Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,778 members, 7,817,206 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:13 AM

Why Were Igbos Leaving Lagos Post June 12? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Were Igbos Leaving Lagos Post June 12? (1488 Views)

If Shettima And Ganduje Were Igbos.... / Keke And Motorcycle Riders Leaving Lagos After Ban By The State Govt (Video) / Food For Thought: If Ganduje And Sanusi Were Igbos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Were Igbos Leaving Lagos Post June 12? by absoluteSuccess: 4:08pm On Mar 23, 2023
After the June 12 annulment and the Epetedo declaration, people who were old enough at that time will recall that the Igbo began to leave Lagos in droves, some getting involved in accident due to the traffic down east, yet its not Christmas when we do have Igbo movement homewards.

What was said then was that the Igbo were going for new yam festival. I was a secondary school student at the time, the country was so hard that there was no paper currency in circulation and people were spending coins. there was no day without rioting and protest, with heroes of democracy fighting Abacha. Tinubu was one such.

Our brothers were leaving us at this crucial time because, June 12 is Yoruba and Hausa show. at that point in time, Lagos was not "no man's land", it was part and parcel of Yorubaland and its not worth the empathy of the Ndigbo who must move homeward, because well, its very clear that its a matter of time before another civil war break out.

What does the Igbo movement portend? its a calculative expectation, a wrong signal that says it is left for the Yoruba to face the Hausa and they already have a battlefield big enough for the show. Who knows why Abacha was stockpiling money offshore in every country you can think of? At the end, the Yoruba endure and lost their own, MKO.

The recent event of the gubernatorial election simply implies that if the Yoruba were in the position of the Igbos in Lagos, the Igbos will do exactly the same thing Yoruba thugs did. None of the people do stand in the gap for the other as history have shown, as Abiola equally won a landslide election across naija but who campaign for the annulment?

It might be very fresh what the Yoruba thug did, but it is not just started of recent.

Association for better Nigeria, over to you.

4 Likes

Re: Why Were Igbos Leaving Lagos Post June 12? by absoluteSuccess: 4:09pm On Mar 23, 2023
history can always remind us where we are coming from, so that nobody will claim being innocent. Tribalism is well entrenched in Nigeria. Don't call for change, it begins with you.

1 Like

Re: Why Were Igbos Leaving Lagos Post June 12? by jimyjames(m): 4:35pm On Mar 23, 2023
absoluteSuccess:
After the June 12 annulment and the Epetedo declaration, people who were old enough at that time will recall that the Igbo began to leave Lagos in droves, some getting involved in accident due to the traffic down east, yet its not Christmas when we do have Igbo movement homewards.

What was said then was that the Igbo were going for new yam festival. I was a secondary school student at the time, the country was so hard that there was no paper currency in circulation and people were spending coins. there was no day without rioting and protest, with heroes of democracy fighting Abacha. Tinubu was one such.

Our brothers were leaving us at this crucial time because, June 12 is Yoruba and Hausa show. at that point in time, Lagos was not "no man's land", it was part and parcel of Yorubaland and its not worth the empathy of the Ndigbo who must move homeward, because well, its very clear that its a matter of time before another civil war break out.

What does the Igbo movement portend? its a calculative expectation, a wrong signal that says it is left for the Yoruba to face the Hausa and they already have a battlefield big enough for the show. Who knows why Abacha was stockpiling money offshore in every country you can think of? At the end, the Yoruba endure and lost their own, MKO.

The recent event of the gubernatorial election simply implies that if the Yoruba were in the position of the Igbos in Lagos, the Igbos will do exactly the same thing Yoruba thugs did. None of the people do stand in the gap for the other as history have shown, as Abiola equally won a landslide election across naija but who campaign for the annulment?

It might be very fresh what the Yoruba thug did, but it is not just started of recent.

Association for better Nigeria, over to you.

Where were yoluba's in 1966 when Igbos were hunted down and killed all over Nigeria including yoruba land , 100 of thousands of Igbos were killed all over including yoruba land , The yoluba's were even helping northerners to hunt and kill Igbos in their region , and after that Yoruba's still matched with the northerners to south east to finish Igbos up , awolowo was one of the hero's of that war for what he did to Igbos

7 Likes

Re: Why Were Igbos Leaving Lagos Post June 12? by flokii: 4:36pm On Mar 23, 2023
They knew that Yorubas had been pushed to the wall and a civil war was imminent.. stealing M.K.O Abiola's mandate was the height of injustice in Nigeria. IBB had to hand over to a Yoruba man Ernest Shonekan to quell the rising tension but still Yorubas stood their ground that they wanted M.K.O.. If Military can bow to Yorubas joint force, which tribe can threaten us??

