Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,991 members, 7,817,919 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:57 PM

Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan (28221 Views)

Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan / Peter Obi Lands In Onitsha As Crowd Gathers (Pictures) / Unknown Gunmen Storm Onitsha As Residents Hail Them (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by Bhol28: 9:40am On Apr 01, 2023
They always hide from this,their problem is Lagos.They lead and join protest only in Lagos.They want to remove sanwo olu becos of agbero in Lagos but back home the same problem is even worst but they will never complain.Hypocrisy

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by obyno82: 9:42am On Apr 01, 2023
StOla:
Tinubu is to blame as usual.

They leave their erosion problems in the East while worrying about potholes in Lagos.

Owo mi da?

Someone should translate it to Igbo.

You don't have sense

1 Like

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by obyno82: 9:43am On Apr 01, 2023
madridguy:
grin grin grin

" A member of the National Youth Service Corps, Janet Ufodi, while narrating her ordeal in the hands of the hoodlums, said she was waiting for a commercial bus to carry her at Upper Iweka when she was accosted by two louts.

“They demanded I pay them for the luggage I carried, threatening to seize it.

“I was surprised that nobody came to my rescue as everybody was just watching as they were almost violently attacking me. At the end of the day, I parted with N2,000,” she added.
"

Sentiment aside, Anambra State is the worst state in Nigeria.

Their hatred for MC OLUOMO is simply because he is the richest and most popular agbero in Nigeria.

Do you know you are the worst liar and thief ever hownis Anambra the worst state? You just wake up and speak rubbish like a senseless human being.

1 Like

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by Nukilia: 9:43am On Apr 01, 2023
MasterTeeUSA:
I .

So should we just accept this norm...NO
Eliminating them is not the answer.

I wish this is how saner societies run. This your submission is recipe for crises. All the agberos must be treated the way Duterte treated the drug cartels in Manila. No room for domesticating rubbish!

2 Likes

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by obyno82: 9:44am On Apr 01, 2023
inoki247:
Blame Olu Omo shocked shocked shocked

Everybody from that side are Billionaire nd saint so I'm sure na Olu Omo export Agbero go that side to paint dem bad...

Dere own Agbero dey more brutal Dan Lagos own na only Commercial transport Lagos Agbero get business with buh he be like say for that side Na everybody if you've Leg, Bicycle, wheelchair you mus pay ...

Watchout doz hypocrite will come online to blame Soludo like the Agbero just start today once you catch dem and point out dere hypocrisy they will quickly come out and look for someone to blame....

There's no state in Nigeria without Agbero when you get to Abuja you will see just That in every state they're more coordinated than each other...

Buh how some people jus wake up paint dere own region nd state as eldorado is what I don't understand...

You are an expert liar as usual

1 Like

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by obyno82: 9:44am On Apr 01, 2023
raskymonojendor:

Of course.

You don't have sense
Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by obyno82: 9:45am On Apr 01, 2023
wahalawahala:
🙄 delusional republic of Biafrra where streets are tarred with gold, where trees grow money , where chickens lay gemstones, where every Monday is a public holiday.

You don't have sense
Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by inoki247: 9:46am On Apr 01, 2023
obyno82:

You are an expert liar as usual

Point out my lie since you guys love painting Lagos so bad....

Dispute my lie with fact no just coming to accuse me as a lier without any fact to dispute it...

1 Like

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by 77up(m): 9:47am On Apr 01, 2023
MasterTeeUSA:
I was speaking to someone about this issue of Agberos, and I told the person...Governance is like whac-a-mole. If you solve one problem, another rises. That is why I was praying GRV does not win because he would have turned Lagos into chaos...even those in Lekki would not be able to stay clear of major issues.

If you eliminate Agberos, what will you do with thousands of guys? Retrain then...some of them are drug addicts and drunkards...there is a reason they are doing agberos and I doubt they can do any formal education. What about artisan work? Have you seen some of these guys..you think they will learn plumbing or agriculture and wait for harvest and yields or for someone to call them for work before they can eat?

Lock them up in Jail...how many prisons will you build, how many staff, cost of feeding them and getting all of them through the court systems would be a major disaster.

