Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,639 members, 7,823,809 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:47 PM

Do You Also Teach Without A Textbook? (And My Experience With My Students) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Do You Also Teach Without A Textbook? (And My Experience With My Students) (545 Views)

See The Garri Cake My Students Presented To Me This Morning / The Human Skeleton My Students Drew / Felt Bad My Students Said I Am Into Yahoo, Teaching Can't Afford My Lifestyle (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Also Teach Without A Textbook? (And My Experience With My Students) by princely4ever: 6:59pm On Apr 10, 2023
I am going to be meeting with my students tomorrow. My areas of discipline include these two: maths and physics. I am involved in other things too, I still dedicate my time in the areas of education because I love education so my teaching is intermittent, the so-called part-time.

Recently, I was informed about my students' reports which were allegations based on what transpired when I started newly. These were allegations from students who felt cheated but grossly envious out of one colleague who did flawlessly well. They are my babies (as one of them always say) and good students even though this happened. It rose to an extent I felt insecure, but had to deal with the matter with wit and surpress feelings that tried weighed me down from the experience.

To cut a long story short, after all the wickedness they virtually did to my reputation by proving to others I was a weakling and not a competent tutor/teacher, they all pretended like nothing ever happened because even if I started newly with them, I was a friend not an enemy. I guess they saw it clearly was why they gave up on blackmailing me.

I didn't really know what was happening until I got my class back. You could have seen these people/student of mine in the course of this scenario. They were alll like twilight zombies who made it a resolution to try hurt me then became angels later.

Thankfully but somehow, I have these precious angels back now and have known their ways. I have been studying them. I think I know how to be flexible with each of them.

Particularly, after a while, I was told I would be having their seniors who are the finalists during the summers. I was told not to teach with a textbook out of all the blackmailing that happened. This is baffling, and crippling quite a bit as teaching with a textbook helps me flow well and get things out to explain, and questions or mathematical problems to tackle.

Now, I know it's possible to teach without a textbook given the type of person and ability. There's also the impromptu teaching I'd like to get some thoughts about.

Here's my thought: Impromptu teaching is helpful when someone has had sound or quality experience on the subject matter regardless of whether the person is brilliant with that subject matter. That said, I have seen teachers who give impromptu teaching and dictate their note without a textbook or lesson plan or note in hand. It might have taken some years of experience which I am also building even if I also practice that to demonstrate my ability. My thought for now.
Re: Do You Also Teach Without A Textbook? (And My Experience With My Students) by ThinkSmarter: 7:08pm On Apr 10, 2023
During my nysc time, I personally made a vow to teach without a text book or a lesson note and i mastered that.
I taught physics for SS1~3.
U will become a pro

1 Like

Re: Do You Also Teach Without A Textbook? (And My Experience With My Students) by princely4ever: 7:25pm On Apr 10, 2023
ThinkSmarter:
During my nysc time, I personally made a vow to teach without a text book or a lesson note and i mastered that.
I taught physics for SS1~3.
U will become a pro

Yeah bro πŸ‘

Thanks πŸ™
Re: Do You Also Teach Without A Textbook? (And My Experience With My Students) by Coly2012(m): 7:27pm On Apr 10, 2023
Not professional to teach with textbook,but when faced with impromptu class one has no option except when you are already familiar with the subject matter.
Re: Do You Also Teach Without A Textbook? (And My Experience With My Students) by centilad(m): 7:44pm On Apr 10, 2023
princely4ever:
Impromptu teaching is helpful when someone has had sound or quality experience on the subject matter regardless of whether the person is brilliant with that subject matter. That said, I have seen teachers who give impromptu teaching and dictate their note without a textbook or lesson plan or note in hand. It might have taken some years of experience which I am also building even if I also practice that to demonstrate my ability..
Students do notice the difference and it's truly sweet when you flow with giving them quality notes offhand.

1 Like

Re: Do You Also Teach Without A Textbook? (And My Experience With My Students) by edogu(m): 10:43pm On Apr 10, 2023
I don't know what you mean "to teach using the book". If it's to guide you in your teaching, there's nothing wrong with that. But it's unprofessional as a teacher to be peeping from your textbook or notebook all the time or to read from your note word to word before the students while you teach. It ridicules you before your students.

Since you are the one that prepared the note, the proper thing is to prepare ahead of your class. It's your class and you need to take charge of the class by showing that you are a master in that field.

Your note should simply serve as a reference point and not the point itself. It's not easy to be a teacher. The good Lord is your strength.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Ungrateful Betrayal : Former Chicken Republic Guard's Attack On Apostle Chibuzor / Have You Ever Wondered How And Why A Chameleon Changes It’s Skin Color? / Gynbet Bookmaker - Learn All About Gynbet's Betting Platform And Services

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.