Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,640 members, 7,820,242 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:02 PM

I Can Mention Achebes Book. How Many Soyinka Book U Sabi - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / I Can Mention Achebes Book. How Many Soyinka Book U Sabi (4417 Views)

Wole Soyinka With Founding Members Of Pyrate In 1952 (Throwback Photo) / Wole Soyinka Reacts To Wedding Of His Son, Oretunlewa And Nneka Ekechukwu / Oretunlewa Soyinka And Nneka Ekechukwu's Wedding In Atlanta (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Can Mention Achebes Book. How Many Soyinka Book U Sabi by grandstar(m): 10:41pm On Apr 09, 2023
MikeofAfrica:

Achebe won the Commonwealth Poetry Award in 1972 . He published more than five Poetry works.

I knew Achebe has poetry skills. It's actually a skill many writers have.

One of my favorite of his was "The sinister grin of Africa's idiot kings, who oversee from obscene palaces of gold, the butchery of their own people". The name of the poem was Augusto Nelo.

You therefore make a good point.

Do you know who Willian Yates is? I deliberately included his name when I asked if people knew who he was?

He was the Irish poet who wrote "The Second Coming".

It was an except from that poem that Chinua Achebe penned the name of his phenomenal novel "Things fall apart".

I do not hate Achebe. I have reread Things Fall Apart and does deserve to be included in 12 of the books that one should read, in the same league as "To kill a mockingbird".

1 Like

Re: I Can Mention Achebes Book. How Many Soyinka Book U Sabi by Obaaderemi2: 10:43pm On Apr 09, 2023
MikeofAfrica:

You really don't know the process of giving an award such as the Nobel Prize.

All the books of an authors will earn him a nomination . To win the award, an author needs to have a masterclass book that is more intellectually sound than each of the other books written by his/ her competitors.

However the issue is that the Nobel Prize has long been compromised. The last winner of the award is Mrs. Annie Ernaux from France.

She is not known to have written any popular poetry, novel, drama or play. She simply wrote series of autobiography about her life experiences.

The French played the underground politics for her and she won the award. Hence very soon, some kids from France will be arguing that Annie Ernaux is better than James Joyce and William Shakespeare that never won the Nobel Prize.

Forget the Nobel Prize. If you have the money and international connections today, all you need to do to win the award is to hire a lecturer in Nigeria to write your autobiography on your behalf.

You people never learn. The award is for the author based on his works and not a particular book.

Money and connection are what you need to win the Nobel prize? grin

2 Likes

Re: I Can Mention Achebes Book. How Many Soyinka Book U Sabi by MikeofAfrica: 11:06pm On Apr 09, 2023
Obaaderemi2:
You people never learn. The award is for the author based on his works and not a particular book.

Money and connection are what you need to win the Nobel prize? grin

So Annie Ernaux is presently the best author in the world.

Her autobiography is better than the books of all reknown authors that are yet to win the Nobel Prize.

Go to bed. You are too naive to discuss international politics.
Re: I Can Mention Achebes Book. How Many Soyinka Book U Sabi by samwheel(m): 11:13pm On Apr 09, 2023
Yugoslavia247:

Chimmanda is Achebe intellectual offspring.
Show me Soyinka own

You're definitely blank upstairs.

Show us Albert Einstein's offspring, show us Shakespeare or Michael Jackson or Michelangelo or Archimedes or Pele or maradona. đŸ€”

No let hate kill you, is it by force to support obi. đŸ˜Č

Truly, Obidient is a cult group, to think I was part of it really worries me.

Someone cannot have contrary opinion or oppose peter obi again abi 🙄

Obi is over hyped, same way buhari was hyped and he destroyed the country.

If Obi loses in court, hope u won't suffer from heartbreak coz some Obidients have moved on.

What we pray for is that the new government favors the country and not ranting online like an idiot.

