Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,379 members, 7,819,382 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:15 PM

Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? (20101 Views)

Obi, Datti's Comments Didn't Violate Section 37 Of Criminal Code - Falana / Peter Obi: Another Unbelievable Phone Conversation Is Coming - Joe Igbokwe / NCC Denies Leaking Peter Obi's Phone Conversation With Oyedepo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by lhordspy: 6:32pm On Apr 02, 2023
Samtob90:

State has prerogative right once there is threat to national security. In such circumstances, the section of the law is suspended.
However, going ahead to publish such when there is no case in court is what I don't know.
However, such a thing is sometimes needed to put people on check on what they do or say especially when state security is needed

You are very wrong. No country has any right to wire-tap your phone conversation except with court permission.

You can never suspend constitution. It is not instruction, it is constitution. Everyone abide by it.
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by lhordspy: 6:34pm On Apr 02, 2023
callthefred:

Except Gazette is also protected by law. They are bound not to disclose their sources just like lawyers too. The fact is that Obi was careless. All politicians should expect their phones, offices, cars and even bedrooms to be bugged. This is a game for the mad people alone.

Lol. Very wrong. Once you are served a subpoena. And you are to testify in court. You are bound by oath. Withholding the truth is a crime.

Under the oath. You must spill everything.
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by Sermwell(m): 6:34pm On Apr 02, 2023
callthefred:

Except Gazette is also protected by law. They are bound not to disclose their sources just like lawyers too. The fact is that Obi was careless. All politicians should expect their phones, offices, cars and even bedrooms to be bugged. This is a game for the mad people alone.
That audio is obviously fake! Obi and Oyedepo can't be that careless! It was the ringing part that actually got me grin The fakers forgot to omit that part because it's not possible to record the ringing part before conversation begins. cheesy cheesy
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by Sermwell(m): 6:36pm On Apr 02, 2023
windvane:
stop acting pained than the owner...LP spokesman already confirmed that it is real,so why defend nothing....
Okonkwo actually jumped at it without confirmation or even double checking grin
I'm sure he's regretting it now cheesy cheesy
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by abdul23(m): 6:36pm On Apr 02, 2023
Honestly I found nothing wrong with that conversation. It was private. If we are opportuned or privy of the private conversation of those criticizing him, I'm sure we would see worse.
All politicians do or say lots of stuff to curry out sentiment.
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by windvane(m): 6:39pm On Apr 02, 2023
Sermwell:

Okonkwo actually jumped at it without confirmation or even double checking grin
I'm sure he's regretting it now cheesy cheesy
what do you mean by double checking,I am sure okonkwo wouldn't come out to say such if he wasn't given the go ahead.....The bishop also did not deny it,he said he can't be pushed
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by windvane(m): 6:41pm On Apr 02, 2023
abdul23:
Honestly I found nothing wrong with that conversation. It was private. If we are opportuned or privy of the private conversation of those criticizing him, I'm sure we would see worse.
All politicians do or say lots of stuff to curry out sentiment.
calling an election religious war is dangerous and out of proportion....I pray we do not witness religious war in Nigeria
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by obyrich(m): 6:41pm On Apr 02, 2023
Femmyfamous4u:
DSS has the right for national security.
Was it released by DSS?
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by Sermwell(m): 6:46pm On Apr 02, 2023
windvane:
what do you mean by double checking,I am sure okonkwo wouldn't come out to say such if he wasn't given the go ahead.....The bishop also did not deny it,he said he can't be pushed
Please first go and ask if it's possible to record the rigging part of an audio before conversation begins. Also help is find out which christian begins a conversation with..."in Jesus name" cheesy cheesy

These useless politicians just think the masses are foolish and can fall for anything. It's sad alot of people are proving them right. Chai grin
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by alizma: 7:33pm On Apr 02, 2023
lhordspy:
Maybe we should leave political sentiment asides. We all know Peter Obi made some extreme religious political moves during the presidential campaign period by manipulating, exploiting and exploring our religious diversity to his own advantage. But the thing is no matter how interesting the latest finding is and no matter how fulfilling it is for we the progressives. I think it is time we start asking questions about the supposedly 'exclusive-findings' of gazetteNGR of recent. With this latest one clearly violating the section 37 of the 1999 constitution of the Federal Republic of N8geria which state that:

''The privacy of citizens, their homes, correspondence, telephone conversations and telegraphic communications is hereby guaranteed and protected.''

Even though i dont know how these things work entirely. But i have seen some crime movies (for example: TheWire, Sopranos, Power etc) where even the law enforcement agents/agency will have to acquire something like a court-warrant or court permission with enough reasons; a very convincing motives, to be able to secretly wiretap phonecalls of a criminal or any other person during investigation. You have to convince a judge to the fullest before the warrant or permission is granted. Failure to secure the warrant and going ahead to carry out the action make it illegal, a crime with serious consequences which also render the voice-conversation gotten from such unauthorised secret-wiretap inadmissible in court as an evidence.

