Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,126 members, 7,814,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:47 AM

5 Years Before Going Abroad Doctors Bill: A Clinical Stitch In Time - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 5 Years Before Going Abroad Doctors Bill: A Clinical Stitch In Time (1575 Views)

Okey Bakassi: I Will Vote Obi So Buhari, Tinubu, Atiku Won’t Need Going Abroad / Dear South East, A Stitch In Time Saves Nine. / Give Us 8 Years Before Comparing Us With PDP, Buhari Tells Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Years Before Going Abroad Doctors Bill: A Clinical Stitch In Time by FreeStuffsNG: 6:49pm On Apr 09, 2023
5 Years Before Going Abroad Doctors Bill: A Clinical Stitch In Time

Nigeria's House of Representatives in its tweet on 6 April, announced that a bill sponsored by Rep Ganiyu Abiodun Johnson to prevent Nigerian-trained medical or dental practitioners from being granted full licences until they have worked for a minimum of five years in the country has passed second reading at the Nigerian House of Representatives https://twitter.com/HouseNGR/status/1643996023885533184?s=20

My First Reaction

At last! It came late since I wrote to recommend that this law be passed for years now but it is still better it is coming this late than never. I support this bill be passed as law and the President must quickly assent to the law for immediate implementation and subsequent domestication by every state of the federation .

Cuba has such a law and it worked for all government-trained doctors as they require official persmission to relocate overseas after being trained by the Cuban government https://www.reuters.com/article/us-cuba-usa-migrants-healthcare-idUSKBN0TK58B20151201

The unregulated exit of Nigerian government-trained doctors here in our country has almost crashed the system yet there are several reports and complaints that they are being enslaved overseas. 

https://punchng.com/nigerian-doctors-in-uk-lament-exploitation-slave-labour/

Will The Law Be Effective?

The way the law will be effective is to delay the process from when medical induction oath taking takes place to when you recieve provisional and full permanent medical license to practice as a medical doctor.

All travels by those set of doctors covered by the law will be required to get official permission from the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) for travel within that period and the list to be shared with the Legislature and Immigration service on a periodic basis.

The law will make defaulters who flout the 5-year moratorium liable to conviction if they leave Nigeria to permanently reside and transfer their tax-expense acquired skillset to a foreign country before 5 years.

Anyone still doubting if this law will work should ask any professional this rhethorical question : You do not want a criminal record as a professional or would you want to be prosecuted?

The ship has set sail and the rest of the loose ends will be sorted out even though I suggest that this law be accelerated.

What Are Nigerians Saying?

There are two courts in the land, the more powerful one is the court of public opinion in the scheme of sociological perspectives.

Those who ignore the power of public opinion later realised too late.

There are some erstwhile powerful trade unions that underestimated the power of public opinion and today not enjoying the public sympathy.

That is why I am staying on the fundamental and basic question of "Must the taxpayers lose on all sides?" I am not about 'whataboutism'.

Like this problem of young doctors leaving immediately after training which remained unaddressed until now, I believe that one day, the issue of paying huge subsidies on petrol and electricity to only a set of Nigerians while millions of other Nigerians without roads and electricity have no equivalent subsidy yet forced by the system to pickup the social cost and burden of the debt and fiscal capture of state resources for a privileged compatriots will get to this level of national bill too.

Everyone of those with elitist education seem to want to take advantage of the system and when you ask them a basic question on why should a tax payer train you and when you finish your training you immediately take your skill to another country, what I recieve are cocky answers telling me "whatabout" so so so and so in response.

To make it mandatory for young medical doctors to stay back at least 5 years after being trained with tax payers money is not too much to ask from you if you attend government universities where your education was heavily subsidized.

Right Family Values On Decline.

Parents who scatter their homes and raise children who grow up to run far away from home are on trial as well. It is not just the young professionals using the japa syndrome as smokescreen.

It is abnormal and dysfunctional for a young man and/or woman to finish school and immediately want to move several thousand kilometres away from his parents and deny those who trained him of his skill. It is against natural justice and these young professionals will lose.

In my opinion, this law asking them to stay will turn out to be a blessing in disguise for them.