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Were Igbos Leaving Lagos Post June 12? by Pierocash(m): 4:39pm On Mar 23, 2023
I still don't get what the offence of the igbos in Lagos is. Nobody is sane and reasonable enough to really tell us what their offence is.

That they do not have right to vote or what exactly is it? Or that there is an Igbo man in the ballot or what exactly.

Seeing people justifying the attack on igbos for only trying to perform their Civic responsibility speaks volumes of the mental state of many yoruba youths. Ethnicity ,and bigotry is a mental illness. Of a truth MC Oluomo is a reflection of the mentality of the average Yoruba youth.

In summary,they are sick.

Look at the people representing them- convicts. From Tinubu,Gbaja, Sanwo Olu, Abiodun, Oluomo etc.

Fraud and criminality is a default lifestyle of these people

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Were Igbos Leaving Lagos Post June 12? by absoluteSuccess: 5:05pm On Mar 23, 2023
jimyjames:

Where were yoluba's in 1966 when Igbos were hunted down and killed all over Nigeria including yoruba land , 100 of thousands of Igbos were killed all over including yoruba land , The yoluba's were even helping northerners to hunt and kill Igbos in their region , and after that Yoruba's still matched with the northerners to south east to finish Igbos up , awolowo was one of the hero's of that war for what he did to Igbos

the yorubas and Igbos were brothers, many times they quarrel to the point of fighting a war betweem themselves but somehow, they often manage the situation. There must be a reason the Igbos order out of stock all the cutlasses in John holt at some point in time, during the 60s but whatever become of that?

The Yoruba are not bloodthirsty and vengeful. Even in the recent crisis, no Igbo man was killed, yes there are pockets of injured people here and there. The guy that lost his life was a Yoruba man and has anyone demand a pound of flesh? So its still a war of love, your candidate did not win be koko. cheesy cheesy

As to the 66 killings, I mean the northerners are hot blooded people who revered their leaders the way Igbo revers Ojukwu. Nzeogu killed these men and the Igbo population at that time threw caution to the wind up north, celebrating the event as though angel Gabriel slaughtering the devil in their cartoon.

Ho w much can you provoke the bani Hausa? Its always after landmark event and Igbo dispositions to their victory or losses that often bring the spillover. So we must all learn from history to be our brothers; keeper and not expose each other to open ridicule. E go still beta if we get patience.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Were Igbos Leaving Lagos Post June 12? by absoluteSuccess: 5:16pm On Mar 23, 2023
Pierocash:
I still don't get what the offence of the igbos in Lagos is. Nobody is sane and reasonable enough to really tell us what their offence is.

That they do not have right to vote or what exactly is it? Or that there is an Igbo man in the ballot or what exactly.

Seeing people justifying the attack on igbos for only trying to perform their Civic responsibility speaks volumes of the mental state of many yoruba youths. Ethnicity ,and bigotry is a mental illness. Of a truth MC Oluomo is a reflection of the mentality of the average Yoruba youth.

Look at the people representing them- convicts. From Tinubu,Gbaja, Sanwo Olu, Abiodun, Oluomo etc.

Well if this is your conclusion, its not just formed dear brother, and more reasons they work to stop you. At least you can't choose a better candidate for them once you recognize their leadership inclinations. Respect begot respect bro, let a well grounded Igbo man show up tomorrow in Lagos and try to be a governor, if he's worth the mettle, he will be.

I'm partly Egun and Yoruba, there was a tribal issue in my community between these people, but I don't take side, let the court judge. But I will never ridicule any of the tribe as i hold both in high regard and that seems to have helped me with complete outsiders too. Lets honor and respect every people we come across in life because we can't always tell.

Its not because of those people, its because of yourself, so that you don't give yourself unnecessary stress.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Were Igbos Leaving Lagos Post June 12? by helinues: 5:19pm On Mar 23, 2023
Who took the election petition to court for annulment.

Sinners have always been runneth when no one pursueth

2 Likes

Re: Why Were Igbos Leaving Lagos Post June 12? by Freethinker87: 5:23pm On Mar 23, 2023
The same reason the Western region was called the wild west. It hasn't changed much though.

