Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,478 members, 7,816,130 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:07 AM

SA Unveils New Life-size Statue of Late Archbishop Desmond Tutu (PICS) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / SA Unveils New Life-size Statue of Late Archbishop Desmond Tutu (PICS) (761 Views)

Moremi Statue Of Liberty - Photos and Video of The Tallest Statue In Nigeria / The Fish Statue At Abraham Adesanya Roundabout Lagos, Removed (Video) / "My Visit To Volos Statue Of Liberty In Greece" (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

SA Unveils New Life-size Statue of Late Archbishop Desmond Tutu (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 8:03pm On Mar 23, 2023
A life-size bronze statue of the late Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu was unveiled in Cape Town on Thursday, the latest addition to the "Long March to Freedom" exhibition.

The statue of the Arch will join 100 other bronze statues of iconic resistance leaders.

The exhibition details South Africa's journey to democracy through life-sized statues of liberation leaders.

Others depicted in the collection are Nelson Mandela, Winnie Mandela, Beyers Naude, Mahatma Gandhi, Albert Luthuli, and Oliver Tambo.

The statue's likeness left Tutu's family visibly emotional.

The head of the National Heritage Project NPC - the owners of the Long March to Freedom - Dali Tambo said Tutu's wife, Leah, had not attended the event as it was a "very emotional moment for her".

"He was a man who occupied a unique position - without being appointed or elected, guided by his faith - as a global moral conscience and human role model," said Tambo.

Tutu's granddaughter, Nyaniso Burris, said: "It looks like him. I wasn't expecting it to look so much like him. It's beautiful. It feels like him. It's such a beautiful rendition of who he was and the memory we have of him. It's amazing that over a year after he passed, he's being honoured in such a way."

Desmond Tutu died on 26 December 2021 aged 90.

1 Share

Re: SA Unveils New Life-size Statue of Late Archbishop Desmond Tutu (PICS) by decatalyst(m): 8:06pm On Mar 23, 2023
Thank God say Governor Hope Uzodinma isn't in SA, he for demolish am before next 7 market days.

E no dey like see statue🀣🀣🀣
Re: SA Unveils New Life-size Statue of Late Archbishop Desmond Tutu (PICS) by nairalander2020(m): 8:08pm On Mar 23, 2023
A food for the thought.cool
Live a honest life so that when you die people will remember for all your good deed.

1 Like

Re: SA Unveils New Life-size Statue of Late Archbishop Desmond Tutu (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 8:16pm On Mar 23, 2023
Desmond Tutu's statue joins 100 others at the permanent 'Long Walk to Freedom' exhibition.

This is world's greatest exhibition in bronze! It is a one-of-a-kind monumental procession of life-size bronze statues, telling the story of 350 years of South Africa's struggle history through the lives of the persons represented.

1 Like

Re: SA Unveils New Life-size Statue of Late Archbishop Desmond Tutu (PICS) by fernandez1(m): 8:19pm On Mar 23, 2023
Every good way to attract foreign tourists!

1 Like

Re: SA Unveils New Life-size Statue of Late Archbishop Desmond Tutu (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 8:21pm On Mar 23, 2023
Tourists are allowed to interact with the statues.

Re: SA Unveils New Life-size Statue of Late Archbishop Desmond Tutu (PICS) by nairalander2020(m): 8:21pm On Mar 23, 2023
All i see is a gallery of living legends.
I wish yar adua could have something like this in nigeria.
That man is a legend too.

1 Like

Re: SA Unveils New Life-size Statue of Late Archbishop Desmond Tutu (PICS) by Bahamas95(m): 8:21pm On Mar 23, 2023
I can spot Rochas Okorocha there. grin

Mr. Statue.
Re: SA Unveils New Life-size Statue of Late Archbishop Desmond Tutu (PICS) by Shapeaso: 8:24pm On Mar 23, 2023
The man beside the second pic looks much like the statue.

1 Like

Re: SA Unveils New Life-size Statue of Late Archbishop Desmond Tutu (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 8:31pm On Mar 23, 2023
Shapeaso:
The man beside the second pic looks much like the statue.

