Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,867 members, 7,810,299 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:22 AM

Patricia Etteh - Using Big Grammar To Cover Corruption - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Patricia Etteh - Using Big Grammar To Cover Corruption (2106 Views)

Patricia Etteh Graduates From Buckingham University / Patricia Etteh Decamps From PDP To APC / $3m Bribery Scandal: Ex-speaker Patricia Etteh Blows Hot! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Patricia Etteh - Using Big Grammar To Cover Corruption by funloving(m): 11:00am On Sep 03, 2007
http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/news/article01/030907

Assembly, Mark clear Etteh, deputy over alleged scam

From Azimazi Momoh Jimoh and John-Abba Ogbodo (Abuja) and Ralph Omololu Agbana (Lokoja)

WHEN the House of Representatives resumes tomorrow, it may no longer have to contend with conflicting figures on the sum spent on the official residence of its Speaker, Mrs. Patricia Olubunmi Etteh, and her deputy, Mr. Babangida Nguroje.

Contrary to allegations that the sum was N628 million, the National Assembly at the weekend said it was N579 million and that the contract was not for just renovation but "total upgrading" of the houses, which are a "cluster of structures."
Senate President David Mark, also at the weekend, described allegations of financial misconduct against the Speaker and her deputy as being without merit.

The spokesman of the House, Mr. Eziuche Ubani, had earlier put the figure at N238 million.

But the Director of Information in the National Assembly, Mr. Monima Daminabo at the weekend, said that the total cost of upgrading the Speaker's residence was N187 million. Other forms of expenditure on the house, however, include N40 million on security, N11 million for Value Added Tax (VAT) as well as furnishing and fittings, which, he said, cost N71 million.

The sum spent on the Deputy Speaker's residence, he continued, is N90 million for upgrading, N55 million for furnishing and fittings as well as N123 million for motor vehicles.

The grand total, Daminabo said, is N579 million, adding that the works done on the residence were "total upgrade" and not mere renovation.

He added that only the sum of N52 million representing 25 per cent of the contract sum had been paid so far to the contractor.

Daminabo gave the break down of the work being carried out at both residences as:

· Upgrade of a cluster of structures at Speaker's residence -N187,478,279;
· Security - N40,000,000;
· VAT - N11,373,913.25;
Sub total - N238,852,192.25;

· Furnishing and fittings in the cluster of structures at Speaker's residence - N71,895,000;
· Upgrade of cluster of structures at Deputy of Speaker's residence - N90,269,255.25;
· Furnishing and fittings in the cluster of structures at the Deputy Speaker's residence - N55,200,000;
· Motor vehicles - N123,600,000;
· Grand total - N579,216,417.50.

Insisting that due process was followed in the award of the contracts by the management, the Information Director said that the Revenue Mobilisation, Allocation and Fiscal Commission (RMAFC) had recommended that officers in the category of the Speaker and her Deputy be provided with office accommodation, furnishing and transport since they were not to be provided with allowances in respect of such facilities.

Daminabo said: "It must be acknowledged that these residences are national assets in their own right and as such they must be accorded their due precedence and associated security consideration. It is in the light of the foregoing therefore, that the National Assembly is embarking on the upgrade exercise."

He continued: "Under the Constitution, holders of the offices of the President, Vice President and Chief Justice of Nigeria as well as the presiding officers of the National Assembly, namely Senate President, Deputy Senate President, Honourable Speaker and Honourable Deputy Speaker, are to be remunerated as recommended by the RMFAC. The RMFAC provides that such officers are to be availed official accommodation, furnishing and transport by the government. Accordingly, they are not to be provided allowances in respect of such facilities."

He stated further: "Due process was followed at every stage in the award of the contracts. The Tender Notices for the projects were duly advertised through conspicuous display on the official notice boards throughout the National Assembly premises, as is the practice. The only disbursements made so far in respect of the contracts is 25 per cent mobilisation and to only one contractor."

The Director of Information said the contracts were within the capital votes for the National Assembly in the 2007 budget.
Daminabo said that it was not true that the National Assembly had gone to the Federal Capital Development Authority (FCDA) to source for the funds and was turned back, pointing out that it only went to seek clearance for the structural aspects of the work.

Senate President Mark, yesterday, said that allegations of misappropriation of funds levelled against the Speaker lacked merit and did not follow a due process. The Senate President who made his views known during an interactive session with journalists in Lokoja, the Kogi State capital, also frowned at the state of insecurity in Nigeria and warned that unless the country is reorganised, the fledgling democracy is in danger of instability.

