Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,148 members, 7,811,276 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:04 AM

FG Approves 173 Loan Apps, Bars Illegal Online Banks - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / FG Approves 173 Loan Apps, Bars Illegal Online Banks (35339 Views)

CBN Revokes Operational Licenses Of 4,173 Bdcs / FG Orders Google, Apple To Deactivate ‘illegal’ Online Banks, Loan Apps / FG Shuts Illegal Online Banks, Freezes Business Accounts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Approves 173 Loan Apps, Bars Illegal Online Banks by adenigga(m): 6:27am On Apr 04, 2023
The Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission has approved 173 digital lending applications to operate in the country.

Of the 173, 119 have full approvals and 54 have conditional approvals. After loan apps started harassing Nigerians, the FCCPC began a registration drive to protect citizens from the atrocities of these apps.

It released a ‘Limited Interim Regulatory/ Registration Framework and Guidelines for Digital Lending 2022’ to regulate the digital lending space and make registration and approval a prerequisite for companies seeking to operate in the space.

After shifting its deadline multiple times, it finally adopted March 27, 2023, as the close of registration. The commission has now released a list of approved apps that can operate in the country. Companies without approvals will not be able to operate in the space.

Commenting on its effort against digital lending apps in August 2022, the FCCPC said, “In addition to the enforcement action(s) and in furtherance of the desire to promote fair, transparent and mutually beneficial alternative lending opportunities apart from traditional lending to consumers, the inter-agency Joint Regulatory and Enforcement Task Force has developed and mutually adopted a Limited Interim Regulatory/ Registration Framework and Guidelines for Digital Lending, 2022 as the first and interim step to establishing a clear regulatory framework.

“This becomes enforceable immediately. It requires permission to proceed in digital lending; it provides a limited moratorium period for existing businesses to comply in order to continue in digital lending.

“The guidelines also mandate different service providers in the relevant ecosystem (such as banks, access/download platforms or stores, technology providers and payment systems) to require regulatory approval before providing services.”

Some of the approved loan apps listed by the commission include Branch International Financial Services Limited, Fairmoney Micro Finance Bank, Pivo Technology Limited, Renmoney Microfinance Bank Limited, Carbon Microfinance Bank Limited, Creditwave Finance Limited amongst others.

Loans without the FCCPC’s approval will be removed from Play Store by Google and unavailable for download.

In November, Google Play announced updates to its Developer Program Policy, which mandated that digital money lenders in Nigeria, India, Indonesia, the Philippines, and Kenya must conform to regulatory rules.

This was expected to come into force from January 31, 2023. In March, Google took down hundreds of unapproved loan apps from the Play Store in Kenya according to a report on TechCrunch.

In February 2023, the Nigeria Data Protection Bureau revealed that a national committee, made up of federal agencies, was working in tandem to clip the activities of illegal loan apps in the country.

Source: https://punchng.com/FG-approves-173-loan-apps-bars-illegal-online-banks

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FG Approves 173 Loan Apps, Bars Illegal Online Banks by Hezzyluv: 6:30am On Apr 04, 2023
Way to go. Because, some of these loan sharks are just fraudulent. How can you borrow someone #10,000 and expect him to payback 16k within 7day? Shey na bet9ja him wan use the money for

I created thread on crime section, of how one of them keeps calling my mobile line every week telling me to repay the loan l took from them or else, they would send sabotaging SMS/calls to my contacts. And I have NEVER in my life applied for a loan. sad

153 Likes 18 Shares

Re: FG Approves 173 Loan Apps, Bars Illegal Online Banks by yinkus6750(m): 6:32am On Apr 04, 2023
Every aspect of business, needs to be well regulated by respective government agencies and need to operate base on stipulated guidelines
However, the interest of the financial institutions also need to be protected , to guide against huge loss .

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Approves 173 Loan Apps, Bars Illegal Online Banks by Ganimu: 6:33am On Apr 04, 2023
Good one

4 Likes

Re: FG Approves 173 Loan Apps, Bars Illegal Online Banks by stevenoja: 6:34am On Apr 04, 2023
Better late than never

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Approves 173 Loan Apps, Bars Illegal Online Banks by Honchoslim16(m): 7:01am On Apr 04, 2023
All my life I just wanted a milli'
"What's on your wrist?" Richard Millie
With Lil Uzi when I'm out in Philly
Don't show you broke boys no pity

5 Likes

Re: FG Approves 173 Loan Apps, Bars Illegal Online Banks by Mrvictorwrite(m): 7:05am On Apr 04, 2023
Good riddance.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Approves 173 Loan Apps, Bars Illegal Online Banks by Jicqueville: 7:43am On Apr 04, 2023
Good one, Hope it's not own by all this politicians...

Anyways, Stop putting the lives of your family members in danger with septic tank that allows snake in the closets, which can cause snake bite or even death! To avoid this, build a biodigester today.

2 Likes

Re: FG Approves 173 Loan Apps, Bars Illegal Online Banks by jaeyking(m): 7:45am On Apr 04, 2023
The interest of the loan sharks should also be protected

How Nigerians will borrow and refuse to pay is something I can't understand

After the loan shark take drastic measures they start screaming foul play

37 Likes 4 Shares

Re: FG Approves 173 Loan Apps, Bars Illegal Online Banks by iyabeji14: 7:53am On Apr 04, 2023
Despite that, the refusal to pay back should be handled professionally.
Banks also have bad loans but have never harassed their customers in an unprofessional manner

71 Likes 4 Shares

Re: FG Approves 173 Loan Apps, Bars Illegal Online Banks by inoki247: 7:54am On Apr 04, 2023
😂😂😂

Oya dey borrow money dey go una use am resemble Buhari...

