Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,590 members, 7,837,224 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:23 PM

7-Storey Building Collapses In Banana Island, Workers Trapped - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / 7-Storey Building Collapses In Banana Island, Workers Trapped (49898 Views)

7-Storey Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki, 6 Persons Trapped / Photos As 3-Storey Building Collapses In Ibadan / Many Pupils Dead, Over 100 Trapped As School Building Collapses In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7-Storey Building Collapses In Banana Island, Workers Trapped by timesuploaded: 8:57pm On Apr 12, 2023
datola:
All these so called billionaires that cannot afford to build with quality materials.

They brag living in Banana Island but turning Nigeria to Banana Republic.

most likely faulty design. They build with the best material..learn more about building and ask questions before commenting about something you know nothing about
Re: 7-Storey Building Collapses In Banana Island, Workers Trapped by Originalsly: 9:02pm On Apr 12, 2023
Hmm.... is it a coincidence that the camera man focused on that building before it collapsed? ... did he know something? Whatever the case ... it is the responsibility of the city to enforce building standards.
Re: 7-Storey Building Collapses In Banana Island, Workers Trapped by alabo1: 9:13pm On Apr 12, 2023
Wodu89:
Always perform all necessary tests before una build na. How can you buy lands billions per SQ meter and can't or rather refuse to conduct integrity tests at every level of your building.

Do people bother to ask about how integrity tests applies and matters to construction projects especially in high rising buildings at all?

If we say that as a society all buildings from certain heights must have integrity tests at every levels, are these tests not supposed to be scrutinized by the governing authorities from before and during building processes ?

And to think it's Banana island, written about on Wikipedia as the home to Nigeria's brightest minds and the cream of the society, yet in such quintessential issues fail woefully ?

How can Africa be ever redeemed how?

From the pictures, it's clear to see that it's yet again Chinese building technology.

I've always maintained that I don't trust modern Chinese architecture that focuses on material and cost reduction over safety concerns. No be me go stay for those buildings that looks like houses constructed over bamboo sticks

What has China got to do with this?. It is your country that allows cutting corners that causes these. China has some of the tallest buildings in the world. How many have collapsed? Have you seen the longest overeater bridge built over the Pacific from mainland China to Hong Kong? What is a high rise compared to that. Let's face facts and stop chasing Shadows please

1 Like

Re: 7-Storey Building Collapses In Banana Island, Workers Trapped by Wodu89: 9:15pm On Apr 12, 2023
alabo1:

What has China got to do with this?. It is your country that allows cutting corners that causes these. China has some of the tallest buildings in the world. How many have collapsed? Have you seen the longest overeater bridge built over the Pacific from mainland China to Hong Kong? What is a high rise compared to that. Let's face facts and stop chasing Shadows please

Don't meddle into arguements and debates about your IQ pls
Re: 7-Storey Building Collapses In Banana Island, Workers Trapped by lilrel(m): 9:20pm On Apr 12, 2023
Wodu89:

Chinese architecture technology is mediocre. Americans aren't daft to incorporate heavy pillage in their building constructions

Let the truth be told. I am privileged to have worked at banana island in recent times and I must say that I am not surprised that this happened. Too many work-related vices like child labour, employee disenfranchisement, poor wages, employee abuse, to mention a few, occur in that place. You can't pay a worker 3K for a job of 7K or more and expect him to give his best especially in a rich neighborhood like banana island.

2 Likes

Re: 7-Storey Building Collapses In Banana Island, Workers Trapped by Emmanuel909090: 9:24pm On Apr 12, 2023
This is not good.
Re: 7-Storey Building Collapses In Banana Island, Workers Trapped by MatrixCircle: 9:25pm On Apr 12, 2023
When Universities will go on strike for one year on and of then graduate structural engineers, architects etc . This is the result.
Re: 7-Storey Building Collapses In Banana Island, Workers Trapped by Wodu89: 9:26pm On Apr 12, 2023
lilrel:

Let the truth be told. I am privileged to have worked at banana island in recent times and I must say that I am not surprised that this happened. Too many work-related vices like child labour, employee disenfranchisement, poor wages, employee abuse, to mention a few, occur in that place. You can't pay a worker 3K for a job of 7K or more and expect him to give his best especially in a rich neighborhood like banana island.

God bless you for this exposee.

4 Likes

Re: 7-Storey Building Collapses In Banana Island, Workers Trapped by alabo1: 9:30pm On Apr 12, 2023
Wodu89:

Don't meddle into arguements and debates about your IQ pls

Don't be insultive please. Why not give clear differentiating arguments than result to this. I posit- China has the highest density of high rise buildings in her major cities with virtually zero collapses.

