Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,694 members, 7,820,424 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:33 PM

4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown (6318 Views)

My Room Transformation Progress With Cost Breakdown(Photos) / Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice / PHOTOS: House Construction With Plastic Bottles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by MackyNaija(m): 3:53am On Apr 21, 2023
Clarification: Soakaway digging done, casting undone.
Will dig a little more on all sides to get fresh soil before casting.

Major interest now is to get to the roofing beam. Rain wan finish the workers for site and it's slowing down work.
Yet to see the report but I am guessing they'll still be paid day rate as long as they show up.

The journey continues:

1.1 Block molding - Done
1.2 Foundation to DPC - Done
1.3 Soakaway and Filling - Done
1.4 Oversite concrete - Done
1.5 DPC to lintel - Ongoing
1.6 Lintel to roof
1.7 Roofing
Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by MackyNaija(m): 4:13am On Apr 21, 2023
Racing to lintel.
Burial this weekend will stop work, next week has a better weather though so we should be good.

Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by Olumighty123(m): 4:29am On Apr 21, 2023
MackyNaija:
This thread aims to document a construction project I'll be financing and most importantly attach the associated costs.

Some mathematics will be involved as I pulled from various resources to arrive at approximate values for the construction stages. This will enable me properly monitor and track the progress in absentia.

Big thanks to the following individuals in no particular order as their threads were very helpful:

Asom.ArchitectNG https://www.nairaland.com/7537067/cost-estimate-building-4bedroom-bungalow
https://www.nairaland.com/7356080/construction-3bedroom-bungalow-bq-oron/16 (Your Oron build too clean)

say.dfact https://www.nairaland.com/3523256/how-build-comfortable-house-earning (If not for you, how we wan take build with our small change?)

EngrO.Yemi https://www.nairaland.com/4491449/how-calculate-number-blocks-cements (E be like say you be lecturer for one school)

abdul.wastecx https://www.nairaland.com/2162299/cost-laying-bungalow-foundation (Feb 23 post)
https://www.nairaland.com/2417678/how-build-low-budget-bungalow (Your mathematics fit wound person)

spyder.880 https://www.nairaland.com/2712462/making-low-budget-5-bedroom
https://www.nairaland.com/6447386/making-7-bedrooms-high-ceiling (when I grow up, I go like build this kind house)

erico.2k2 - if you can do it, I can do it too. https://www.nairaland.com/2804484/diy-construction-house-ph (I'll build gradually like you did)

and lastly Hoooge Thanks also to the multiple contributors on this massive thread https://www.nairaland.com/2550211/general-topic-thread-to-discuss-anything (una too much, I learned a lot!)

Let's go!

Good to see you around, you left the travel thread for us, LOL, trust you're doing great? Regards
Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by eziokwunwoko(m): 10:07pm On Apr 23, 2023
Goodevening Sir
Are you saying 89 bags of cement was used for DCP
Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by MackyNaija(m): 11:07pm On Apr 23, 2023
eziokwunwoko:
Goodevening Sir
Are you saying 89 bags of cement was used for DCP

At the beginning I said the floor area was 13m x 18m = 234 m2
89 + 6 = 94 total bags (6 bags remained from the earlier stage).

Months earlier I had used 233 m2 for a calculation I did (check abdul's links I posted at the beginning)

See a summary:
- Floor area is 233 m2 x 0.1m = 23.3 m3 (assuming 4inch oversite thickness which is 100mm or 0.1m)

- Divide the concrete volume needed by 7 to get the resulting number of cement required for the project. 23.30 m3 / 7 = 3.3 m3

- 1 bag of Cement = 0.035m3 (a 50kg bag of cement is equal to 0.034472m3)

- Total cement qty needed = Floorplan vol / one bag portland cement = 3.33 m3 / 0.035 m3 = 95 bags

So actual and calculated are almost the same. I care less about sand and gravel because it's either a full truck is bought or it's not, no jipiti for those.
This is how I verify quantities and payments for almost everything as I am absent.
I trust my site Architect also so his reporting are accurate.
Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by MackyNaija(m): 11:11pm On Apr 23, 2023
Olumighty123:

