Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:41 PM

I Heard There Are Different Kinds Of Atheism/atheist, Which One Do U Fall Under? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Heard There Are Different Kinds Of Atheism/atheist, Which One Do U Fall Under? (7652 Views)

Why are majority of those who fall under annointing female? / The Cowardice Of Atheism / There Are Different Callings In God. Stop Judging One Another. We Be Brethren. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Heard There Are Different Kinds Of Atheism/atheist, Which One Do U Fall Under? by Nobody: 7:31am On Sep 29, 2011
jayriginal:

and below is the "great, really withering comment at the end" which Toba wants us to believe came from Dawkins when a glance at the page he gave shows us that Dawkins made no such statement. Infact, the clause "a great, really withering comment" shows exactly what it is. A comment from a Dawkins antagonist.

The lengths some people will go is astonishing.
is this the best of ur farce? too bad. what were u expecting? for me to go quote from wiki like u did to get the interpretation of a 2005 judgement in 2011? or u are expecting me to do as u earlier did on this thread quoting Dawkins' subjective view about his own delusion? no way. the internet is available for every one. Dawkins himself is antagonist except if u want to lie that hes not. its only fair for him to get a taste of what he offers others. isnt it? not only that, what was said in the link actually confirms what others believe and know about Dawkins. u may still read it up again. remember theres an interview therein with Dawkins' direct statements earlier did on this thread quoting Dawkins' subjective view about his own delusion? no way. the internet is available for every one. Dawkins himself is antagonist except if u want to lie that hes not. its only fair for him to get a taste of what he offers others. isnt it? not only that, what was said in the link actually confirms what others believe and know about Dawkins. u may still read it up again. remember theres an interview therein with Dawkins' direct statements
Re: I Heard There Are Different Kinds Of Atheism/atheist, Which One Do U Fall Under? by mrmayor(m): 9:01am On Sep 29, 2011
Some Evangelist of Nairaland.

Toba: Evangelical Hornny Pharisee: Hates all things Muslims, Non-Believers, especially Atheist.

Frosbel. Evangelical Bigot. Hates Muslims especially the Nigerian variety, a non-believer in WOF gospel.

Enigma: Evangelical debater, would argue about who is an atheist till blue/red in the face.

Mukina: Evangelical Arsenal/Wenger Fan.

Beaf: Evangelical GEJ supporter, GEJ does no wrong.

Kobojunkie: Evangelical all Nigerian and all things Nigerian are bad.Gets off from arguments

Joabgaje: Evangelical You must Pay Your Tithe,Touch Not My Anointed,Pastor Chris Always Right.

Ezeuche: Evangelical Biafran.

Kag. Evangelical Atheist. Toba, Enigma, are you happy now? He still doesn't believe in God,Jesus

Lagerwhenindoubt. Evangelical I don't trust Nigerian Churches.
Re: I Heard There Are Different Kinds Of Atheism/atheist, Which One Do U Fall Under? by Nobody: 9:25am On Sep 29, 2011
For how long will u continue to hide under this your kind of Reasoning? We are not here to joke or to watch u Dramatize as u ve done so far on this thread. If u arent ready to be serious, like i said earlier, u are free to check out or hold ur peace as your fellow atheists have done. I actually expected u to respond to my post on Sunday but since u failed, i concluded not to take u serious again.

Here u are again displaying what i can consider pathetic response. Never mind, since i authored this thread, i would be here to respond to your reasonable and unreasonable posts

jayriginal:

I'm sorry to hear about your ID Toba (if you are him). Could it be because of the flirting with the muslim chicks ? What did you type ?

Honestly does this make any sense to U? i said u are a comedian and u arent disappointing me so far. Let me educate u. Seun the forum owner developed a program called anti spam bot in order to check the activities of spammers on the forum. This spam bot 'over does' it work sometimes that even some words or names that arent necessarily a spam gets into the bot and it in turns bans whoever typed it/them. Seun and Mukina2 Havent been spared sometimes. Even  moderators too get banned by this same program. Quit being childish and act like a reasonable fellow for once.

In fact i just a message from Mukina pleading with me not to get angry.

I still find it hard to believe that you and the other guy (who doesnt exist) keep coming back for more.
OMG what an ironic statement. u have been equivocating so far with little or no substance and lack of objectivity, with little to show for your deductive reasoning ability. I wonder what on earth u mean by we coming back for more.  U are indeed the one, wanting us to educate u more than we have already done.

I'm sorry, I thought you said or implied that Dawkins made those statements. I read the link and I saw nothing of the sort.