Reacting to the crisis in the lower chamber, Mark said: "It is completely blown out of proportion. It is not (about) Patricia Etteh, it is (about) the Speaker of the House of Representatives, who is the number four person."

The Senate President continued: "Secondly, whatever renovation or upgrading that is done in that house is not done for Patricia Etteh, it is done for the Speaker of the House of Representatives, what is my position? "I strongly support her!"
He added: "There is a process for awarding contracts and once that process is followed, there is nothing to fault there. What is wrong about National Assembly awarding contracts? In the case of the Speaker, I would support her. I believe that the PDP (Peoples Democratic Party) would stand by her.

"You don't just begin to condemn people and even in the process of saying so, it has to go through proper and due process. You don't just accuse somebody, then criminalise the person and make him or her look like a criminal, and a colleague for that matter. I don't think it is correct."
While advocating that the present administration take urgent steps to reorganise the police, Mark noted that there is growing feeling of insecurity among the citizenry, constituting a threat to stable democracy, because the police, the main plank of security, "has not done well".

His words: "The police hasn't done well at all and people are worried about their own security and if we don't get a good police, I am afraid it is going to be very, very difficult to stabilize democracy. There is no running away from that. Safety of lives and property is an integral part of democracy. If we cannot guarantee that we are safe, then how can we be talking of dividends of democracy?"

The sources said that the anti-Etteh group intensified their lobby at the weekend as several meetings were held at the Apo legislators' quarters to perfect strategies. A prominent member of the group, John Halims Agoda, told The Guardian that the issue was not of individuals but the integrity of the House and National Assembly. "What is at stake is the integrity of the institution and we are not talking about individuals. We are asking for an independent probe so that we can tell Nigerians the truth and nothing more", he said.

The chairman of the House Committee on Media and Publicity, Ubani, assured that contrary to the expectation of the opposition, the House would have a peaceful session tomorrow. "We will have a peaceful session and demonstrate to Nigerians that the legislature, particularly the House of Representatives, has come of age and that we are here to make a difference," he said.
Re: Patricia Etteh - Using Big Grammar To Cover Corruption by funloving(m): 11:25am On Sep 03, 2007
They have started using high falutin language to cover this corruption scandal

What is the difference between renovation and upgrade ?

Renovation = Overhaul
Upgrade = Improve

To a lay man, what is the difference here ?

By the way, why

1. Did it take the National Assembly such a long time to respond ?
I guess they were looking for the right grammar to cover the corruption

2. When was the last time the Speaker's house was occupied that it now requires these amounts of money to renovate ? 
If I am not wrong, the last Speaker was still occupying that house as at May this year, less that than four months ago.
How did it now fall into such a terrible state of disrepair ? Could this be one reason why Bello Masari, the immediate past Speaker has been so concerned about protecting Patricia from a probe ? Could it be that the man stripped the house naked of all fittings and gadgets for his person use before leaving the place, and wants to hide that knowledge?

3. The cars that were bought, weren't immediate past Speaker and Deputy Speaker using official cars ? What happened to them ? Why the need to splash 123million naira just for the Deputy Speaker's cars ?

4. How come Deputy Speaker gets 2  Mercedes Benz 500, Toyota VxV8 land cruiser jeep, 2 Peugeot 406 and a Toyota hilux pick up while the Speaker gets only one Toyota VX V8 Land cruiser Jeep and two Peugeot 406 salon cars, which according to Daminabo, is less than the full complement  of eight vehicles approved statutorily  for the official convoy of the Speaker. (Makes the Speaker seem like a nice, caring, humble, simple woman  angry )
http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=88233

Both the National Assembly and the Speaker and Her Deputy are not telling the truth.
There should be a probe to unearth the whole truth and nothng but the truth
Re: Patricia Etteh - Using Big Grammar To Cover Corruption by guysmat(m): 12:31pm On Sep 03, 2007
God dey. Make una no worry
Re: Patricia Etteh - Using Big Grammar To Cover Corruption by Afam(m): 1:34pm On Sep 03, 2007
Since 1999 I guess this is the first time we will be having serious credibility problems with the National Assembly apart from the Buharigate issue.