Good to see you around, you left the travel thread for us, LOL, trust you're doing great? Regards
Chairmo, I full ground o. Doing fine too.
Learned a lot from this section so it's my turn to give back, there's plenty info for building on NL but it's in a million different threads.
Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by freshvine(f): 5:54pm On Apr 24, 2023
Following...
Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by MackyNaija(m): 1:32am On Apr 25, 2023
1.5 DPC to lintel - Still Ongoing
Any estimated duration will be multiplied by 2 or 2.5, the speed slow die cheesy

Regular threads I have been following show neck breaking speed, if you are supervising this yourself... na snail speed o cheesy

Pictures showing:
Back side at 10 courses awaiting lintel beam (all round chaining)
Front side gradually getting there.

1 Like

Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by greenermodels: 7:23pm On Apr 25, 2023
MackyNaija:
Any estimated duration will be multiplied by 2 or 2.5, the speed slow die cheesy

Regular threads I have been following show neck breaking speed, if you are supervising this yourself... na snail speed o cheesy

Pictures showing:
why ten courses instead of nine? Four before window level and additional five to lintel level?
Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by Rany4all(m): 8:53pm On Apr 25, 2023
greenermodels:
why ten courses instead of nine? Four before window level and additional five to lintel level?
I believe it's just a matter of personal preference. I did 11 courses before lintel for the external walls of my build, but 9 for the internal walls.

The high windows have a certain appeal and they come in quite handy in terms of ventilation if you have high fence walls close to the building.

2 Likes

Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by MackyNaija(m): 12:34am On Apr 26, 2023
greenermodels:
Rany has explained some of this.

1. I need a high ceiling but want the lintel beam to carry less courses.
10 before and 3 after instead of 9 before and 4 after.

2. I am planning on using tall windows of 7 courses for the living room (see the attached picture).
If I do 9 to lintel, window will start at level 2 which might be too low.
So 10 to lintel allows us start the window at Level 3.

Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by MackyNaija(m): 12:37am On Apr 26, 2023
Rany4all:
I believe it's just a matter of personal preference. I did 11 courses before lintel for the external walls of my build, but 9 for the internal walls.

The high windows have a certain appeal and they come in quite handy in terms of ventilation if you have high fence walls close to the building.
You get mind o cheesy
Doing 10 to lintel and I am feeling it will come falling down.

What did you do post lintel?
Is it possible to use lintel as roof beam? Just thinking... smiley
Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by Rany4all(m): 5:44am On Apr 26, 2023
MackyNaija:

Rany has explained some of this.

1. I need a high ceiling but want the lintel beam to carry less courses.
10 before and 3 after instead of 9 before and 4 after.

2. I am planning on using tall windows of 7 courses for the living room (see the attached picture).
If I do 9 to lintel, window will start at level 2 which might be too low.
So 10 to lintel allows us start the window at Level 3.
On the bolded...I've seen builds that have windows, especially living room windows, starting from DPC, so starting from level 2 isn't necessarily too low. I actually started my living room windows after 2 blocks and lintel after 11, so the windows are 9 blocks high (same height as the doors).

See attached pics below

2 Likes

Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by Rany4all(m): 5:55am On Apr 26, 2023
MackyNaija:

You get mind o cheesy
Doing 10 to lintel and I am feeling it will come falling down.

What did you do post lintel?
Is it possible to use lintel as roof beam? Just thinking... smiley
Post lintel external wall was 1 block followed by concrete fascia beam which was 2 blocks high. Post lintel internal wall was 4 blocks followed by roofing beam.

Of course, I believe it's possible to use lintel as roofing beam even though I haven't seen one before. What I've seen though is lintel serving as decking beam.
Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by kaze4blues(m): 7:45am On Apr 27, 2023
MackyNaija:

Pictures showing:

Thanks for the updates. I’m doing a four bedroom as well at moment. Finished with oversite concrete. Preparing for block setting to lintel.

On estimate, what number of blocks did you need to reach lintel?

My architect insist on size nine because the land abit damp. What do you think about this?

Thank you
Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by MackyNaija(m): 12:34am On Apr 29, 2023
kaze4blues:

Thanks for the updates. I’m doing a four bedroom as well at moment. Finished with oversite concrete. Preparing for block setting to lintel.