Just go and read it again i wouldnt indulge u this time. I stand by my words. By IMPLICATION

U have told me on your thread that u sometimes fail to read and admitted u didnt read my post before responding hastily

Actually no. I do not "believe" in science. I simply trust it better than your book of fables.
Here he goes again. Do u know that u might probably be saying the same thing? Do u know that trust and believe can be used synonymously?

trust [truhst]  
Main Entry:
trust  [truhst] Show IPA
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: belief in something as true, trustworthy
Synonyms: assurance, certainty, certitude, confidence, conviction, credence, credit, dependence, entrustment, expectation, faith, gospel truth, hope, positiveness, reliance, stock, store, sureness
Antonyms: disbelief, distrust, mistrust

Main Entry: trust
Part of Speech: verb
Definition: believe, place confidence in
Synonyms: accredit, assume, bank on, be convinced, bet bottom dollar on, bet on, build on, calculate on, confide in, count on, depend on, expect, gamble on, have faith in, hope, imagine, lay money on, lean on, look to, place confidence in, place trust in, presume, reckon on, rely upon, suppose, surmise, swear by, take, take at face value, think likely
Antonyms: disbelieve, distrust, mistrust

as usual in your lack of objectivity, u can still say im not speaking the truth or im not correct. Im still here for u sha

Science did not make me an atheist.

I have told u, i really dont care about u cos this is a general thread and not about u

Science simply provides more plausible alternatives to a primitive man made compilation.
really? do u care to back up your statement above?

There you go again. Was there any discrepancy between me and KAG?

KAG believes that atheists has a belief just as the theists. Do u agree with her?

And can you please stop talking about logic ? Its akin to blasphemy coming from you.
Of course u can say that cos its just as u making an illogical statement to show your poor reasoning so far on this thread

Gladly I would have. [b]That non entity hiding behind y[/b]ou will pick it up and use it to harm common sense.
Do u also consider this statement logical? BTW can u back p your statement declaring someone as a non entity?

Why dont you do so.

I already defined two out of three but your denial have made u pretend not to see them

Im back to my original approach and I indicated the meaning of indoctrination to you.
Where did u do that?

Try and knock it down if you can.
As i did with belief and Evangelism yet u pretended not to see them

Hope you get your ID back. I hope you didnt intentionally change it because I exposed your secret as a Christian Jihadist.

Do u also consider this as a logical statement? I said your reasoning ability is very very poor and once again u have exhibited it above. Do u care to back up your claims that my handle was never banned? Smdh
Re: I Heard There Are Different Kinds Of Atheism/atheist, Which One Do U Fall Under? by Nobody: 9:27am On Sep 29, 2011
mrmayor:

Toba: Evangelical Hornny Pharisee: Hates all things Muslims, Non-Believers, especially Atheist.

Frosbel. Evangelical Bigot. Hates Muslims especially the Nigerian variety, a non-believer in WOF gospel.

Enigma: Evangelical debater, would argue about who is an atheist till blue/red in the face.

Kobojunkie: Evangelical all Nigerian and all things Nigerian are bad.Gets off from arguments

Joabgaje: Evangelical You must Pay Your Tithe,Touch Not My Anointed,Pastor Chris Always Right.

Kag. Evangelical Atheist. Toba, Enigma, are you happy now? He still doesn't believe in God,Jesus

Is this the best u can come up with? Try again. Its not good enough embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: I Heard There Are Different Kinds Of Atheism/atheist, Which One Do U Fall Under? by jayriginal: 8:49pm On Sep 29, 2011
Toba !!!
@ All Toba said
You started the comedy first.
Re: I Heard There Are Different Kinds Of Atheism/atheist, Which One Do U Fall Under? by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:35pm On Sep 29, 2011
mrmayor:

criminal list. tongue
Re: I Heard There Are Different Kinds Of Atheism/atheist, Which One Do U Fall Under? by jayriginal: 11:01pm On Sep 29, 2011

Thats actually not true. Toba is also a muslim and loves muslim chicks. See page 3 of the thread for proof. He worshiped in the mosque, fasted during ramadan and recited prayers plus he has at least 4 muslim chicks he is "eyeing" and there is one particular one he wouldnt mind giving everything up for.

Toba is a player. Just go to the Islamic forum and find out.
Re: I Heard There Are Different Kinds Of Atheism/atheist, Which One Do U Fall Under? by Nobody: 11:31pm On Sep 29, 2011
Re: I Heard There Are Different Kinds Of Atheism/atheist, Which One Do U Fall Under? by jayriginal: 11:42pm On Sep 29, 2011
@Frosbel

Re: I Heard There Are Different Kinds Of Atheism/atheist, Which One Do U Fall Under? by Nobody: 7:24am On Sep 30, 2011
its obvious jayriginal has no substance to offer on this thread other than to pick on charater. u have called me a player. let me quote for me to have evidence to report u
jayriginal:

Thats actually not true. Toba is also a muslim and loves muslim chicks. See page 3 of the thread for proof. He worshiped in the mosque, fasted during ramadan and recited prayers plus he has at least 4 muslim chicks he is "eyeing" and there is one particular one he wouldnt mind giving everything up for.

