Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,859 members, 7,813,936 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:03 PM

We Have Been Lied To. The Truth About Ramadan Or Fasting: Islam Style - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / We Have Been Lied To. The Truth About Ramadan Or Fasting: Islam Style (808 Views)

Lies, We Have Been Lied To / 2018 Eid Al-fitr: Everything You Need To Know About Ramadan Sallah / 10 Tips To Ensure Meals Are About Ramadan (not The Other Way Round) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Have Been Lied To. The Truth About Ramadan Or Fasting: Islam Style by drakeli: 8:18am On Mar 26, 2023
Ramadan is described as a month long fast. Yet the entire month is filled with feasting. Indeed, binge eating during Ramadan has caused health crisis in Muslim countries. So why is gluttony and excess portrayed as strict discipline and self control in Islam? Is there a spiritual component to Ramadan? David Woods explores the issue and uncovers the disturbing truth about Islam’s holiest month.
Articles cited:
Ramadan sees rise in binge eating and A&E cases

https://www.cnn.com/2013/08/07/world/meast/ramadan-over-eating-eid/index.html
The economic impact of Ramadan on the food sector
https://www.hlb.global/the-economic-impact-of-ramadan-on-the-food-sector/
The puzzle of self reported weight gain in a month of fasting (Ramadan) among a cohort of saudi families in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3170249/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8DnIm1FkF4

2 Likes

Re: We Have Been Lied To. The Truth About Ramadan Or Fasting: Islam Style by Chonchin: 8:38am On Mar 26, 2023
grin >🤣🤣🤣This Wood guy no go kill person with laugh 😂 . Video illustration and commentary on point. I’m fasting, Islam style grin
Re: We Have Been Lied To. The Truth About Ramadan Or Fasting: Islam Style by AntiChristian: 10:03pm On Mar 26, 2023
Alhamdulillah for the month of Ramadan!

May Allah accept it as a good from us all and May He accept your deeds too giving what you so desire soon!

Aamin!

1 Like

Re: We Have Been Lied To. The Truth About Ramadan Or Fasting: Islam Style by NaijaMemes: 5:05pm On Mar 27, 2023
AntiChristian:
Alhamdulillah for the month of Ramadan!

May Allah accept it as a good from us all and May He accept your deeds too giving what you so desire soon!

Aamin!

Ah what happened? The facts were too much for you this time abi?

Is that why you didn't bash non-muslims this time?
Re: We Have Been Lied To. The Truth About Ramadan Or Fasting: Islam Style by AntiChristian: 5:14pm On Mar 27, 2023
NaijaMemes:

It's better not to say anything than to respond!

And I don't see how what he's saying is applicable to many here!
Re: We Have Been Lied To. The Truth About Ramadan Or Fasting: Islam Style by NaijaMemes: 5:41pm On Mar 27, 2023
AntiChristian:

It's better not to say anything than to respond!

grin
Re: We Have Been Lied To. The Truth About Ramadan Or Fasting: Islam Style by falopey: 2:38pm On Mar 28, 2023
NaijaMemes:

How can one respond after consuming like four bowls of eba before 6am and full to the throat. You think it’s easy? You gotta let the eba settle first.

1 Like

Re: We Have Been Lied To. The Truth About Ramadan Or Fasting: Islam Style by AntiChristian: 5:35am On Mar 30, 2023
falopey:
How can one respond after consuming like four bowls of eba before 6am and full to the throat. You think it’s easy? You gotta let the eba settle first.

How many have you seen consume like that?

The lies you tell will be against you.

Some wouldn't even be able to eat much while some prefer light meals.

Anyways, you guys still don't have what we have.

We are commanded to fast unlike you!
We are told when to fast!
We are told the duration of the fast!
What vitiates the fast is clearly stated.
The prophet fasted in the presence of people!

1 Like

Re: We Have Been Lied To. The Truth About Ramadan Or Fasting: Islam Style by NaijaMemes: 2:19pm On Mar 30, 2023
AntiChristian:

How many have you seen consume like that?

The lies you tell will be against you.

Some wouldn't even be able to eat much while some prefer light meals.

Anyways, you guys still don't have what we have.

We are commanded to fast unlike you!
We are told when to fast!
We are told the duration of the fast!
What vitiates the fast is clearly stated.
The prophet fasted in the presence of people!

