Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,718 members, 7,816,956 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:11 PM

Edo/Idu People And The Colour Red - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Edo/Idu People And The Colour Red (6714 Views)

What Do You Call Colour Red, Black, White Etc In Your Language? / 'idu Ulo' Or Ikwa Ngwa Ulo Among Ndigbo / The Ijebu People And Their Ancestral Hometowns In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Edo/Idu People And The Colour Red by amor4ce(m): 5:43am On Sep 22, 2011
(1)Why do the people of Edo/Idu/Benin like the colour red so much that their attires can be regarded as incomplete without it?
(2)Does the colour preference have anything to do with their history?
(3)Do the names EDO AND IDU have anything to do with the red colour?
(4)Have they at any time been known as the Red people? If yes, any link between red people and the meaning of Edo/Idu?
(5)What is the meaning of Edo/Idu?
(6)Can the beginning of the red-coloured adornments be traced?

Please I am curious about the Idu history and want to learn more as I find the preference for the red colour to be peculiar to the Edo/Idu people out of all African nations that I am aware of.
Re: Edo/Idu People And The Colour Red by tpia5: 10:45am On Sep 22, 2011
Red is a colour preferred in traditional religion-especially in parts of southern nigeria.

I have no idea why its dominant in edo/idu. I hadnt noticed.

Are you referring to coral beads or just red cloth in general.
Re: Edo/Idu People And The Colour Red by amor4ce(m): 1:10pm On Sep 22, 2011
The opinion I've had over the years is that the preference of that colour in Southern Nigeria is due to Edo influence and perhaps a sort of mimicry of their culture. Besides, I have a strong feeling that therein lies the answer to their history. And yes I'm referring to both coral beads and red cloth but more of the former.

Which other nation an be described as the Red People?
Re: Edo/Idu People And The Colour Red by amor4ce(m): 12:58am On Sep 23, 2011
Their fondness of the red colour may be in reverence to Esau.
Re: Edo/Idu People And The Colour Red by tpia5: 2:58am On Sep 23, 2011
amor4ce:

The opinion I've had over the years is that the preference of that colour in Southern Nigeria is due to Edo influence and perhaps a sort of mimicry of their culture. Besides, I have a strong feeling that therein lies the answer to their history. And yes I'm referring to both coral beads and red cloth but more of the former.

Which other nation an be described as the Red People?

red coral was used in other parts of africa as well.

i think trade is the major factor here, not tribe, but that's just my opinion.

the traditional red cloth is used to signify war, captives [slaves] and general juju.

but nowadays it can be used for other things.
Re: Edo/Idu People And The Colour Red by lakal(m): 4:17am On Sep 23, 2011
Coral beads are a very recent introduction to Nigeria, speaking historically, as they came first from the Portuguese. Red beads traditionally were made out of stone (jasper or chalcedony), what is sometimes called "lantana." These beads came from the region of the Niger River near Ilorin.
Re: Edo/Idu People And The Colour Red by amor4ce(m): 11:55am On Sep 23, 2011
lakal:

Coral beads are a very recent introduction to Nigeria, speaking historically, as they came first from the Portuguese. Red beads traditionally were made out of stone (jasper or chalcedony), what is sometimes called "lantana." These beads came from the region of the Niger River near Ilorin.

The famous bronze casts feature a lot of beads implying that it was common to the Bini Kingdom long before the arrival of the Portuguese.
Re: Edo/Idu People And The Colour Red by lakal(m): 12:35pm On Sep 23, 2011
amor4ce:

The famous bronze casts feature a lot of beads implying that it was common to the Bini Kingdom long before the arrival of the Portuguese.

I know. Those are [b]not [/b]coral beads, they are the type I mentioned before, which came from the areas around Ilorin. They were common to both the Yoruba and Edo, and probably other tribes as well.
Re: Edo/Idu People And The Colour Red by Abagworo(m): 1:12pm On Sep 23, 2011
The word "Idu" means leader in Igbo and I think it is Igbos that use "Idu" in reference to ancient Bini.Titled men in Igbo use red cap as a symbol of authority.I have noticed Libyans and other North Africans on that same red cap.
Re: Edo/Idu People And The Colour Red by ifyalways(f): 1:36pm On Sep 23, 2011
Abagworo:

The word "Idu" means leader in Igbo [/b]and I think it is Igbos that use "Idu" in reference to ancient Bini.Titled men in Igbo use red cap as a symbol of authority.I have noticed Libyans and other North Africans on that same red cap.
That is just 1 OF its meaning/translation.

Onicha people refer to their town as Onicha[b] Ado n'idu
and its definitely not pronounced as "idu of to lead".

Idu is more of a title in Onicha,can't get a precise translation but its something that has to do with a "big man/entity". The relationship and similarities btwn Onicha and Edo/Benin cultures,dressing,way of life is 3much and overwhelming.
Re: Edo/Idu People And The Colour Red by Abagworo(m): 4:53pm On Sep 23, 2011
ifyalways:

That is just 1 OF its meaning/translation.

Onicha people refer to their town as Onicha[b] Ado n'idu [/b] and its definitely not pronounced as "idu of to lead".

Idu is more of a title in Onicha,can't get a precise translation but its something that has to do with a "big man/entity". The relationship and similarities btwn Onicha and Edo/Benin cultures,dressing,way of life is 3much and overwhelming.

I think its the same pronunciation as Edo only that the vowels are different.Much of Onitsha migrated from Idu many years ago and that's the reason for the similarity.
Re: Edo/Idu People And The Colour Red by amor4ce(m): 6:26pm On Sep 23, 2011
It seems that Idu is regarded as the progenitor of the Bini people but it almost seems like they do not know what it stands for as I am yet to get any info regarding that from her people today and online.

I would not be surprised if Idu means red colour in Edo language. If yes, then case closed!
Re: Edo/Idu People And The Colour Red by exotik: 4:50am On Sep 24, 2011
I would not be surprised if Idu means red colour in Edo language

in edo,  red means ODODO
while the bright/or shining red means OBA.

and when the OBA is out shining in his full glory, he is dressed in what type of red?

[img]http://1.bp..com/_f9bsZoH3FfU/R85A5Ue3U1I/AAAAAAAAAEk/NwEibrCNqns/s1600/Oba%2Bof%2BBenin.jpg[/img]

OBA ghator kpere, Ise!!!
Re: Edo/Idu People And The Colour Red by amor4ce(m): 8:18am On Sep 24, 2011
So you don't know what Idu means, What about the meaning of Idumota?
Re: Edo/Idu People And The Colour Red by houseofpapy: 9:20pm On Oct 26, 2013
For your fashionable coral beads visit us at houseofpapy84..or add us on BB 3220BFE2.or call us on 08061615523

(1) (Reply)

Is Repainting Houses Against Nigerian Culture? / History Of Oduduwa (photo) / Igbo Groups Of The South South ............the Etche People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.