Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,522 members, 7,812,632 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:30 PM

My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming (2742 Views)

My Vertical Yam Farming Diary / Career In Yam Farming / Yam Farming A Means Of Livehood In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by luluosas(m): 6:00pm On Mar 30, 2023
This year,
I decided that I will try yam farming in cement sack bags, after seeing testimonials of such adventures here on Nairaland.

So, due to the fact that my compound is not yet fenced, all the bags are going to be concentrated in one place, though this may not yield good results at end, but I will take it so.

2 Likes

Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by luluosas(m): 6:02pm On Mar 30, 2023
NB:
I have already planted the yams before creating this thread, however, I will still try my best for the updates.

3 Likes

Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by Ireportlive: 6:06pm On Mar 30, 2023
smiley
Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by luluosas(m): 6:06pm On Mar 30, 2023
PLAN :
It was 50 Tubers of yam I initially proposed to plant, but, I ended with 60 tubers, which gave me a total of 63 heaps (as I divided some into 2 pieces).

1 Like

Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by luluosas(m): 6:10pm On Mar 30, 2023
INVESTMENT:
it cost me only N22,500 for the 60 tubers. I bought the first 30 pieces at N10,500, while the second 30 pieces was bought at N12,000. That's basically all the experience I carried out as I sand filled the bags myself

Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by luluosas(m): 6:17pm On Mar 30, 2023
PLANTING:
The first set was planted on 18th March, 2023, while the second batch were planted on 23rd March, 2023.
After the planting, my family make do with the bottom side I sliced from some, and we had a great meal

3 Likes

Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by illicit(m): 6:18pm On Mar 30, 2023
I yam here with u

grin

5 Likes

Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by luluosas(m): 6:30pm On Mar 30, 2023
So, by today, 30th March, 2023, I saw that 3 has germinated when I went to water them.

Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by luluosas(m): 6:32pm On Mar 30, 2023
You are welcome on board my brother
illicit:
I yam here with u

grin

1 Like

Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by overdrive(m): 6:35pm On Mar 30, 2023
Following
Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by rainmoredays: 6:47pm On Mar 30, 2023
I already planted some, they just about germinating.

Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by rainmoredays: 6:59pm On Mar 30, 2023
My only problem down here is goat.
My neighbour goats are making life unbearable for me.
Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by Praisepriest: 7:07pm On Mar 30, 2023
Your yam settle too big
Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by luluosas(m): 9:03pm On Mar 30, 2023
Great
rainmoredays:
I already planted some, they just about germinating.
Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by luluosas(m): 9:04pm On Mar 30, 2023
I understand, that's why I cut the bottom part out of it, to make fit into the sack bags easily
Praisepriest:
Your yam settle too big
Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by luluosas(m): 9:06pm On Mar 30, 2023
Then, look for any way to fence it maybe with iron nets
rainmoredays:
My only problem down here is goat.
My neighbour goats are making life unbearable for me.

1 Like

Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by habsydiamond(m): 9:11pm On Mar 30, 2023
That's nice... agriculture is the only secret to stopping poverty.
Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by luluosas(m): 9:15pm On Mar 30, 2023
You are right. Thank you
habsydiamond:
That's nice... agriculture is the only secret to stoping poverty.
Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by rainmoredays: 9:43pm On Mar 30, 2023
luluosas:
Then, look for any way to fence it maybe with iron nets
lol, where I wan see money fence 4 plots of land cheesy
Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by luluosas(m): 6:46am On Mar 31, 2023
Hahahaha! You be big man ooooooooo
rainmoredays:
lol, where I wan see money fence 4 plots of land cheesy

1 Like

Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by luluosas(m): 9:59pm On Mar 31, 2023
Today, I pegged about 25 bamboo sticks in preparation for germination. Remaining twine to link them together.
Keeping my fingers crossed.

Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by luluosas(m): 1:46pm On Apr 01, 2023
So, this morning, I decided to change one of the sack bag, because it was torn too low. When I removed the sand, the yarn was already germinating with roots all over. The stem was big, and I was very impressed with what I saw. I hope there will be a good harvest at the end of the year. I also chopped off from the yarn so that it could fit to the center of the bag, and covered it back

Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by luluosas(m): 1:49pm On Apr 01, 2023
I also did the roping today. So, waiting for the yams to germinate and continue from there

Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by rainmoredays: 4:06pm On Apr 23, 2023
What's the update Sir
Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by aumoria(m): 10:04pm On Apr 25, 2023
How did you prepare the sand before planting?
Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by luluosas(m): 10:17pm On May 02, 2023
Nothing special. I fetched the sand from a farm land near by, filled the sack them and planted. That's all
aumoria:
How did you prepare the sand before planting?
Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by luluosas(m): 10:22pm On May 02, 2023
God bless you sir.
Well I have watered it 3 times since I planted them because it has not been raining well here.
Out of the 63 heaps of yam planted, only one that got rotten. I will replace it within the week by the grace of God. One one that is yet to grow out, though it has germinated when I dug it to check earlier today. So others are doing well and it is giving me joy. Thank you
rainmoredays:
What's the update Sir
Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by luluosas(m): 10:36pm On May 02, 2023
This was on 7th April, 2023, when the yams just started germinating.
Remember, I planted them on March 18th and 23rd, 2023.

Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by luluosas(m): 10:41pm On May 02, 2023
I took these pictures on 29th April, 2023. How do you see it?

Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by Watianoengineer(m): 10:14am On May 03, 2023
luluosas:
I took these pictures on 29th April, 2023. How do you see it?

I also planted a couple of yams in my garden which have already germinated. I couldn't find bamboo stick so I used cassava sticks and some poles which are not very tall. Will this affect the growth of the yam eventually?
Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by luluosas(m): 4:25pm On May 03, 2023
Well, yes, it will surely affect the growth, but you can direct them to engage the roping. Hope you have done that.
Even here, it's painful to me that some have stopped growing already because the bamboo sticks are not long enough for them to climb. So, they are now branching. Let's see how it goes in the end. Well done.

Watianoengineer:

I also planted a couple of yams in my garden which have already germinated. I couldn't find bamboo stick so I used cassava sticks and some poles which are not very tall. Will this affect the growth of the yam eventually?
Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by luluosas(m): 7:40pm On May 05, 2023
I finally changed the one that didn't germinate. I discovered that it was not all the former yam that got rotten. So, I cut out the rotten part and planted the remaining part with the new one I used to replace it.
So, because I tore the new yam into 2, I have to add a new sack, as I now have 64 heaps. I hope to get good result and the end of the season. Cheers

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pic: Please How Can I Get Rid Of These Soldier Ants / Atiku's Largest Feed Mill In Northern Nigeria / Foreign And Local Turkey: Day Old, One Month, Two Months E.t.c For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.