Keep quiet. Christians were fasting long before islam was even formed.

1 Like

Re: We Have Been Lied To. The Truth About Ramadan Or Fasting: Islam Style by AntiChristian: 3:32pm On Mar 30, 2023
NaijaMemes:

Keep quiet. Christians were fasting long before islam was even formed.

Where are "Christians" mentioned in the Bible to be fasting during Jesus's time?

Almighty liar!

1 Like

Re: We Have Been Lied To. The Truth About Ramadan Or Fasting: Islam Style by NaijaMemes: 4:05pm On Mar 30, 2023
AntiChristian:

Where are "Christians" mentioned in the Bible to be fasting during Jesus's time?

Almighty liar!

Even from old testament or Torah, Jews were fasting over a 1,000 years before Islam. Jesus died 600 years before Islam.

My Nigga, Jesus fasted. Barnabas and Saul fasted in the New testament.

1 Like

Re: We Have Been Lied To. The Truth About Ramadan Or Fasting: Islam Style by AntiChristian: 5:17pm On Mar 30, 2023
NaijaMemes:

Even from old testament or Torah, Jews were fasting over a 1,000 years before Islam. Jesus died 600 years before Islam.

You should admit you lied or you bring the verses that said Christians fasted!
Re: We Have Been Lied To. The Truth About Ramadan Or Fasting: Islam Style by NaijaMemes: 8:06pm On Mar 30, 2023
AntiChristian:

"Christian" as a word was never mentioned in the Bible. However, "Christian" means follower of christ. People were called followers of christ as early as the 2nd century. Hundreds of years before Islam

But since you want to start semantics, "abortion" is not mentioned in the Quran, yet the sharia is somehow against abortion.

Furthermore, the early Church
Re: We Have Been Lied To. The Truth About Ramadan Or Fasting: Islam Style by AntiChristian: 9:30pm On Mar 30, 2023
NaijaMemes:

"Christian" as a word was never mentioned in the Bible. However, "Christian" means follower of christ. People were called followers of christ as early as the 2nd century. Hundreds of years before Islam

But since you want to start semantics, "abortion" is not mentioned in the Quran, yet the sharia is somehow against abortion.

Why are you so lost?
I asked you a question which you refused to answer then you're asking me your own question!
Is this not foolishness?
Re: We Have Been Lied To. The Truth About Ramadan Or Fasting: Islam Style by NaijaMemes: 10:22pm On Mar 30, 2023
AntiChristian:

Why are you so lost?
I asked you a question which you refused to answer then you're asking me your own question!
Is this not foolishness?

Anyone reading our exchange can see who the ignorant person is between us

1 Like

Re: We Have Been Lied To. The Truth About Ramadan Or Fasting: Islam Style by AntiChristian: 8:27am On Mar 31, 2023
NaijaMemes:

Anyone reading our exchange can see who the ignorant person is between us

Re: We Have Been Lied To. The Truth About Ramadan Or Fasting: Islam Style by falopey: 8:39am On Mar 31, 2023
AntiChristian:

This is what Jesus told his followers/followers of Christ ( meaning christians ) about fasting.

Matthew 6:16-18

When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites (muslims) do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting.

Then the followers of Christ (Christians)
Act13:3

So after they had fasted and prayed, they placed their hands on them and sent them off.

1 Like

Re: We Have Been Lied To. The Truth About Ramadan Or Fasting: Islam Style by AntiChristian: 8:43am On Mar 31, 2023
falopey:

This is what Jesus told his followers/followers of Christ ( meaning christians ) about fasting.

When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites (muslims) do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting.

You inserted Muslims there but where are the Christians mentioned by Jesus?

You still keep telling lies! Jesus never said Muslims but added another lie!
Re: We Have Been Lied To. The Truth About Ramadan Or Fasting: Islam Style by falopey: 8:45am On Mar 31, 2023
AntiChristian:

You inserted Muslims there but where are the Christians mentioned by Jesus?

You still keep telling lies! Jesus never said Muslims but added another lie!

Jesus had followers that followed his teachings. The Bible calls them Christians. That’s what christians mean. Christ followers.

I inserted muslims because that’s what you guys do.