1. You normalize them like Lagos agreed to do...Lagos should print the tickets

2. Allow these guys to sell them - maybe 500 tickets @ N1000 = N50,000; Private vehicles can pay N100 per day...that is N2k - N3k per month and it will be used to pay for people to maintain roads, clean gutters, and so on.

3. Pay them daily - like N5000 (N100,000 weekdays) which is 10% of the total take in and their Ogas will take N2500 (5%) per person

4. Create a hierarchy of leadership - One oga will have like 10 guys under in covering major areas...so Oga will cash in N500,000 monthly

5. This process for this Team will generate N42,500 per person (85%) which is N8.5million monthly (Salary N1.5m from Revenue intake of N10m monthly) for one area...Lagos can easily have 500 of these areas raking in N5billion and N60 billion annually. Anambra, Onitsha can do the same and the money will be channels to fix roads, drainages and revamp the markets.

6. Give or take the Govt can play with the figures and bring in 70-75% and increase the payment for Oga or boys or Ticket sale

7. You can also sell Morning, Afternoon, and Evening and use different sets of boys so you generate 3 times the revenue, multiply the employment by 3 and use 2 sets of Ogas or Same...

8. They will have distinct wears that they pick up at the Oga in the morning, afternoon or evening and they can switch them so it will be difficult for copycats to make them or have companies that will supply them these wears with random colors weekly.

9. These will eliminate the fake agberos and also provide employment chain for the uniform or vest suppliers...they will also take care of the dry cleaning needs.

10. Youths need employment..money must flow...you need to cater to different types of people. Eliminating them is not the answer.
You are intelligent sir, well done.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by obyno82: 9:47am On Apr 01, 2023
teeytimi:
Why igbo have refused to remove the lug in their eyes while trying to remove a peck from yoruba eyes speaks of hypocrisy. The agbero is the east is far worse than that of the West.

The East agberos will not only collect money from you by force, they will steal from you also while the one in the west only collect money

So Agberos in the west don't steal from you abi? The ones in Oshodi and Ajah don't steal abi? Keep being a hypocrite.

1 Like

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by 77up(m): 9:48am On Apr 01, 2023
It's not possible, no agbero in the East 😬
Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by obyno82: 9:49am On Apr 01, 2023
inoki247:

Point out my lie since you guys love painting Lagos so bad....

Dispute my lie with fact no just coming to accuse me as a lier without any fact to dispute it...

Wait you talk about Onitsha that the Agberos are violent. The ones in Lagos Island,Ajah and Oshodi don't they not steal and stab people to death there? Oga you people should stop throwing sponsored posts to push a propaganda narrative as this format don cast since. Look for something that can stick.

1 Like

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by Nukilia: 9:49am On Apr 01, 2023
Pabloma:

Onitsha is not only known for Agbero, it is also known for armed robbery, fake drugs, and products....that is why their leader is full of fake promises to them....Obi and fake lies are 5&6

Don't be unfortunate! Stop comparing apples with oranges.

All agberos across the country must be dealt with as domestic terrorist. Send the signal and all the lost souls Will get it

1 Like

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by Steveoo042: 9:50am On Apr 01, 2023
Cantonese:
Government can ensure an end to it.

Politicians make this country worse everyday. Touts are kept in place for elections, making it difficult for government to take them off the streets. With agberos, we will never have the right leaders in this country. Unfortunately too we have youth who claim to be educated, but are agbero in disguise. If your father is an agbero, bringing humongous sums home everyday, will you not support the system? The system that paid your school fees and gave you a good house and other properties? That’s what we face with educated children of agberos. I believe that there are too many of such youths here on Nairaland.

Buba Marwa showed the example when he was the governor of Lagos state, in 1996. Agberos had completely overrun Lagos state and citizens seemed completely helpless. Mile 2 was a war zone. One would pass that area with complete fear. Buba Marwa introduced “operation sweep” to the roads. What they simply did, even though it seemed high handed, was very effective in tackling the menace. They either shot them at sight or arrested them and disposed of them permanently. In a matter of days, agberos disappeared from the streets of Lagos completely until Tinubu arrived in 1999, as the state governor.

Anambra state, just like other states of the federation, faces the same problem. When governors say they will tackle agberos, it is simply on the face value. They never do it, even though they know that the simple language agberos understand is violence.