1 Like

Re: Why Were Igbos Leaving Lagos Post June 12? by jimyjames(m): 5:28pm On Mar 23, 2023
absoluteSuccess:

the yorubas and Igbos were brothers, many times they quarrel to the point of fighting a war betweem themselves but somehow, they often manage the situation. There must be a reason the Igbos order out of stock all the cutlasses in John holt at some point in time, during the 60s but whatever become of that?

The Yoruba are not bloodthirsty and vengeful. Even in the recent crisis, no Igbo man was killed, yes there are pockets of injured people here and there. The guy that lost his life was a Yoruba man and has anyone demand a pound of flesh? So its still a war of love, your candidate did not win be koko. cheesy cheesy

As to the 66 killings, I mean the northerners are hot blooded people who revered their leaders the way Igbo revers Ojukwu. Nzeogu killed these men and the Igbo population at that time threw caution to the wind up north, celebrating the event as though angel Gabriel slaughtering the devil in their cartoon.

Ho w much can you provoke the bani Hausa? Its always after landmark event and Igbo dispositions to their victory or losses that often bring the spillover. So we must all learn from history to be our brothers; keeper and not expose each other to open ridicule. E go still beta if we get patience.
Nzeogwu's coup was celebrated all over Nigeria including in the north until the Yoruba and British Media who never liked the Igbos turned it , into an igbo coup , igbo agenda , and we know how the Yoruba's helped the northerners carrying out a genocide on the Igbos before and during the war
Re: Why Were Igbos Leaving Lagos Post June 12? by absoluteSuccess: 5:30pm On Mar 23, 2023
during the buildup to the presidential election, i was with my neighbour and he was buying stuff from a shop owned by an igbo guy on the road to the estate, my neighbour is Yoruba and in that shop, he was making a speech in favour of Obi while he was being attended to and he was saying stuffs against Tinubu.

The Igbo guy who owns the shop came towards the entry where I was standing and he was not saying a word, I asked him are you not Obi supporter, why are you not talking? he told me, "I support Obi, don't mind that man, him be dog". I said what do you say, he said the man is a dog. Jezz, what if this man is my brother?

And that's a man who regularly buy groceries from his shop. me and my neighbor had just had a little misunderstanding and its just a conciliatory walk that took us to the shop, I can't make myself tell my neighbor what that brother had just said, no way. But I kept wandering what kind of statement from a man?

i recently made transfer to the same man and just to help me check the evil deduction, I was there for almost an hour, nobody teach me before i left. Well, we are surrounded by Igbo's i don't have stereotype, but majority carry the vote. Make una dey do small jeje abeg. we know say na una get money pass everybody and everybody dey jealous una.

Do give away.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Were Igbos Leaving Lagos Post June 12? by absoluteSuccess: 5:35pm On Mar 23, 2023
jimyjames:

Nzeogwu's coup was celebrated all over Nigeria including in the north until the Yoruba and British Media who never liked the Igbos turned it , into an igbo coup , igbo agenda , and we know how the Yoruba's helped the northerners carrying out a genocide on the Igbos before and during the war

you see, the Yoruba is always in the mention, you can't celebrate the death of any man, only a deprave society celebrate killings and you wont tell me Hausa were equally celebrating. Don't dash others the sentiments you hold to be valid.

There was a time between the coup and the civil war. ironsi has been the head of State and the military controls the affairs of the state, which Yoruba went to exhume the carcass of the coup all over again? Afterall, Awo was chopping beans in the prison, lest you say he has resume letter writing again somewhere.

1 Like

Re: Why Were Igbos Leaving Lagos Post June 12? by Putindbutt: 5:47pm On Mar 23, 2023
jimyjames:

An indomie generation that wasn't born at the time of civil war is here telling us what no one had never read in all accounts of civil war history. Would you be kind enough to refer us to the account where Ibos were killed in their numbers in SW, it would be interesting to read how Yorubas were slaughtering ibo civilians in SW. I don't know why you decided to hide such a book inside your father's house rather than make it available in the national archives.

3 Likes

Re: Why Were Igbos Leaving Lagos Post June 12? by jimyjames(m): 5:52pm On Mar 23, 2023
absoluteSuccess:

you see, the Yoruba is always in the mention, you can't celebrate the death of any man, only a deprave society celebrate killings and you wont tell me Hausa were equally celebrating. Don't dash others the sentiments you hold to be valid.

