Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,471 members, 7,830,370 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:29 PM

My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming (2866 Views)

My Vertical Yam Farming Diary / Career In Yam Farming / Yam Farming A Means Of Livehood In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by MrBONE2(m): 7:14am On May 07, 2023
luluosas:
I finally changed the one that didn't germinate. I discovered that it was not all the former yam that got rotten. So, I cut out the rotten part and planted the remaining part with the new one I used to replace it.
So, because I tore the new yam into 2, I have to add a new sack, as I now have 64 heaps. I hope to get good result and the end of the season. Cheers
Nice, you are doing well, I must say that am learning something new, May Great One make you reap the reward of your Labour Bwana
Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by Prosperity4All: 1:47pm On May 07, 2023
rainmoredays:
My only problem down here is goat.
My neighbour goats are making life unbearable for me.
grin grin grin
My brother same here my goats no gree me see front

1 Like

Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by luluosas(m): 5:56pm On May 07, 2023
Amen. We shall all rejoice at the end of the season by the grace of God.
MrBONE2:

Nice, you are doing well, I must say that am learning something new, May Great One make you reap the reward of your Labour Bwana
Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by luluosas(m): 5:57pm On May 07, 2023
Oh! You are farming goals too? Wonderful
Prosperity4All:

grin grin grin
My brother same here my goats no gree me see front
Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by luluosas(m): 12:49pm On May 12, 2023
My yams are shading well with their branches growing well.

1 Like

Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by luluosas(m): 10:47pm On May 26, 2023
The replacement for the one heap that spoiled has germinated, including the new one sack I added.
So, all my 64 yams have all germinated, now waiting for bumper harvest by the grace of God.

Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by Watianoengineer(m): 11:38pm On Jun 01, 2023
luluosas:
The replacement for the one heap that spoiled has germinated, including the new one sack I added.
So, all my 64 yams have all germinated, now waiting for bumper harvest by the grace of God.

If you remember I quoted you before about my yam farm. The problem now is that I discovered some insects are eating my yam leafs. After I checked well the insects looks like faeces sprinkled on the yam leaves. Brownish in color.
Have you experienced this before? How did you handle it? Kindly respond sir.
Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by luluosas(m): 6:31am On Jun 02, 2023
Not at all. But can you snap the pictures?
Watianoengineer:

If you remember I quoted you before about my yam farm. The problem now is that I discovered some insects are eating my yam leafs. After I checked well the insects looks like faeces sprinkled on the yam leaves. Brownish in color.
Have you experienced this before? How did you handle it? Kindly respond sir.
Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by luluosas(m): 9:35pm On Jun 16, 2023
OBSERVATION:
I don't know what really is the problem as this is my first attempt in sack yam farming, but I have been observing that some of my yams are not doing well.

Some of them have started shedding their leaves and this ought not to be so, because they are barely 3 months old, as I planted the first sets on March 18th, 2023. So, why do they appear to be dying at this early stage?

The way leaves are getting yellow and falling off is giving me serious concern. Please, do you know what is wrong? How do I remedy this problem?
These pictures were taken 2 nights ago, 14th June, 2023.

Thank you

Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by luluosas(m): 9:49pm On Jun 16, 2023
These ones were taken on 2nd June, 2023, after noticing it for some time

Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by otuword: 7:18am On Jun 17, 2023
rainmoredays:
My only problem down here is goat.
My neighbour goats are making life unbearable for me.
if u see old banners u can used it for dense
that was wat I used
next time u can buy planting yam INSEAD of the full yam that was wat u used.
here in lagos at mile 12 market is just 200 naira each
Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by otuword: 7:21am On Jun 17, 2023
luluosas:
These ones were taken on 2nd June, 2023, after noticing it for some time
I planted the same time with u but mile own are doing well for now
back to u I don't think u used the right soil
Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by luluosas(m): 7:55am On Jun 25, 2023
I used good soil. Will watch as things pan out
otuword:
I planted the same time with u but mile own are doing well for now
back to u I don't think u used the right soil
Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by luluosas(m): 10:19am On Sep 16, 2023
Finally harvested my yams.
Though I didn't get what I was expecting, but this trial gave me an idea of what to do should I consider yam sack farming again.
One of the things that ran against me was the none spacing of the sacks, as I compressed them into a very tight corner in my compound.
Another thing was the fact that sun light was not penetrating across due to the fact that the up totally covered.
Anyway, it's a good try.
What's your take

1 Like

Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by luluosas(m): 10:22am On Sep 16, 2023
So, I harvested them to produce yam seedling for next farming season. And not all of them I harvested as some were very small.
Glory be to God

1 Like

Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by Ade3131: 1:47pm On Sep 16, 2023
The most important thing is that you've learnt a thing or two and one thing I observed is that you used full yam (sliced into two) as your seed yam.

I've never planted before but just as someone pointed out here, and based on what I've seen on other threads, they have yam seedlings that are cheaper and easier to source than buying full yam.

I believe the purpose of farming will be defeated if we buy 10 tuber of yam to plant only to harvest same 10 tuber. Fact is that you've learnt and it can only get better from this point onward. Well-done Sir.

1 Like

Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by Eagba(m): 5:33pm On Sep 17, 2023
luluosas:
So, I harvested them to produce yam seedling for next farming season. And not all of them I harvested as some were very small.
Glory be to God
Go price this yam for outside make you hear wetin them go tell you
Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by luluosas(m): 10:36am On Sep 19, 2023
A who lot oooooooooo
Eagba:

Go price this yam for outside make you hear wetin them go tell you
Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by luluosas(m): 2:45pm On Sep 20, 2023
You are very correct. Yeah, I planted with full yam, sliced from the bottom and I tore some into 2 because they were too big to be planted as one.
By the grace of God, next season, I may not used bags again, will just manage how many my small portion in the backyard can take. A big lesson I must tell you.

Ade3131:
The most important thing is that you've learnt a thing or two and one thing I observed is that you used full yam (sliced into two) as your seed yam.

I've never planted before but just as someone pointed out here, and based on what I've seen on other threads, they have yam seedlings that are cheaper and easier to source than buying full yam.

I believe the purpose of farming will be defeated if we buy 10 tuber of yam to plant only to harvest same 10 tuber. Fact is that you've learnt and it can only get better from this point onward. Well-done Sir.
Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by RepoMan007: 3:38pm On Sep 20, 2023
You tried o. At least those yams will cost N350 on average in market.
What next now after you harvest your sack yams?
Re: My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming by Christistruth00: 7:53pm On Sep 20, 2023
. well done !!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Large Quantity Of Cashew Nuts For Sale / Getting the right source of water for your farm / Local Fabrication Cages For Layers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.