Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,085 members, 7,814,758 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:11 PM

4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown (6141 Views)

My Room Transformation Progress With Cost Breakdown(Photos) / Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice / PHOTOS: House Construction With Plastic Bottles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by MackyNaija(m): 11:57pm On Mar 22, 2023
This thread aims to document a construction project I'll be financing and most importantly attach the associated costs.

Some mathematics will be involved as I pulled from various resources to arrive at approximate values for the construction stages. This will enable me properly monitor and track the progress in absentia.

Big thanks to the following individuals in no particular order as their threads were very helpful:

Asom.ArchitectNG https://www.nairaland.com/7537067/cost-estimate-building-4bedroom-bungalow
https://www.nairaland.com/7356080/construction-3bedroom-bungalow-bq-oron/16 (Your Oron build too clean)

say.dfact https://www.nairaland.com/3523256/how-build-comfortable-house-earning (If not for you, how we wan take build with our small change?)

EngrO.Yemi https://www.nairaland.com/4491449/how-calculate-number-blocks-cements (E be like say you be lecturer for one school)

abdul.wastecx https://www.nairaland.com/2162299/cost-laying-bungalow-foundation (Feb 23 post)
https://www.nairaland.com/2417678/how-build-low-budget-bungalow (Your mathematics fit wound person)

spyder.880 https://www.nairaland.com/2712462/making-low-budget-5-bedroom
https://www.nairaland.com/6447386/making-7-bedrooms-high-ceiling (when I grow up, I go like build this kind house)

erico.2k2 - if you can do it, I can do it too. https://www.nairaland.com/2804484/diy-construction-house-ph (I'll build gradually like you did)

and lastly Hoooge Thanks also to the multiple contributors on this massive thread https://www.nairaland.com/2550211/general-topic-thread-to-discuss-anything (una too much, I learned a lot!)

Let's go!

4 Likes

Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by MackyNaija(m): 12:03am On Mar 23, 2023
As it's widely known, the cost is dependent on what you want to build.

Floor Plan was done in multiple iterations, it cost a whole lot as I kept asking for it to be redone until the interior layout was achieved. Cost could range from 50k to 500k (make una no vex, other costs will be more precise). cheesy
We started in March 2022 and Completed the plan around January 2023. No rush, na small small we go design and build am. smiley

3 Likes

Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by MackyNaija(m): 12:13am On Mar 23, 2023
Stages to be accomplished in the near term:

1.1 Block molding - Done
1.2 Foundation to DPC - Ongoing
1.3 Soakaway and Filling
1.4 Oversite concrete
1.5 DPC to lintel
1.6 Lintel to roof
1.7 Roofing
1.8 Windows and doors (should I leave this for later?)

Then I rest.

Is there anything missing?
All comments are welcome, I have lots of questions to ask! smiley
Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by MackyNaija(m): 3:05am On Mar 24, 2023
1.1 Block Moulding
Find below the Guide and Plan for block moulding (laptop keeps forcing the spelling to be American).
Also attached is the approximate actual cost.

To dig water for South East na N1.5m - no jokes. angry Will face this project later.

Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by MackyNaija(m): 3:13am On Mar 24, 2023
Total moulded blocks came out to be almost 5,700.

Plan was for 9" all through at 25 pcs moulded per bag. Revised plan to build all interior walls with 6" blocks and all exterior walls with 9".
Ceiling will be higher than the 'normal'.

9" = 3594 pieces (divided by number of cement bags gives about 26 pcs/bag)
and
6" = 2094 pieces (divided by number of cement bags gives about 30 pcs/bag)

Overall a smooth experience aside from needing cash to pay for labour cost and to buy trips of sand resulting in numerous stops when we couldn't get notes.
Laborers finally supplied a bank account.

I paid for a Bill of Material/Cost Estimate but also followed this thread for 'dummies' and fully understood the calculations for blocks.
EngrO.Yemi https://www.nairaland.com/4491449/how-calculate-number-blocks-cements

Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by MackyNaija(m): 3:46am On Mar 24, 2023
How much do they sell 6 & 9-inch blocks in your area?
Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by dfrost: 11:01am On Mar 24, 2023
Following you conscientiously πŸ‘ŒπŸ€›πŸ™. Wishing you the best Macky.

1 Like

Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by MackyNaija(m): 2:40am On Mar 25, 2023
dfrost:
Following you conscientiously πŸ‘ŒπŸ€›πŸ™. Wishing you the best Macky.
Thank you dfrost.
Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by MackyNaija(m): 3:35am On Mar 25, 2023
1.2.1 Prep Work
Involved buying items I was told are must-haves. I asked why I had to buy materials professionals would use for their work? Shovels, head pans and barrows - I buy am o.
Tank used during block moulding fell and broke in two during that stage, it needed a replacement.

Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by MackyNaija(m): 3:52am On Mar 25, 2023
1.2.2 Setting Out and Excavation
Straight forward process, part materials bought (sand, stones and reinforcement rods). More materials will be purchased and brought onsite gradually.