Our country has been ruined by corruption. It will only take a strong willed leader and the grace of God to save this country. When committees are set up to look into those matters, members of the committees receive bribes and the system continues. The humongous, non taxable amounts that get into the hands of security agents and government officials will always make them look the other way.

It is in the power of the people to resist such oppressively illegal groups. These non state actors can be easily addressed, if only the people take their destinies in their hands. Agberos are not faceless people. Attacking them in return will cause anarchy, but realistically what can the citizens do, when such criminal elements have gone haywire.

Should governments resettle them? Or should government send them to vocational centers? Remember that they say “crayfish wey don dey can never bend”. They will never change their ways. Earning money in that cheap way make them simply not interested in other forms of occupation.

The way forward is simply to return the military to the streets, simply for the purpose of tackling agberos. Also we must hope that such military personnel do not take bribes and look the other way.

Military personnel are the chief coordinators. Soludo needs to borrow a leaf from Peter Obi administration in Anambra and how he was able to drastically reduced them.

The truth is the Agberos are remitting millions to the big men (godfathers) we know daily, the governor needs to fight these men first, that was what Obi did and which is same reason why the Anambra big men don't like him.

1 Like

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by uncleade(m): 9:52am On Apr 01, 2023
author=MasterTeeUSA post=122208770]I was speaking to someone about this issue of Agberos, and I told the person...Governance is like whac-a-mole. If you solve one problem, another rises. That is why I was praying GRV does not win because he would have turned Lagos into chaos...even those in Lekki would not be able to stay clear of major issues.

If you eliminate Agberos, what will you do with thousands of guys? Retrain then...some of them are drug addicts and drunkards...there is a reason they are doing agberos and I doubt they can do any formal education. What about artisan work? Have you seen some of these guys..you think they will learn plumbing or agriculture and wait for harvest and yields or for someone to call them for work before they can eat?

Lock them up in Jail...how many prisons will you build, how many staff, cost of feeding them and getting all of them through the court systems would be a major disaster.

2. Allow these guys to sell them - maybe 500 tickets @ N1000 = N50,000; Private vehicles can pay N100 per day...that is N2k - N3k per month and it will be used to pay for people to maintain roads, clean gutters, and so on.

3. Pay them daily - like N5000 (N100,000 weekdays) which is 10% of the total take in and their Ogas will take N2500 (5%) per person

4. Create a hierarchy of leadership - One oga will have like 10 guys under in covering major areas...so Oga will cash in N500,000 monthly

5. This process for this Team will generate N42,500 per person (85%) which is N8.5million monthly (Salary N1.5m from Revenue intake of N10m monthly) for one area...Lagos can easily have 500 of these areas raking in N5billion and N60 billion annually. Anambra, Onitsha can do the same and the money will be channels to fix roads, drainages and revamp the markets.

6. Give or take the Govt can play with the figures and bring in 70-75% and increase the payment for Oga or boys or Ticket sale

7. You can also sell Morning, Afternoon, and Evening and use different sets of boys so you generate 3 times the revenue, multiply the employment by 3 and use 2 sets of Ogas or Same...

8. They will have distinct wears that they pick up at the Oga in the morning, afternoon or evening and they can switch them so it will be difficult for copycats to make them or have companies that will supply them these wears with random colors weekly.

9. These will eliminate the fake agberos and also provide employment chain for the uniform or vest suppliers...they will also take care of the dry cleaning needs.

10. Youths need employment..money must flow...you need to cater to different types of people. Eliminating them is not the answer. [/quote]
Easy say than done.
Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by inoki247: 9:53am On Apr 01, 2023
obyno82:

Wait you talk about Onitsha that the Agberos are violent. The ones in Lagos Island,Ajah and Oshodi don't they not steal and stab people to death there? Oga you people should stop throwing sponsored posts to push a propaganda narrative as this format don cast since. Look for something that can stick.

Show me where I made mentioned of been violent maybe you're dreaming or quote the wrong person...

Lagos Agbero as Neva harrassed me as a private car owner they only av business with Public transport while the one in Onitsha with Wheel barrow, Bicycle, Leg they don't mind exploiting you ....