Deceit In Those Opposed To The Bill?

There is some lie we are telling ourselves when we want to institutionalise a system that pushes away our children from home and the parents because you find it convenient to blame and hate Nigeria, an amorphous govt and/or individuals in government when you are actually tearing your families apart. This is an abhorrent behaviour.

You will lose and pay a huge price if you have not already started paying the price in regrets.

The same children you used all your resources to nurture are several kilometres away and when in critical time that you need them you now need to depend on those who stay behind while you wish your child is there for you.

It is very sad that the family and parents are failing big time. If you do not build a solid functional family with your spouse, you can not have a safe sanctuary of loving atmosphere home for your children. Your children will flee from your home and justify it.

Those who are outside the healthcare sector and those who have no alternative to public health yet oppose this move by National Assembly are uninformed or being mischievious when they bring up whataboutism.
You are losing big time!

I am done with you if you still do not see the real cost of how you are hurting yourself, your parents; Nigerian taxpayers and your own community by defending a blank cheque for young doctors to immediately pick their bags after being fed and trained here, abandon their parents and society for any reason at all. It is cheating and they will all lose las las. You can not cheat people and go scot free.

Unless this law is passed, it will be a case of Nigeria loses, these young doctors lose, their parents lose, the taxpayers whose tax was used to train them lose.That will be a preposterous legacy for this current legislature to leave behind.

The making and implementation of this patriotic law should be accelerated!

https://saharareporters.com/2023/04/07/5-years-going-abroad-doctors-bill-clinical-stitch-time-sunkanmi-vaughan

nlfpmod seun mynd44

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Years Before Going Abroad Doctors Bill: A Clinical Stitch In Time by successmatters(m): 6:55pm On Apr 09, 2023
After reading the drivel above, I tend to understand why some people will make some useless statements and want to force it down people's throats. Even to the extent of making laws out of it to force people to do the wrong thing.

The right thing is finding out why people decide to leave, and address it, but people like the op, and others who hates the freedom of people to make their choices will rather wish to force people to stay in a bad situation, and endure it.

Nobody is talking about joblessness, poor working environment or insecurity, what they are most concerned about is clamping people in unworkable situations in a dysfunctional Nigeria and ensuring they suffer every minute of it.

We are not in prison or your slave camp.

13 Likes

Re: 5 Years Before Going Abroad Doctors Bill: A Clinical Stitch In Time by Skyfly07: 7:02pm On Apr 09, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

Nigeria's House of Representatives in its tweet on 6 April, announced that a bill sponsored by Rep Ganiyu Abiodun Johnson to prevent Nigerian-trained medical or dental practitioners from being granted full licences until they have worked for a minimum of five years in the country has passed second reading at the Nigerian House of Representatives https://twitter.com/HouseNGR/status/1643996023885533184?s=20

My First Reaction

At last! It came late since I wrote to recommend that this law be passed for years now but it is still better it is coming this late than never. I support this bill be passed as law and the President must quickly assent to the law for immediate implementation and subsequent domestication by every state of the federation .

Cuba has such a law and it worked for all government-trained doctors as they require official persmission to relocate overseas after being trained by the Cuban government https://www.reuters.com/article/us-cuba-usa-migrants-healthcare-idUSKBN0TK58B20151201

The unregulated exit of Nigerian government-trained doctors here in our country has almost crashed the system yet there are several reports and complaints that they are being enslaved overseas. 

The way the law will be effective is to delay the process from when medical induction oath taking takes place to when you recieve provisional and full permanent medical license to practice as a medical doctor.

All travels by those set of doctors covered by the law will be required to get official permission from the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) for travel within that period and the list to be shared with the Legislature and Immigration service on a periodic basis.

The law will make defaulters who flout the 5-year moratorium liable to conviction if they leave Nigeria to permanently reside and transfer their tax-expense acquired skillset to a foreign country before 5 years.

Anyone still doubting if this law will work should ask any professional this rhethorical question : You do not want a criminal record as a professional or would you want to be prosecuted?

The ship has set sail and the rest of the loose ends will be sorted out even though I suggest that this law be accelerated.