Toba is a player. Just go to the Islamic forum and find out.
u need to back up ur frivolous claim once again
Re: I Heard There Are Different Kinds Of Atheism/atheist, Which One Do U Fall Under? by Nobody: 7:29am On Sep 30, 2011
jayriginal:

Toba !!!You started the comedy first.
u see u are not even denying that u are a comedian shocked smdh.

u are an evangelical atheist. u have evangelized that the xtian God is a non entity so that i can change my mind and stop believing in a non entity right? u have also told me that science offers something better than my fable books and human compilation isnt it? u are an evangelical atheist.
Re: I Heard There Are Different Kinds Of Atheism/atheist, Which One Do U Fall Under? by Nobody: 7:45am On Sep 30, 2011
this is another culled angle to see that atheists indeed have belief. it may be different from that of the theists but belief is belief by virture of definition

Evangelical Atheism Published by Janus on July 1, 2008

As a self-proclaimed secular conservative, I often confuse people when I take aim at policies that attempt to institutionalize an Atheist approach to governance. But why? If Atheists don’ t believe in God, wouldn’t that be the perfect way to separate church and state? While a Godless republic on its face seems like a great secular idea, I take issue with the evangelical Atheists who would spread Atheism just as much as I take issue with the evangelical Christians who want to spread religion. I define “religion ” as a collection of beliefs on the nature of the divine. Most religions include what God is, who God is, and how God wants people to behave. While people would doubtlessly disagree with me, I see Atheism as a religion. The premise of Atheism is simple: there is no God. But that very premise is a belief ( or a conclusion, if you would prefer that word) about the nature of the divine – and that makes it a religion. Our government is forbidden from adopting a state religion by the constitution. The establishment clause was written to guarantee each American the right to worship God however we want to without fear of persecution, discrimination, or disenfranchisement. It was written so that a Prodistant government could not abuse Catholic citizens, a Catholic government couldn’ t abuse Jewish citizens, Jewish citizens couldn’ t abuse Islamic citizens, et cetera. Free practice of our religious beliefs is a basic right we all share. My problem with an Atheistic approach to government is that evangelical Atheists and extremist Atheists are no less ravenous than evangelical Christians and extremists Christians. An extreme Atheist approach – one where prayer is not permitted, the commandments may not be displayed, church groups may not distribute aid, politicians may not openly practice their beliefs, or where it becomes acceptable to openly mock persons of faith – is no different or less disturbing than any other extreme religious approach. Our government is an instrument to defend our basic rights. The right to worship however we want to is one of those rights. Government should be above the religious debate. It should not be Jewish, Christian, Islamic, Hindu, Buddhist, Taoist, Scientologist, Jedi, or Atheist. Extremist and evangelical policies have no place in the halls of congress. So, from a secularist to the Atheists: Religion has no place in government. Not even Atheism.

the only thing thats important are the characters in bold. if u care jayriginal, u can define belief for me and lets see if u fit in or not into the definition
Re: I Heard There Are Different Kinds Of Atheism/atheist, Which One Do U Fall Under? by jayriginal: 9:18am On Sep 30, 2011
toba:

its obvious jayriginal has no substance to offer on this thread other than to pick on charater. u have called me a player. let me quote for me to have evidence to report u u need to back up your frivolous claim once again
I wonder why you consider this an attack on your character. What do I need to back up again ? I posted your interview on this thread.

toba:

1) u see u are not even denying that u are a comedian shocked smdh.

2) u are an evangelical atheist.
3) u have evangelized that the xtian God is a non entity so that i can change my mind and stop believing in a non entity right? u have also told me that science offers something better than my fable books and human compilation isnt it? u are an evangelical atheist.
1) Actually, all I said was that you started the comedy first. Nothing more or less. I notice that you havent denied that either. So, ,
2) Keep telling yourself that.
3) I'm not trying to change your mind. I mentioned it on this thread that I cannot change you, and the only person that can change your mind is you. I see how confident you are now to make claims you were scared of making previously. Now you are bold enough to call me an "evangelical atheist". Is is because I exposed you as a christian jihadist ?
Such a thing does not exist (evangelical atheism), no matter how badly you want it to.

toba:

this is another culled angle to see that atheists indeed have belief. it may be different from that of the theists but belief is belief by virture of definition

