Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,659 members, 7,955,393 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 02:47 AM

Legal Advice Needed - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Legal Advice Needed (299 Views)

Legal Advice Urgently Needed / Free Legal Advice / Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Legal Advice Needed by utepu: 6:31pm On Apr 09, 2023
I am a Realtor, I practice in Abuja. I brought a buyer who bought a property owned by a Retired Army . Though I never met him in person but we were communicating on phone from 2019 which is the year I started marketing the property. I call him from time to time to present prices and offer made by prospective buyers. Sometimes in June 2022, a buyer showed up that eventually became serious. I started as normal, I got a call from a guy who saw my advert online, we arranged for the viewing, he brought an Hajia along whom she introduced to me as the buyer. We went round the house together and Hajia said she was interested but that she would want to bring the husband before they make decision to buy. The Hajia asked me to allow her have the number of one of the landlords domestic staff who were living there. I granted the permission. That was how my ordeal started. By the time Hajia came back to inspect the house with the husband, nobody informed me again. Hajia and the husband collected the sellers number and started dealing with the sellers without my knowledge. I only got to know all these when their representative (the guy that called me having seen my advert online) called me to say that they couldn't reach the seller on phone after they and seller agrees to meet on a particular day which has passed. That I should confirm from the seller's driver to confirm if his Boss (the seller was in town). I made call to the driver and I confirmed to them that he is available. Later the buyers representative called me to say that the buyer has met the seller and price has be agreed.

In a nut shell, the buyer made the first part payment and information reached me. I then placed a call to the seller to tell him that I have been reliably informed that part payment has been made to him. That he should know he is responsible for the payment of my agency fee. He fled up and started insulting me, asking how am I involved in this deal. I told him I brought the buyer. He said if I brought the buyer like I claimed, why didn't I come with them to the meeting. I told him that I was not informed by the buyer that they were coming for a meeting. After much argument to establish my involvement, he reluctantly said " i will only pay you welfare and not fee. He didn't define how much. He further said that for me to be entitled to the welfare, that the buyer must bring me to him for introduction when final payment will be made. I accepted.

To cut long story short. Balance payment was made last week. And I made a request to the buyer to take me to the seller's place. He agreed. The buyer later called back to say the seller said he doesn't want to see me, that he doesn't want any agent. Surprised, I called the seller to remind him that he texted me to say he would pay me welfare and that I must be brought by the buyer to introduce me. He denied he never said so. I then forwarded his text message to him where he mentioned it.
He cut the phone on me, I then text him to say I am the one that made the sale of that house and I need to be paid. He texted back that if I feel he breached any agreement with me, I should go to court.
Please Lawyers in the house I need help.
Re: Legal Advice Needed by mymadam(m): 6:42pm On Apr 09, 2023
Were you originally, verbally or in writing, personally contracted by the seller? Or you got to know about the property being put up for sale via other means?
Re: Legal Advice Needed by MrBrownJay1(m): 6:47pm On Apr 09, 2023
utepu:
I am a Realtor, I practice in Abuja. I brought a buyer who bought a property owned by a Retired Army . Though I never met him in person but we were communicating on phone from 2019 which is the year I started marketing the property. I call him from time to time to present prices and offer made by prospective buyers. Sometimes in June 2022, a buyer showed up that eventually became serious. I started as normal, I got a call from a guy who saw my advert online, we arranged for the viewing, he brought an Hajia along whom she introduced to me as the buyer. We went round the house together and Hajia said she was interested but that she would want to bring the husband before they make decision to buy. The Hajia asked me to allow her have the number of one of the landlords domestic staff who were living there. I granted the permission. That was how my ordeal started. By the time Hajia came back to inspect the house with the husband, nobody informed me again. Hajia and the husband collected the sellers number and started dealing with the sellers without my knowledge. I only got to know all these when their representative (the guy that called me having seen my advert online) called me to say that they couldn't reach the seller on phone after they and seller agrees to meet on a particular day which has passed. That I should confirm from the seller's driver to confirm if his Boss (the seller was in town). I made call to the driver and I confirmed to them that he is available. Later the buyers representative called me to say that the buyer has met the seller and price has be agreed.