There are two courts in the land, the more powerful one is the court of public opinion in the scheme of sociological perspectives.

There are some erstwhile powerful trade unions that underestimated the power of public opinion and today not enjoying the public sympathy.

That is why I am staying on the fundamental and basic question of "Must the taxpayers lose on all sides?" I am not about 'whataboutism'.

Like this problem of young doctors leaving immediately after training which remained unaddressed until now, I believe that one day, the issue of paying huge subsidies on petrol and electricity to only a set of Nigerians while millions of other Nigerians without roads and electricity have no equivalent subsidy yet forced by the system to pickup the social cost and burden of the debt and fiscal capture of state resources for a privileged compatriots will get to this level of national bill too.

Everyone of those with elitist education seem to want to take advantage of the system and when you ask them a basic question on why should a tax payer train you and when you finish your training you immediately take your skill to another country, what I recieve are cocky answers telling me "whatabout" so so so and so in response.

To make it mandatory for young medical doctors to stay back at least 5 years after being trained with tax payers money is not too much to ask from you if you attend government universities where your education was heavily subsidized.

Parents who scatter their homes and raise children who grow up to run far away from home are on trial as well. It is not just the young professionals using the japa syndrome as smokescreen.

It is abnormal and dysfunctional for a young man and/or woman to finish school and immediately want to move several thousand kilometres away from his parents and deny those who trained him of his skill. It is against natural justice and these young professionals will lose.

In my opinion, this law asking them to stay will turn out to be a blessing in disguise for them.

https://saharareporters.com/2023/04/07/5-years-going-abroad-doctors-bill-clinical-stitch-time-sunkanmi-vaughan

nlfpmod seun mynd44
sequel to the fp post https://www.nairaland.com/7646188/senator-ibrahim-oloriegbe-slams-brain
This law will increase mortality rates in Nigeria hospitals...

Can I ask you a question?

Would you allow a medical doctor who was forced to stay behind in Nigeria against his/her wish for 5 years to attend to you when you visit the hospital?

Your guess is as good as mine..Wisdom is profitable to direct..

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Years Before Going Abroad Doctors Bill: A Clinical Stitch In Time by FreeStuffsNG: 7:09pm On Apr 09, 2023
Skyfly07:

Would you allow a medical doctor who was forced to stay behind in Nigeria against his/her wish for 5 years to attend to you when you visit the hospital?

You do not need to study medicine to know how to kill and if you kill people out of professional negligence, it is you who will be liable.

The question is not whether you can travel or not, it is when and what category of doctors should be legally permited. The Cuban doctors are among the least paid in the world, they stay back for their parents and nation. If you can not stay your first 5 years then you are either from a dysfunctional home, unpatriotic or both.

No young man or woman just finishing school will ever want to travel several thousands of kilometres away from loving and caring parents! This is the bitter truth both dysfunctional parents and children from dysfunctional homes are scared of swallowing and the taxpayers can not be at the receiving end for ever.

1 Like

Re: 5 Years Before Going Abroad Doctors Bill: A Clinical Stitch In Time by Femmyfamous4u(m): 7:22pm On Apr 09, 2023
Skyfly07:

Forget it. There are many doctors here who do not have intention of going abroad. Aside that I strongly support the bill. All doctors in Nigeria (especially those who studied in Federal university) had subsidised education. Most doctors in the US studied using student loans and and pay for many years, The only thing the nation gets in return here is for them to offer their services, 5 years is okay enough for them to gain enough experience and do residency is need be.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Years Before Going Abroad Doctors Bill: A Clinical Stitch In Time by Skyfly07: 7:30pm On Apr 09, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
You do not need to study medicine to know how to kill and if you kill people out of professional negligence, it is you who will be liable.

The question is not whether you can travel or not, it is when and what category of doctors should be legally permited. The Cuban doctors are among the least paid in the world, they stay back for their parents and nation. If you can not stay your first 5 years then you are either from a dysfunctional home, unpatriotic or both.

No young man or woman just finishing school will ever want to travel several thousands of kilometres away from loving and caring parents! This is the bitter truth both dysfunctional parents and children from dysfunctional homes are scared of swallowing and the taxpayers can not be at the receiving end for ever.
first of all do you know this law is against the international labour law? Why must we nigerians always wash our dirty linens outside.

