Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,055 members, 7,814,629 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:32 PM

One Of My Crimes As NPA Boss Was Not Giving Amaechi A Birthday Present - Usman - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / One Of My Crimes As NPA Boss Was Not Giving Amaechi A Birthday Present - Usman (27067 Views)

Nwanosike Samuel: Amaechi A ‘Mugu’, Did Nothing - Ikwerre LG Chairman / Aisha Buhari Pays Amaechi A Visit (Photos) / The Amaechi Memo To Buhari That Led To Hadiza Usman's Suspension As NPA Boss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

One Of My Crimes As NPA Boss Was Not Giving Amaechi A Birthday Present - Usman by Nemere2020: 7:12am On Apr 11, 2023
The immediate-past managing director of the Nigerian Ports Authority, NPA, Hadiza Bala Usman, has said that one of the reasons why she was persecuted by a former minister of Transport, Rotimi Amaechi, was her failure to give him a birthday present.

She revealed this in her new book released on Tuesday, titled “Stepping on Toes: My Odyssey at the Nigerian Ports Authority”.

The former NPA boss wrote that many notable Nigerians met the minister in order to resolve the acrimony between them shortly after she was asked to “step aside” in May 2021.

According to her, the minister rejected entreaties from governors, Customs boss Hameed Ali and others to reinstate her, citing frivolous excuses of selfishness and failure to do “nothing for him”.

“Interest groups and leaders of the All Progressives Congress (APC) also tried to intervene. I know for instance that Governors elected on the platform of the APC, the Progressive Governors Forum, chaired by Governor Atiku Bagudu deliberated on the issue of my suspension and constituted a committee to intervene,” she wrote in the book.

“The Governors’ team met with the Minister to discuss a resolution of the matter. He insisted that my management of the NPA had to be investigated due to the amount unremitted to the CRF [Consolidated Revenue Fund]. He even tried to Sway the governors’ resolve by suggesting that the budget of the NPA was bigger than most of their state budgets so they shouldn’t bother about me.

Stepping on Toes, by Hadiza Bala Usman
“When the governors persisted, he told them that the matter was no longer just within his purview and that they may need to approach the Head of Service of the Federation.

“He told another person who tried to intervene that I was so selfish that did nothing for him from NPA and never even gave him a birthday present!

“The Comptroller General of the Nigerian Customs Service, Col. Hameed Ali (Rtd.) also made efforts to resolve the issue by intervening at various levels.”

In the book she also revealed how the minister attempted to rope her with bogus charges of non-remittance of operating surplus into the Consolidated Revenue Fund, noting that the probe panel at the end of its prolonged investigation never found her wanting.

“On 5 May 2021, I took an early morning flight to Abuja to honour an appointment. The meeting ended early enough for me to catch a 2pm flight back to Lagos. It was at this time that I learnt that the President had approved that I should step aside as MD on the recommendation of the Minister of Transportation.

“On arrival in Lagos, I went to the office at Marina to complete a letter explaining allegations of non-remittance of N165 billion operating surplus to the Consolidated Revenue Fund (CRF), which the Minister had made against the NPA to the President.

“Unknown to me, in his determination to get me out of office, Mr. Amaechi had been fishing for a couple of months. In his desperation, he had approached the Director General of the Budget Office of the Federation, Mr. Ben Akabueze and obtained details of the NPA’s operating surpluses upon which he apparently arrived at the conclusion that the huge sum of money was unremitted.

“Without raising any queries about the matter with the NA, the Minister wrote to the President informing him of shortfalls in yearly remittance of operating surplus by the NPA between 2016 and 2020.

“He then concluded: In view of the above, I wish to suggest that the financial accounts of the activities of NPA be investigated for the period 2016-2020 to ascertain the true financial position and the outstanding unremitted balance of one hundred and sixty-five billion, three hundred and twenty million, nine hundred and sixty-two thousand, six hundred and Ninety-seven naira only (N165,320,962,697.00).

“He also sought Presidential approval that I ‘step aside from my position as Managing Director during the investigation, and that Mr. Mohammed Bello-Koko, Executive Director, Finance and Administration should act as Managing Director in the interim.

“Many Nigerians found the choice of Mr. Bello-Koko contradictory. They argued that as Executive Director, Finance and Administration, he should be found wanting if there are any financial infractions. People also wondered why I was the only one who was asked to ‘step aside, when the probe was purportedly, of the management of the Authority.

“To show that this was a deliberate ploy, the minister did not mention Mr. Bello-Koko’s designation as Executive Director, Finance and Administration in his memo to the President.

