Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,007 members, 7,817,971 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:36 AM

Why Obi Can't Disqualify Tinubu Even If He Was Convicted In The US - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Obi Can't Disqualify Tinubu Even If He Was Convicted In The US (3592 Views)

Nwajiuba Asks Court To Disqualify Tinubu, Atiku Over ‘vote Buying’ / Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba Asks Court To Disqualify Tinubu, Atiku / 2023: Court Asked To Disqualify Tinubu Over ‘Questionable’ Qualifications (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Obi Can't Disqualify Tinubu Even If He Was Convicted In The US by voltron14: 6:10am On Mar 22, 2023
Na so.

2 Likes

Re: Why Obi Can't Disqualify Tinubu Even If He Was Convicted In The US by Obaaderemi2: 6:22am On Mar 22, 2023
PureFace1:

can you please cite your own part of the Nigeria constitution that make you knowledgeable on the matter ? not just unintelligent tantrums

That's if Obi can even get his SAN to prove Tinubu was convicted in the US.

You guys are just celebrating dead end.
He was not convicted in the US. This case is dead on arrival. I don't understand why these people are not telling themselves the truth. They're not even talking about rigging again.

1 Like

Re: Why Obi Can't Disqualify Tinubu Even If He Was Convicted In The US by Obaaderemi2: 6:27am On Mar 22, 2023
ekolobaba:

Olodo, can’t you see IN NIGERIA in what you posted?
You be mumu. Chai
grin You and these your Obidient friends.
Re: Why Obi Can't Disqualify Tinubu Even If He Was Convicted In The US by Obaaderemi2: 6:30am On Mar 22, 2023
Ohislee:

Tinubu has no choice in this matter. You want to be president of over 200million people, the judges would have to compel him to speak for himself.

Tinubu would be in the accused box and cross examined or interrogated by SANs.

In this case in which the whole world is interested in, I don't think any Judge would want to put his name in the mud for Tinubu.

Tinubu's money can't save him now.
And you think any judge will want to be in the bad book of a man who is very likely going to be sworn in as president in less than 3 month's time? This case is very weak, Oga.

1 Like

Re: Why Obi Can't Disqualify Tinubu Even If He Was Convicted In The US by ChEkWaSIyKe(f): 6:52am On Mar 22, 2023
Your statement will nail Tinubu qoute me. You attributed Tinubu to be god, and you forget that Obi did swallow Tinubu in Lagos with over 900k votes. Mumu
Re: Why Obi Can't Disqualify Tinubu Even If He Was Convicted In The US by fartkay(m): 6:53am On Mar 22, 2023
[quote author=voltron14 post=121962182]Na even EFCC let go of him under Jonathan era. He came out victorious
Re: Why Obi Can't Disqualify Tinubu Even If He Was Convicted In The US by Okoroawusa: 6:58am On Mar 22, 2023
Ohislee:

Tinubu has no choice in this matter. You want to be president of over 200million people, the judges would have to compel him to speak for himself.

Tinubu would be in the accused box and cross examined or interrogated by SANs.

In this case in which the whole world is interested in, I don't think any Judge would want to put his name in the mud for Tinubu.

Tinubu's money can't save him now.

Tinubu will be in the accused box in an election tribunal case?

Mynd44, where do you get these kids?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Obi Can't Disqualify Tinubu Even If He Was Convicted In The US by Keegan: 7:10am On Mar 22, 2023
Obi and his supporters should be concerned about this.

PANDORA PAPERS: Peter Obi reacts, tries to mislead Nigerians
Mr Obi continued to hold his position as a director of his UK company, NEXT International (UK) Limited, 14 months after becoming the governor of Anambra State.

ByHassan Abdulsalam

The ex-governor of Anambra State, Peter Obi, has reacted to a PREMIUM TIMES report on his opaque and illegal activities but he largely went off the tangent in an apparent effort to confuse the public.