3 Likes

Re: I Can Mention Achebes Book. How Many Soyinka Book U Sabi by MikeofAfrica: 11:30pm On Apr 09, 2023
PulaPower:

Politics can’t win you a Nobel laureate. You people with self-imaginations that are wrong ehh. Different institutions all around the world would first review all your collective works. Then after they’re done, they’ll pick the major contestant.

Then another set of institutions would further review all contestants. They’ll select the main contestants that are qualified for final review! The contestants that made it for the final review would then go through further review by another set of institutions all around the world! It’s one tough award to win! The time taken to pick the winner isn’t joke!

So politics can’t win you it! It’s not something that’s been decided by mere groups, but collectives from all continents. Go and check the contestants that WS got nominated with, then you’d know the man is beyond all these things you people are saying here..

Annie Ernaux - what made her won isn’t what you mentioned. You get awarded for a Nobel prize not for a single work, but for a life’s work. I heard this her project * A Man's Place and A Woman's Story* earned her alot and was part of her success. It was published in 1988..

So politics is far from what can get you a Nobel!

During his lifetime, James Joyce was regarded as the greatest English author on Earth.

So if the Nobel Prize was strictly awarded base on merit, why did James Joyce not win the award?

Assuming Annie Ernaux is from a poor African nation like Togo, will she have been nominated for the award?

Without underground politics, no author can win the Noble prize base on his/ her autobiography.
Re: I Can Mention Achebes Book. How Many Soyinka Book U Sabi by grandstar(m): 12:15am On Apr 10, 2023
Yugoslavia247:

Oga go and sit down.

Do you know how many writers reject nobel prize.

You think they care.

Which writers have rejected the Noble prize?

It is a pity this Chinua Achebe vs Wole Soyinka rivalry has anything to do with literary excellence but with tribalism.

Due to this, more cogent reason why Achebe did not get the revered prize are overlooked.

1 Like

Re: I Can Mention Achebes Book. How Many Soyinka Book U Sabi by jagorinho: 12:26am On Apr 10, 2023
hardbody:

https://www.nairaland.com/7646592/did-wole-soyinka-betray-other#122400380

What he did is typical of his people.
Answer my question, did Achebe ever near clinching Nobel prize talkless of rejecting it? You want to compare a father Xmas prose writer with an enigma in African literature? Seems mmpuru mmiri is still ravaging your region .

1 Like

Re: I Can Mention Achebes Book. How Many Soyinka Book U Sabi by Christian36: 12:56am On Apr 10, 2023
Sangoamadioha1:

Don't you think the fault is your intellectual capacity
It has nothing to do with intellectual capacity. Take a book of Achebe and that of Soyinka and ready it, you will know that the difference is clear.
Re: I Can Mention Achebes Book. How Many Soyinka Book U Sabi by Christian36: 12:58am On Apr 10, 2023
jagorinho:

Answer my question, did Achebe ever near clinching Nobel prize talkless of rejecting it? You want to compare a father Xmas prose writer with an enigma in African literature? Seems mmpuru mmiri is still ravaging your region .
Just keep your mouth shut. Soyinka only won it once, Chimamanda Who should be the age of Soyinka children has won similar prize thrice and you are here vomiting rubbish.
Re: I Can Mention Achebes Book. How Many Soyinka Book U Sabi by kay29000(m): 1:08am On Apr 10, 2023
Christian36:
Just keep your mouth shut. Soyinka only won it once, Chimamanda Who should be the age of Soyinka children has won it thrice and you are here vomiting rubbish.

Chimamanda won Nobel Prize three times?? cheesy

Na wa for some of you people o.

1 Like

Re: I Can Mention Achebes Book. How Many Soyinka Book U Sabi by Christian36: 1:13am On Apr 10, 2023
kay29000:

Chimamanda won Nobel Prize three times?? cheesy

Na wa for some of you people o.
Go and do your research.
Re: I Can Mention Achebes Book. How Many Soyinka Book U Sabi by Blazebond(m): 5:56am On Apr 10, 2023
Nor be me go tell you the books when Soyinka write,till tomorrow schools all over the world will give a princely sum for PROFESSOR WOLE SOYINKA to be with them for just a month so carry your clown brain go find something else to reason.