Secondly there are ways to convince an ADULT to stay back by doing the necessary things...You don't FORCE them..This is 21st century!

Why not make the so called Nigeria hospitals as equiped as their Europe counterpart where these doctors run to?

Why can't there be a more conducive and better packages like those centres these doctors run to?

Now you want to force it on them to stay back while you take your family abroad for treatment..I just pity common nigerians cos the so called politicians passing this bills know they can't bring their family members to a doctor being forced to work in an area against his will...

An adage says you can take the horse to the river but can't force it to drink water.

I'm a doctor and I have not seen any of my colleagues who is in support of this bill...so it is not about those from dysfunctional homes like you stated..Unless you are calling all the medical associations dysfunctional..NMA,NIMSA etc..They are all in one page and against the bill.

And I ask you again..will you allow either your parents or you to be treated by a work induced depressed doctor? Or for a doctor who is forced to work in an environment to attend to you in emergency situations?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Years Before Going Abroad Doctors Bill: A Clinical Stitch In Time by FreeStuffsNG: 7:41pm On Apr 09, 2023
Skyfly07:
first of all do you know this law is against the international labour law? Why must we nigerians always wash our dirty linens outside.

Secondly there are ways to convince an ADULT to stay back by doing the necessary things...You don't FORCE them..This is 21st century!

Why not make the so called Nigeria hospitals as equiped as their Europe counterpart where these doctors run to?

Why can't there be a more conducive and better packages like those centres these doctors run to?

Now you want to force it on them to stay back while you take your family abroad for treatment..I just pity common nigerians cos the so called politicians passing this bills know they can't bring their family members to a doctor being forced to work in an area against his will...

An adage says you can take the horse to the river but can't force it to drink water.

I'm a doctor and I have not seen any of my colleagues who is in support of this bill...so it is not about those from dysfunctional homes like you stated..Unless you are calling all the medical associations dysfunctional..NMA,NIMSA etc..They are all in one page and against the bill.

And I ask you again..will you allow either your parents or you to be treated by a work induced depressed doctor? Or for a doctor who is forced to work in an environment to attend to you in emergency situations?

Stop for a while and read my original post very well.

It is a pity that you are digging in on non-factual claims . The law is never restricting movement and no international law is broken by the intended law. During covid 19, countries were boldly banning the exportation of covid 19 vaccines produced in their own countries. No law was broken. https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/22/uk-and-eu-covid-vaccine-export-ban-spat-grows.html

If you recieve education subsidized heavily by Nigerian taxpayers, you have signed an unwritten contract to deploy that training first to them. It is by breaking this natural justice that made those Nigerian doctors end up enslaved in the UK. You can not cheat people and go scot free.
All the young doctors I know who leave immediately are from dysfunctional homes.

The other set are unpatriotic. The very first person to endorse this opinion is a medical doctor friend who is patriotic and from a functional home where both role model parents are lovingly committed to their family so you are not correct if you sample opinion from your circle of unpatriotic Nigerians sir.

Re: 5 Years Before Going Abroad Doctors Bill: A Clinical Stitch In Time by nedu666: 7:49pm On Apr 09, 2023
What if the doctors are not been paid or are paid pittance. What of working environment. All these matters. The legislators passing this bill will neva use Nigeria hospital. Don't be surprised some whose children graduate as doctors will find a way to circumvent the law

2 Likes

Re: 5 Years Before Going Abroad Doctors Bill: A Clinical Stitch In Time by Skyfly07: 7:51pm On Apr 09, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

It is a pity that you are digging in on non-factual claims . The law is never restricting movement and no international law is broken by the intended law. During covid 19, countries were boldly banning the exportation of covid 19 vaccines produced in their own countries. No law was broken. https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/22/uk-and-eu-covid-vaccine-export-ban-spat-grows.html

If you recieve education subsidized heavily by Nigerian taxpayers, you have signed an unwritten contract to deploy that training first to them. It is by breaking this natural justice that made those Nigerian doctors end up enslaved in the UK. You can not cheat people and go scot free.
All the young doctors I know who leave immediately are from dysfunctional homes.