I fasted for days and ate only once in 24 hours in the evening and no one even knew I was fasting. But you guys eat twice in 24 hours plus plenty of feasting and binge eating and acting like hypocrites like Jesus said
Re: We Have Been Lied To. The Truth About Ramadan Or Fasting: Islam Style by AntiChristian: 8:57am On Mar 31, 2023
falopey:

Jesus had followers that followed his teachings. The Bible calls them Christians. That’s what christians mean. Christ followers.

Stop telling lies. The Bible didn't call them Christians! After Jesus left this world, one unknown unbeliever called them what seems like "Christian". The Bible has no mouth to talk. People talk not Books!

I inserted muslims because that’s what you guys do.
And that's a lie. I thought there's a curse on whoever adds to your Bible? So will plagues be added to your life now according to Revelations 22:18?

I fasted seven days sometime ago and three days two weeks ago and eat only once in 24 hours in the evening and no one even knew I was fasting. But you guys eat twice in 24 hours plus plenty of feasting

My question is where were you told to fast in the Bible?
For 7 days? 3 days?
For you to eat or not to eat?
There's no instructions on it being compulsory for you to fast!
Ours is compulsory! The month is known as Ramadan, the 9th Lunar Month!
The number of fasting is for a month!
We fast only in the day not night!
And all regulations regarding fasting are perfected!
But you and your pastors fixes all these for yourselves!
Re: We Have Been Lied To. The Truth About Ramadan Or Fasting: Islam Style by falopey: 9:11am On Mar 31, 2023
AntiChristian:

Stop telling lies. The Bible didn't call them Christians! After Jesus left this world, one unknown unbeliever called them what seems like "Christian". The Bible has no mouth to talk. People talk not Books!

And that's a lie. I thought there's a curse on whoever adds to your Bible? So will plagues be added to your life now according to Revelations 22:18?

For 7 days? 3 days?

Do you have problem with English? Christian is a semantic word that simply means followers of Christ. That’s how followers of Christ in the Bible identified themselves and that’s how they were identified. If you ask me who am I? I would say “follower of Christ “ or in short form “Christian “.

Jesus taught his followers about importance of fasting and not made it compulsory because Jews had been fasting before they started following Jesus . It’s part of their culture. Muhammed had to make it compulsory because his new followers had no concept of God and fasting unlike the Jews that already knew God before becoming christians. Why should I make compulsory what is already a practice to you?

Mark 9:29

So He said to them, “This kind can come out by nothing but prayer and fasting.”

Matthew 4:2

“After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry.”

Luke 5:33-35

…But the days will come when the bridegroom (Jesus) will be taken away from them; then they will fast in those days.”

Acts 13:2-3

'While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting,
Re: We Have Been Lied To. The Truth About Ramadan Or Fasting: Islam Style by AntiChristian: 10:05am On Mar 31, 2023
falopey:

Jesus taught his followers about importance of fasting and how we should go about doing it. He fasted himself. We follow what he did as that’s what being a Christian is.
Which Bible version put Muslim in Bracket as your lied above?

New International Version
“When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.

New Living Translation
“And when you fast, don’t make it obvious, as the hypocrites do, for they try to look miserable and disheveled so people will admire them for their fasting. I tell you the truth, that is the only reward they will ever get.

English Standard Version
“And when you fast, do not look gloomy like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces that their fasting may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward.

Berean Standard Bible
When you fast, do not be somber like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces to show men they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they already have their full reward.

Berean Literal Bible
And whenever you fast, do not be downcast in countenance like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces so that they might appear to men as fasting. Truly I say to you, they have their recompense.

King James Bible
Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

New King James Version
“Moreover, when you fast, do not be like the hypocrites, with a sad countenance. For they disfigure their faces that they may appear to men to be fasting. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward.

New American Standard Bible
“Now whenever you fast, do not make a gloomy face as the hypocrites do, for they distort their faces so that they will be noticed by people when they are fasting. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full.

NASB 1995
“Whenever you fast, do not put on a gloomy face as the hypocrites do, for they neglect their appearance so that they will be noticed by men when they are fasting. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full.

NASB 1977
“And whenever you fast, do not put on a gloomy face as the hypocrites do, for they neglect their appearance in order to be seen fasting by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full.