1 Like

Re: I Can Mention Achebes Book. How Many Soyinka Book U Sabi by Ijebulogic(m): 6:05am On Apr 10, 2023
"He was arrested in 1967, accused of conspiring with the Biafra rebels, and was held as a political prisoner for 22 months until 1969....." - https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/literature/1986/soyinka/facts/

Its a pity that people are so ignorant and dont know their history. Soyinka was ready to die for Biafra in the sixties and sentenced to death by Abacha in the 90s. A real warrior and African hero.

1 Like

Re: I Can Mention Achebes Book. How Many Soyinka Book U Sabi by iblawi(m): 6:20am On Apr 10, 2023
Yugoslavia247:
Things fall apart
Arrow of God
There was a country
No longer at ease
A man of the people
Anthill of the savannah

Re: I Can Mention Achebes Book. How Many Soyinka Book U Sabi by iblawi(m): 6:22am On Apr 10, 2023
This man is greater than any igbo man that have ever stayed on earth.

2 Likes

Re: I Can Mention Achebes Book. How Many Soyinka Book U Sabi by Obaaderemi2: 7:04am On Apr 10, 2023
MikeofAfrica:

So Annie Ernaux is presently the best author in the world.

Her autobiography is better than the books of all reknown authors that are yet to win the Nobel Prize.

Go to bed. You are too naive to discuss international politics.
Illiterate, Annie Emaux is the best rated international writer for now. Her works are very deep, not for low grade readers like you. Stick to James Hadley Chase. wink

1 Like

Re: I Can Mention Achebes Book. How Many Soyinka Book U Sabi by Obaaderemi2: 7:06am On Apr 10, 2023
Christian36:
Just keep your mouth shut. Soyinka only won it once, Chimamanda Who should be the age of Soyinka children has won it thrice and you are here vomiting rubbish.
MikeofAfrica, come and see your fellow illiterate. grin
Re: I Can Mention Achebes Book. How Many Soyinka Book U Sabi by Christian36: 7:22am On Apr 10, 2023
Obaaderemi2:
MikeofAfrica, come and see your fellow illiterate. grin
I mean to say he won three different prizes similar to the main one.
Re: I Can Mention Achebes Book. How Many Soyinka Book U Sabi by othermen: 7:26am On Apr 10, 2023
Achebe is one of our greatest export.

His classic “Things fall apart” is a testament to this.

There are those that think the quality of a book should be measured by its popularity or by how popular it’s.

Without alluding to any such deficient premises; the argument for Professor Achebe being a top-top author is still easy to make.

The fixation that Achebe is not a top author because he didn’t get the prize for literature is another deficient line of reasoning. Achebe himself legitimized such, by his subtle inverse valuation of the prize validation. Achebe had suggested that such a prize do not bereft him of being “Asiwaju” of Africa’s literature.

Achebe had his right to boast, or to engage in any such self-absorption. His last contribution in “There was a country” was a longer testament to such tendencies of viewing in Soyinka a contempore adversary or the rest of Nigeria as an adversary to the ambition of his east.

Such personal quality whether you call it some form of chauvinism, however, do not diminish the quality of his classic ‘s’.

I have not read him or Soyinka to determine who is the better author. I recognize they have different styles, and that the level of their critical application varies, but in none of their works, have more or less been wanting.

The differences play a role in the level of appeal, personally experienced, but not to such extents that it evokes a disparaging of either.
Re: I Can Mention Achebes Book. How Many Soyinka Book U Sabi by lereinter(m): 7:48am On Apr 10, 2023
obïfööls sha
Re: I Can Mention Achebes Book. How Many Soyinka Book U Sabi by Minjim: 8:09am On Apr 10, 2023
Yugoslavia247:
Things fall apart
Arrow of God
There was a country
No longer at ease
A man of the people
Anthill of the savannah

Wole Soyinka, unlike Achebe is not just a novelist, he's a poet, novelist, playwright and a political activists.