It is our own failings here that allow everyone including the Chinese you stated to do what they do? Is that too much to understand? Read slowly please. I remain civil because I was well trained

3 Likes

Re: 7-Storey Building Collapses In Banana Island, Workers Trapped by Kobicove(m): 9:32pm On Apr 12, 2023
tobenuel:
Saint Paul should write a letter to Lagosian asap

Who has time to read his long epistle? undecided
Re: 7-Storey Building Collapses In Banana Island, Workers Trapped by Chetas81(m): 9:39pm On Apr 12, 2023
IF you need criminals in all sectors please called Nigeria citizens
Re: 7-Storey Building Collapses In Banana Island, Workers Trapped by Chetas81(m): 9:41pm On Apr 12, 2023
alabo1:

Don't be insultive please. Why not give clear differentiating arguments than result to this. I posit- China has the highest density of high rise buildings in her major cities with virtually zero collapses.

It is our own failings here that allow everyone including the Chinese you stated to do what they do? Is that too much to understand? Read slowly please. I remain civil because I was well trained
hhhhhhhmmmmm
Re: 7-Storey Building Collapses In Banana Island, Workers Trapped by kolakolex: 9:46pm On Apr 12, 2023
clockwisereport:

The man that built osibona's collapsed building withdrew halfway when they started going against regulatory standards. That is integrity.

If you tell them and they refuse to listen, carry your kaya and run

The company has integrity and concience.They know the risk involved and do not want to take chances at all
Re: 7-Storey Building Collapses In Banana Island, Workers Trapped by uuzba(m): 10:01pm On Apr 12, 2023
MatrixCircle:
When Universities will go on strike for one year on and of then graduate structural engineers, architects etc . This is the result.
No. This is not the result.
Useless people at Alausa is the result.
Planning permission and materials testing is done there.
The Engineer can only tell the client how much material to buy.
The client will run and call one "bastard" builder.
The builder will mix materials anyhow, Alausa people will come and see the error, but collect bribe and give the builder pass mark.
Then the building will fall.
So how does that concern the original Engineer? He calculated everything and specified the required materials. But nobody took his recommendations.
Should he take cane and start flogging the client, builder and Alausa people?

3 Likes

Re: 7-Storey Building Collapses In Banana Island, Workers Trapped by Jamesbiodun(m): 10:02pm On Apr 12, 2023
Na only grace site workers dey see ooo, may God save their lives
Re: 7-Storey Building Collapses In Banana Island, Workers Trapped by Melagros(m): 10:02pm On Apr 12, 2023
CaptainFM1:
Na wa ooo! All these fake rainbowing and sand-fillings on the Island!
They are building high rise on soil that's not compact & stable.
Is true
Re: 7-Storey Building Collapses In Banana Island, Workers Trapped by ghettochild(m): 10:08pm On Apr 12, 2023
There's a tall building between marina and cbn bank area...that uncompleted building Is about 20 storeys n still standing strong till date..
What's wrong with millenial engineers??

2 Likes

Re: 7-Storey Building Collapses In Banana Island, Workers Trapped by Ezmans: 10:26pm On Apr 12, 2023
Finesse247:
Does the Lagos State govt do concrete cube test to verify the test of buildings they approved for development? If they rereally do strucural and integrity test. All these wont happen. And if they do, there is corruption somewhere, for such development to continue
shame to Lagos state government
Re: 7-Storey Building Collapses In Banana Island, Workers Trapped by EndBuhariNow(m): 10:33pm On Apr 12, 2023
They keep building nonsense in Nigeria called It house. New 37 storey project they are building in front of my tower for the past 3 months they are still laying basement pillars.. even me dey confused the kind of pillar they are laying because u will see all kind of machine and formation u haven't seen before
Re: 7-Storey Building Collapses In Banana Island, Workers Trapped by mistercute(m): 10:46pm On Apr 12, 2023
We just like wasting innocent lives in this country. Shoddy job, what do u expect?
Re: 7-Storey Building Collapses In Banana Island, Workers Trapped by ayoola2002(m): 11:03pm On Apr 12, 2023
Thank God I don't have land there
Re: 7-Storey Building Collapses In Banana Island, Workers Trapped by sanya4good(m): 11:19pm On Apr 12, 2023
To make matters worse officials of Lagos State Materials Testing Laboratory Agency will be collecting money from building owners in order to issue fake test results.
Re: 7-Storey Building Collapses In Banana Island, Workers Trapped by BOUNTYDOG(m): 12:06am On Apr 13, 2023
Wodu89:
Always perform all necessary tests before una build na. How can you buy lands billions per SQ meter and can't or rather refuse to conduct integrity tests at every level of your building.

Do people bother to ask about how integrity tests applies and matters to construction projects especially in high rising buildings at all?

If we say that as a society all buildings from certain heights must have integrity tests at every levels, are these tests not supposed to be scrutinized by the governing authorities from before and during building processes ?