In a nut shell, the buyer made the first part payment and information reached me. I then placed a call to the seller to tell him that I have been reliably informed that part payment has been made to him. That he should know he is responsible for the payment of my agency fee. He fled up and started insulting me, asking how am I involved in this deal. I told him I brought the buyer. He said if I brought the buyer like I claimed, why didn't I come with them to the meeting. I told him that I was not informed by the buyer that they were coming for a meeting. After much argument to establish my involvement, he reluctantly said " i will only pay you welfare and not fee. He didn't define how much. He further said that for me to be entitled to the welfare, that the buyer must bring me to him for introduction when final payment will be made. I accepted.

To cut long story short. Balance payment was made last week. And I made a request to the buyer to take me to the seller's place. He agreed. The buyer later called back to say the seller said he doesn't want to see me, that he doesn't want any agent. Surprised, I called the seller to remind him that he texted me to say he would pay me welfare and that I must be brought by the buyer to introduce me. He denied he never said so. I then forwarded his text message to him where he mentioned it.
He cut the phone on me, I then text him to say I am the one that made the sale of that house and I need to be paid. He texted back that if I feel he breached any agreement with me, I should go to court.
Please Lawyers in the house I need help.

do you have a contract with seller? if not, why not? how can you work with no contract in place?
Re: Legal Advice Needed by utepu: 6:48pm On Apr 09, 2023
I got to know about the property by scouting round the neighborhood. I then knocked and the owners driver attended to me. Gave me the owners number and I started marketing. Presenting offers to the seller

quote author=mymadam post=122403685]Were you originally, verbally or in writing, personally contracted by the seller? Or you got to know about the property being put up for sale via other means? [/quote]
Re: Legal Advice Needed by utepu: 6:52pm On Apr 09, 2023
You know because you never can tell transaction that will sail through, you don't execute contract. You just market the property on the belief that when things get serious, seller and buyer knows the norm

quote author=MrBrownJay1 post=122403797]

do you have a contract with seller? if not, why not? how can you work with no contract in place?[/quote]
Re: Legal Advice Needed by brain54(m): 6:52pm On Apr 09, 2023
Very tricky if you have no written agreement…

1 Like

Re: Legal Advice Needed by capetownboyz(m): 6:54pm On Apr 09, 2023
Lol agent fee na play ..😂😂
Re: Legal Advice Needed by Kriss216: 6:54pm On Apr 09, 2023
Retired Army General go use you shine if you take time. Thread carefully abeg.

1 Like

Re: Legal Advice Needed by utepu: 6:54pm On Apr 09, 2023
I know it is tricky .What if I escalate it to human rights organization

brain54:
Very tricky if you have no written agreement…
Re: Legal Advice Needed by MrBrownJay1(m): 6:58pm On Apr 09, 2023
utepu:
You know because you never can tell transaction that will sail through, you don't execute contract. You just market the property on the belief that when things get serious, seller and buyer knows the norm

i understand the above, but as soon as someone is serious about the house, then you should ALWAYS have a contract in place before showing the house... you have to protect your hustle. words are not enough!

if you have no contract with owner, then use this as a learning experience.
Re: Legal Advice Needed by utepu: 7:00pm On Apr 09, 2023
Yes, it happened so fast. House was shown today, today today they got access to the seller. What do I do!

quote author=MrBrownJay1 post=122404052]

i understand the above, but as soon as someone is serious about the house, then you should ALWAYS have a contract in place before showing the house... you have to protect your hustle. words are not enough!

if you have no contract with owner, then use this as a learning experience.[/quote]
Re: Legal Advice Needed by MrBrownJay1(m): 7:04pm On Apr 09, 2023
utepu:
Yes, it happened so fast. House was shown today, today today they got access to the seller. What do I do!