Evangelical Atheism Published by Janus on July 1, 2008

Who is Janus ? Probably some anonymous blogger whose opinion tallies with yours and so you wish us to accept it as such.
Why are you in the habit of copying and pasting without providing references/links ? If you want to be taken seriously, you need to imbibe this culture (of providing references). I dont blame you. Seeing how I have been taking apart all your arguments, its no wonder you are wary.
Simply because it is on the internet and agrees with your position does not make it true. Anybody can pull anything from the internet.
You should stop this and argue your points with your own understanding.
Re: I Heard There Are Different Kinds Of Atheism/atheist, Which One Do U Fall Under? by Enigma(m): 11:00am On Sep 30, 2011
EDIT Cross-reference as the material in the next two posts were first posted on a related thread: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=546562.msg9247593#msg9247593

Simple breakdown of the judgment in Kaufman v McCaughtry

For our purposes, there are three main claims in the Kaufman case that are relevant. Two of them were decided under the Free Exercise clause and one under the Establishment Clause. They are as follows -- together with what the court decided on each claim.

A. Under the Free Exercise Clause

1. Kaufman the atheist claims that atheism is a religion
       Court's decision: YES, we agree that atheism IS a religion even though it does not involve belief in a Supreme Being
       Thus Kaufman wins this crucial major point.

2. I Kaufman (the atheist) am  being prevented from practising my religion of atheism because I am not allowed to form a group for atheists
        Court's decision: NO, you are NOT being prevented from practising your religion of atheism since you can practise your religion alone and   
        without forming a group.
        Thus Kaufman loses this point which, while it may be important to him, is insignificant compared to whether atheism is a religion in the first 
        place.

B Under the Establishment Clause

3. All religions are supposed to be treated equally but other religions whose followers are allowed to form groups are being treated better than my
    religion of atheism because there is no greater danger than in their case if I too am allowed to form a group.
    Court's Decision: YES, Kaufman's religion of atheism is being discriminated against because if others are allowed to form groups and his own
    group will not pose any greater risk or danger then he should be given the same right.
    Thus Kaufman wins on this other major point.

Important Note: if Kaufman had not won the major claim 1 i.e. that atheism is a religion, then none of his other claims especially claim 3 had any hope. This is why this case is known for deciding that atheism is a religion.

So the decision says: (a) atheism IS a religion and (b) atheism should not be treated worse than any other religion. However, it is possible to practise the atheism religion on your own without forming a group.

Simples.

I'm sure when put in graphic terms like this, people can understand why the evangelical atheist religionists are so desperate to put spin on the interpretation of the decision.

cool
Re: I Heard There Are Different Kinds Of Atheism/atheist, Which One Do U Fall Under? by Enigma(m): 11:02am On Sep 30, 2011
Slightly more technical breakdown of the judgment in Kaufman v McCaughtry

1. On whether Kaufman's atheism is a religion, the court held:

Atheism is, among other things, a school of thought that takes a position on religion, the existence and importance of a supreme being, and a code of ethics. As such, we are satisfied that it qualifies as Kaufman’s religion for purposes of the First Amendment claims he is attempting to raise.

2. On whether Kaufman had been prevented from practising his atheism religion, the court held:

In the context of the Free Exercise Clause, Kaufman must first establish that his right to practice atheism was burdened in a significant way. . . . .

He failed utterly to do so. Kaufman introduced no evidence showing that he would be unable to practice atheism effectively without the benefit of a weekly study group. The defendants apparently allow him to study atheist literature on his own, consult informally with other atheist inmates, and correspond with members of the atheist groups he identified, and Kaufman offered nothing to suggest that these alternatives are inadequate.

Moreover, an inmate is not entitled to follow every aspect of his religion; the prison may restrict the inmate’s practices if its legitimate penological interests outweigh the prisoner’s religious interests.

3. On whether Kaufman's atheism religion had been treated worse than other religions, the court held:

The Establishment Clause also prohibits the government from favoring one religion over another without a legitimate secular reason. . . .

The district court went astray when it evaluated Kaufman’s claim on the assumption that he wanted to form a nonreligious group. . . .

The problem with the district court’s analysis is that the court failed to recognize that Kaufman was trying to start a “religious” group, in the sense we discussed earlier. Atheism is Kaufman’s religion, and the group that he wanted to start was religious in nature even though it expressly rejects a belief in a supreme being. . . .

But the defendants have not answered Kaufman’s argument that by accommodating some religious views, but not his, they are promoting
the favored ones
. Because the defendants failed even to articulate—much less support with evidence—a secular reason why a meeting of atheist inmates would pose a greater security risk than meetings of inmates of other faiths, their rejection of Kaufman’s request cannot survive . . . .

cool
Re: I Heard There Are Different Kinds Of Atheism/atheist, Which One Do U Fall Under? by Nobody: 1:32pm On Sep 30, 2011
jayriginal:

I wonder why you consider this an attack on your character. What do I need to back up again ? I posted your interview on this thread.