That's the current Archbishop of Cape Town - Thabo Makgoba.
Re: SA Unveils New Life-size Statue of Late Archbishop Desmond Tutu (PICS) by Shapeaso: 8:35pm On Mar 23, 2023
WannaHowzit:

That's the current Archbishop of Cape Town - Thabo Makgoba.
Wow! They look alike. Wonderful.

2 Likes

Re: SA Unveils New Life-size Statue of Late Archbishop Desmond Tutu (PICS) by Nobody: 8:42pm On Mar 23, 2023
There was a time a certain governor went on a statue building spree.

I think it was Rotimi Ameachi grin
Re: SA Unveils New Life-size Statue of Late Archbishop Desmond Tutu (PICS) by Nobody: 8:44pm On Mar 23, 2023
nairalander2020:
I wish Yar adua could have something like this in nigeria.

That man could have transformed this country.
Re: SA Unveils New Life-size Statue of Late Archbishop Desmond Tutu (PICS) by Ofemmanu1: 8:47pm On Mar 23, 2023
nairalander2020:

What of Buhari?!
Re: SA Unveils New Life-size Statue of Late Archbishop Desmond Tutu (PICS) by kestolove95(m): 8:48pm On Mar 23, 2023
Nonsense, idol worshipers
Re: SA Unveils New Life-size Statue of Late Archbishop Desmond Tutu (PICS) by muyico(m): 9:29pm On Mar 23, 2023
kestolove95:
Nonsense, idol worshipers
Cont. Playing?

1 Like

Re: SA Unveils New Life-size Statue of Late Archbishop Desmond Tutu (PICS) by muyico(m): 9:33pm On Mar 23, 2023
Ofemmanu1:

What of Buhari?!
muslim didnt allowed statue. They count it as idol
Re: SA Unveils New Life-size Statue of Late Archbishop Desmond Tutu (PICS) by muyico(m): 9:35pm On Mar 23, 2023
nairalander2020:
Muslim 4bid it. They count it as idol
Re: SA Unveils New Life-size Statue of Late Archbishop Desmond Tutu (PICS) by Warl0ck: 6:03am On Mar 24, 2023
Those statues must have been built by white afrikaans.
Re: SA Unveils New Life-size Statue of Late Archbishop Desmond Tutu (PICS) by Ofemmanu1: 6:16am On Mar 24, 2023
muyico:
muslim didnt allowed statue. They count it as idol

These pipu sef?!
Re: SA Unveils New Life-size Statue of Late Archbishop Desmond Tutu (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 9:16am On Mar 24, 2023
Warl0ck:
Those statues must have been built by white afrikaans.

πŸ€¦πŸΎβ€β™‚οΈπŸ€¦πŸΎβ€β™‚οΈπŸ€¦πŸΎβ€β™‚οΈπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ’©πŸ’©πŸ’©

2 Likes

Re: SA Unveils New Life-size Statue of Late Archbishop Desmond Tutu (PICS) by HRprof: 10:13am On Mar 24, 2023
South African like status like tomorrow no dey wink
Re: SA Unveils New Life-size Statue of Late Archbishop Desmond Tutu (PICS) by IronGalaxy: 11:08am On Mar 24, 2023
WannaHowzit:

πŸ€¦πŸΎβ€β™‚οΈπŸ€¦πŸΎβ€β™‚οΈπŸ€¦πŸΎβ€β™‚οΈπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ’©πŸ’©πŸ’©
grin grin grin grin grin white worship

2 Likes

Re: SA Unveils New Life-size Statue of Late Archbishop Desmond Tutu (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 2:46pm On Mar 24, 2023
IronGalaxy:
grin grin grin grin grin white worship

It's so ridiculous I actually thought it was a joke.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Passengers Grateful To Be Alive As Plane Reportedly Cra§h-lands At Lagos Airport / How Long Does It Take To Be Contacted / Do You Have Family Who Migrated To Different Regions Other Than Yours?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.