The other set are unpatriotic. The very first person to endorse this opinion is a medical doctor friend who is patriotic and from a functional home where both role model parents are lovingly committed to their family so you are not correct if you sample opinion from your circle of unpatriotic Nigerians sir.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.thecable.ng/nma-to-reps-make-laws-to-stop-medical-tourism-targeting-doctors-not-solution-to-brain-drain/amp&ved=2ahUKEwi3xrGFu53-AhU7i_0HHTnDDbQQFnoECBEQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0hZ86yVpBu66CdhiCESZnH

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Years Before Going Abroad Doctors Bill: A Clinical Stitch In Time by Skyfly07: 7:53pm On Apr 09, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.thecable.ng/nma-to-reps-make-laws-to-stop-medical-tourism-targeting-doctors-not-solution-to-brain-drain/amp&ved=2ahUKEwi3xrGFu53-AhU7i_0HHTnDDbQQFnoECBEQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0hZ86yVpBu66CdhiCESZnH

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Years Before Going Abroad Doctors Bill: A Clinical Stitch In Time by Uncleodi(m): 7:56pm On Apr 09, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

My First Reaction

nlfpmod seun mynd44
sequel to the fp post https://www.nairaland.com/7646188/senator-ibrahim-oloriegbe-slams-brain

Wonderfully packaged for the dustbin 🗑

2 Likes

Re: 5 Years Before Going Abroad Doctors Bill: A Clinical Stitch In Time by Hoelujohn: 7:57pm On Apr 09, 2023
Skyfly07:

It's simple,.if you want to practice abroad, kindly school abroad. With 50 -70million naira,that can be achieved

4 Likes

Re: 5 Years Before Going Abroad Doctors Bill: A Clinical Stitch In Time by Exmilitant(m): 8:02pm On Apr 09, 2023
Those jobless reps members should rather sponsor bills to improve the working conditions of our doctors.

Take security for example, in 2021 in Calabar, doctors became easy customers for kidnappers and, on daily basis they were being kidnapped and made to part with millions of Naira to get their freedom. How then do you expect them to work dutifully, why wouldn't they opt for a better enviroment to practise their profession?

Unless the enabling conditions are put in place, no law should restrain doctors from moving to any part of the world to work.
Re: 5 Years Before Going Abroad Doctors Bill: A Clinical Stitch In Time by Blue3k(m): 8:24pm On Apr 09, 2023
I'll just quote this great comment on what the results of the policy will be. The law won't be without it consequences because there
are no solutions just trade off. The doctors fundamental issues aren't addressed by the law change. The government will need to address their various grievances but that begs another question on how it should be paid for. We can expect less doctors and more strikes if this isn't addressed..

This thread should spark curiosity about. Why are the tax payers subsidizing everyone's education especially the wealthy. How much tuition should students be expected to pay? It's been argued the universities suck because the lack funding and fact they're not allowed to charge their "supposed" customers the students. Right now their real customers are the government and by extension tax payers.

omohayek:

While I'm sure that is the intended effect, I doubt it will work out like that in practice.

For one thing, it will accelerate the departure of all the doctors who already in the pipeline and will be qualified before the bill passes.

The next factor to consider is that many medical students will still have the means and opportunity to proceed abroad to wealthy countries where they can train and qualify, except now they can simply rule out ever returning to Nigeria. The bill therefore shrinks the pool of possible medical practitioners, particularly in fields where the necessary expertise can only be acquired abroad. How many world-class surgeons from places like America's Mayo Clinic are going to leave behind their cushy careers to work as mere trainees in Nigeria, no matter how much they might wish to return home?

The final thing to note is the impact this will have on the number of students who will opt for medicine in the future. Anyone intelligent enough to consider medicine is also smart enough to realize that to the extent this bill actually works, it makes becoming a doctor a much less attractive prospect, and they'd be better off switching to fields where no such restrictions are in place, and qualifications are equally portable (e.g. computer science or engineering).

