Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,757 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:45 AM

Sanwo-Olu Orders N5m Payment To Uber Driver Assaulted During #EndSARS Memorial - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sanwo-Olu Orders N5m Payment To Uber Driver Assaulted During #EndSARS Memorial (21496 Views)

Governor Sanwo-Olu Orders The Arrest Of A Soldier For Illegally Riding Okada / Sanwo-Olu Orders Demolition Of Jankara, Bombata Markets / Sanwo-olu Orders Probe Of Pupil Sent Out Of School Over Obi’s Poster (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sanwo-Olu Orders N5m Payment To Uber Driver Assaulted During #EndSARS Memorial by adenigga(m): 7:04pm On Mar 25, 2023
Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos State has ordered the payment of N5 million compensation to an Uber driver, Adedotun Clement, who was assaulted on October 20, 2021, during a rally to mark the one-year anniversary of the #EndSARS protest in the state.

The governor in a statement on Saturday said he had “directed the Honorable Attorney General to set up a meeting and pay him the compensation awarded by the court.”

This is coming after The PUNCH reported today that the Ministry of Justice in the state argued that the state government was right to appeal the judgement.

On March 14, 2023, the court ordered the state government to pay the sum of N5 million as compensation to Adedotun who was said to have been tortured on October 20, 2021 at the Lekki Toll-Gate during the first #EndSARS anniversary.

Adedotun’s counsel, Inibehe Effiong, had in a statement on Friday, claimed the Lagos government was rejecting the judgment of the High Court over “lack of evidence for the torture.”

Adedotun, according to his lawyer, was carrying a passenger to Lagos Mainland when he encountered a gridlock at the Lekki Toll-Gate during a protest to commemorate the first anniversary of #EndSARS. “He was tortured and pepper-sprayed by officers of the Lagos State Neighbourhood Safety Agency and policemen.”

Arguing on Saturday, the justice ministry in a statement by its Public Relations Officer, Grace Alo, said during the hearing of the matter, the state government opposed the claims of the Applicant on grounds of law and facts.

Alo said, “As is customary when a judgment is delivered against the State Government, the counsel handling the matter is enjoined to file an appeal (a right provided by the Constitution) along with an application to stay execution of the judgment in order to protect and reserve the rights available to the State Government under the law.”

However, Governor Sanwo-Olu, in his position, said he was committed to upholding the rule of law.

The governor in a statement on his verified Twitter page said, “Good evening Lagos, as governor, I’m committed to upholding the rule of law and protecting citizens’ rights with empathy and authority.

“I recently became aware of the case involving Mr. Clement Adedotun and the judgement by the Federal High Court, and I understand the impact this legal battle has had on him.

“After reviewing Mr. Clement’s case, I’ve directed the Honorable Attorney General to set up a meeting and pay him the compensation awarded by the court.”

According to the governor, although the state government has appealed the ruling, “I’ve interceded in this instance in the interest of the public good, and requested that the state’s Attorney General comply with the court’s ruling.”

Sanwo-Olu said as a strong advocate for the rule of law, he commended all parties for seeking justice through the appropriate channels, adding that he remained committed to upholding the rights of all Lagosians.

Source: https://punchng.com/BREAKING-Sanwo-Olu-orders-N5m-payment-to-driver-assaulted-during-EndSARS-memorial

187 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Sanwo-Olu Orders N5m Payment To Uber Driver Assaulted During #EndSARS Memorial by inoki247: 7:05pm On Mar 25, 2023
That's good...

Buh shey other state no even get any victim ni or na only Lagosians life mata pass ..

282 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Sanwo-Olu Orders N5m Payment To Uber Driver Assaulted During #EndSARS Memorial by Mindlog: 7:08pm On Mar 25, 2023
Commendable.

Guy should make sure he invests the money well.

29 Likes

Re: Sanwo-Olu Orders N5m Payment To Uber Driver Assaulted During #EndSARS Memorial by NewestNigerian: 7:08pm On Mar 25, 2023
Nice one from Sanwo.

The Uber guy don cashout 5milli... Omo🤥

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sanwo-Olu Orders N5m Payment To Uber Driver Assaulted During #EndSARS Memorial by NaijaRoyalty(m): 7:08pm On Mar 25, 2023
inoki247:
That's good...

Buh shey other state no even get any victim ni or na only Lagosians life mata pass ..
Na for Lagos Dem burst person head and you're asking of another state , you no dey tire of tribalism ?

106 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Sanwo-Olu Orders N5m Payment To Uber Driver Assaulted During #EndSARS Memorial by 60saint: 7:09pm On Mar 25, 2023
Good
Re: Sanwo-Olu Orders N5m Payment To Uber Driver Assaulted During #EndSARS Memorial by NaijaRoyalty(m): 7:10pm On Mar 25, 2023
Seems Sanwo Olu is on Nairaland

Dis news of Sanwo Olu refusal to pay the taxi driver victim and I was among the people that castigated Sanwo Olu for his refusal to compensate the taxi driver the 5million naira awarded him by the court and this evening , Sanwo Eko has decided to pay the taxi driver.