Legacy Standard Bible
“Now whenever you fast, do not put on a gloomy face as the hypocrites do, for they neglect their appearance so that they will be noticed by men when they are fasting. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full.

Amplified Bible
“And whenever you are fasting, do not look gloomy like the hypocrites, for they put on a sad and dismal face [like actors, discoloring their faces with ashes or dirt] so that their fasting may be seen by men. I assure you and most solemnly say to you, they [already] have their reward in full.

Mark 9:29
So He said to them, “This kind can come out by nothing but prayer and fasting.”
So you must fast to be able to do healing/ miracle? That's the reason you fast?

Matthew 4:2

“After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry.”

Luke 5:33-35[quote] Jesus fasted for 40 days and nights. Did he tell you to fast like him?
Did he eat at all? When did he break his fast daily or was it a straight fast from 1-40 nights? When do you fast? Where are the rules of fasting? Or you must go to the wilderness to fast!
[quote]
…But the days will come when the bridegroom (Jesus) will be taken away from them; then they will fast in those days.”

Acts 13:2-3

'While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting,

ANYONE FOLLOWING WOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOUR LIES!

For 7 days? 3 days?
Re: We Have Been Lied To. The Truth About Ramadan Or Fasting: Islam Style by falopey: 10:13am On Mar 31, 2023
AntiChristian:
Which Bible version put Muslim in Bracket as your lied above?

New International Version
“When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.

New Living Translation
“And when you fast, don’t make it obvious, as the hypocrites do, for they try to look miserable and disheveled so people will admire them for their fasting. I tell you the truth, that is the only reward they will ever get.

English Standard Version
“And when you fast, do not look gloomy like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces that their fasting may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward.

Berean Standard Bible
When you fast, do not be somber like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces to show men they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they already have their full reward.

Berean Literal Bible
And whenever you fast, do not be downcast in countenance like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces so that they might appear to men as fasting. Truly I say to you, they have their recompense.

King James Bible
Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

New King James Version
“Moreover, when you fast, do not be like the hypocrites, with a sad countenance. For they disfigure their faces that they may appear to men to be fasting. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward.

New American Standard Bible
“Now whenever you fast, do not make a gloomy face as the hypocrites do, for they distort their faces so that they will be noticed by people when they are fasting. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full.

NASB 1995
“Whenever you fast, do not put on a gloomy face as the hypocrites do, for they neglect their appearance so that they will be noticed by men when they are fasting. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full.

NASB 1977
“And whenever you fast, do not put on a gloomy face as the hypocrites do, for they neglect their appearance in order to be seen fasting by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full.

Legacy Standard Bible
“Now whenever you fast, do not put on a gloomy face as the hypocrites do, for they neglect their appearance so that they will be noticed by men when they are fasting. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full.

Amplified Bible
“And whenever you are fasting, do not look gloomy like the hypocrites, for they put on a sad and dismal face [like actors, discoloring their faces with ashes or dirt] so that their fasting may be seen by men. I assure you and most solemnly say to you, they [already] have their reward in full.

So you must fast to be able to do healing/ miracle? That's the reason you fast?

I have answered your question. Unfortunately you keep going in a circle. The Muslim I put in a bracket depicting the type of people that instruction best fit at this present time. It’s a reference. That’s why it’s in a bracket. Words of the Bible are not put in brackets.

Re: We Have Been Lied To. The Truth About Ramadan Or Fasting: Islam Style by NaijaMemes: 10:56am On Mar 31, 2023
AntiChristian:

I've answered you question. Move along
Re: We Have Been Lied To. The Truth About Ramadan Or Fasting: Islam Style by AntiChristian: 11:16am On Mar 31, 2023
NaijaMemes:

I've answered you question. Move along

Are you sure you answered?

And i am still looking for where Christians are fasting during Jesus's time and i couldn't see it.

No one was called Christian during Jesus's time!

Make una stop telling lies!
Re: We Have Been Lied To. The Truth About Ramadan Or Fasting: Islam Style by AntiChristian: 11:19am On Mar 31, 2023
falopey:

I have answered your question. Unfortunately you keep going in a circle. The Muslim I put in a bracket depicting the type of people that instruction best fit at this present time. It’s a reference. That’s why it’s in a bracket. Words of the Bible are not put in brackets.