This is just another example of ignorant Nigerian politicians passing populist legislation that restricts trade, not caring about the inevitable consequences which will result. This mentality is why a petroleum-exporting country has no working refineries and suffers perennial fuel shortages, and it is why power supply has languished at the same capacity for decades even as brand-new power-generating stations lie idle. Passing laws restricting the options of private citizens has never worked to increase the availability of any goods or services, whether we're talking food price controls or restraints on newly qualified doctors.

The right way to get Nigerian doctors to stick around is to make medical practice in Nigeria more attractive, by devoting more financial resources to health (and to primary care in particular), but Nigerians are so blinded by the "awuff" mentality that they would rather pass useless, economy-distorting restrictions rather than actually paying what the market demands for what they want, never mind decades of failure going down this route.
Re: 5 Years Before Going Abroad Doctors Bill: A Clinical Stitch In Time by Simeonjoe1: 8:28pm On Apr 09, 2023
Hoelujohn:

It's simple,.if you want to practice abroad, kindly school abroad. With 50 -70million naira,that can be achieved

No its not. The law is rubbish. Is it only medical education that's subsided? What of those in engineering, law, Agric and other courses is there education not subsided also? So why ban doctors only, because we have the surest pathway of going aboard?

This law is as useless as the law mandating politicians/elite to use Nigeria hospitals. If you want to force doctors not to travel abroad, then be ready to force all the Elites and politicians not to travel abroad for medical treatment. Those billions they spend in foreign hospitals should be spent on the Nigerian health system, until then this bill is dead on arrival.

If it's about subsidize education then remove it by offering student loans, yes those that travel out will pay as well as those in Nigeria.
Also restrict all Nigerians student from traveling abroad either for masters or any.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Years Before Going Abroad Doctors Bill: A Clinical Stitch In Time by Bashet: 8:30pm On Apr 09, 2023
It's bullshit!

First, Nigeria must first match the wages of the Doctors here with their counterparts in abroad before passing any useless law.

What if such person wants to study further in abroad? Beside, don't these politicians travel abroad to treat themselves? The politicians should pass the bills on themselves first to treat themselves in the country.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Years Before Going Abroad Doctors Bill: A Clinical Stitch In Time by Volksfuhrer(m): 8:34pm On Apr 09, 2023
FreeStuffsNG, some questions.
Did graduates from other faculties not enjoy subsidies in their training as well? Why are medical doctors the sole target of this bill?
Re: 5 Years Before Going Abroad Doctors Bill: A Clinical Stitch In Time by Simeonjoe1: 8:34pm On Apr 09, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

No its not. The law is rubbish. Is it only medical education that's subsided? What of those in engineering, law, Agric and other courses is there education not subsided also? So why ban doctors only, because we have the surest pathway of going aboard?

This law is as useless as the law mandating politicians/elite to use Nigeria hospitals. If you want to force doctors not to travel abroad, then be ready to force all the Elites and politicians not to travel abroad for medical treatment. Those billions they spend in foreign hospitals should be spent on the Nigerian health system, until then this bill is dead on arrival.

If it's about subsidize education then remove it by offering student loans, yes those that travel out will pay as well as those in Nigeria.
Also restrict all Nigerians student from traveling abroad either for masters or any.
Re: 5 Years Before Going Abroad Doctors Bill: A Clinical Stitch In Time by Simeonjoe1: 8:39pm On Apr 09, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

My First Reaction

nlfpmod seun mynd44

You know what will be better. The restrictions of politicians and our Rich Nigerians from seeking medical attention abroad.
Nigerians spent a total of 1.6B dollars annually on foreign soil almost same with last year health budget of 800bn or this year 1.17trn.
No imagine injecting this money on Nigeria health care. If you don't want doctors to travel out then no one should travel out for health, use your doctors here.
If you don't want them to travel because of subsidized education then I guess it should apply to all student in federal universities too.

1 Like

Re: 5 Years Before Going Abroad Doctors Bill: A Clinical Stitch In Time by LivingSage: 8:44pm On Apr 09, 2023
We all keep WAILING Nigeria is this, Nigeria is that.

Yet Nigeria trained you (yes trained you because what you paid as a student is infinitesimal to what they pay thesame abroad you're going) but you refused to reciprocate by contributing your own quota to her well-being.