you can try to talk to the buyer for them to confirm that they got the contact of the seller thanks to YOU... and see if it can play on the good heart of the seller. if not, then forget it and move on
Re: Legal Advice Needed by utepu: 7:09pm On Apr 09, 2023
Okay thanks

quote author=MrBrownJay1 post=122404201]

you can try to talk to the buyer for them to confirm that they got the contact of the seller thanks to YOU... and see if it can play on the good heart of the seller. if not, then forget it and move on[/quote]
Re: Legal Advice Needed by brain54(m): 7:14pm On Apr 09, 2023
utepu:
I know it is tricky .What if I escalate it to human rights organization

Depends on the amount involved here…
(Your professional fee)

If it’s something you can forfeit then use this as a learning curve going forward.

But what about the buyer? I believe they are supposed to also pay a fee for your services?
Re: Legal Advice Needed by utepu: 7:20pm On Apr 09, 2023
Bro, money involved is very huge. It can build you a duplex

quote author=brain54 post=122404399]
(Your professional fee)

If it’s something you can forfeit then use this as a learning curve going forward.

But what about the buyer? I believe they are supposed to also pay a fee for your services?[/quote]
Re: Legal Advice Needed by brain54(m): 7:24pm On Apr 09, 2023
utepu:
Bro, money involved is very huge. It can build you a duplex

(Your professional fee)

But what about the buyer? I believe they are supposed to also pay a fee for your services?
What about the eventual buyer…

Did they pay anything?
Re: Legal Advice Needed by utepu: 7:24pm On Apr 09, 2023
The buyers too has been avoiding a meeting where this issues can be addressed

quote author=utepu post=122404509]Bro, money involved is very huge. It can build you a duplex

(Your professional fee)

But what about the buyer? I believe they are supposed to also pay a fee for your services?[/quote]
Re: Legal Advice Needed by brain54(m): 7:38pm On Apr 09, 2023
utepu:
The buyers too has been avoiding a meeting where this issues can be addressed

quote author=utepu post=122404509]Bro, money involved is very huge. It can build you a duplex

(Your professional fee)

Well, I ain’t a lawyer or barrister…

But the way I see it the only chance you have in court is relying on the buyers to accept to testify that you linked them to the property/seller. Since you had no formal or written agreement.

The text message the seller sent you is also prove of him soliciting your services. Though he only accepted to pay you “compensation “ fee. Which is likely what you going to get since no formal agreement.

But you haven’t answered the question of if the buyers paid you for your services. That can also be prove that you connected them buyer/seller which would aid your case in court.

Like I said this is just my layman’s perspective.

Get a good lawyer… with the amount involved I think it’s a case worth fighting for.

But that’s only if you have the resources to pursue the case!
Re: Legal Advice Needed by utepu: 8:15pm On Apr 09, 2023
Oh, I haven't been paid by the buyer. The buyer too has been very dodging having a meeting. The buyer's ordeline is trying to arrange a meeting. I pray it works

brain54:

Well, I ain’t a lawyer or barrister…

But the way I see it the only chance you have in court is relying on the buyers to accept to testify that you linked them to the property/seller. Since you had no formal or written agreement.

The text message the seller sent you is also prove of him soliciting your services. Though he only accepted to pay you “compensation “ fee. Which is likely what you going to get since no formal agreement.

But you haven’t answered the question of if the buyers paid you for your services. That can also be prove that you connected them buyer/seller which would aid your case in court.

Like I said this is just my layman’s perspective.

Get a good lawyer… with the amount involved I think it’s a case worth fighting for.

But that’s only if you have the resources to pursue the case!

Re: Legal Advice Needed by Ollysproperties(f): 10:30pm On Apr 10, 2023
Kindly reach me on this line —08167350289
Re: Legal Advice Needed by babamoha(m): 8:56am On Apr 11, 2023
You made a mistake by giving the hajia the chance to collect one of the domestic staff phone number
That is a lesson for the future.

(1) (Reply)

Classic Duplex Design Plan / What Are The Types Of Plumbing? / A Room In A 3 Bedrooms Apartment For Rent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.