Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,500 members, 7,819,815 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:28 AM

Time To Stop Igbos From Voting All Over Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Time To Stop Igbos From Voting All Over Nigeria (458 Views)

U.S. Says APC Supporters Attacked, Prevented Igbo, Non-party Members From Voting / Why We Cannot Stop Igbos, Others From Settling In Lagos – Tinubu / Osun Rerun: Voters Without White Handkerchief Stopped From Voting (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Time To Stop Igbos From Voting All Over Nigeria by desmond2pk: 10:10am On Mar 22, 2023
In 2019, Buhari asaid a vote for Atiku was a vote for Igbos.
An unprecedented speech by a sitting President yet no uproar from any quarters. Buhari himself has used Igbo men as vice President twice in his bid to be the President of this country. Then, he didn't see Igbo votes as a bad thing.
In 2015 , Igbos voted for Jonathan whom they believe was doing better and would do a better job than Buhari. It attracted all manners of condemnation from different parts of the country. Igbo men and women were threatened, fortunately Buhari became the president, and another genocide was averted.
During his tenure, Buhari used many manners of negative words to define the Igbos , the most popular is 5% and Dot . He even threatened them with another civil war which made twitter to cancel @Mbuhari twitter handle .
It wasn't enough, a particular Lady in his administration called Lauretha Onochie is known for her anti Igbo rhetoric.
So it begs the question, is it a criminal offence for a particular section of the country to vote their choice candidates?
Fast forward to 2023 Presidential election. A Nigeria candidate from Igbo extraction happened to be a top contender. Unlike other candidates, he was called all manners of names regarding the tribe he came from. Even, Lauretha Onochie said, Obi can never be the President of Nigeria. He can be the President of Biafra. Many politicians took turns in bashing him because he is an Igbo man than focusing on the Nigerian problems.

Is there anything wrong with being Ian Igbo man in Nigeria ?
In just concluded 2023 gubernatorial. Igbos in lagos opted for labour party. Labour parry was never an Igbo parry and was not formed by Igbos. It became a plaform for Peter Obi to campaign for the Presidency. Here in Lagos, Igbos were warned by thugs not to vote for Labour party. The threats were carried out on Election day shamelessly by some party thugs that were from Apc. They went about in some quaters attacking Igbos and those that look like Igbos. It brought back a memory of 1966 igbo masscre where igbo people and people that looked like Igbos were killed im the streets of Nigeria. In the streets and in social med8a, they were accused of tryihg to take over lagos from the Yorubas. However, there was no candidiate of Igbo extraction in Lagos state. There is no law in Nigeria that forbids anyone to vote for any candidiate of their choices.
But it seems like there is an unwritten law against the Igbos to vote for any candidate of their choice especially when it goes against the choices of the north and the south west.

Written by Desmond Iyasara

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Time To Stop Igbos From Voting All Over Nigeria by thesicilian: 10:17am On Mar 22, 2023
All these kind of threads with inflammatory titles and contents should be deleted and the OPs banned by the moderators.

3 Likes

Re: Time To Stop Igbos From Voting All Over Nigeria by DaInferno(m): 10:20am On Mar 22, 2023
thesicilian:
All these kind of threads with inflammatory titles and contents should be deleted and the OPs banned by the moderators.
...deleted as soon as it drops. Very shitty kind of people, no different from fkn white racist/ supremacist. I'm neither Igbo nor yoruba but this nonsense this op just wrote is a poison to the minds of people amd society at large. Na only heading I read and mehn, I'm so pissed!

2 Likes

Re: Time To Stop Igbos From Voting All Over Nigeria by desmond2pk: 10:39am On Mar 22, 2023
DaInferno:
...deleted as soon as it drops. Very shitty kind of people, no different from fkn white racist/ supremacist. I'm neither Igbo nor yoruba but this nonsense this op just wrote is a poison to the minds of people amd society at large. Na only heading I read and mehn, I'm so pissed!

Learn to read contents
Re: Time To Stop Igbos From Voting All Over Nigeria by helinues: 10:41am On Mar 22, 2023
Are Igbo's the only tribe in Nigeria?

Why always them?

2 Likes

Re: Time To Stop Igbos From Voting All Over Nigeria by desmond2pk: 11:32am On Mar 22, 2023
helinues:
Are Igbo's the only tribe in Nigeria?

Why always them?

Ask those that hate them

1 Like

Re: Time To Stop Igbos From Voting All Over Nigeria by loosecanon50(m): 11:39am On Mar 22, 2023
It’s not your fault, na Seun I blame

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

PDP Reverses Suspension Of Ayim, Fayose, Others / Something Very Big Is About To Happen To Abia State. I Can Feel It / Nairaland Is So Petty

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.