I dont know why  u like lying. Whats the meaning of this?

'Toba is a player. Just go to the Islamic forum and find out.'

Are u ready to prove beyond reasonable doubts that im indeed a player and provide proof/evidences from people that i have played?

1) Actually, all I said was that you started the comedy first. Nothing more or less. I notice that you havent denied that either. So, ,

Of course u did. Should i start posting some of your comments? u first introduced religion into the conversation between u and i, then u brought in the God's existence subject . Didnt u?

2) Keep telling yourself that.
Yes  u are a joker. a very big joker with your flawed arguments about beliefs. Do u believe that the xtian God is a non entity?

3) I'm not trying to change your mind. I mentioned it on this thread that I cannot change you, and the only person that can change your mind is you.
Why then are u telling me that u are certain that the christian God is a non entity? What if i actually believe in the christian God? Didnt u also say that Science offers better explanations than my fable books? Why are u telling me this? did i request that from u? Define evangelism for me.

I see how confident you are now to make claims you were scared of making previously. Now you are bold enough to call me an "evangelical atheist". Is is because I exposed you as a christian jihadist ?
U are even messing up more and more. Prior to u alleging that im a jihadist, havent i told u to define belief and evangelism for us to see if u are one or not? I detest liars. Go up and see what i have told to define and its very obvious that i wanted u to define it in order to give it to u point blank that u are an evangelical atheist.  u might still define Evangelism to see if im lying about your description or not.

Such a thing does not exist (evangelical atheism), no matter how badly you want it to.
U are a joker. Convince me that u are not by simply proving to us that there's nothing like evangelical atheism.

Who is Janus ? Probably some anonymous blogger whose opinion tallies with yours and so you wish us to accept it as such.
Why are you in the habit of copying and pasting without providing references/links ? If you want to be taken seriously, you need to imbibe this culture (of providing references). I dont blame you.
Smh. I told u what mattered in the quote was the fact that atheists has/have belief. u quoted your fellow atheist who also confirmed that atheism is a belief system. isnt it?

Seeing how I have been taking apart all your arguments, its no wonder you are wary.

Keep on deceiving your self and other atheists but definitely not me.

The OP is very clear. There are different kinds of atheism/atheist. u have been denying this from the first page of this thread. U also claimed that there's nothing like evangelical atheism without proving to us that theres nothing like that. I even gave u links of self confessed evangelical atheist. didnt i? U did no such thing as u ve claimed above

Simply because it is on the internet and agrees with your position does not make it true.

u are actually post without first confirming if u are guilty of same. Didnt u copy/lifted materials from the internet to defend your position on this thread? your thread improbability of God doesnt have internet lifted contents on it right? your thread atheist faq doesnt have internet lifted contents thereon? Smdh at this your pathetic response. U must first edit your mind before coming to post in response to my post.

Anybody can pull anything from the internet.
You should stop this and argue your points with your own understanding.

Well on 4 pages of this thread, i gave u the platform to reason logically and argue like a literate person but u failed. Simply thing.  atheists are believers, even though they may not believe in a god yet they believe in the non existence of a god. Is that too difficult for u to comprehend? SMDH at this your response
Re: I Heard There Are Different Kinds Of Atheism/atheist, Which One Do U Fall Under? by Nobody: 1:42pm On Sep 30, 2011
http://evangelicalatheism.org/

"Evangelical atheism": Sounds like an oxymoron, doesn't it? But "evangelism" literally means "bringing of good news." I believe that strong atheism, the belief that there is no god, is not only true but is also good news. I also believe that the world would be a better place if there were more atheists. Unless you already are one, I believe you would be happier and the world would be a better place if you were an atheist.

There are already a number of resources on atheism: books, web sites, movies, you name it. Most of them patiently deal with the rational. This is as it should be; atheism is the only rational response to the question of whether there is a god. What I want to focus on, though, is the emotional. I believe that emotion, not reason, is the moat between the fantasy of religion and the reality of atheism.
Re: I Heard There Are Different Kinds Of Atheism/atheist, Which One Do U Fall Under? by jayriginal: 2:25pm On Sep 30, 2011
toba:

Didnt u copy/lifted materials from the internet to defend your position on this thread? your thread improbability of God doesnt have internet lifted contents on it right? your thread atheist faq doesnt have internet lifted contents thereon? Smdh at this your pathetic response

I never insisted they were my opinions. If you want to know what I think, go to those threads and raise your objections as you see fit. I will explain those I agree with if you oppose them.

'Toba is a player. Just go to the Islamic forum and find out.'
The Islamic forum is there and I posted the links. Shame on you if you have gone to edit your flirtatious posts there.