Sanwo Olu is a Nairalander I swear by Allah

80 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Sanwo-Olu Orders N5m Payment To Uber Driver Assaulted During #EndSARS Memorial by Racoon(m): 7:14pm On Mar 25, 2023
The reward for injustice is more injustice. Sanwo-Olu have averted this evil.Kudus to him

9 Likes

Re: Sanwo-Olu Orders N5m Payment To Uber Driver Assaulted During #EndSARS Memorial by Nobody: 7:33pm On Mar 25, 2023
Yeah Good Gesture

1 Like

Re: Sanwo-Olu Orders N5m Payment To Uber Driver Assaulted During #EndSARS Memorial by Adeolaeniola(m): 7:33pm On Mar 25, 2023
Nice one from Mr governor... But that guy strong ooo

2 Likes

Re: Sanwo-Olu Orders N5m Payment To Uber Driver Assaulted During #EndSARS Memorial by Beremx(f): 7:40pm On Mar 25, 2023
Nice one from Sanwoolu. I wonder if appealing the case was necessary

7 Likes

Re: Sanwo-Olu Orders N5m Payment To Uber Driver Assaulted During #EndSARS Memorial by Djoel: 7:40pm On Mar 25, 2023
adenigga:
Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos State has ordered the payment of N5 million compensation to an Uber driver, Adedotun Clement, who was assaulted on October 20, 2021, during a rally to mark the one-year anniversary of the #EndSARS protest in the state.

The governor in a statement on Saturday said he had “directed the Honorable Attorney General to set up a meeting and pay him the compensation awarded by the court.”

This is coming after The PUNCH reported today that the Ministry of Justice in the state argued that the state government was right to appeal the judgement.

On March 14, 2023, the court ordered the state government to pay the sum of N5 million as compensation to Adedotun who was said to have been tortured on October 20, 2021 at the Lekki Toll-Gate during the first #EndSARS anniversary.

Adedotun’s counsel, Inibehe Effiong, had in a statement on Friday, claimed the Lagos government was rejecting the judgment of the High Court over “lack of evidence for the torture.”

Adedotun, according to his lawyer, was carrying a passenger to Lagos Mainland when he encountered a gridlock at the Lekki Toll-Gate during a protest to commemorate the first anniversary of #EndSARS. “He was tortured and pepper-sprayed by officers of the Lagos State Neighbourhood Safety Agency and policemen.”

Arguing on Saturday, the justice ministry in a statement by its Public Relations Officer, Grace Alo, said during the hearing of the matter, the state government opposed the claims of the Applicant on grounds of law and facts.

Alo said, “As is customary when a judgment is delivered against the State Government, the counsel handling the matter is enjoined to file an appeal (a right provided by the Constitution) along with an application to stay execution of the judgment in order to protect and reserve the rights available to the State Government under the law.”

However, Governor Sanwo-Olu, in his position, said he was committed to upholding the rule of law.

The governor in a statement on his verified Twitter page said, “Good evening Lagos, as governor, I’m committed to upholding the rule of law and protecting citizens’ rights with empathy and authority.

“I recently became aware of the case involving Mr. Clement Adedotun and the judgement by the Federal High Court, and I understand the impact this legal battle has had on him.

“After reviewing Mr. Clement’s case, I’ve directed the Honorable Attorney General to set up a meeting and pay him the compensation awarded by the court.”

According to the governor, although the state government has appealed the ruling, “I’ve interceded in this instance in the interest of the public good, and requested that the state’s Attorney General comply with the court’s ruling.”

Sanwo-Olu said as a strong advocate for the rule of law, he commended all parties for seeking justice through the appropriate channels, adding that he remained committed to upholding the rights of all Lagosians.

Source: https://punchng.com/BREAKING-Sanwo-Olu-orders-N5m-payment-to-driver-assaulted-during-EndSARS-memorial

So this victim is a Yoruba boy. Some very foolish people here have been abusing him all along calling him Obidient and IPOB. Congratulations Adedotun Clement.

16 Likes

Re: Sanwo-Olu Orders N5m Payment To Uber Driver Assaulted During #EndSARS Memorial by NaijaRoyalty(m): 7:41pm On Mar 25, 2023
inoki247:

Tell me your Family house or agbole yin if truly you're a Lagosian....
if I tell you my agbole, what you gonna do with it?

1 Like

Re: Sanwo-Olu Orders N5m Payment To Uber Driver Assaulted During #EndSARS Memorial by inoki247: 7:43pm On Mar 25, 2023
NaijaRoyalty:
if I tell you my agbole, what you gonna do with it?

That alone will confirm if you're truly from Lagos...

2 Likes

Re: Sanwo-Olu Orders N5m Payment To Uber Driver Assaulted During #EndSARS Memorial by NaijaRoyalty(m): 7:45pm On Mar 25, 2023
inoki247:

That alone will confirm if you're truly from Lagos...

Nonsense, why should I tell a drunk my agbole ?

Have you ever paid tax in this Lagos all your life ?

7 Likes

Re: Sanwo-Olu Orders N5m Payment To Uber Driver Assaulted During #EndSARS Memorial by Nobody: 7:55pm On Mar 25, 2023
NaijaRoyalty:

Dis news of Sanwo Olu refusal to pay the taxi driver victim and I was among the people that castigated Sanwo Olu for his refusal to compensate the taxi driver the 5million naira awarded him by the court and this evening , Sanwo Eko has decided to pay the taxi driver.

Power of social media to influence politics.

3 Likes

Re: Sanwo-Olu Orders N5m Payment To Uber Driver Assaulted During #EndSARS Memorial by youngsahito(m): 7:57pm On Mar 25, 2023
NaijaRoyalty:

he would be on ghost mode.

1 Like

Re: Sanwo-Olu Orders N5m Payment To Uber Driver Assaulted During #EndSARS Memorial by Bashet: 8:06pm On Mar 25, 2023
Na Sanwo use tear gas on him? No be army?

Besides, what was he doing after curfew was introduced? He was the one who broke the law, I thought these useless people said they died? Now it's sprayed tear gases?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

CAN Rejects Ex-boko Haram Recruit Into Army, Police / APGA Campaign Tour In Nnewi Today(photos) / Police Officers Demand N100,000 Minimum Wage Or Go On Strike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.