Allowing this type of financial recklessness (even if they choose not to call it scam or fraud) to stand will send very wrong signals to the present administration position on corruption.
Re: Patricia Etteh - Using Big Grammar To Cover Corruption by benit(f): 4:45pm On Sep 03, 2007
Can any good thing come from OBJ? Una neva c somtin.
Re: Patricia Etteh - Using Big Grammar To Cover Corruption by osereka(m): 5:24pm On Sep 03, 2007
i hear say na obj they shag her
Re: Patricia Etteh - Using Big Grammar To Cover Corruption by folem: 6:14pm On Sep 03, 2007
You will recall that in 2000, Chuba Okadigbo spent $225,000 (N28 Million) on garden furniture! Yes, $225,000, not N225,000. And yes, the furniture was for the GARDEN, not the house. And not the sparsely furnished schools in his Anambra district. By the time that he was thrown out of his leadership position, Okadigbo had 32 government vehicles attached to his office.

It was reported that the former speaker Masari carted away some of the old furniture after he left office.
Re: Patricia Etteh - Using Big Grammar To Cover Corruption by chidichris(m): 7:21pm On Sep 03, 2007
is not the woman's fault rather ribadu who is on the hem of affairs on the war on corruption.
upgrading and renovation n628 million.
what happened to a house built in 1999 or 2000 furnished two times since then and now upgrade.
what of the last administration and the gov property they used.
everybody left with everything can lay their hands on because ribadu is busy running up and down looking for orji uzo kalu.
who is the woman? a mother who shld be economical for the growth of the family.
unfortunately she will fight to her death while a normal whiteman will resign over such a scandal.
that is the difference between okonjo iweala and these other pupets.
this is fraud and scam at high places but another form of grammer will soon come.
it is evidence of the good wills of obj and his gifts while extending aso rock to his utah farms.
yeye man, he must put yeye people for seat.
david mark is so mcuh forward in the case so am suspicious here, he might be part of the scam.
they are all fraudstars but if u tell ribadu he will tell u to bringforth evidence as long as it does not have to do with kalu.
Re: Patricia Etteh - Using Big Grammar To Cover Corruption by Bluestream(m): 11:54pm On Sep 03, 2007
It never ceases to amaze me…the crassness and sheer stupidity which oozes from the greater majority of people in positions of leadership in Nigeria!

Our honourable speaker and her deputy, in order to perform their duties to the impoverished people of Nigeria, needed to have their official accommodations ‘’renovated”….no problem with that, no problem at all, they deserve to have standard and comfortable housings, we can’t begrudge them that.It would be unfair.

What I can not fathom however, is how a whopping N579Million could have been budgeted for that singular purpose!…an amount in excess of half a billion Naira!

I would love to see the various bidding documents submitted by contractors for these contracts…I would like to see the work schedule for the proposed renovations and furnishings….I would love to see the proforma invoices for the ‘’fittings” and ‘’furniture”….I would love to have professional Realtor take a look at the property in question and give me an opinion…,

And then I would love to have a chat with Madam Speaker herself….I have some questions for her….

Madam Speaker, I understand that the budget for your own accommodation was about N270million?…I guess that would make it a state of the art house then wouldn’t it?

Forgive me ma, but if I may ask…how many cottage hospitals (lets not go into their condition yet) are in your constituency?

How many ‘’standard and befitting” primary schools are there?

Have you taken an inventory of primary school age children from your constituency who are not in school because their poor parents can not afford the meagre fees because of poverty?

…and I’m also wondering ma, if you were to build or buy a state of the art mansion for yourself…with your own money…how much do you think you would reasonably expect to pay for it? Do you honestly believe that paying the sum of N270.0million for the RENOVATION of your living quarters is a fair to the people of your constituency and Nigerian in general? Considering that the average Nigerian lives on maybe $2 a day, and the amount you earmarked for your housing alone is the equivalent of $2.1million.

Do you realise how many SCHOLARSHIPS $2million would pay for?! Do you realize how much it would fetch in medicare for your constituency?…oh, I’m sorry …you have to be comfortable first, before you think of all those trivialities …I understand.

Anyway, while you lounge in your Italian leather settees watching plasma TV’s, when you are soaking in your Jacuzzis and Saunas, after rolling in your Persian Rugs, and whatever other vanities have been purchased in the renovation exercise….( I’m believing that you would not stoop so low as to over invoice a contract so you would get some cash out of it)…

While you do whatever it is that people do in a N270.0million mansion…, remember this.

Remember that posterity will judge you. Remember that there are some of us who are not quite as forgetful as the average Nigerian…we are watching, and we will not forget.

Remember that when all is said and done…you are no worse than the men who lay in wait on the highways for innocent passers by.