K, Liar!
Re: We Have Been Lied To. The Truth About Ramadan Or Fasting: Islam Style by NaijaMemes: 11:48am On Mar 31, 2023
AntiChristian:

And i am still looking for where Christians are fasting during Jesus's time and i couldn't see it.

If only you read to understand rather than to argue blindly.......

See my concise answer from a previous comment-

NaijaMemes:

NaijaMemes:

Re: We Have Been Lied To. The Truth About Ramadan Or Fasting: Islam Style by falopey: 11:48am On Mar 31, 2023
AntiChristian:

Who were the people Jesus was talking to in this verse?

Jesus was talking to his followers on how to fast. So as an answer to your question. The followers of Christ (meaning christians) were already fasting with Jesus but unfortunately in Islam styles by disfiguring their faces so people may know they were fasting. Jesus warned them against being like muslims.

Now you see where followers of Christ (Christians) were fasting during Jesus time but in Islam style unfortunately
Re: We Have Been Lied To. The Truth About Ramadan Or Fasting: Islam Style by Muqtar01: 9:00am On Apr 04, 2023
i swear. christain are hypocrites just like how i have been saying it.
there is not any place in the entire bible where you were instructed to fast. yet you claim your fast is the most applicable one because you didn't eat in the dawn.
surveys has it that only 20% of christain fast during their time.
Re: We Have Been Lied To. The Truth About Ramadan Or Fasting: Islam Style by NaijaMemes: 11:12am On Apr 04, 2023
Muqtar01:
i swear. christain are hypocrites just like how i have been saying it.
there is not any place in the entire bible where you were instructed to fast. yet you claim your fast is the most applicable one because you didn't eat in the dawn.
surveys has it that only 20% of christain fast during their time.

Spoken out of ignorance. There are places in the bible and torah about fasting.

Why are some muslims so ignorant? Is islam the only religion to you?
Re: We Have Been Lied To. The Truth About Ramadan Or Fasting: Islam Style by AntiChristian: 9:23am On Apr 05, 2023
NaijaMemes:

Spoken out of ignorance. There are places in the bible and torah about fasting.

Why are some muslims so ignorant? Is islam the only religion to you?

From the Bible:
1.Where were you specifically instructed to fast?
2.How many fast were you specifically instructed?
3.What month do you fast?
4.From what time of the day to what time?
5.What are the things you should do and not do during fasting?

Yes, Islam is the only religion to me!

Allah says what means: O you who believe! Fear Allah (by doing all that He has ordered and by abstaining from all that He has forbidden) as He should be feared. [Obey Him, be thankful to Him, and remember Him always], and die not except in a state of Islam (as Muslims) with complete submission to Allah. Qur'an 3:102

It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah, from the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him), that he said: “By the One in Whose hand is the soul of Muhammad, no one of this nation, Jew or Christian, hears of me then dies without having believed in that with which I was sent, but he will be one of the people of the Fire.” Narrated by Muslim (240).

Muqtar01
Re: We Have Been Lied To. The Truth About Ramadan Or Fasting: Islam Style by NaijaMemes: 10:38am On Apr 05, 2023
AntiChristian:

From the Bible:
1.Where were you specifically instructed to fast?
2.How many fast were you specifically instructed?
3.What month do you fast?
4.From what time of the day to what time?
5.What are the things you should do and not do during fasting?

Yes, Islam is the only religion to me!

Allah says what means: O you who believe! Fear Allah (by doing all that He has ordered and by abstaining from all that He has forbidden) as He should be feared. [Obey Him, be thankful to Him, and remember Him always], and die not except in a state of Islam (as Muslims) with complete submission to Allah. Qur'an 3:102

It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah, from the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him), that he said: “By the One in Whose hand is the soul of Muhammad, no one of this nation, Jew or Christian, hears of me then dies without having believed in that with which I was sent, but he will be one of the people of the Fire.” Narrated by Muslim (240).

Muqtar01

Jesus fasted in the bible. Many prophets in the bible fasted. The same prophets that are copied in the Quran.

Fasting in Christianity is more of a personal journey and not some communist thing like islam

(1) (2) (Reply)

Khalid Bin Al-waleed: His Love Of Jihad! / Disguised Christian Man Attempts To Set Church Ablaze / Fiqh Forum Update

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.