In the PREMIUM TIMES opening story in the Pandora Papers series, this newspaper exposed Mr Obi’s secret businesses and how he broke Nigeria’s law in at least three ways.

One, Mr Obi continued to hold his position as a director of his UK company, NEXT International (UK) Limited, 14 months after becoming the governor of Anambra State in contravention of Section Six of the Code of Conduct Bureau and Tribunal Act.

Two, Mr Obi set up complicated layers of secrecy to hide his offshore holdings, which he admitted to failing to declare to the Code of Conduct Bureau, apparently hoping the public and the authorities would never get to know, thereby breaching Section 11, Part of the Fifth Schedule of the 1999 Constitution.

Three, Mr Obi as a governor was also operating a foreign account in breach of the constitution and the public service code of conduct rules.

However, in a reaction sent to PREMIUM TIMES by his spokesperson, Valentine Obienyem, Mr Obi insisted he did not break any law – without specifically debunking any of our claims – and then tried to switch the lane by raising what PREMIUM TIMES did not allege in the paper’s report.

“It was exhilarating that nowhere in the article was he accused of any form of corruption, whether in the form of diversion of public funds or in any other manner during and after his stewardship as the governor of Anambra State,” Mr Obi said in his premise to claim no breach of law.

But our report did not accuse him of diverting public funds as we did not uncover such evidence for such conclusion during our reporting.

When we faced Mr Obi with our findings, he did not deny failure to comply with the law with regards to asset declaration, operation of a foreign account, and directing a private company as a governor. He, however, claimed he was ignorant of the law: “I don’t declare what is owned with others. If my family owns something I won’t declare it. I didn’t declare anything I jointly owed with anyone.”

This is contrary to the position of the Constitution, which specifies the declaration of all assets, whether jointly or partly owned, PREMIUM TIMES’ reporters told Mr Obi. He said he was not aware of that provision of the law. Nevertheless, leaked records show Mr Obi is the sole ultimate beneficial owner of the offshore companies. So he lied in claiming to be a part-owner.

Yet, Mr Obi, who admitted to ignorance of the provisions of the constitution, which he swore to uphold twice as a two-term governor, claimed PREMIUM TIMES’ writers “displayed ignorance on matters of Trust and International Investment Practices.”

Even when the federal government introduced the Voluntary Assets and Income Declaration Scheme, VAIDS, and Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularization Scheme (VOARS) in 2017 and 2018, respectively, to encourage people like Mr Obi with previously undisclosed assets to declare and settle any possible tax liabilities, the ex-governor shunned the two schemes and continued with his opaque activities. The schemes were to curb illicit financial flows and those that complied were offered clearance from prosecution for tax evasion.

The Federal Inland Revenue Service told PREMIUM TIMES that the law “will take full course” regarding any tax offences committed by those exposed in the Pandora Papers.

The Pandora Papers, the biggest cross-border collaboration of journalists in history, is an investigation into a vast amount of previously hidden offshore companies, exposing secret assets, covert deals, and hidden fortunes of the super-rich – among them more than 130 billionaires – and the powerful, including more than 30 world leaders and hundreds of former and serving public officials.

The leaked records came from 14 offshore services firms from around the world that set up shell companies and other offshore nooks for clients like Mr Obi, who seek to shroud their financial activities, often suspicious, in secrecy.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/488797-pandora-papers-peter-obi-reacts-tries-to-mislead-nigerians.html?tztc=1

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Obi Can't Disqualify Tinubu Even If He Was Convicted In The US by PortHarcourtcit(m): 7:34am On Mar 22, 2023
BeardedmeatR:
Buhari had cabals but Tinubu is giving Nigerians a ruthless drug cartel. God forbid BATing!

wake up my guy... Just know that tinubu is your president for the next 4 years... It pains me so much when I see people being so shallow, gullible and dumb... What the heck... Ona de shame me well well... Ona just wan talk make im be like say ona don talk... Taaaaaar