Remember that God is a faithful judge…no sin will go unpunished…every wound will leave a scar…what you sow is what you will reap. Every one who partakes of your filthy, stolen wealth will partake of the wages of sin.

I hope that you would take the honourable way out and simply resign from office.

, By the way madam, when was this house originally built?
Re: Patricia Etteh - Using Big Grammar To Cover Corruption by Nobody: 8:34am On Sep 04, 2007
This is sickening. It is even worse because of the PDP intervention, do they think we are stupid? They are trying to trivialise it to make it look as if some imaginary enemies are working against the speaker.
This is an acid test to this Government, if this is slept under the carpet then this administration would loose the high esteem i hold for it.
I really applaud the courage of the group of house members that brought this to light. I want to encourage them that they should hold on to their integrity which is clearly lacking in most Politicians, we will not be distracted by some groups attempt to trivalise this issue, we know you stand for the truth no matter how they try to vilify this group.
The speaker should do the honourable thing, that is if she has any honour in her because i cannot imagine somebody who has done something so stupid to be titled " honorable Speaker" She should resign. But i doubt that because she and her idiotic party chairman clearly lack any atom of integrity.
They should learn from Hon Lawan Faruk and Hon. Agoda and the other members of the intergrity group.
I am really angry about this.24 out 100 Women will dying from child birth which should be a happy event because they do not have access to good roads to get them to hospitals or money to get proper nutrition during pregnancy,some Children eat meat once a year and are grossly malnourished and that woman is trying to justify using over half a billion Naira to renovate a house is that reasonable?
Re: Patricia Etteh - Using Big Grammar To Cover Corruption by desgiezd(m): 9:37am On Sep 04, 2007
Since these people were voted in what have they done in that National Assembly. I am begining to imagine if corruption is the main yardstick for choosing leaders in this country. Can Patricia Etteh spend this kind of money to renovate/upgrade a house if the money and the house belong to her. A house that was renovated four years ago.

I started suspecting this woman when, in the first week of her selection as Speaker of the House, the issue of wheather the lawmakers houses sold by the OBJ administration to the past lawmakers should be withdrawn from them so that the fresh lawmakers would use them as accommodation, she refused bluntly saying the sale of those houses was a forgone conclusion. What immediately came to my mind was that she must have benefitted from the sale of the houses. Afterall this is her third term as a member of the House.

It is not surprising that PDP is rallying support for her, they will soon tell us that it is a family affair. I also did not expect David Mark not to support her afterall we all knew him as a soldier and now he is superbly rich, perhaps he didnt spend a kobo from his salaries as a military officer and has invested all and keep compounding principal and interest. What a shame! Whatever it is that was done to Salisu Buhari, Chuba Okadigbo and Adolphus Wabara should also be done to her and all her cohorts if found guilty.

One day we'll all wake up and discover that Nigeria as an entity has been stolen from us and now belongs to an individual.
Re: Patricia Etteh - Using Big Grammar To Cover Corruption by femadis(m): 4:36pm On Sep 04, 2007
Madam Etteh,u're a disgrase to Ngozi and other women who have the intrest of this country at hearth,let me ask you Ma - how many bill have sponsord since you became a law maker? how many constituency project have you successfuly completed? how many scholarship have u been able to award in your constituency? but we can all tell how many miilions u stole [used]to renovate your official resident.
Ma, I'm very sure non of your children are here in Nigeria,and I can tell how many youth in your consistuency are drop out without hope of 2morro, Ma, you look like a woman who cannot harm but!,  undecided wel, I call on the Faruq,in the house not to allow her go scot free,Ma I hand you over to God,b'because I'm a tax payer,and my money directly or otherwise is included in your up keep. POSTERITY will judge you. angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ette means curnning
Re: Patricia Etteh - Using Big Grammar To Cover Corruption by denex: 7:18pm On Sep 04, 2007
@femadis

why do you people keep handing these people to God? Do you expect to see them get Ananaised or Saphiraed?

If you don't want her there, you have to act. Mobilise in your constituency with unions and gather enough momentum to summon your representative to move a motion towards her removal.

As for me, I have sent her a mail advising her to concentrate better on her job, shun corruption and stop thinking like a hairdresser.

(1) (Reply)

Shalom Church Trikania Bomb In Kaduna / El Rufai; Even Afghanistan Won A Medal At London 2012 / Eko Atlantic Builds Iconic Boulevard Gateway To The Business District

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.