1) Smh. I told u what mattered in the quote was the fact that atheists has/have belief.
2) u quoted your fellow atheist who also confirmed that atheism is a belief system. isnt it?
2) Who is "your fellow atheist" ? Is it Fahling you refer to ? If it is, this thread refers. You and your enigma friend quoted him first However, there is nothing to say that Fahling is an atheist. In fact, he is more likely to be a christian than an atheist. Read what you quoted if indeed you are referring to Fahling. If its not Fahling, tell me who.
1) This is in response to the question "who is "Janus". Since you cannot answer, if I conclude your middle name (the christian one) is Janus, dont blame me Instead, kindly tell us your muslim name as well.

Keep entertaining yourself. Calling me liar, joker etc, is beneath you. You can do better. If it makes you feel better though, dont let me stop you. *Sticks and stones*.

i gave u the platform to reason logically and argue like a literate person but u failed
Bad grammar, bad tense and you wish to speak on literacy.

As for the rest of what you said, this thread refers.
Re: I Heard There Are Different Kinds Of Atheism/atheist, Which One Do U Fall Under? by Nobody: 3:02pm On Sep 30, 2011
jayriginal:

I never insisted they were my opinions. If you want to know what I think, go to those threads and raise your objections as you see fit. I will explain those I agree with if you oppose them.
Did i insist here that the opinions i lifted were mine? U  need to go review the op again and read what i wrote. Im sure your lazy and bad reading habit will prevent u once again from see the obvious.

The Islamic forum is there and I posted the links. Shame on you if you have gone to edit your flirtatious posts there.

Keep whining.

U said im a player. Cant u provide evidence that im indeed a player or that i played any one here or amongst your relatives? Is this too difficult for u to do? Smdh

2) Who is "your fellow atheist" ? Is it Fahling you refer to ? If it is, this thread refers.

Keep shut and stop pretending. U quite know that i was and im indeed referring to NL atheists.

You and your enigma friend quoted him first However, there is nothing to say that Fahling is an atheist. In fact, he is more likely to be a christian than an atheist. Read what you quoted if indeed you are referring to Fahling. If its not Fahling, tell me who.
I believe i have answered u above on who im referring to for u to stop whinning

1) This is in response to the question "who is "Janus".  Since you cannot answer, if I conclude your middle name (the christian one) is Janus, dont blame me Instead, kindly tell us your muslim name as well.

U are just exhibiting childishness. How does this relate to the thread? I've told u if u got nothing good to say other than the BS u have typed so far, get away from the thread. Its not by force. U are seeking attention from the wrong person. any further pathetic attempt to derail this thread, may lead me to reporting u to the mods.

Keep entertaining yourself. Calling me liar, joker etc, is beneath you. You can do better. If it makes you feel better though, dont let me stop you. *Sticks and stones*.
thats exactly what u are doing and what u ve just posted. A joke and It makes no sense. Im not discussing a particular atheist but atheists in general. u chose to personalize everything and i did warn  on the previous page not to get personal. I can understand cos when u ve got no substance to offer, u are free to change gear, but not on this thread. Pls dont derail my thread

Bad grammar, bad tense and you wish to speak on literacy.

Thank u very much, just as you've exhibited your very poor deductive reasoning. NL is not anyone's home or place of work. Dont confuse NL with Reality.

As for the rest of what you said, this thread refers.

Thank you. I know  you've got no substance to offer. rather than derail the thread and degenerate to insult level, im pleading with u to steer clear. Its not by force to respond. This is a moderated forum with rules. Thread derailing is an offense. Pls get off if there's nothing good coming from you.
Re: I Heard There Are Different Kinds Of Atheism/atheist, Which One Do U Fall Under? by Nobody: 3:48pm On Sep 30, 2011
See them in Action

catch them young

The two children chosen to front Richard Dawkins’s latest assault on God could not look more free of the misery he associates with religious baggage. With the slogan “Please don’t label me. Let me grow up and choose for myself”, the youngsters with broad grins seem to be the perfect advertisement for the new atheism being promoted by Professor Dawkins and the British Humanist Association.

Except that they are about as far from atheism as it is possible to be. The Times can reveal that Charlotte, 8, and Ollie, 7, are from one of the country’s most devout Christian families.

Their father, Brad Mason, is something of a celebrity within evangelical circles as the drummer for the popular Christian musician Noel Richards. Now a web designer and photographer, Mr Mason has been supplementing his income for years by providing photographs to agencies who sell them on to newspapers and advertising campaigns.

He said: “It is quite funny, because obviously they were searching for images of children that looked happy and free. They happened to choose children who are Christian. It is ironic. The humanists obviously did not know the background of these children.”

He said that the children’s Christianity had shone through. “Obviously there is something in their faces which is different. So they judged that they were happy and free without knowing that they are Christians. That is quite a compliment. I reckon it shows we have brought up our children in a good way and that they are happy.