There was a time between the coup and the civil war. ironsi has been the head of State and the military controls the affairs of the state, which Yoruba went to exhume the carcass of the coup all over again? Afterall, Awo was chopping beans in the prison, lest you say he has resume letter writing again somewhere.

The coup was celebrated all over Nigeria the northerners too celebrated, those junior officer's who went with nzeogwu to kill saduana almado Bello were huasa' Fulani's , besides that Hassan katsina who was made the military governor of the north was with nzeogwu when he made the broadcast of the coup they carried out that night

The north, Yoruba's were secretly holding meeting's and plotting against ironsi for over 6 months before the assassination ,in fact the Yoruba's completely handed over the south west to northerners to deal with the Igbos as they wish
Re: Why Were Igbos Leaving Lagos Post June 12? by raskymonojendor: 5:58pm On Mar 23, 2023
Because they know the way to their homeland incase another war breaks out. I still clearly remember the June 12 riots.
Re: Why Were Igbos Leaving Lagos Post June 12? by jimyjames(m): 6:00pm On Mar 23, 2023
Putindbutt:

An indomie generation that wasn't born at the time of civil war is here telling us what no one had never read in all accounts of civil war history. Would you be kind enough to refer us to the account where Ibos were killed in their numbers in SW, it would be interesting to read how Yorubas were slaughtering ibo civilians in SW. I don't know why you decided to hide such a book inside your father's house rather than make it available in the national archives.

What happened in 1966 was not a civil war , civil war started in 1967 , the genocide against Igbo civilians happened all over Nigeria including south west 1966, in south west when the northern soldiers were going from one neighborhood to another killing Igbos the Yoruba's helped them in pointing out who were Igbos and who was not , even on roadblock , and they rejoiced over it , just like they are rejoicing now after what happened in Lagos during election
Re: Why Were Igbos Leaving Lagos Post June 12? by mrvitalis(m): 6:01pm On Mar 23, 2023
Pierocash:

Their offense is simple they are successful and are not humble about their successes that's all
Re: Why Were Igbos Leaving Lagos Post June 12? by raskymonojendor: 6:02pm On Mar 23, 2023
jimyjames:

Actions and reactions.

Majorly Igbos soldiers started a coup in January 1996. A coup where the Eastern leaders were spared while Western and Northern leaders were killed. Igbos mocked the slain and even recorded music (goats are crying) to mock the Northerners. Nowadays, you call them cows.

Still Yorubas looked sideways.

Anyway, It was an Igbo and Hausa/Fulani affair; hence, why the revenge coup orchestrated by Northern soldiers in July of that same year targeted Igbo officers and igbo civilians and the pogrom began.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Were Igbos Leaving Lagos Post June 12? by Putindbutt: 6:09pm On Mar 23, 2023
jimyjames:

I really feel sorry for innocent ibos, it is slowpokes like you that make them a victim of your own stupidity. Are you insinuating that the North were celebrating the murder of Ahmadu Bello & Tafawa balewa, as the West did celebrate the murder of Akintola and other top ranking military officers of Yoruba extraction?. Dude, you must be very sick. Try and slow down on the lies and revisionism lest you the lives of your kinsmen at further risks.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Were Igbos Leaving Lagos Post June 12? by jimyjames(m): 6:11pm On Mar 23, 2023
raskymonojendor:

Actions and reactions.

Majorly Igbos soldiers started a coup in January 1996. A coup where the Eastern leaders were spared while Western and Northern leaders were killed.

Still Yorubas looked sideways.

Anyway, It was a Igbo and Hausa/Fulani affair; hence, why the revenge coup latter that year targeted Igbo officers and the pogrom began.

The revenge was on the Igbos cause the media made it an igbo coup , just because Igbos led the coup doesn't make it an igbo coup , cause back then Igbos were always the ones taking the bulls by the horns to try and make a change in every situation
Re: Why Were Igbos Leaving Lagos Post June 12? by raskymonojendor: 6:13pm On Mar 23, 2023
jimyjames:

The revenge was on the Igbos cause the media made it an igbo coup , just because Igbos led the coup doesn't make it an igbo coup , cause back then Igbos were always the ones taking the bulls by the horns to try and make a change in every situation
You are trying to rewrite history.