What an unpatriotic element

2 Likes

Re: 5 Years Before Going Abroad Doctors Bill: A Clinical Stitch In Time by Blue3k(m): 8:48pm On Apr 09, 2023
Just a thought isn't the government already getting a year of cheap labor from most doctors via NYSC? If you add the 5 years on top you get 6 years labor from these doctors. Lol no good dead goes unpunished.
Re: 5 Years Before Going Abroad Doctors Bill: A Clinical Stitch In Time by FreeStuffsNG: 9:25pm On Apr 09, 2023
Volksfuhrer:
FreeStuffsNG, some questions.
Did graduates from other faculties not enjoy subsidies in their training as well? Why are medical doctors the sole target of this bill?
You can make a case for other graduates if you feel very strong about it. Like I stated, this is not about whataboutism, it is the fundamental justice to taxpayers question as regards this law I am on. Should taxpayers lose paying to subsidize the education and still be harrassed into waiting till other laws are passed before they get their dues and money spent educating these young professionals?

If the love for their parents and love for country do not stop them to stay and serve then this law will. This law will get for the taxpayers what is due to them.
Re: 5 Years Before Going Abroad Doctors Bill: A Clinical Stitch In Time by Tolumiide: 10:05pm On Apr 09, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

My First Reaction

Deceit In Those Opposed To The Bill?

There is some lie we are telling ourselves when we want to institutionalise a system that pushes away our children from home and the parents because you find it convenient to blame and hate Nigeria, an amorphous govt and/or individuals in government when you are actually tearing your families apart. This is an abhorrent behaviour.

You will lose and pay a huge price if you have not already started paying the price in regrets.

The same children you used all your resources to nurture are several kilometres away and when in critical time that you need them you now need to depend on those who stay behind while you wish your child is there for you.

It is very sad that the family and parents are failing big time. If you do not build a solid functional family with your spouse, you can not have a safe sanctuary of loving atmosphere home for your children. Your children will flee from your home and justify it.

Those who are outside the healthcare sector and those who have no alternative to public health yet oppose this move by National Assembly are uninformed or being mischievious when they bring up whataboutism.
You are losing big time!

I am done with you if you still do not see the real cost of how you are hurting yourself, your parents; Nigerian taxpayers and your own community by defending a blank cheque for young doctors to immediately pick their bags after being fed and trained here, abandon their parents and society for any reason at all. It is cheating and they will all lose las las. You can not cheat people and go scot free.

Unless this law is passed, it will be a case of Nigeria loses, these young doctors lose, their parents lose, the taxpayers whose tax was used to train them lose.That will be a preposterous legacy for this current legislature to leave behind.

The making and implementation of this patriotic law should be accelerated!

nlfpmod seun mynd44

What's the difference between Nigeria and Cuba.
Cuba is almost a falling nation. More than 80% of the youths have already relocated abroad. Nothing is working in Cuba, including the bill you quoted.
Compare Nigeria with a working country.
The bill will not solve any problem.
And I pray God will not allow you to visit Nigerian Hospital, if you do, you will pity the health care workers, and you will understand why they are relocating. Who would not even wants to relocate from this country?
Re: 5 Years Before Going Abroad Doctors Bill: A Clinical Stitch In Time by FreeStuffsNG: 12:59am On Apr 10, 2023
Tolumiide:

What's the difference between Nigeria and Cuba.
Cuba is almost a falling nation. More than 80% of the youths have already relocated abroad. Nothing is working in Cuba, including the bill you quoted.
Compare Nigeria with a working country.
The bill will not solve any problem.
And I pray God will not allow you to visit Nigerian Hospital, if you do, you will pity the health care workers, and you will understand why they are relocating. Who would not even wants to relocate from this country?
You need to read the OP again.
You are off the mark because most of the healthcare professionals who leave immediately after training do not go several thousands of kilometres away from their parents because of what you stated above. That is the point you have not addressed but this law will address.