“Secondly, he asked in the memo that President Buhari’s approval should be communicated to him through the secretariat of the presidency. This was to ensure that the correspondence did not come to the attention of the Office of the Chief of Staff. The way the Minister went about his mission was curious. To start with, the Budget Office of the Federation was the wrong place to seek information about the frequency and accuracy of remittances from any government agency. The Office of the Accountant-General of the Federation was the appropriate place to have sought accurate information.

“I made this point in my letter to the Chief of Staff to the President in addition to providing details of the figures in question and the remittances made so far,” she wrote.

https://dailynigerian.com/one-crimes-npa-boss-failure/

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: One Of My Crimes As NPA Boss Was Not Giving Amaechi A Birthday Present - Usman by Ladiesdoctor(m): 7:13am On Apr 11, 2023
They will start spiling the beans all over now.
She started talking now that Power is distancing itself from Amaechi.
Madam, don't wander your mind towards any appointment in Tinubu's govt.
Tinubu is not Buhari that keep Ministers and his appointees for eight years.

We don't pray to have any Buhari appointee or loyalist in the new incoming govt.

91 Likes 6 Shares

Re: One Of My Crimes As NPA Boss Was Not Giving Amaechi A Birthday Present - Usman by Lifestone(m): 7:17am On Apr 11, 2023
What goes round comes round. Where is the Minister, Mr Amaechi now? Both of you have become part of history.
Our leaders must know that nothing is permanent in life and should use their position to improve the lots of citizens. I also observe that this fight was never about how to resolve the multiple problems of NPA such as ports congestion, poor infrastructures and superstructures. It's not about making other ports aside from Lagos port work well or is it about effectively competing with other ports along West Africa like those of Cotonu in Benin Republic and Tema port in Ghana. Our leaders are very petty and frivolous in mind.

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: One Of My Crimes As NPA Boss Was Not Giving Amaechi A Birthday Present - Usman by rayvelez(m): 7:18am On Apr 11, 2023
Indeed there was a country....

7 Likes

Re: One Of My Crimes As NPA Boss Was Not Giving Amaechi A Birthday Present - Usman by SalamRushdie: 7:20am On Apr 11, 2023
Ameachi dealt with U

10 Likes

Re: One Of My Crimes As NPA Boss Was Not Giving Amaechi A Birthday Present - Usman by Ku77: 7:20am On Apr 11, 2023
Ok
Re: One Of My Crimes As NPA Boss Was Not Giving Amaechi A Birthday Present - Usman by inoki247: 7:21am On Apr 11, 2023
Lol u sef for don give am like 12 cow now...

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: One Of My Crimes As NPA Boss Was Not Giving Amaechi A Birthday Present - Usman by JASONjnr(m): 7:23am On Apr 11, 2023
Is Ameachi this greedy?

Why should he be fighting People and be sending their names to Buhari to sack?

Now, out of foolishness, he resigned to pursue a dream so far from him....

I wonder who'd voted him in the first place...

Even Akpabio is a better politician to Ameachi..

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: One Of My Crimes As NPA Boss Was Not Giving Amaechi A Birthday Present - Usman by tommy589(m): 7:24am On Apr 11, 2023
You had yam and knife at your disposal. Talk true, did you cut small to eat cheesy

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: One Of My Crimes As NPA Boss Was Not Giving Amaechi A Birthday Present - Usman by dawnomike(m): 7:24am On Apr 11, 2023
They all are the same, she was just unfortunate to step in higher toes... For Ameachi and the likes of him, may posterity judge them

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: One Of My Crimes As NPA Boss Was Not Giving Amaechi A Birthday Present - Usman by SmartPolician: 7:33am On Apr 11, 2023
Nobody will believe this NONSENSE she wrote. This was the same woman tormenting Buhari with the #BringBackOurGirls campaign. But the moment she was compensated with an NPA job, she started leaking Buhari's ass.

These activists make the impression that they are using activism as a means of getting political appointments or becoming relevant in politics and that it has nothing to do with speaking truth to power.

27 Likes

Re: One Of My Crimes As NPA Boss Was Not Giving Amaechi A Birthday Present - Usman by Nobody: 7:34am On Apr 11, 2023
grin Amaechi can turn to an overnight messiah tomorrow who knows, that's the Nigeria we live in.

45 Likes

Re: One Of My Crimes As NPA Boss Was Not Giving Amaechi A Birthday Present - Usman by Shedrack777: 7:40am On Apr 11, 2023
not as if you'll use your own money to buy the gift for him in the first place

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: One Of My Crimes As NPA Boss Was Not Giving Amaechi A Birthday Present - Usman by Penguin2: 7:58am On Apr 11, 2023
SalamRushdie:
Ameachi dealt with U

Lol!

