stand in the rain and sunshine that worthless?

Political thugs are everywhere threatening and killing people who want to vote their choice. How is that different from the Liberian war where people's hands were cut off to prevent them from voting?

The Solution
In the event that judiciary becomes too cowardly to call a spade a spade and end rubber-stampping this open electoral heist that has negated every norms of democratic process, the military must must not hesitate to save the country from being thrown into anarchy by politicians who do not believe in the rights of others in a free democracy.

How will they do this? An interim government should take charge and fix the electoral system to ensure that minimal or zero human interference is allowed in our electoral system.

A 100% electronic voting system is what is needed now. Voters get accredited with their voter's card ONLY ONCE, and then vote in a paperless electronic manner, the votes are recorded and sent directly to the server and seen on the INEC IREV in REAL-TIME.
It has to be transparent, so that losers and winners will agree with the results.

Rigging of elections usually happens between when ballots are counted and when the votes are collated by INEC. That is usually when the results are mutilated or destroyed and the fake ones recorded..That should be stemmed in the tide by e-polling and e-collation and e-transmission of votes. A lot of money will be saved from printing worthless ballot papers that can be snatched anytime by political thugs trying to subvert the process.

Politicians who have vested interests cannot give us a perfect electoral system. When the debate for BVAS and IreV was brought up on the floor of the Senate last year, many sitting politicians afraid of loss of popularity back home, opposed the inclusion of clause 'INEC shall transmit electronically', this has given INEC and politicians the wherewithal to claim 'there is no network, we will transmit the votes when we get to the office', allowing the sustenance of an electoral system that is fraught with heavy irregularities.

Videos abound of INEC presiding officials who have been bribed by politicians telling the voters 'we will not upload until we get to the office', of course we know that once they get to their office (or the sitting rooms of politicians), the results are mutilated or changed outrightly. That's an insult to the Nigerian voters.

No politician will allow such reform to happen, not even Tinubu will let that happen. Only a dispassionate interim military government can institute an electoral reform that will be fair to all and hand it over to Nigerians.
We need to consider this a surgical procedure that will strengthen true democracy in the aftermath.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nweke Peter: Thugs Beat Man To Death At A Polling Unit In Ebonyi (Photo) by Nobody: 2:34pm On Mar 19, 2023
Ewedu nd Amala at it again grin grin
De hav Invaded Ebonyi state

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nweke Peter: Thugs Beat Man To Death At A Polling Unit In Ebonyi (Photo) by Zonefree(m): 2:42pm On Mar 19, 2023
All the States APC are incharge experienced thuggery and bloodshed in this election. APC is evil!

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nweke Peter: Thugs Beat Man To Death At A Polling Unit In Ebonyi (Photo) by IyaTola: 3:58pm On Mar 19, 2023
angry
Re: Nweke Peter: Thugs Beat Man To Death At A Polling Unit In Ebonyi (Photo) by squadroonz(m): 3:59pm On Mar 19, 2023
Those thugs sef, how much were they given that they risk their lives trying to destroy the polling units of their opponent stronghold.. most times I just weak cus it seems many people no just Normal for this country.

2 Likes

Re: Nweke Peter: Thugs Beat Man To Death At A Polling Unit In Ebonyi (Photo) by johnaruson(m): 3:59pm On Mar 19, 2023
Identify them and charge them for murder, the will be in jail for life

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nweke Peter: Thugs Beat Man To Death At A Polling Unit In Ebonyi (Photo) by SleekyP(m): 3:59pm On Mar 19, 2023
angry
Re: Nweke Peter: Thugs Beat Man To Death At A Polling Unit In Ebonyi (Photo) by samwillyco1(m): 3:59pm On Mar 19, 2023
Devil Umahi's boy's.

4 Likes

Re: Nweke Peter: Thugs Beat Man To Death At A Polling Unit In Ebonyi (Photo) by AmazingELixir: 3:59pm On Mar 19, 2023
grin

Seems this thuggery work is lucrative the way youngmen are rushing to it...

Tony Kabaka and mc Oluomo have truly popularised this craft

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nweke Peter: Thugs Beat Man To Death At A Polling Unit In Ebonyi (Photo) by BABANGBALI: 3:59pm On Mar 19, 2023
Igbo kwenu

20 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nweke Peter: Thugs Beat Man To Death At A Polling Unit In Ebonyi (Photo) by Johnjustice: 4:00pm On Mar 19, 2023
Nobody was beaten to death in Lagos. This is Labor party strong hold. These are ipob terrorists. Ezekwizele and obidient urchins won't see this news, it's their darling ipob brothers.

285 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Nweke Peter: Thugs Beat Man To Death At A Polling Unit In Ebonyi (Photo) by norriswood(m): 4:00pm On Mar 19, 2023
AsapTeddy:
Omo...this is too bad
. Where are the igbos with their newly learnt word..urchins to comment

304 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nweke Peter: Thugs Beat Man To Death At A Polling Unit In Ebonyi (Photo) by ProphetM0hammad: 4:00pm On Mar 19, 2023
We don't even know that election is going on here

We ogbono goblin okoros have our eyes fixed on Lagos and ogun states

274 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Nweke Peter: Thugs Beat Man To Death At A Polling Unit In Ebonyi (Photo) by homosapien(m): 4:00pm On Mar 19, 2023
Zonefree:
All the States APC are incharge experienced thuggery and bloodshed in this election. APC is evil!

Is Enugu part of the aforementioned state?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nweke Peter: Thugs Beat Man To Death At A Polling Unit In Ebonyi (Photo) by Fidinno(m): 4:00pm On Mar 19, 2023
So sad
Re: Nweke Peter: Thugs Beat Man To Death At A Polling Unit In Ebonyi (Photo) by chatinent: 4:01pm On Mar 19, 2023
Man's government has failed.

1 Like

Re: Nweke Peter: Thugs Beat Man To Death At A Polling Unit In Ebonyi (Photo) by 900warriorz: 4:01pm On Mar 19, 2023
Nigeria is truly jad d for Doom cry
Re: Nweke Peter: Thugs Beat Man To Death At A Polling Unit In Ebonyi (Photo) by naijapips04: 4:01pm On Mar 19, 2023
It won't trend because it's not Lagos.

304 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nweke Peter: Thugs Beat Man To Death At A Polling Unit In Ebonyi (Photo) by tiswell(m): 4:01pm On Mar 19, 2023
apc and thuggery

1 Like

Re: Nweke Peter: Thugs Beat Man To Death At A Polling Unit In Ebonyi (Photo) by Hopefully2023: 4:01pm On Mar 19, 2023
Politics? but is this really how politics is been played in other climes ? So sad....

1 Like

Re: Nweke Peter: Thugs Beat Man To Death At A Polling Unit In Ebonyi (Photo) by Newyorkitis(m): 4:02pm On Mar 19, 2023
I'll soon send a petition for improvement on Nairaland.

Seun Osewa must let Nairalanders know who CLCKS LIKE on any comment.
The absence of this feature is making hypocrisy to thrive!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nweke Peter: Thugs Beat Man To Death At A Polling Unit In Ebonyi (Photo) by adecz: 4:02pm On Mar 19, 2023
Igbos are too desperate for
political power and office❗️❗️

In same SE zone, a Labor Party
senatorial candidate of Labour Party
was shot and burnt to ashes in Enugu
a few days to the February polls.😕😕😕

271 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Maria Ude Nwachi's Customized Hummer H2 (Photos) / Clean-Up Committee Eases Traffic In Obalende, Clears Illegal Parks, Garages / Obanikoro: Fashola’s Official Car Costs More Than Oduah’s Bulletproof Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.