1 Like

Re: Why Obi Can't Disqualify Tinubu Even If He Was Convicted In The US by abdul23(m): 8:00am On Mar 22, 2023
The only time I underrated Tinubu. He won a presidential election. The guy is an Enigma. He must have calculated all this move. He has overcame all this as an opposition.
You think he would bat an eyelid over all these petitions.
Re: Why Obi Can't Disqualify Tinubu Even If He Was Convicted In The US by Bluehole: 8:01am On Mar 22, 2023
PureFace1:
I see obedients celebrating the drug case Obi filed against Tinubu as if they have already won the case. Tinubu is a genuis and a Political Gods and too big for Obi to Swallow, you guys are really very naive and dull to think Tinubu hasn't considered every options. The quicker Obidients accept their lost the better it will be for them, Obi is just going to court to pacify his supporters there is no way out other than total defeat.

Some Obidients are saying Tinubu can't visit USA because of the case he have there but Festus Keyamo posted Tinubu's US Visa on Twitter last year and some people checked and verified that he visited US through his travel history.

People like Tinubu don't show their cards and won't care about the wrong perceptions you have of them in fact they like it if you perceive them wrongly and believe all the bad propaganda about them as long as they have calculated that your perception of them won't affect them much or the outcome they desire.

They will lead you on with that wrong perception and won't bother to correct it and make you act on that perception and show your card base on it after that they will show you their own card with prove to correct that perception but by then you would have been outplayed and outmaneuvered because you based all the power of your card on that wrong perception.

It is all just game and power play to him, Tinubu don't even bother about the drug case or give a damn about it and you think it is normal ?

https://prnigeria.com/2022/11/17/fact-check-tinubu/

Obi is going to be outplay again Obidients are just on a wild goose chase, Tinubu was only indicted in the US and not convicted.

Assuming he was even convicted in the US, the court can't disqualify him because the conviction is more than 10 years before the Election, he can only be disqualify if he was convicted less than 10 years before the presidential Election.

So what needs to happen to be disqualified from becoming president? according to Nigeria Constitution

Section 137 of the Constitution provides grounds for disqualification to the office of President.

A person shall not be qualified for office of the president if they;

Have dual citizenship, which goes against Section 28 of the Constitution.

Have been declared to be a lunatic or of unsound mind by any law in Nigeria.

Are under a death sentence, or sentenced to prison for fraud.

Are convicted of fraud or dishonesty less than ten years before the election date.

Have been declared bankrupt.

Haven’t resigned from any public office at least 30 days before the election.

Belong in a secret society.

Have been indicted for embezzlement or fraud by a judicial commission or tribunal.

Present a forged certificate to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

https://nigerian-constitution.com/chapter-6-part-1-section-137-disqualifications/

Please, when did Tinubu traveled to the US of A during his campaign and after that Visa released by Keyamo as you said?

Re: Why Obi Can't Disqualify Tinubu Even If He Was Convicted In The US by Mynd44: 8:12am On Mar 22, 2023
Okoroawusa:

Tinubu will be in the accused box in an election tribunal case?

Mynd44, where do you get these kids?
Me ke? I denounce and deny him.

1 Like

Re: Why Obi Can't Disqualify Tinubu Even If He Was Convicted In The US by Chindozy: 9:18am On Mar 22, 2023
PureFace1:
I see obedients celebrating the drug case Obi filed against Tinubu as if they have already won the case. Tinubu is a genuis and a Political Gods and too big for Obi to Swallow, you guys are really very naive and dull to think Tinubu hasn't considered every options. The quicker Obidients accept their lost the better it will be for them, Obi is just going to court to pacify his supporters

Some Obidients are saying Tinubu can't visit USA because of the case he have there but Festus Keyamo posted Tinubu's US Visa on Twitter last year and some people checked and verified that he visited US through his travel history.

People like Tinubu don't show their cards and won't care about the wrong perceptions you have of them in fact they like it if you perceive them wrongly and believe all the bad propaganda about them as long as they have calculated that your perception of them won't affect them much or the outcome they desire.