My architect insist on size nine because the land abit damp. What do you think about this?

Thank you
I'll share the block figures by tomorrow.

What did the Architect say the correlation is between 9 inches and keeping your house dry?

My understanding is that all blocks (sandcrete) will soak up water if exposed to water.
- high foundation so your house is not soaking in a flood will prevent this
- Isolation of ground water from the superstructure will prevent this (use of damp proof material)
- Sloping the floors away from the sides of the building will also prevent this.
Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by MackyNaija(m): 10:16pm On Apr 29, 2023
kaze4blues:

Thank you
I just saw you asked about the estimate; estimate was 5,600 including the foundation blocks but we built a higher foundation than planned so we used more blocks there.

The actual quantity stacked from oversite to lintel was 3,674 (10 blocks to lintel, my windows are a little larger than normal also).
I earlier gave foundation qty stacked as about 2,300.

We'll still use some more for 3 courses after lintel. Will mold more if it's needed.

See costing for 1.5 Oversite to Lintel

2 Likes

Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by MackyNaija(m): 10:18pm On Apr 29, 2023
Lintel and Columns casting in progress, the rains have slowed us to only 2 or 3 working days weekly.
Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by MackyNaija(m): 4:32am On May 05, 2023
MackyNaija:

The actual quantity stacked from oversite to lintel was 3,674 (10 blocks to lintel, my windows are a little larger than normal also).

See costing for 1.5 Oversite to Lintel
I had mentioned 1bag of cement can stack 70 to 90 blocks.
Just read another thread that says it can be 65 to 75 blocks. This is very likely as this stage hovered around 70 blocks per bag.

Lintel construction ongoing, I have officially stopped checking the days...
Labor and weather delays have crippled us.

Workers show up whenever they feel like it so I have adapted to work with them that way. cheesy
I also started giving monthly bonus pay to the most frequent worker - a mason won for April. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by MackyNaija(m): 4:38am On May 05, 2023
Borehole planned as one of the next steps.
Quote is N2m embarassed

Cost looked like a joke at the beginning but that's what it costs here.

Available borehole drilling rig company has a reputation of not wanting to dig further after hitting first spout of water; people complain the water is unclean and can barely be used after spending so much.

Intend to find a different company hours away from the building site.
Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by Olumighty123(m): 8:51am On May 05, 2023
MackyNaija:
Borehole planned as one of the next steps.
Quote is N2m embarassed

Cost looked like a joke at the beginning but that's what it costs here.

Available borehole drilling rig company has a reputation of not wanting to dig further after hitting first spout of water; people complain the water is unclean and can barely be used after spending so much.

Intend to find a different company hours away from the building site.

Well done boss, I wish you speedy build. Let's handle your everything cctv to electric fence to intercom.
Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by MackyNaija(m): 1:42am On May 09, 2023
Olumighty123:

Well done boss, I wish you speedy build. Let's handle your everything cctv to electric fence to intercom.
The problem is what it will be powered with.
Electricity is one of the greatest headaches I have going into this. The matter tire me.

That's why I am doing many windows of larger sizes to make use of daylight.
Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by MackyNaija(m): 1:47am On May 09, 2023
1.1 Block molding - Done
1.2 Foundation to DPC - Done
1.3 Soakaway Digging and Foundation Filling - Done
1.4 Oversite concrete - Done
1.5 DPC to lintel - Done

Modified 1.6 to become lintel as a standalone phase
1.6 Lintel - Done

1.7 Lintel to Roof beam - Next stage
1.8 Roofing

Pictures showing:
External view
Living room
Interior Walkway
Back side

3 Likes

Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by MackyNaija(m): 2:34am On May 09, 2023
Soakaway construction is Ongoing by the side.
I'll try to separate it's materials from every other thing but that might be hard.

Labour cost only for all the block and column works will be N100k, casting the top slab NOT included in this price.

Previous threads have said a Soakaway usually costs around N400k for everything (all labour and materials starting from digging to final top slab).
Still depends on size, mine is larger than I thought it will be.

I no deh price labour too much or not at all, they work hard so their pricing is fair.

1 Like

Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by Olumighty123(m): 1:29pm On May 09, 2023
MackyNaija:

Electricity is one of the greatest headaches I have going into this. The matter tire me.