Format don cast when you've Agbero in ur state buh you're telling us your place is heaven that nothing like Agbero you guys are hypocrite you will defend anything that comes out of ur region or states so far is not coming from Lagos....

If is all lie people would av stormed here to deny buh all your peeps av gone into hiding to hide dere shame...

6 Likes

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by Mikkeal: 9:53am On Apr 01, 2023
IT IS A LIE AGBEROS ARE ONLY IN LAGOS ,THEY WERE SENT BY OLUOMO BECAUSE THERE ARE NO MISCREANTS IN THE EAST
AWON WEREY YOU DONT SEE THEM COMMENTING NOW BUT IF NA SOUTHWEST YOU WILL SEE THEM MASTURBATING
AGBERO COLLECT #10,OOO FROM YOU ON ONITSHA BUT YOU WANT TO KILL YOURSELF WHEN THEY COLLECT #100 FROM YOU IN LAGOS

3 Likes

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by Banhammy717: 9:55am On Apr 01, 2023
Do we blame MC Oluomo for this one again?

2 Likes

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by Fearyourcreator: 9:59am On Apr 01, 2023
richeeyo:
Na Lagos be their headache
Abi na Tinubu boys
Awon oloriburuku... Make Nigeria give them their biafra ooo..

3 Likes

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by lapintoz: 10:00am On Apr 01, 2023
Children of hate will not comment here....they will flock away....but if it is Lagos, their so called fathers land, they will be having severe hallucinations.....

Obioma the weeping tailors....

3 Likes

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by TheMostComplex1: 10:01am On Apr 01, 2023
This's very worrisome
Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by Fearyourcreator: 10:03am On Apr 01, 2023
MasterTeeUSA:
I was speaking to someone about this issue of Agberos, and I told the person...Governance is like whac-a-mole. If you solve one problem, another rises. That is why I was praying GRV does not win because he would have turned Lagos into chaos...even those in Lekki would not be able to stay clear of major issues.

10. Youths need employment..money must flow...you need to cater to different types of people. Eliminating them is not the answer.
Many people no sabi this thing you dey talk... They just thought you go just enter dey give order like say na you get sense pass... E sweet na him Anambra no turn Dubai with infrastructure in 8years ...
Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by Fearyourcreator: 10:03am On Apr 01, 2023
VeeVeeMyLuv:

Are these guys not capable of being reformed?

Are they unreformable? Can't their minds be reprogrammed, retrained?
Oga werey sef dey America ... You wan reform adult... How many you wan reform ?

1 Like

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by bellotaofeek: 10:10am On Apr 01, 2023
Lagos has made them to forget their origin totally.... Dumb ass mf tongue

1 Like

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by hush15: 10:13am On Apr 01, 2023
MasterTeeUSA:

In other words, a very dangerous thinking. Normalizing a nuisance is why there is no more justice in the world

1 Like

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by Ventura1: 10:14am On Apr 01, 2023
A visit to warehouses in Ladipo will give insight into how Ndi agbero operate at Onitsha.
Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by obyno82: 10:22am On Apr 01, 2023
inoki247:

Show me where I made mentioned of been violent maybe you're dreaming or quote the wrong person...

Lagos Agbero as Neva harrassed me as a private car owner they only av business with Public transport while the one in Onitsha with Wheel barrow, Bicycle, Leg they don't mind exploiting you ....

Format don cast when you've Agbero in ur state buh you're telling us your place is heaven that nothing like Agbero you guys are hypocrite you will defend anything that comes out of ur region or states so far is not coming from Lagos....

If is all lie people would av stormed here to deny buh all your peeps av gone into hiding to hide dere shame...

Oga you atrocities a big liar. You are just trying to use propaganda to justify agbero in Lagos. Oga this format fon cast go and rest you have lost this battle.
Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by wahalawahala: 10:25am On Apr 01, 2023
obyno82:

You don't have sense
kneel make I pray for u

1 Like

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by doctorbabs(m): 10:29am On Apr 01, 2023
BASTA*D CHILDREN OF HATRED AND ANGER! CAN IMAGINE, LAGOS HAS ALWAYS BE THERE HEADACHE AND WORST IS GOING ON IN THERE GOD FORSAKEN REGION.