They will lead you on with that wrong perception and won't bother to correct it and make you act on that perception and show your card base on it after that they will show you their own card with prove to correct that perception but by then you would have been outplayed and outmaneuvered because you based all the power of your card on that wrong perception.

It is all just game and power play to him, Tinubu don't even bother about the drug case or give a damn about it and you think it is normal ?

https://prnigeria.com/2022/11/17/fact-check-tinubu/

Obi is going to be outplay again Obidients are just on a wild goose chase, Tinubu was only indicted in the US and not convicted.

Assuming he was even convicted in the US, the court can't disqualify him because the conviction is more than 10 years before the Election, he can only be disqualify if he was convicted less than 10 years before the presidential Election.

So what needs to happen to be disqualified from becoming president? according to Nigeria Constitution

Section 137 of the Constitution provides grounds for disqualification to the office of President.

A person shall not be qualified for office of the president if they;

Have dual citizenship, which goes against Section 28 of the Constitution.

Have been declared to be a lunatic or of unsound mind by any law in Nigeria.

Are under a death sentence, or sentenced to prison for fraud.

Are convicted of fraud or dishonesty less than ten years before the election date.

Have been declared bankrupt.

Haven’t resigned from any public office at least 30 days before the election.

Belong in a secret society.

Have been indicted for embezzlement or fraud by a judicial commission or tribunal.

Present a forged certificate to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

https://nigerian-constitution.com/chapter-6-part-1-section-137-disqualifications/

Why the hate? Calm down, the courts will decide.
Re: Why Obi Can't Disqualify Tinubu Even If He Was Convicted In The US by Okoroawusa: 9:52am On Mar 22, 2023
Mynd44:

No be una give them platform?
Re: Why Obi Can't Disqualify Tinubu Even If He Was Convicted In The US by hammerT: 11:22am On Mar 22, 2023
Mynd44:

Abeg FP the original thread, I first brought the story to nairaland

https://www.nairaland.com/7622555/tinubu-no-president-elect-what-he#121964878
Re: Why Obi Can't Disqualify Tinubu Even If He Was Convicted In The US by hammerT: 11:26am On Mar 22, 2023
mynd44, around 8am, I post that story, it is unfair to carry story posted at 11am to FP after they finish reading my one.
Re: Why Obi Can't Disqualify Tinubu Even If He Was Convicted In The US by TheDEVlLHimseIf: 11:28am On Mar 22, 2023
Ireportlive:
cool

Intresting ..

Obi knows he lost, some of his few intelligent followers know too

how's Musili 😂
Re: Why Obi Can't Disqualify Tinubu Even If He Was Convicted In The US by kcnwaigbo: 11:29am On Mar 22, 2023
ekolobaba:

Olodo, can’t you see IN NIGERIA in what you posted?

You be mumu. Chai
You sef no see any court or competent authority?

The DEA is a competent authority in the US
Re: Why Obi Can't Disqualify Tinubu Even If He Was Convicted In The US by hammerT: 11:31am On Mar 22, 2023
NIGERIA IS TOO BIG FOR A CRIMINAL, TO BE PRESIDENT, IT IS JUST NOT GOING TO WORK.

Re: Why Obi Can't Disqualify Tinubu Even If He Was Convicted In The US by hammerT: 11:33am On Mar 22, 2023
THE MAN IS STILL OPERATING WITH GANGS OF CRIMINAL.

WE CANNOT HAVE THAT AT THE CENTER, NIGERIA HAS DIVERSE INTEREST THAT WILL NOT TOLERATE IT.

THE CENTER WILL NOT HOLD.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Japan Invites 820,000 Nigerians, Other Foreign Workers To Tackle Labour Shortage / Drama Awaits As Lukman Defies Jonathan / Amaechi's Kinsmen Reels Out Jonathan's Developmental Projects In Rivers State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.