And to think it's Banana island, written about on Wikipedia as the home to Nigeria's brightest minds and the cream of the society, yet in such quintessential issues fail woefully ?

How can Africa be ever redeemed how?

From the pictures, it's clear to see that it's yet again Chinese building technology.

I've always maintained that I don't trust modern Chinese architecture that focuses on material and cost reduction over safety concerns. No be me go stay for those buildings that looks like houses constructed over bamboo sticks

But their own skycrapperd in china do not really colllapse
Re: 7-Storey Building Collapses In Banana Island, Workers Trapped by barinedan(m): 12:12am On Apr 13, 2023
Building collapse has become a normal thing in Lagos, you can't stay up to three months without hearing that a building collapsed in Lagos

1 Like

Re: 7-Storey Building Collapses In Banana Island, Workers Trapped by flokii: 12:21am On Apr 13, 2023
Scrap Private Universities a.k.a Glorified Secondary Schools now to save lives.. or at beat restrict them to only Economics, Actuarial Science, Education and likes..

You see anything Engineering be it Civil or Building or Architecture, those glorified secondary schools can't cope.. they are just producing killers to the society. Reason we have a rise in building collapse and whatnot.

FG should revamp our Ivory Towers and reposition our prestigious citadels of learning to their former glory. A stitch in time saves nine.
Re: 7-Storey Building Collapses In Banana Island, Workers Trapped by TheGift: 12:46am On Apr 13, 2023
chokekachy:

https://thenationonlineng.net/just-in-eight-storey-building-collapses-in-banana-island/

Video:https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0UPbRLDnfcQMxL2L7HsD7gTpsC8kY44KCXJe1w7oB7mkcQGmQrbGHqBdrYVFV715gl&id=100071648022961&mibextid=Nif5oz

Watch the moment the building collapsed https://twitter.com/MobilePunch/status/1646218056849391616?t=2yHbQEZIqmLCNB4rn_35kA&s=19

Under Sanwo, whose touted experience included heading the Lagos States works and housing ministry, Lagos has seen the most spectacular building collapses and remains the building collapse capital of Nigeria.
Re: 7-Storey Building Collapses In Banana Island, Workers Trapped by TheGift: 12:49am On Apr 13, 2023
ghettochild:
There's a tall building between marina and cbn bank area...that uncompleted building Is about 20 storeys n still standing strong till date..
What's wrong with millenial engineers??

It's less of millennial engineers and more of a lack of/poor development control allowing for unprofessional-ism and corruption.

You hardly hear about building collapse in Abuja because El-Rufy,( whom I don't particularly like) established a strong culture of development control there.

1 Like

Re: 7-Storey Building Collapses In Banana Island, Workers Trapped by Nobody: 1:17am On Apr 13, 2023
Banana island na flooded community.
Re: 7-Storey Building Collapses In Banana Island, Workers Trapped by MasterTeeUSA: 1:54am On Apr 13, 2023
In Lagos, you need STEEL Frame for HIGH RISE. With the level of water surrounding lagos, the ground will continue to shift, and it is a disaster waiting to happen now or in the near future. You can do concrete pour to humongous depth, but even concrete fail over time...Steel frame plus concrete pour is the key...the whole building will never collapse vertically like this.

chokekachy:

https://thenationonlineng.net/just-in-eight-storey-building-collapses-in-banana-island/

Video:https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0UPbRLDnfcQMxL2L7HsD7gTpsC8kY44KCXJe1w7oB7mkcQGmQrbGHqBdrYVFV715gl&id=100071648022961&mibextid=Nif5oz

Watch the moment the building collapsed https://twitter.com/MobilePunch/status/1646218056849391616?t=2yHbQEZIqmLCNB4rn_35kA&s=19

2 Likes

Re: 7-Storey Building Collapses In Banana Island, Workers Trapped by MatrixCircle: 3:39am On Apr 13, 2023
uuzba:

No. This is not the result.
Useless people at Alausa is the result.
Planning permission and materials testing is done there.
The Engineer can only tell the client how much material to buy.
The client will run and call one "bastard" builder.
The builder will mix materials anyhow, Alausa people will come and see the error, but collect bribe and give the builder pass mark.
Then the building will fall.
So how does that concern the original Engineer? He calculated everything and specified the required materials. But nobody took his recommendations.
Should he take cane and start flogging the client, builder and Alausa people?
You are right.
Re: 7-Storey Building Collapses In Banana Island, Workers Trapped by IronGalaxy: 4:14am On Apr 13, 2023
diplomat058:
Hmm...Africans! Ordinary buildings that we are to live in, corruption still found a way in by way of substandard quality production. Terrible!
Erm..leave Africans out of this, this is a Nigerian problem

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice / Military Officers Seize Onikoyi's Land At Banana Island (Pictures) / Latest Pictures Of Eko Atlantic International Commerce City, Will Shock You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.