- Igbos led the coup.
- Igbo leaders escaped (Azikwe went on a phoney vacation)
- Easterners (even those living in the North celebrated the coup)
- An Igbo man was the beneficiary of the coup as he became head of state.
- Firing squad was never meted out to the leaders of the coup.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Were Igbos Leaving Lagos Post June 12? by jimyjames(m): 6:15pm On Mar 23, 2023
Putindbutt:

I really feel sorry for innocent ibos, it is slowpokes like you that make them a victim of your own stupidity. Are you insinuating, by that the North were celebrating the murder of Ahmadu Bello & Tafawa balewa, as the West did celebrate the murder of Akintola and other top ranking military officers of Yoruba extraction?. Dude, you must be very sick. Try and slow down on the lies and revisionism lest you the lives of your kinsmen at further risks.
Of course they celebrated, and nobody came out to kill Igbos in the north or anywhere else until months later when the media made it to be igbo coup
Re: Why Were Igbos Leaving Lagos Post June 12? by jimyjames(m): 6:19pm On Mar 23, 2023
raskymonojendor:

You are trying to rewrite history.

- Igbos led the coup.
- Igbo leaders escaped (Azikwe went on a phoney vacation)
- Easterners (even those living in the North celebrated the coup)
- An Igbo man was the beneficiary of the coup as he became head of state.
- Firing squad was never meted out to the leaders of the coup.

It was never an igbo coup that was why gowon took nzeogwu's body and gave him a heroic burial in kaduna where he killed almadu Bello , even though nzeogwu died a Biafran
Re: Why Were Igbos Leaving Lagos Post June 12? by raskymonojendor: 6:21pm On Mar 23, 2023
jimyjames:

It was never an igbo coup that was why gowon took nzeogwu's body and gave him a heroic burial in kaduna where he killed almadu Bello , even though nzeogwu died a Biafran
Okay.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Were Igbos Leaving Lagos Post June 12? by Opolopoopolonio: 6:29pm On Mar 23, 2023
They were scared cheesy
Re: Why Were Igbos Leaving Lagos Post June 12? by Kyase(m): 6:30pm On Mar 23, 2023
Post election wahala
Well, I for saw this fergie001
Re: Why Were Igbos Leaving Lagos Post June 12? by Putindbutt: 6:31pm On Mar 23, 2023
jimyjames:

The coup was celebrated all over Nigeria the northerners too celebrated, those junior officer's who went with nzeogwu to kill saduana almado Bello were huasa' Fulani's , besides that Hassan katsina who was made the military governor of the north was with nzeogwu when he made the broadcast of the coup they carried out that night

The north, Yoruba's were secretly holding meeting's and plotting against ironsi for over 6 months before the assassination ,in fact the Yoruba's completely handed over the south west to northerners to deal with the Igbos as they wish
Can you post the screenshot from the book(s) where these set of events were recorded. I wouldn't waste my time on a Mkpurummiri inspired hallucination. Post a screenshot and the title of the book.

1 Like

Re: Why Were Igbos Leaving Lagos Post June 12? by jimyjames(m): 6:34pm On Mar 23, 2023
raskymonojendor:

Okay.
Yes it was not an igbo coup at first until later

Re: Why Were Igbos Leaving Lagos Post June 12? by jimyjames(m): 6:38pm On Mar 23, 2023
Putindbutt:

Can you post the screenshot from the book(s) where these set of events were recorded. I wouldn't waste my time on a Mkpurummiri inspired hallucination. Post a screenshot and the title of the book.

Re: Why Were Igbos Leaving Lagos Post June 12? by Putindbutt: 6:53pm On Mar 23, 2023
jimyjames:

Of course they celebrated, and nobody came out to kill Igbos in the north or anywhere else until months later when the media made it to be igbo coup
Ibos were the only tribe that jubilated and made a caricature of the slain Ahmadu Bello.

1 Like

Re: Why Were Igbos Leaving Lagos Post June 12? by StreetFight: 6:56pm On Mar 23, 2023
They came back begging because they land is not livable

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Official Portrait Of The Deputy Speaker Of Federal House Of Representatives / 3 Reasons Why The Tribunal Will Sack Tinubu Despite Striking Out APM Suit - Joe / Regional & Ethnic Composition Of The Supreme Court Judges Favours Atiku &obi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.