I think the labour party camp should drag gazetteNGR to court and whoever published that voice conversation should be made to testify as to the real source of the wiretap under oath. Somebody need to start paying for these illegal acts carried out all in the name of investigative journalism. We cant keep operating as a lawless country.

Today it is Peter Obi, it can be anyone tomorrow. I don't even feel safe making phonecalls anymore.

Your right seize to exist when public interest is at risk. In order words no individual's right supercedes that of the public. I hope this answer your question.
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by Fuadx1(m): 7:34pm On Apr 02, 2023
What can you say about Atiku, Okowa and Tambuwa recorded conversation?

lhordspy:
Maybe we should leave political sentiment asides. We all know Peter Obi made some extreme religious political moves during the presidential campaign period by manipulating, exploiting and exploring our religious diversity to his own advantage. But the thing is no matter how interesting the latest finding is and no matter how fulfilling it is for we the progressives. I think it is time we start asking questions about the supposedly 'exclusive-findings' of gazetteNGR of recent. With this latest one clearly violating the section 37 of the 1999 constitution of the Federal Republic of N8geria which state that:

''The privacy of citizens, their homes, correspondence, telephone conversations and telegraphic communications is hereby guaranteed and protected.''

Even though i dont know how these things work entirely. But i have seen some crime movies (for example: TheWire, Sopranos, Power etc) where even the law enforcement agents/agency will have to acquire something like a court-warrant or court permission with enough reasons; a very convincing motives, to be able to secretly wiretap phonecalls of a criminal or any other person during investigation. You have to convince a judge to the fullest before the warrant or permission is granted. Failure to secure the warrant and going ahead to carry out the action make it illegal, a crime with serious consequences which also render the voice-conversation gotten from such unauthorised secret-wiretap inadmissible in court as an evidence.

I think the labour party camp should drag gazetteNGR to court and whoever published that voice conversation should be made to testify as to the real source of the wiretap under oath. Somebody need to start paying for these illegal acts carried out all in the name of investigative journalism. We cant keep operating as a lawless country.

Today it is Peter Obi, it can be anyone tomorrow. I don't even feel safe making phonecalls anymore.

Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by olatuns2017: 7:47pm On Apr 02, 2023
derecho:
I don't care so long as what you leak is correct.Telcos record people's phone conversations.

The issue here is releasing lies

The phone conversation is FAKE.

Thank you daddy
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by Ijebulogic(m): 7:48pm On Apr 02, 2023
Hint of source...."Et tu Brutus? "
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by Nobody: 7:55pm On Apr 02, 2023
From what I understand, this thread is another childish mind game by APC agents who stupidly think they can lure unsuspecting Peter Obi supporters into accepting their theory of the leaked audio which we all know to be fake.

Peter Obi has always said to not vote for him on basis of ethnic or religious affiliation, but based on capacity, integrity and character.

Morever, I'm a staunch Winner. I listen to Papa Oyedepo almost every day. And I can tell you for free that what you heard is NOT exactly Bishop Oyedepo's voice I know. The audio is simply fake.

Meanwhile why would PO be asking for Kwara Christians to be talked to on election day? How on Earth will that help? They since the conversation was on the eve of the election. Unintelligent liars
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by Simplythebest: 8:22pm On Apr 02, 2023
What happened to Muslim Muslim ticket?
Obidient4Tinubu:
The audio is real.

Obi is worse than a religious fanatic and must be barred from our politics for life.

He will be disqualified for flouting the electoral act of campaigning on the basis of religion and campaigning on the eve of the election.
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by Onyipk: 8:37pm On Apr 02, 2023
In law, illegality is not a basis of legality.

It's totally ILLEGAL!But we are not worried!

EVERY OBIDIENT IN THE HOUSE PLEASE THANK GOD FOR GIVING US A STAINLESS YES DADDY!

UNLIKE SOME CROOKED DADDY TO SOME people who is a ;

1) Druggie organiser
2) Fake certificate presenter
3) Renter of FAKE BISHOPS etc.

derecho:
I don't care so long as what you leak is correct.Telcos record people's phone conversations.

Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by Antimandatethie(m): 8:41pm On Apr 02, 2023
ThatFairGuy1:
How is it fake Please?

Tell us

You wan't answer ko you'll have it .
The same way every evidence on tinubu the [RIGGING MECHING] Is fa. .ke..
Know answer me right away even if this is true uhm is it not far better than tinubu mu:mu ticket ehn..
you will call sane people wailers when you are the true wailers here......
a dinga fadin gaskiya fa kaji ko danuwa na sai an ji ma
#YESISAIDIT
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by myhero: 8:41pm On Apr 02, 2023
derecho:

Labour party spokesman Kenneth okonkwo has already confirmed its real and u who is not even a labour party member is saying it's fake
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by occfx: 8:45pm On Apr 02, 2023
lhordspy:

Even IPOB knows you shouldn't be making an informal calls with Nigerian telecom. Whatsapp and Signal calls are more secured. PO take note... Tinubu makes calls with encrypted internet links... Employ good IT guys for your security.
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by Samtob90(m): 9:13pm On Apr 02, 2023
lhordspy:

You are very wrong. No country has any right to wire-tap your phone conversation except with court permission.