Let us stop the lies, the parents are failing their children who in turn are failing their parents, tax payers and the nation.
Re: 5 Years Before Going Abroad Doctors Bill: A Clinical Stitch In Time by orisa37: 1:37am On Apr 10, 2023
ADOPT FAPRES FOTCS AND CTC FOCS TRFG NOW
AND LET THE STATES SORT OUT THEIR BRAIN DRAIN ISSUES THEMSELVES.
MANY PROJECTS IN DAURA EXCLUSIVELY. LET US WATCH WEATHER BUHARI WILL IMPORT NIGERIENCE TO RUN THEM.
Re: 5 Years Before Going Abroad Doctors Bill: A Clinical Stitch In Time by Gajagojo: 1:54am On Apr 10, 2023
When a doctor graduates with MBBS his training has just started e.g If he wants to become a neurosurgeon he would need to train for up to 10 years under senior colleagues at a place where the right equipment exists.
Increasingly such training is no longer available in Nigeria so you have to travel to train in several specialties even if you want to work I. Nigeria. So the proposal is that a doctor will sit in Nigeria stagnating for 5 years before continuing their training

To study medicine you must score maybe 280 in JAMB so doctors are very smart people.
Such a stupid idea will not catch them

If you want doctors to stay look at why they are leaving.
It is partly money but also there are no facilities to train to international standards
Fort make a rule that

WE ALL DID HERE

nobody employed by government should be allowed to travel for treatment not even the president no matter what
Re: 5 Years Before Going Abroad Doctors Bill: A Clinical Stitch In Time by nnepodatti(f): 2:18am On Apr 10, 2023
Is only anti people things these bat touts support
Re: 5 Years Before Going Abroad Doctors Bill: A Clinical Stitch In Time by Blue3k(m): 2:26am On Apr 10, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

You are off the mark because most of the healthcare professionals who leave immediately after training do not go several thousands of kilometres away from their parents because of what you stated above. That is the point you have not addressed but this law will address.

Let us stop the lies, the parents are failing their children who in turn are failing their parents, tax payers and the nation.

You don't think the Cuban Doctors are leaving because taxi drivers earn more money than them?

1 Like

Re: 5 Years Before Going Abroad Doctors Bill: A Clinical Stitch In Time by Tolumiide: 6:35am On Apr 10, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

The only valid point I see is that they get subsidised education, almost all of us do. So because I bought subsidised fuel, I should now be driving at 40km/h when I can safely drive at 100km/h.
The system is not working sir, if it's working, our dear president and very dear president-elect would not be in another country for health care services.
Most of the people governing us didn't have their children in this country for the so called "subsidised education"
Those are the issues we should address as a country. If you want to compare Nigeria to some countries, compare us to some developed countries that have faced this problem in the past and they solved it from the top not from the bottom like we're trying to do in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: 5 Years Before Going Abroad Doctors Bill: A Clinical Stitch In Time by DMerciful(m): 7:40am On Apr 10, 2023
You know nothing John Snow!

Parents are open to their children traveling abroad and break cycles of poverty rather than remain and be killed like Dr Chinelu
FreeStuffsNG:

Re: 5 Years Before Going Abroad Doctors Bill: A Clinical Stitch In Time by flokii: 7:46am On Apr 10, 2023
Our Nigerian doctors are feeling fly because they don't know the help the Nigerian system is giving to them.. how many White kids can pay tuition to study Medicine & Surgery in their home countries? Your guess is as good as mine.

Nigeria helps the son of a nobody to become somebody (MD) and then he feels he has made it and needs to go and make money abroad. Let Nigeria remove subsidy on educating doctors fess, let's see how many would be able to pay school fees.

1 Like

Re: 5 Years Before Going Abroad Doctors Bill: A Clinical Stitch In Time by 123papas(m): 8:03am On Apr 10, 2023
Parents will start sending their children abroad to study medicine. We may also have less persons willing to study medicine. We don’t do risk assessment in this country. Shioor

(1) (2) (Reply)

President Elect Bola Tinubu To Be Conferred With Nigeria Highest Honour-GCFR / Tinubu Funded Obi's Campaign To Beat Him In Lagos? / The Reality Of Nigeria Is That Lagos Is Indeed No Mans Land

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 172
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.