If dem ask una Wu be una role model jus say Buhari...

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Approves 173 Loan Apps, Bars Illegal Online Banks by Fut9ure: 8:00am On Apr 04, 2023
Okay
Re: FG Approves 173 Loan Apps, Bars Illegal Online Banks by money121(m): 8:00am On Apr 04, 2023
Ok
Re: FG Approves 173 Loan Apps, Bars Illegal Online Banks by FalseProphet1(m): 8:01am On Apr 04, 2023
I see Nigerians borrowing thousands from these approved companies and not paying back, I see the companies folding up.

This I have seen.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Approves 173 Loan Apps, Bars Illegal Online Banks by Jamiubond009(m): 8:01am On Apr 04, 2023
grin All those people wey borrow money and no gree pay back their loans with the thinking that they have escaped,oya nah grin grin Phone calls to your family and friends reminding them that you are a fraudster will resume shortly. No rest for the wicked grin grin

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Approves 173 Loan Apps, Bars Illegal Online Banks by seanwilliam(m): 8:01am On Apr 04, 2023
Sha no ban opay and palmpay

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Approves 173 Loan Apps, Bars Illegal Online Banks by bigdammyj: 8:01am On Apr 04, 2023
Noted.
Re: FG Approves 173 Loan Apps, Bars Illegal Online Banks by OdogwuMoney6: 8:02am On Apr 04, 2023
If you have 120k and you want to buy a good laptop, check my last thread
Re: FG Approves 173 Loan Apps, Bars Illegal Online Banks by megyucyautos: 8:02am On Apr 04, 2023
grin
inoki247:
😂😂😂

Oya dey borrow money dey go una use am resemble Buhari...

If dem ask una Wu be una role model jus say Buhari...
Re: FG Approves 173 Loan Apps, Bars Illegal Online Banks by Lifestone(m): 8:02am On Apr 04, 2023
I don't get. When has it become the responsibility of FCCPC to give operational approval to Loan Apps. This is obviously under the purview of the Central Bank of Nigeria.

6 Likes

Re: FG Approves 173 Loan Apps, Bars Illegal Online Banks by GreaterFuture(m): 8:03am On Apr 04, 2023
173??
Re: FG Approves 173 Loan Apps, Bars Illegal Online Banks by Padosky242(m): 8:04am On Apr 04, 2023
Hope it didn't affect Opay ! I no fit shout oOoOO 🤠
Re: FG Approves 173 Loan Apps, Bars Illegal Online Banks by Basicend: 8:05am On Apr 04, 2023
iyabeji14:
Despite that, the refusal to pay back should be handled professionally.
Banks also have bad loans but have never harassed their customers in an unprofessional manner

Why would you go and borrow when u know u don't have capacity to pay back?

Be ready for a wide disgrace in that case.

5 Likes

Re: FG Approves 173 Loan Apps, Bars Illegal Online Banks by Goodlady(f): 8:06am On Apr 04, 2023
I dislike all loan apps that you can't use as normal online banks. Thanks to Opay, Palmpay, Kuda, Moniepoint, Baxi etc this new note era. Hunger for kill person.
The FG has proven again that our lives no matter. See them approving loan banks especially that fair money that ran advert on YouTube to the extent that if you aren't careful you ll install it by mistake. Anywhere on YouTube is fair money. It's as if they did it to target Nigerians.
Unfortunate loan shark bank that ll go bankrupt this year, amen.

5 Likes

Re: FG Approves 173 Loan Apps, Bars Illegal Online Banks by Skillsnigeria: 8:06am On Apr 04, 2023
Noted
Re: FG Approves 173 Loan Apps, Bars Illegal Online Banks by MorataFC: 8:07am On Apr 04, 2023
Is that not too much?

2 Likes

Re: FG Approves 173 Loan Apps, Bars Illegal Online Banks by Padosky242(m): 8:07am On Apr 04, 2023
Basicend:

Why would you go and borrow when u know I don't have capacity to pay back?

Be ready for a wide disgrace in that case.

You day mind am .... Nigerians always have a way to telling a story to favor them ....

Didn't you read the terms and condition before applying to collect!

If it's not convenient for you .... Where did you collect it in the first place!??

Nigerians and always looking for how to manipulate a system to favor them

4 Likes

Re: FG Approves 173 Loan Apps, Bars Illegal Online Banks by Femmyfamous4u(m): 8:07am On Apr 04, 2023
Hezzyluv:
Way to go. Because, some of these loan sharks are just fraudulent. How can you borrow someone #10,000 and expect him to payback 16k within 7day? Shey na bet9ja him wan use the money for

I created thread on crime section, of how one of them keeps calling my mobile line every week telling me to repay the loan it took from theor else, they would sabotaging SMS/calls to my contacts. And I have NEVER in my life applied for a loan. sad

Someone must have done that using your contact details.

2 Likes

Re: FG Approves 173 Loan Apps, Bars Illegal Online Banks by FiremanX: 8:07am On Apr 04, 2023
Nigerians also should stop borrowing if they can't meet the target or pay back.

2 Likes

Re: FG Approves 173 Loan Apps, Bars Illegal Online Banks by jericco1(m): 8:07am On Apr 04, 2023
Omo Chinese loan apps
Re: FG Approves 173 Loan Apps, Bars Illegal Online Banks by atobs4real(m): 8:08am On Apr 04, 2023
Good development. The fake ones almost hijack our life

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Shoprite Customers Struggle To Buy Bread In Owerri (Video) / Femi Otedola Emerges Chairman Of First Bank / CBN Announces Price Verification System Portal (PVS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.