I get it sir. but then again, you can always go solar.
Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by greenermodels: 5:20pm On May 09, 2023
MackyNaija:

consider adding solar to the electric design, the changeover switch becomes three ways, Nepa,gen and solar, you can install the solar later when you can afford it.
Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by MackyNaija(m): 7:06pm On May 09, 2023
Olumighty123:

I get it sir. but then again, you can always go solar.
I even hate thinking about it.
I have been looking at the design from day1 we started building and thinking of where a battery pack will be kept, never planned to do solar but it's wiring is very likely so as to make the build 'future-proof'.

greenermodels:
consider adding solar to the electric design, the changeover switch becomes three ways, Nepa,gen and solar, you can install the solar later when you can afford it.
This will definitely be done during wiring as you stated but actual solar hardware will be in the distant future.
Never knew of 3-way changeovers, thanks for the heads-up.

1 Like

Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by MackyNaija(m): 7:16pm On May 09, 2023
1.6 Lintel and Columns costing - Closed
Lengths of about 190m of lintel chain and 115m columns. Maths incoming...
Bought
12mm x106 pcs = N530k
8mm x43 pcs = N129k

These iron rods don kill me! grin

Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by MackyNaija(m): 4:42pm On May 10, 2023
The actual length of partitions dug for the foundation was 53p, this also translates to the length for a foundation beam or lintel full chaining.

1. For the Lintel.
1p = 12ft, 53p = 194m
The kitchen store has been eliminated, this gives us 3m less length
New total = 191m as chaining distance/length of beam

1 Qty 12mm thickness rod was measured as 11m length

191m / 11m = 17.4 pieces 12mm rod will run the full length of the lintel
4 qty rods needed for a full reinforcement; 17.0 x 4 = 68 pcs in total needed for entire beam

2. For the Columns.
Height from current DPC state to 3 courses above lintel = 4.4m approx
Rod length = 11m, when split into two this gives 5.5m each

A column will now need 4 sides with rods, height 5.5m each
= 2 qty 11m length 12mm-rods to complete our reinforced columns

23 total columns as designed = 23 x 2 qty 12mm-rod = 46 pcs in total needed for the entire columns

Grand Total 12mm rods = 68 + 46 = 114 pieces total
Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by MackyNaija(m): 4:56pm On May 10, 2023
Now we bought 106 pieces which is 8pcs below the 114 pieces calculated/planned.
Good news shebi? smiley

Why didn't we buy 8pcs or did the Architect cut corners?

I looked at the pictures and saw the front chilling spot is yet to be done; both the columns/pillars and beams/lintel.

Running calculation estimates to see if all is well:
Beam Dimensions are 3m +5m + 3m = 11m lintel length
4 qty x 11m rods will be needed for reinforcement

Column Dimensions are 4.4m high min for each, we have 2 columns
qty-2 11m rods cut in two (as explained above) will complete one columns. We repeat this for second column.
qty 4 x11m rods will finish both columns.

Grand Total = 8 rods no longer missing... QED
No mind me, I too like book cheesy

1 Like

Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by MackyNaija(m): 5:53pm On May 10, 2023
Making progress:
Backside pictures showing Before and After.

Re: 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown by kaze4blues(m): 6:46pm On May 11, 2023
MackyNaija:

I'll share the block figures by tomorrow.

What did the Architect say the correlation is between 9 inches and keeping your house dry?

My understanding is that all blocks (sandcrete) will soak up water if exposed to water.
- high foundation so your house is not soaking in a flood will prevent this
- Isolation of ground water from the superstructure will prevent this (use of damp proof material)
- Sloping the floors away from the sides of the building will also prevent this.

Thanks for sharing.

The foundation is seven blocks deep. We also used a damp proof material together with the oversite concrete.

This is my first building experience and I’m finding it interesting. Planning is different from when work is being done.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2 PLOTS OF LAND @ GOLDEN PEARL ESTATE (GAZETTED) SHAGOTEDO LAGOS. / Shipping Container Homes- A Solution To Affordable Housing In Nigeria / The Available Plots Of Land For Sale On The Lagos Mainland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.