Gerald Coates, the leader of the Pioneer network of churches, which Mr Mason and his family used to attend before they moved to Dorset, said: “I think it is hilarious that the happy and liberated children on the atheist poster are in fact Christian.”

The British Humanist Association said that it did not matter whether the children were Christians. “That’s one of the points of our campaign,” said Andrew Copson, the association’s education director. “People who criticise us for saying that children raised in religious families won’t be happy, or that no child should have any contact with religion, should take the time to read the adverts.

The message is that the labelling of children by their parents’ religion fails to respect the rights of the child and their autonomy. We are saying that religions and philosophies — and ‘humanist’ is one of the labels we use on our poster — should not be foisted on or assumed of young children.

The images of the children were sourced from istockphoto.com, on which photographers upload images for sale to designers, in return receiving a portion of each download fee.

Those who have welcomed the campaign include the magician and illusionist Derren Brown and the author Philip Pullman, who said: “It is absolutely right that we shouldn’t label children until they are old enough to decide for themselves.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article6925781.ece
Re: I Heard There Are Different Kinds Of Atheism/atheist, Which One Do U Fall Under? by Nobody: 3:56pm On Sep 30, 2011
[size=25pt]Dawkins sets up kids’ camp to groom atheists[/size]

Give Richard Dawkins a child for a week’s summer camp and he will try to give you an atheist for life.

The author of The God Delusion is helping to launch Britain’s first summer retreat for non-believers, where children will have lessons in evolution and sing along to John Lennon’s Imagine.

The five-day camp in Somerset (motto: “It’s beyond belief”) is for children aged eight to 17 and will rival traditional faith-based breaks run by the Scouts and church groups.

Budding atheists will be given lessons to arm themselves in the ways of rational scepticism. There will be sessions in moral philosophy and evolutionary biology along with more conventional pursuits such as trekking and tug-of-war. There will also be a £10 prize for the child who can disprove the existence of the mythical unicorn.

Instead of singing Kumbiya and other campfire favourites, they will sit around the embers belting out “Imagine there’s no heaven . . . and no religion too”.

Dawkins, who is subsidising the camp, said it was designed to “encourage children to think for themselves, sceptically and rationally”. All 24 places at the retreat, which runs from July 27-31, have been taken.

Afternoons will be filled with familiar camp activities such as canoeing and swimming but the mornings will be spent debunking phenomena such as crop circles and telepathy.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article6591236.ece
Re: I Heard There Are Different Kinds Of Atheism/atheist, Which One Do U Fall Under? by jayriginal: 10:24am On Oct 02, 2011
Toba, I believe I have addressed this issue before. Give it a rest. The answers are on this very thread.
Re: I Heard There Are Different Kinds Of Atheism/atheist, Which One Do U Fall Under? by Nobody: 10:31am On Oct 02, 2011
give what a rest? have u heard of for better for worse, till death do us part?
Re: I Heard There Are Different Kinds Of Atheism/atheist, Which One Do U Fall Under? by jayriginal: 10:49am On Oct 02, 2011
toba:

give what a rest? have u heard of for better for worse, till death do us part?
grin
Re: I Heard There Are Different Kinds Of Atheism/atheist, Which One Do U Fall Under? by Nobody: 10:37am On Oct 08, 2011
[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/archive/5/56/20090513185611!AtheismImplicitExplicit3.svg/120px-AtheismImplicitExplicit3.svg.png[/img]
Implicit and explicit atheism

A diagram showing the relationship between the definitions of weak/strong and implicit/explicit atheism. Explicit strong/positive/hard atheists (in purple on the right ) assert that "at least one deity exists" is a false statement. Explicit weak/negative/ soft atheists (in blue on the right ) reject or eschew belief that any deities exist without actually asserting that "at least one deity exists" is a false statement. Implicit weak/negative atheists (in blue on the left ) would include people (such as young children and some agnostics) who do not believe in a deity, but have not explicitly rejected such belief.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Implicit_and_explicit_atheism
Re: I Heard There Are Different Kinds Of Atheism/atheist, Which One Do U Fall Under? by Nobody: 11:00am On Oct 08, 2011
Implicit atheism and explicit atheism are subcategories of atheism coined by George H. Smith (1979, p.13- 18). Implicit atheism is defined by Smith as "the absence of theistic belief without a conscious rejection of it".

Explicit atheism is defined as "the absence of theistic belief due to a conscious rejection of it".

Explicit atheists have considered the idea of deities and have rejected belief that any exist. Implicit atheists thus either have not given the idea of deities much consideration, or, though they do not believe, have not rejected belief.