COULD YOU BELIEVE IT WAS IGBO MAN THAT INTRODUCED AGBERO IN OSHODI.. BOMBOY AND HIS BROTHER AUSTIN.

THEIR PARENTS WILL NEVER TELL THEM THE TRUTH

1 Like

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by inoki247: 10:29am On Apr 01, 2023
obyno82:

Oga you atrocities a big liar. You are just trying to use propaganda to justify agbero in Lagos. Oga this format fon cast go and rest you have lost this battle.

I know you guy's hate competition just tell us u want to dominate Agbero business....

1 Like

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by Hebraham(m): 10:32am On Apr 01, 2023
[That will only increase criminal activities in the society. ]Government can ensure an end to it.

Politicians make this country worse everyday. Touts are kept in place for elections, making it difficult for government to take them off the streets. With agberos, we will never have the right leaders in this country. Unfortunately too we have youth who claim to be educated, but are agbero in disguise. If your father is an agbero, bringing humongous sums home everyday, will you not support the system? The system that paid your school fees and gave you a good house and other properties? That’s what we face with educated children of agberos. I believe that there are too many of such youths here on Nairaland.

Buba Marwa showed the example when he was the governor of Lagos state, in 1996. Agberos had completely overrun Lagos state and citizens seemed completely helpless. Mile 2 was a war zone. One would pass that area with complete fear. Buba Marwa introduced “operation sweep” to the roads. What they simply did, even though it seemed high handed, was very effective in tackling the menace. They either shot them at sight or arrested them and disposed of them permanently. In a matter of days, agberos disappeared from the streets of Lagos completely until Tinubu arrived in 1999, as the state governor.

Anambra state, just like other states of the federation, faces the same problem. When governors say they will tackle agberos, it is simply on the face value. They never do it, even though they know that the simple language agberos understand is violence.

Our country has been ruined by corruption. It will only take a strong willed leader and the grace of God to save this country. When committees are set up to look into those matters, members of the committees receive bribes and the system continues. The humongous, non taxable amounts that get into the hands of security agents and government officials will always make them look the other way.

It is in the power of the people to resist such oppressively illegal groups. These non state actors can be easily addressed, if only the people take their destinies in their hands. Agberos are not faceless people. Attacking them in return will cause anarchy, but realistically what can the citizens do, when such criminal elements have gone haywire.

Should governments resettle them? Or should government send them to vocational centers? Remember that they say “crayfish wey don dey can never bend”. They will never change their ways. Earning money in that cheap way make them simply not interested in other forms of occupation.

The way forward is simply to return the military to the streets, simply for the purpose of tackling agberos. Also we must hope that such military personnel do not take bribes and look the other way.[/quote]
Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by LP78: 10:33am On Apr 01, 2023
I want to summarize the article for you

********************************************************************************************
Get guaranteed FREE bets up to 4K every week if you register with 1xbet using the promo code (1x_17402)
********************************************************************************************

The Nigerian city of Onitsha has been hit by a wave of violence as transport union members known as "Agberos" have taken control of the streets, extorting money from traders and motorists. The Agberos have a long history in Nigeria, operating as unofficial unions and filling the gap left by the government's failure to provide adequate transport infrastructure. However, they have become increasingly aggressive and violent in recent years, and now wield significant power in many cities.

The situation in Onitsha has deteriorated to the point where the police are afraid to intervene, and traders and motorists are left to suffer. The Agberos are accused of extorting money from drivers, seizing their vehicles and demanding ransom, and attacking anyone who defies them. Many traders have been forced to abandon their businesses, and some have been attacked and robbed.

The situation is causing widespread anger and frustration, with many calling on the government to take action to bring the Agberos under control. However, others argue that the problem is deeply rooted in Nigeria's transport system and that more fundamental changes are needed to tackle the issue. Until then, traders and motorists in Onitsha will continue to suffer at the hands of the Agberos.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

N10M Ransom Paid For Okonjo-Iweala’s Mother - Vanguard / "Boycott Of Melaye's Recall, An Indication That You’ve Lost Value" PDP To Bello / Nigerians Ask Ganduje To Resign Over November Fresh ‘Bribery Video’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.