I estimated 60x 12mm rods and 15x 8mm rods will be used for this stage (will be more if the reinforcement columns are made taller). Current target is to keep them just above the german floor.
abdul.wastecx https://www.nairaland.com/2162299/cost-laying-bungalow-foundation did a very good explanation.

Also check the threads from say.dfact.

Excavation was 90k, higher than all the sums I have seen on NL.

Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by MackyNaija(m): 4:00am On Mar 25, 2023
Note that there are no cost for onsite Engineer..
E get how we deh take run this construction.

I am related to the Site Supervisor (a professional) so I go give am lump sum if him fit deliver this house without stories.
Also, since it will be built as I earn, didn't wanna bring externals to come do work in bits.

As it stands, I have nooo ideaaaa at what stage this project will be paused but the plan is to roof, install windows and doors then take a break to recover. E no easy.

1 Like

Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by MackyNaija(m): 4:02am On Mar 25, 2023
Attached pictures are clipped from videos I am sent that's why they are of poor quality.

I have asked for strictly pictures, not videos.
Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by MackyNaija(m): 1:46pm On Mar 27, 2023
Still on the foundation digging, see picture 1 , top soil is 'normal' and below 4inches is hard all the way.

Footing or blinding was completed on Sunday. Costs coming in.

Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by MackyNaija(m): 1:50pm On Mar 27, 2023
Dug foundation depth was 600mm, blinding thickness was 150mm minimum, some places were about 200mm of mix.

Reinforcement Bases and Columns are 23 in total.

Read Say.dfact's thread; these dimensions/specs heavily affects costs.

1 Like

Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by MackyNaija(m): 3:30pm On Mar 27, 2023
See the Cost for Blinding/Footing below. Cost not bad for the work done.

Next will be setting 9" blocks from Footing to Damp Proof Course (DPC). 5 courses planned but it might end up being 4 courses.

Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by greenermodels: 8:12pm On Mar 27, 2023
MackyNaija:
As it's widely known, the cost is dependent on what you want to build.

Floor Plan was done in multiple iterations, it cost a whole lot as I kept asking for it to be redone until the interior layout was achieved. Cost could range from 50k to 500k (make una no vex, other costs will be more precise). cheesy
We started in March 2022 and Completed the plan around January 2023. No rush, na small small we go design and build am. smiley
This plan make sense die, I would redesign it to my taste later, please where in the southeast is this project and what's your estimate for everything? ( I think you're overlooking the cost of finishings such as tiles, plumbing fixtures, electricals etc, that's where most money goes into(plus roofing if going for a high roof).

1 Like

Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by MackyNaija(m): 6:22am On Mar 29, 2023
greenermodels:
This plan make sense die, I would redesign it to my taste later, please where in the southeast is this project and what's your estimate for everything? ( I think you're overlooking the cost of finishings such as tiles, plumbing fixtures, electricals etc, that's where most money goes into(plus roofing if going for a high roof).
Thanks greenermodels, location is my hometown in Abia state.
There is no estimate and no time-frame to build this, I'll keep funding till it gets completed but I just need to ensure any money spent goes where it's intended. In my head, N15m should take this project very very far.

Nah, not overlooking anything. I have no fear, I just respect the fact that building a house is not a small endeavor but one can never finish what you don't start.
Na so we take start this waka. Small small, it will be completed afterall if was an empty parcel of land this time last month. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by MackyNaija(m): 6:27am On Mar 29, 2023
Also, I'll try my best to use good quality finishing.

Wetin deh hungry me, I no sure say I fit afford am. grin
Imagine marble floors, all baths and kitchen tiled top to bottom with high quality tiles, crown moulding and base boards on all walls, solar energy generation and huge battery banks... smiley

2 Likes

Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by MackyNaija(m): 6:30am On Mar 29, 2023
1.3 Foundation Footing to DPC

In other news, Construction is still ongoing. Block laying to DPC.

My target was straight walls; seems it was achieved. wink

1 Like

Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by MackyNaija(m): 6:43am On Mar 29, 2023
Plan dimensions are approximately 13m x 18m if you remove the front chilling spot.
Also take note of the irregular plan shape.

Columns locations were placed this way:
- every corner of the house
- most wall distances greater than 2.5m but not exceeding either 6 or 7m.

2 Likes

Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by greenermodels: 8:31am On Mar 29, 2023
MackyNaija:

Thanks greenermodels, location is my hometown in Abia state.
There is no estimate and no time-frame to build this, I'll keep funding till it gets completed but I just need to ensure any money spent goes where it's intended. In my head, N15m should take this project very very far.