You can never suspend constitution. It is not instruction, it is constitution. Everyone abide by it.
Even in the case of state of emergency, you declare before you send to national assembly for ratification. During this time, fundamental human right is suspended.
Make calls to terrorist and see if your call would not be tapped in.
Some of these information are classified and until when released, you won't know
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by lhordspy: 9:41pm On Apr 02, 2023
Samtob90:

Even in the case of state of emergency, you declare before you send to national assembly for ratification. During this time, fundamental human right is suspended.
Make calls to terrorist and see if your call would not be tapped in.
Some of these information are classified and until when released, you won't know

Brother. That is because the 'terrorist' phone line has been tapped not mine. And for someone to have tapped the terrorist phone line, you need court permission.

Tapping a terrorist phone-line without court warrant is illegal and if you ever nap the terrorist, then you have no evidence to present from the audio-conversation because it is unauthorised and rendering it inadmissible in court.
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by lhordspy: 9:42pm On Apr 02, 2023
alizma:

Your right seize to exist when public interest is at risk. In order words no individual's right supercedes that of the public. I hope this answer your question.

You said nothing. Infact your opinion is more misleading than convincing.
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by Igwe85(m): 9:48pm On Apr 02, 2023
Thank You daddy
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by SaLongs1(m): 9:49pm On Apr 02, 2023
Lemos14:

You dey mind them..Lhordspy dey try he is really getting a fat paycheck..I commend him for his efforts
That fellow is demented and ought to seek pychiatric help.
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by popez: 9:58pm On Apr 02, 2023
Peter Obi made some extreme religious moves? May thunder fire you and your entire generation OP. Bloody bastard!
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by Ghezo: 10:03pm On Apr 02, 2023
lhordspy:

You're a mangy mongrel, a dog with no value
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by gawu1: 10:03pm On Apr 02, 2023
lhordspy:

Lol. Delusions of an amateur conspiracy theorist.

Maybe you should take a stroll to do twitter page of gazetteNGR yourself. GazetteNGR dont care about false neutrality, they publish sh!t about anything and anyone with reckless abandonment. They have a very sour- stretched history with APC.

If anyone is sponsoring them. My money will definitely be on Labour party.
You are wasting your time trying to put senses in those sore losers. Do you think they are often referred to as children of hates for nothing? Hate is really 90% constituent of their brains properties. These are people openly denigrating a person like Tinubu without any sense of remorse or retrospect in the name of politics. But each time they are served in their own ways they would go agitated, playing victims card.
We all so how the chief justice was radicle few days ago by these pigs relying on this same source that exposed bar face religious and tribal bigotry their made messiah, we all saw how the chief justice was radicle few days ago by these zomobidogs pigs.
You have said the obvious which I believe make sense to those who have one. And I also believe that your mission is not to please or attract pleases. Therefore, I urge that you ignore them to continue with their wagging interpretation since it pleases their wailing.
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by bdon123(m): 10:14pm On Apr 02, 2023
Obidient4Tinubu:
The audio is real.

Obi is worse than a religious fanatic and must be barred from our politics for life.

He will be disqualified for flouting the electoral act of campaigning on the basis of religion and campaigning on the eve of the election.
wat electoral act is that?Obi must reclaim his mandate....its obvious opposition is scared there jst too mch evidence for election rerun to be carried out
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by JagabanBorgu: 10:28pm On Apr 02, 2023
9japride:
OP and the rest commentators are masters in propaganda and mischief. Chief gaslighters. Always, taking advantage of the naive nature of the masses to control the narrative and influence their thought processes. You have rush to open a thread to make it look like Peter Obi's phone was tap. You know it's fake news, but yet still hold onto the lies. That's how you all said Peter Obi son stepped on Nigeria flag and still held on to that fake news.
Nigerians should expect more fake news and propaganda from the wicked ones concerning the opposition party of LP.
The earlier guys understand that majority of these kind of political propaganda have religious tune, they better. We all call ourselves one Nigeria, but hatred and wicked scheming is what guys specialize on.
Guys be very careful when disgusting contents made by the OP and their likes.
U Obi's followers have peddled more lies than any group in this election.
Why complaining now?
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by 9japride(m): 10:53pm On Apr 02, 2023
JagabanBorgu:

U Obi's followers have peddled more lies than any group in this election.
Why complaining now?
[color=#006600][/color]

Nobody is complaining, just letting the sensible Nigerians know was up.
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by JagabanBorgu: 11:19pm On Apr 02, 2023
9japride:
[color=#006600][/color]

Nobody is complaining, just letting the sensible Nigerians know was up.
Kenneth Okonkwo ur Eluu P spokesperson already said the audio is true and not faked, why making up another lie and defèñding it now?
Yes daddy!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Sani Abacha Died, By Jerry Useni / Gej's Delegation To Brazil Is World's Largest - SaharaReporters / Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.