Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,101 members, 7,814,867 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:19 PM

2023 Election Irregularities: Way Forward - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2023 Election Irregularities: Way Forward (122 Views)

Meter Bypass As A Revolt To Election Irregularities / Akpabio: Don’t Blame Me For Irregularities In Akwa Ibom Rerun, I’ve No interest / Election Rigging In Kano Busted! Returning Officer Exposes Irregularities, Fraud (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

2023 Election Irregularities: Way Forward by Adeebiwa09(m): 8:23pm On Mar 20, 2023
This is my second thread in a day, haven't even created one in over three years. Anyways humour me (Nigerians tolerance level is low at the point)

To the matter, I think if you ask every Nigerian to give an appraisal of the 2023 Election there would be various divergent opinions and accessments. Some will score them high others will score them low, but we can't neglect the obvious, many may be sentimental others won't be.
As such I was thinking what are the positives and negatives from this elections and what are the remedies and way forward, your opinions are highly welcomed. I think we have very intellectual and reasonable people here and our views can propel Nigeria forward. So whether from INEC, electoral acts or constitution, what is the way forward.

Ps. I saw a thread recently that say fintiri won adamawa and not Binani. Meanwhile Nigerians were happy with the outcome, so how do we check this problems against 2027

These are my personal opinions,
POSITIVES:
1. BVAS: it controlled over voting and time spent for election (except there were not properly configured or set at default)
2. IREV: A good one from INEC to do online monitoring and result checking
3. Voter's register: I was able to vote without my pvc cos my name was found in the register and using my finger print I was accredited, when it didn't work doing gubernatorial election my image worked

NEGATIVES: (and my proffered solutions)
1. Voting buying: stricter measures to checkmate this, especially by having a stiff punishment for whoever is found. As well as proper sensitization from religious and traditional bodies (this one go hard sha, couldn't think of the way to stop it but it can be reduced especially with the actions of EFCC, ICPC, democratic organizations etc)
2. Security: Proper training and arming them to prevent thuggery et al. I think one police per polling unit is not cool, my polling unit had one who didn't even have a baton, I think a JTF can be set up that will involve more military personnel (army, airforce, civil defence etc) presence. How thugs were moving around from polling unit to polling units in Lagos and no one stopped them is fascinating. This will stop thuggery and political violence even cub vote buying to some degree.
What of corrupt officers? Body cam. If the the police officer and the PO are themselves been checked either through body cams and/or cctv he go hard to do anyhow
3. Result manipulations: the immediate uploading of result both to IREV and to the situation rooms of the parties. The parties should also have a structure that can make agents upload polling unit, ward and LGA results online for proper monitoring.
4. PVC and Polling unit change: I had a challenge with collecting my PVC, they kept saying they haven't printed it cos I did transfer since July and my ward is very large and all that, a lot of people especially transfers could not vote because of missing name, double registration (even with that I still saw people with double registration) so a lot of people were disenfranchised. Although I was still able to vote due to voters register. I think the use of pvc should not be rigid since you technically don't need it to vote according to BVAS sha, then people's polling unit should be close to their homes it will cut any how movement with that thugs going around with vehicles no go happen.
5. Underage voting: through bank records, birth certificate or NIN this can be regulated. Thus proper records and a sync (very importantly) be done between NIN, BVN and PVC (I personally think one card should be used for NIN and PVC, even if you collect the card when you are young you can't use it until then)

No specific class: don't know where you put this, they are other suggestions
1. In places like US, people could mail their votes. Plenty essential people couldn't vote cos of work journalists, doctors, nurses, security personnel etc then patients etc couldn't also. A system can be created for them to be able to vote either remotely or online or even in the polling unit they are assigned.
2. Electronic voting, hmmm I know e go hard especially cos of illiterates well I don't think anything is impossible it's the gadget that's the thing. There are smart tables or gadget that can do this, if we can sign on a gadget and it reflects then it's possible. With this the name, the party logo and picture of the candidate can show. All you need to do is tap on it. A pseudo election can be done to get people familiar with it.
3. Very importantly reduce the number of parties. The gap between APC and PDP on the ballot paper almost make people know who you voted for by the positioning of your ballot paper.
4. Live monitoring: in some nations of the world INEC (their own) only organises election the media monitors is, that as voting is happening its reading almost immediately on those news channels. This can only be perfectly done is the electronic voting is done.

Wow, that is a long read, that's my thoughts sha

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Yoruba And The Concept Of Omoluabi / Debunk False Claims Made Against Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola By Regressive Elements A / The Seed We Have Sown

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.