She felt she was untouchable until Amaechi clipped her wings.

Now she’s writing a book 📕 in preparation for Tinubu’s swearing in so that she can be reappointed to the position.

But don’t be surprised if she’s reappointed. After all, her benefactor or sugar daddy, Elrufai, is part of the incoming cabals.

I’m sure Amaechi’s presidential ambition got tainted from here. He made enemies with the people that should have aligned with him. But I think it was God preparing him for punishment for betraying GEJ.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: One Of My Crimes As NPA Boss Was Not Giving Amaechi A Birthday Present - Usman by AntiWailer: 8:15am On Apr 11, 2023
lol.

1 Like

Re: One Of My Crimes As NPA Boss Was Not Giving Amaechi A Birthday Present - Usman by Zico5(m): 8:15am On Apr 11, 2023
Nigeria shall be great again. The glory of the latter shall surpass the former. Tinubu is coming to change the narration of the politics and every area shall be transformed.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: One Of My Crimes As NPA Boss Was Not Giving Amaechi A Birthday Present - Usman by sogodihno: 8:15am On Apr 11, 2023
Yorubas will never smell Aso rock in 2023, instead let the north continue

Statement from hate filled lunatics

In less than 2 months time, what they fear most will befall them, Tinubu will rule them and their papa 😀😀.

May God continue to shame and destroy our enemy.

God bless our president BAT (GCFR)

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: One Of My Crimes As NPA Boss Was Not Giving Amaechi A Birthday Present - Usman by nairaland2: 8:15am On Apr 11, 2023
Normally, Amaechi is a political big Man.

You join politics as a JJc, tryna learn the rules of the game as time goes on, it'd help you further.

Meana while, why pay for sport picks when you can get it for free at Tele gram?

Search and join "IAJ ONLINE"now

This is the next best thing after wedding cake

KEVIND:
If Supreme Court later says that our Nigerian Pablo Escobar can go ahead and become president after forfeiting $460,000 to the US because of drug dealing, then NDLEA should be disbanded.

All those serving jail time 4 drug offense(s) should also be released.

Flesh and blood did not reveal this to you!

2 Likes

Re: One Of My Crimes As NPA Boss Was Not Giving Amaechi A Birthday Present - Usman by KEVIND: 8:16am On Apr 11, 2023
If Supreme Court later says that our Nigerian Pablo Escobar can go ahead and become president after forfeiting $460,000 to the US because of drug dealing, then NDLEA should be disbanded.

All those serving jail time 4 drug offense(s) should also be released.

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: One Of My Crimes As NPA Boss Was Not Giving Amaechi A Birthday Present - Usman by Dexy4yah(m): 8:16am On Apr 11, 2023
I like her gap teeth thou

2 Likes

Re: One Of My Crimes As NPA Boss Was Not Giving Amaechi A Birthday Present - Usman by Kubin: 8:16am On Apr 11, 2023
This story get k-leg,may be u no gree give am one mouth.

1 Like

Re: One Of My Crimes As NPA Boss Was Not Giving Amaechi A Birthday Present - Usman by Mindlog: 8:17am On Apr 11, 2023
Amaechi will soon reply.🤣🤣

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: One Of My Crimes As NPA Boss Was Not Giving Amaechi A Birthday Present - Usman by LegitAutos01: 8:17am On Apr 11, 2023
I sell cars

1 Like

Re: One Of My Crimes As NPA Boss Was Not Giving Amaechi A Birthday Present - Usman by thisisit: 8:17am On Apr 11, 2023
GO AND TELL APC
A - AXE
P - PUNCHES
C - CUTLASS
Re: One Of My Crimes As NPA Boss Was Not Giving Amaechi A Birthday Present - Usman by Eastprince101(m): 8:17am On Apr 11, 2023
OH SHUT UP PLEASE

4 Likes

Re: One Of My Crimes As NPA Boss Was Not Giving Amaechi A Birthday Present - Usman by herkeem: 8:17am On Apr 11, 2023
G
Re: One Of My Crimes As NPA Boss Was Not Giving Amaechi A Birthday Present - Usman by Arisenews2: 8:18am On Apr 11, 2023
And your crime in Jonathan’s government was? Madam you’re just incompetent abeg!

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2015 Senate Campaign Poster For Alamieyeseigha / Youths/occupy/nigeria/2016 / New LASEMA Response Unit Dispatch Center In Lekki Phase 1 (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.