Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,401 members, 7,846,693 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 09:17 PM

The Importance Of NYSC - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Importance Of NYSC (393 Views)

Video Of NYSC Member Giving An Erotic Dance At Orientation Camp / Is There Any Negative Effect Of NYSC Exemption Certificate? / Picture Of NYSC Corp Member Caught Eyeing A Female's Backside Goes Viral (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Importance Of NYSC by Gabsadress: 8:40pm On Mar 20, 2023
Why is NYSC important?

Ever wondered why NYSC is important to Nigerian Students? Then you must first understand what NYSC means. The full meaning of NYSC is National Youth Service Corps. It is an important programme set up by the Nigerian government to engage graduates in the development of the country. This however is not what is in the minds of Nigerian graduates when they are being asked to serve their country.

I will be writing based on personal experience and the importance of NYSC to me, as a I am currently a Corp Member. For us, NYSC is a lot more than just serving our country, it is more of a consolation for the years spent in the university and all the tussle that came with it. it gives us a sense of belonging and importance in our country Nigeria.

Being a corp member is like being taken care of by the Nigerian government for one year. When you think about the difficulties of securing employment in Nigeria today, you will automatically find that urge to serve your country and savour all the benefits that come with being a National Youth Corp Member.

As a corp member, we stand to gain respect, Monthly allowance (allawee), Accommodation, and most importantly the chance of securing good employment after the one year of service, as these days, completion of the NYSC programme is a requirement for employment in most companies today.

The Impatient wait for Posting Of the NYSC Senate List

I can say that waiting for the NYSC senate list for my school, was one of the most suspense-filled times of my life. This was so because the senate list that I was waiting for was the third, as my name did not appear in the first and second lists that was issued, so I was really tense.

In Nigeria, we have parents that would never believe what they hear, but only what they see. Most parents conclude that their children probably have one issue or the other at school, if not, why haven’t they gone for service like the rest of their mates. They would never believe their child until they see them in an NYSC uniform. At least this was my case.

NYSC makes parents proud of their children, it unites the home. A Nigerian mother will brag to her friends and neighbours that her child is now a graduate, as soon as he/she becomes a Youth Corper, even though her child may have graduated months or years ago.

The Struggle during the NYSC Registration

The stress that comes with serving our father’s land is a big one but it feels really good when we remind ourselves of what we are fighting for.

The NYSC registration process is unbearable, crowded cyber cafes, slow internet connection and the worst is the seizing of the NYSC portal during the NYSC registration but in the midst of all of these problems, we are determined to make sure we see it through until the registration is completed.

When a graduate makes that decision to serve our father’s land, it just means that he or she knows what they are up against, as they struggle during the NYSC registration is not news to them. Completing this registration process helps them feel good about themselves and proud of how far they have come regardless of all that has happened.

NYSC helps a graduate to see strength and determination in themselves.

Hearing that the NYSC Call-up Letter has been Released

This stage is the most challenging stage for prospective corp members. I do not know how the government does the posting of prospective corp members but I really do think that they only have their best interest at heart.

My friend was posting to Zamfara state, she cried and almost changed her mind about going to camp. Eventually, she hopped on that plane and found herself in Zamfara camp. Up until today, she keeps telling me that she had the best experience in camp and that the most exciting part of it all was how different people, from different tribes came together and worked together. At Zamfara state was when she realised how lovely Hausa people are.

There are different reactions to receiving the call-up letter, there is excitement, anger, sadness, indifference, hatred (towards the NYSC board), disbelieve etc but at this stage, what motivates a graduate to not give up is the experience that would be gained in the orientation camp, for no matter where the camp is located, the experience will always be a beautiful one.

Also, there are different reasons why graduates look forward to going to the NYSC Orientation camp, we have all heard stories of people finding their soulmates in the camp. NYSC orientation camp brings people from entirely different backgrounds together and most times it produces the best result.

Nigerian Students and the NYSC Monthly Allowance (Allawee)

“Being an NYSC Corp member is like being taken care of by the Nigerian government for a year”

I can say that in my school there were people that did not get up to 33000 Naira monthly for upkeep from their parents. This goes far to show you the amount of struggle one goes through just to become a graduate. So, it is ok for a graduate to create make-believe in his/her head of how rich he/she will become when the NYSC monthly allowance starts coming in steady for one year.

NYSC monthly pay of 33000 Naira is efficient enough to take care of one’s basic needs.

The Feeling of being an NYSC Corp Member

I am going to write about my experience on the night of the day that I arrived at the Orientation Camp.

Before my arrival date in camp, I gave some money to a friend of mine who sews, to make me four white shorts.

On the night of the day that I arrived at the Orientation camp, we had our welcome party and I put on one of the shorts and the best white that I got, I also carried my blue water bottle (which I never got to use that night) with my red and black waist bag, I don’t know what your reaction to this will be, but this goes far to show how excited I was.

Click the link below to read on my camp experience and to view my beautiful camp pictures grin

https://www.gabsadress.com/2021/03/why-nysc-is-important-to-nigerian.html

Also click this link below to read other exciting and fun writeups wink

https://www.gabsadress.com/

(1) (Reply)

*246 Bag First Class Honours As UNN Produces 14,308 Bachelor's Degree, 2,482 Pos / University Of Abuja VC Abdul-rasheed Na'allah Increases School Fees To N225,000 / UNIBEN: Dean Of Studentsinaugural Lecture Turns Nigeria's Economic Solution

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.