If you're not a literary student you won't come across much of his works. I only read
I've read and appraised many of his work while in school so I can mention more than 5 of it

Trial of brother Jero ( play)
The man died (non-fiction novel)
Abiku. (Poem)
Season of Anomy ( 2nd novel)
The Interpreter ( his debut novel)
The lion and the jewel ( play)
The beatification of Area boy(play)

Won't. Soyinka's versatility is what sets him miles ahead of his contemporaries. He could delve into any genre and distinguish himself conveniently. Achebe's works are that difficult to appraise for literature students unlike Wole Soyinka's

1 Like

Re: I Can Mention Achebes Book. How Many Soyinka Book U Sabi by Minjim: 8:14am On Apr 10, 2023
othermen:
Achebe is one of our greatest export.

His classic “Things fall apart” is a testament to this.

There are those that think the quality of a book should be measured by its popularity or by how popular it’s.

Without alluding to any such deficient premises; the argument for Professor Achebe being a top-top author is still easy to make.

The fixation that Achebe is not a top author because he didn’t get the prize for literature is another deficient line of reasoning. Achebe himself legitimized such, by his subtle inverse valuation of the prize validation. Achebe had suggested that such a prize do not bereft him of being “Asiwaju” of Africa’s literature.

Achebe had his right to boast, or to engage in any such self-absorption. His last contribution in “There was a country” was a longer testament to such tendencies of Soyinka as his contempore adversary or the rest of Nigeria as an adversary to the ambition of his east.

Should the quality of a song be measured by popularity, Or experts opinions?

All these because Achebe wasn't good enough to win a Noble.

Ask around literally world, everyone knows who's Mvp of literature between Wole and Achebe.
Re: I Can Mention Achebes Book. How Many Soyinka Book U Sabi by Minjim: 8:17am On Apr 10, 2023
Christian36:
I mean to say he won three different prizes similar to the main one.

There is no other prize similar to Noble

1 Like

Re: I Can Mention Achebes Book. How Many Soyinka Book U Sabi by MikeofAfrica: 8:59am On Apr 10, 2023
Obaaderemi2:
Illiterate, Annie Emaux is the best rated international writer for now. Her works are very deep, not for low grade readers like you. Stick to James Hadley Chase. wink

Your arguments have been that Soyinka won the award because he wrote all the different genre of literature from poetry, novels, dramas and plays. While Achebe did not win because he wrote only novel.

Of course, You forgot that Achebe won the Commonwealth Poetry award in 1972.

Now I confided in you that Annie Ernaux won the Nobel Prize for writing only her autobiography. You now change your argument that her autobiography books are deep.

So the evergreen books of James Joyce that made him the greatest English writer of his time we're not deep enough to win him the Nobel prize. So Things fall Apart that has been translated to over 50 languages is not deep enough to win Achebe the Nobel Prize.

Will Annie Ernaux have been nominated for the award if she is from a poor African nation ?
Re: I Can Mention Achebes Book. How Many Soyinka Book U Sabi by MikeofAfrica: 9:07am On Apr 10, 2023
Minjim:

Should the quality of a song be measured by popularity, Or experts opinions?

All these because Achebe wasn't good enough to win a Noble.

Ask around literally world, everyone knows who's Mvp of literature between Wole and Achebe.

Achebe was denied the Nobel Prize for exposing the actrocities of the Western nations in Africa during the Colonial era.

The Nobel Prize is not a yardstick for knowing the best authors. James Joyce was the best English speaking author of his time but he was also denied the Nobel Prize for writing against the British monarchy.