Nah, not overlooking anything. I have no fear, I just respect the fact that building a house is not a small endeavor but one can never finish what you don't start.
Na so we take start this waka. Small small, it will be completed afterall if was an empty parcel of land this time last month. cheesy
you have already done your research very well, 15 million would surely finish the house with modest finishing, this excludes the cost of any external works like paving stones.
Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by MackyNaija(m): 12:39pm On Mar 29, 2023
greenermodels:
you have already done your research very well, 15 million would surely finish the house with modest finishing, this excludes the cost of any external works like paving stones.
Plan is to use something like this below/concrete stamping.
Can't deal with paving stones falling apart or grass growing in between them.

Multiple cost cutting measures are planned (still unsure what to do) chief of them are parapet and ceiling pop - both beautiful but cost a lot.

Still I believe in "buy once and cry once". Just do it.

3 Likes

Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by greenermodels: 2:43pm On Mar 29, 2023
MackyNaija:

Plan is to use something like this below/concrete stamping.
Can't deal with paving stones falling apart or grass growing in between them.

Multiple cost cutting measures are planned (still unsure what to do) chief of them are parapet and ceiling pop - both beautiful but cost a lot.

we know have aluminum parapets that cost almost nothing extra for the same look,You can limit POP to only the living/dining room, a good quality PVC or even patterned fibre cement board can be used in other areas of the house.
Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by MackyNaija(m): 2:14am On Mar 30, 2023
greenermodels:
we know have aluminum parapets that cost almost nothing extra for the same look,You can limit POP to only the living/dining room, a good quality PVC or even patterned fibre cement board can be used in other areas of the house.
Instead of doing the aluminum or styrofoam parapet, I'll do the regular concrete one and cry once about the cost cheesy

POP in the living and dining rooms are more likely to happen than the parapet. Not too expensive.

Those fiber boards will not happen, too ugly with 2" plank running end to end to hold them in place. cheesy
Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by MackyNaija(m): 2:38am On Mar 30, 2023
See below my plan for skirting or base boards; aluminum material.
Available in Nigeria from jabi.sod

Then I also add crown moulding. Got a picture from lowe.s

2 Likes

Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by greenermodels: 3:28am On Mar 30, 2023
MackyNaija:

Instead of doing the aluminum or styrofoam parapet, I'll do the regular concrete one and cry once about the cost cheesy

POP in the living and dining rooms are more likely to happen than the parapet. Not too expensive.

Those fiber boards will not happen, too ugly with 2" plank running end to end to hold them in place. cheesy
why don't you like aluminum parapet?
Iol @fibre boards, I'll send you a picture later of a tastefully done patterned fibre board later. You have really done your research.
Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by MackyNaija(m): 9:57pm On Mar 30, 2023
You are sounding like you are referring to something different. grin

Isn't it the regular long span roofing sheet molded into shape?
Don't trust the durability, styrofoam might perform better.

The house will be used periodically so it needs good protection from break-ins. This is where concrete parapet wins.
My dream of a parapet is uninspiring, 90 deg, 2-step flat out.
Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by dfrost: 10:15pm On Mar 30, 2023
MackyNaija:

Macky!!! πŸ€£πŸ€Έβ€β™‚οΈπŸ€›πŸ‘ŒπŸ™ŒπŸ’ͺ me likey that phrase.

1 Like

Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by MackyNaija(m): 6:53pm On Apr 04, 2023
Traveled for work but I'm back and Project is still in progress.
Damp proof course - complete
10x12ft Soakaway digging - In progress
Laterite filling - In progress
Initial plumbing - Planned

Pictures: back, front and soakway.

2 Likes

Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by MackyNaija(m): 4:20pm On Apr 08, 2023
Soakaway - complete. Used to refill the foundation, possible saved us a minimum 4 trips for laterite.
Laterite filling is almost complete, having delays with the plumbing work.

Added pictures from the backside, that's the best way I can identify this construction without confusion.

Costing coming soon, the number of blocks used for the foundation is blowing my mind! Over 2300, how's that even possible?
Anyway, I'll find out if this was inflated when we start raising blocks after oversite concrete.

There are multiple step-ups like for the dining area and also the entry chilling area so not everything was 5 courses for DPC.

Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by MackyNaija(m): 5:09pm On Apr 08, 2023
Keeping all the costing separate over the days it was done as it confuses me too.
We are building slower than normal so quality can be properly controlled.

Per naija standards, there are multiple 'unnecessary' costs in this construction that could have saved minimum of N500k:
- too many pillars; influences rebar, cement, water and labor costs. I have seen bungalows on nairaland without pillars even at the building corners
- external pillar design, see red marks below (I am also unsure of what this will turn out to be)
- damp proof material
- brc mesh
- full oversite

All of this has caused delays and increased cost.

Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by MackyNaija(m): 5:14pm On Apr 08, 2023
External pillar design below.
I think this will give an appearance of a larger column. Will see how this turns out.

I now clearly understand why no two construction projects cost the same, requirements determine a whole lot.

Laterite filling - Ongoing

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lovely Home 5bedroom Fully Detached Duplex @ Ikota Villa#no Place Like Home / Cost Of Building Per Square Meter / 3 Plots Available For Sale In Bogije. Heyden Park Estate Phase 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.