Implicit atheism

Smith defines implicit atheism as "the absence of theistic belief without a conscious rejection of it". "Absence of theistic belief" encompasses all forms of non-belief in deities. This would categorize as implicit atheists those adults who have never heard of the concept of deities, and those adults who have not given the idea any real consideration. Also included are agnostics who assert they do not believe in any deities (even if they claim not to be atheists). Children are also included, though, depending on the author, it may or may not also include newborn babies. As far back as 1772, Baron d'Holbach said that "All children are born Atheists; they have no idea of God." Smith is silent on newborn children, but clearly identifies as atheists some children who are unaware of any concept of any deity. The man who is unacquainted with theism is an atheist because he does not believe in a god. This category would also include the child with the conceptual capacity to grasp the issues involved, but who is still unaware of those issues. The fact that this child does not believe in god qualifies him as an atheist.

Ernest Nagel contradicts Smith's definition of atheism as merely "absence of theism", acknowledging only explicit atheism as true "atheism". I shall understand by "atheism" a critique and a denial of the major claims of all varieties of theism, . atheism is not to be identified with sheer unbelief, Thus, a child who has received no religious instruction and has never heard about God, is not an atheist – for he is not denying any theistic claims. Similarly in the case of an adult who, if he has withdrawn from the faith of his father without reflection or because of frank indifference to any theological issue, is also not an atheist – for such an adult is not challenging theism and not professing any views on the subject.

The terms weak atheism and strong atheism (or negative atheism and positive atheism) are often used as synonyms of Smith's less-well-known implicit and explicit categories. However, the original and technical meanings of implicit and explicit atheism are quite different and distinct from weak and strong atheism. "Strong explicit" atheists assert that it is false that any deities exist. "Weak explicit" atheists assert they do not believe in deities, but do not assert it is true that deities do not exist. Those who do not believe any deities exist, but do not assert their non-belief are included among implicit atheists. Among weak implicit atheists are thus sometimes included the following: children and adults who have never heard of deities; people who have heard of deities but have never given the idea any considerable thought; and those agnostics who suspend belief about deities, but do not reject such belief. People who do not use the broad definition of atheism as "absence of theism", but instead use the most common definition "disbelief in or denial of the existence of God or gods", [6] would not recognize mere absence of belief in deities (implicit atheism) as a type of atheism at all, and would tend to use other terms, such as "skeptic" or "agnostic ", or even the heavy-handed "non-atheistic non-theism", for this position.
Re: I Heard There Are Different Kinds Of Atheism/atheist, Which One Do U Fall Under? by Nobody: 9:06am On Dec 20, 2011
Its confirmed by the numerous activities of trolling atheist on NL, we have evangelical and militant atheists on the forum.

Theists beware lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: I Heard There Are Different Kinds Of Atheism/atheist, Which One Do U Fall Under? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 7:42pm On Mar 19, 2012
@toba - soo much bile around the post grin Truth is you can classify Christians in similar manner - beliefs as only as strong as the basis of your conviction and that conviction can only be built either through Lies or the Truth. (Take a pick)

I do not agree with the classification in any way simply because as humans (strictly speaking) our beliefs are forged from Experience and only sustained by Faith through repetition or "Hearing the Word". It is no way different from Buddhism or Islam or Paganism. When a more revealing or deepened experience comes along, you will dump your beliefs and convert. It is simple a matter of conviction based on the experience (facts at hand) you went through. It is a fluid process. Only a weak mind will resign his fate to a vegetable rotting with worms.

We often make excuses for "God" claiming "His ways are unfathomable" and mysteries will be revealed at the "appointed time" IMHO I dare do a better job than God (if I was in his shoes) going by the inane explanations theists put forward. How can an evidently super-intelligent, all-powerful being be appropriated to acts of despondency, violence, inhumanity, silliness and immaturity and his most sophisticated creation with limitless potential for thought and reason cannot rise above the obvious to understand what is going on
Re: I Heard There Are Different Kinds Of Atheism/atheist, Which One Do U Fall Under? by seyibrown(f): 3:06pm On Feb 23, 2013
ATHEISM is a 'BELIEF/BELIEF SYSTEM' that 'THERE IS NO GOD (BUT LOGIC/MIND/SELF)'! Sounds like a RELIGION to me o! grin grin

BTW, Logicboy03 (and the likes of him) are so religious/fanatical about their atheism so much that it is sufficient for me to conclude from their fanaticism that atheism is a religion, and that they are religious extremists try to shove it down the throat of everyone who believes in God that God is not God but Logic/Mind/Self is! .... or is it the B.I.G.B.A.N.G? grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Michael Faraday Believed In GOD, So Why Do Atheists Use Electricity / Pictures Of Jesus Suffering On The Cross / Is The Title General Overseer Scriptural?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 140
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.