Recently, an autobiographer, Annie Ernaux won the Nobel Prize . She has no single poetry, novel, play or drama book to her name .

She simply won because the French Government lobbied for her. The Nobel Prize has long been corrupted by racism and interference of different interest group.

Hence many iconic writers never won the award. Is Annie Ernaux a better writer than our own Chimmamada Adiche?
Re: I Can Mention Achebes Book. How Many Soyinka Book U Sabi by Sangoamadioha1: 9:11am On Apr 10, 2023
Christian36:
It has nothing to do with intellectual capacity. Take a book of Achebe and that of Soyinka and ready it, you will know that the difference is clear.

Yeah, we are saying the same thing 🙄
Re: I Can Mention Achebes Book. How Many Soyinka Book U Sabi by MikeofAfrica: 9:14am On Apr 10, 2023
Minjim:

Wole Soyinka, unlike Achebe is not just a novelist, he's a poet, novelist, playwright and a political activists.

If you're not a literary student you won't come across much of his works. I only read
I've read and appraised many of his work while in school so I can mention more than 5 of it

Abiku. (Poem)

Won't. Soyinka's versatility is what sets him miles ahead of his contemporaries. He could delve into any genre and distinguish himself conveniently. Achebe's works are that difficult to appraise for literature students unlike Wole Soyinka's

Achebe is also a poet. He published more than five poetry works.

This include

1. Soul Brothers
2. Christmas in Biafra
3. Another Africa
4. Collected Poems.

His first poetry book won him the Commonwealth Poetry award in 1972.

Achebe also wrote Essay and research books. One of his recent books is " There was a Country ".

Winning the Nobel Prize is not about been versatile. It is about having the connections and backing of your government. The process is very corrupt.

That is why an autobiographer , Annie Ernaux , recently won the award without writing any poetry, drama, novel or play book.
Re: I Can Mention Achebes Book. How Many Soyinka Book U Sabi by MikeofAfrica: 9:14am On Apr 10, 2023
Minjim:

Abiku. (Poem)

Achebe is also a poet. He published more than five poetry works.

This include

1. Soul Brothers
2. Christmas in Biafra
3. Another Africa
4. Collected Poems.

His first poetry book won him the Commonwealth Poetry award in 1972.

Achebe also wrote Essay and research books. One of his recent books is " There was a Country ".

Winning the Nobel Prize is not about been versatile. It is about having the connections and backing of your government. The process is very corrupt. It is similar to the process that made Tinubu our president.

That is why an autobiographer , Annie Ernaux , recently won the award without writing any poetry, drama, novel or play book.
Re: I Can Mention Achebes Book. How Many Soyinka Book U Sabi by kay29000(m): 9:19am On Apr 10, 2023
Christian36:
Go and do your research.

Are you trolling or what? cheesy cheesy

Please don't kill me with laugh. grin
Re: I Can Mention Achebes Book. How Many Soyinka Book U Sabi by MikeofAfrica: 9:21am On Apr 10, 2023
[quote author=iblawi post=122411536][/quote]

You have done well to display the many books of Soyinka. Can you point out from those list just one book that is a masterclass like Things fall Apart.

Winning the Nobel Prize is not even about writing evergreen books. It is about having the connections , money and government backing.

Hence Annie Ernaux just won it for writing her autobiography. Can you list for me the poetry books, drama books and novels written by Annie Ernaux?
Re: I Can Mention Achebes Book. How Many Soyinka Book U Sabi by jagorinho: 9:35am On Apr 10, 2023
Christian36:
Just keep your mouth shut. Soyinka only won it once, Chimamanda Who should be the age of Soyinka children has won similar prize thrice and you are here vomiting rubbish.
Another obidot fool, if it is not a Nobel prize, it is nothing!!! Get that into your thick skull.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Goats In Uniform: A Funny Story Of Students Bullying Their Teachers / My Name Is Obum: A Sad Story / Mohammed Sule- Author Of Infamous Act - Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.